[SPOILER] Upcoming characters & contents /2505/

Comments

• turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    ronin-san wrote:
    Hey Turul. Who's the character who exists in varying iterations in-game but has yet to be fleshed out in 4* trim? They tried to be coy (in the Q&A video) revealing a male that is getting 4* treatment. They danced around the fact they are playing Magneto, or Iron Man Model 35 vs 40, etc.....

I cannot see rarity levels, but an alt version, which is 4* is unlikely.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    turul wrote:
    ronin-san wrote:
    Hey Turul. Who's the character who exists in varying iterations in-game but has yet to be fleshed out in 4* trim? They tried to be coy (in the Q&A video) revealing a male that is getting 4* treatment. They danced around the fact they are playing Magneto, or Iron Man Model 35 vs 40, etc.....

It's improbable that we'd get a second 3* Spider-Man, Wolverine, or Magneto. I don't see Juggernaut being a 3* unless he's defining top health 3* at ~13K and bring a myriad of face-crushing abilities. Even still...meh. Agent Venom could be viable. a 3* Hawkeye isn't exactly fun. But a timed arrow that turns all tiles of x type into charged tiles has the potential to be fun; broken, even. Yet another meh. Bullseye, however...

2* Bullseye is from the early thinking regime that just pasted together abilities because they didn't have thinkers or funding for the dev team. I could totally see him being revisited and turned into a powerhouse. One thing this game sorely needs is villains.

We've known that Iron Patriot is designed and fleshed out, but I don't consider him Iron Man in 4* Trim. I see him as the first playable Norman Osborne.

IM, Hawkeye, Venom, Juggernaut, Captain America, Spider-Man, Bullseye.......

So who exists in multiple rarities and is yet to get the 4* treatment? Bucky Barnes Captain America? Black (Falcon) Captain America? Sensational Spidey 4* or Iron Spider?

See, they can drop characters who are not top brass from time to time, and if their abilities rock, we won't care. But Squirrel Girl came and went and hasn't made a dent to the meta. But if they kept releasing duds like her, the whales would lose their appetite.

So the sexy characters must show up to keep people salivating. That's why I think they haven't put the kibosh on this thread. It keeps people's interests piqued.

TL;DR does Iron Patriot mean Iron Man in 4* trim, or Norman Osborne: Iron Patriot? If not, let's reevaluate Turul's clues and parse their wording and hidden messages.
  • turul
    ronin-san wrote:
    turul wrote:
    ronin-san wrote:

It's improbable that we'd get a second 3* Spider-Man, Wolverine, or Magneto. I don't see Juggernaut being a 3* unless he's defining top health 3* at ~13K and bring a myriad of face-crushing abilities. Even still...meh. Agent Venom could be viable. a 3* Hawkeye isn't exactly fun. But a timed arrow that turns all tiles of x type into charged tiles has the potential to be fun; broken, even. Yet another meh. Bullseye, however...

2* Bullseye is from the early thinking regime that just pasted together abilities because they didn't have thinkers or funding for the dev team. I could totally see him being revisited and turned into a powerhouse. One thing this game sorely needs is villains.

We've known that Iron Patriot is designed and fleshed out, but I don't consider him Iron Man in 4* Trim. I see him as the first playable Norman Osborne.

IM, Hawkeye, Venom, Juggernaut, Captain America, Spider-Man, Bullseye.......

So who exists in multiple rarities and is yet to get the 4* treatment? Bucky Barnes Captain America? Black (Falcon) Captain America? Sensational Spidey 4* or Iron Spider?

See, they can drop characters who are not top brass from time to time, and if their abilities rock, we won't care. But Squirrel Girl came and went and hasn't made a dent to the meta. But if they kept releasing duds like her, the whales would lose their appetite.

So the sexy characters must show up to keep people salivating. That's why I think they haven't put the kibosh on this thread. It keeps people's interests piqued.

TL;DR does Iron Patriot mean Iron Man in 4* trim, or Norman Osborne: Iron Patriot? If not, let's reevaluate Turul's clues and parse their wording and hidden messages.

Are you sure they said that an alt version will come as 4*?
    ( I dont remember this, an currently unable to watch the video again )
  • ronin_san
    turul wrote:
    ronin-san wrote:

Are you sure they said that an alt version will come as 4*?
    ( I dont remember this, an currently unable to watch the video again )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyy71stDjX4&t=11m30s

Casey starts talking about different versions of the same character. IM35 isn't *worse* than IM40, except that they're different rarities. They also mention picking characters who are being rereleased in different rarities because they are iconic.

SO when he says iconic and "revisiting existing character". That immediately dismisses Juggernaut. Magneto has been voted as the top Comic Book villain of all time by IGN. Yeah yeah, IGN, but still. TOP VILLAIN. ICON of Marvel. Juggernaut is the Mongol of the Marvel universe. He's powerful. Sure. But he will NEVER be the featured, iconic villain that draws ticket sales. That goes to Magneto. Kang. Ultron. Red Skull. Doom. If we're talking Daredevil in the first two weeks of April, then Kingpin or Bullseye...

Now think about iconic heroes worth revisiting in varying rarities.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    In terms of iconic characters, we're looking at:

Iron Man, Captain America, Wolverine, Magneto, Hulk, Spider-Man

These are the characters which extend beyond even minor comic book fandom. That is, people who have no interest whatsoever - never read a comic book or watched a superhero tv show/movie, would still be likely to be able to name. The list could probably be extended to include Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye and Loki given the influence of the Avengers movie (Hiddleston's kind of a big deal on tumblr).

We can scratch Wolverine.
    Iron Man and Captain America have new variants in Avengers NOW/Rage of Ultron (Superior Iron Man and Falcon America/Captain Falcon), plus the undoubtedly popular Hulkbuster Armour will be featured in Age of Ultron.
    Hulk has a ton of variants, although the most requested is probably Red Hulk - and that's not Banner, so would you really want to face the combined health pool of 3* Hulk + possibly 4* Red Hulk? I didn't think so.
    Spider-Man also has a ton of variants, and is arguably the most iconic Marvel character (2nd most iconic superhero after Superman). This is probably the one character that I could see a wide range of people getting excited about.
    Lastly there's Magneto. His "iconic" appearance is relatively unchanged, so it would be interesting to see what they go with. The existing Magnetos have somewhat defensively skewed abilities, so a 4* Magneto with a focus on attack (or simply "villainy") would be interesting.

Almost everyone else falls under the label of "comic book popular". These are characters which are well known amongst comic fans and/or otherwise known amongst geeky/nerdy people even if you're not familiar with the comic itself. Deadpool is "comic book popular" but he's also pretty divisive - there's not much middle ground, you either love him or hate him. Same goes for Cyclops and Venom, imo. Then there are the characters that aren't divisive but maybe just have a smaller, niche following: Daredevil, Punisher, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Colossus, Ms./Captain Marvel, Doctor Doom, etc.
    Cyclops is probably too new to be getting a variant straight away, and Ms./Captain Marvel might not be popular enough for Kamala Khan to warrant being the third variant added to the game ahead of some of the other picks. Venom is probably the best pick from that selection, there's a wide choice in variants and has probably been long overdue for a higher rarity.

Still, I'd expect to see one of the major iconics get a variant - probably Iron Man, Captain America/Falcon, or Spidey.
  • bcas76
    bcas76 Posts: 81 Match Maker
    No, no mention of a specific rarity level for the retread, but there is mention of several "in the pipeline" and a limited number of characters that they can release. It's unclear by the last part if the limitation is simply the release schedule, Disney/Marvel directives, or the characters that average people will recognize (Fantomex would be great, but who knows who he is? We do, because we're nerds.). Nevertheless, dude seemed really excited about the new iteration and emphasized ICONIC in a way that is now seared into my brain. I will always think of him when I hear that word...

But who's left to get super excited about? I'd like Bullseye to get a non-DA version, like Daken, but who gets super excited about Bullseye? Iron Patriot is not Iron Man and therefore not an iteration. It feels to me like a 2* is getting a 3* treatment, so maybe if you really love Matt Fraction you'd be stoked for some Hawkeye (Hawk-Guy) variant. At least I would.

As an aside, I know they do lots of work and probably work long hours leading to many hardships in life and love, etc., but I'm slightly envious that they get to play at work on live servers, competing with the rest of us, and get paid to do it. Technically I'm doing the same thing when I play at work, versus actually working, but they get to do it out in the open instead of hiding in their offices pretending to be working and risking getting fired.
  • turul
    Don't make me point out the hint telling you which alt-version can be expected icon_e_smile.gif
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    " wrote:
    Sophixin]"]"A telepath. A shapeshifter. This month is getting interesting…"

so... it's safe to say that emma frost is going to be the next character? icon_razz.gif

I actually think these are separate hints for the two characters that will be released this month.

Since they're actively celebrating Women in Marvel month, I think both will be female.

This cements my suspicion that the Kamala Khan version of Ms. Marvel will be the shapeshifter. Her solo title's pretty popular, and she and Carol Danvers are pretty much the flagship female characters for Marvel right now.

Telepath + Turul's X-Men 1 cover hint + female = Jean Grey, who is definitely more on a 4* power level than Emma Frost. If I'm right, I'm wondering if she'll have some kind of crazy passive resurrection ability like in Marvel vs Capcom.
  • If goddess is a Thor, Iron patriot can totally be considered an interation of IM.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    ronin-san wrote:
    Now think about iconic heroes worth revisiting in varying rarities.

I'd hope for Spider Man in that case.

star.pngstar.png Bagman
    star.pngstar.pngstar.png Spider Man Classic
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png Spider Man Symbiote Costume (Secret Wars?) ...or maybe his most powerful version Spider Ham...
  • ronin_san
    bcas76 wrote:
    No, no mention of a specific rarity level for the retread, but dude seemed really excited about the new iteration and emphasized ICONIC in a way that is now seared into my brain. I will always think of him when I hear that word...

But who's left to get super excited about? I'd like Bullseye to get a non-DA version, like Daken, but who gets super excited about Bullseye? Iron Patriot is not Iron Man and therefore not an iteration. It feels to me like a 2* is getting a 3* treatment, so maybe if you really love Matt Fraction you'd be stoked for some Hawkeye (Hawk-Guy) variant. At least I would.

ME. I get excited about Bullseye the detrapper, eg Loki the tile converter. What if Bullseye puts down traps eg Daredevil, Doom, Fury and has the ability to detonate ALL traps, no matter the owner? It fits the character, being the planner; the maniacal psychopath.

He's also a sniper / sharpshooter. How else is he going to kill Elektra?

13574_1242093979659_498_498.jpg

What about a Ronin 4* variant of Clint? That has the potential to be deadly. He's not Iconic, though.

11231L.jpg

So I keep going back to Hulkbuster Ironman or Magneto. Iceman would be awesome, too.
  • turul
    "A telepath. A shapeshifter. This month is getting interesting…"

I can't hold back the information anymore - These are two separate characters.
  • ronin-san wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    I mean, it's gonna be Iron Patriot, right? Aren't we all expecting this? Dark Avengers?

Give it another watch. The way they worded it, I *REALLY* got the feeling it's an existing character that's getting a 4* coat of paint.

Here's what we know.

MALE.
    Existing character in-game.
    Not currently a 4*.
    They mentioned Iron Man and Magneto in their chat. I didn't take that as red herring.
    "Who wants to play a Marvel game without Wolverine".
    "REALLY EXCITED FOR THIS GUY".

I would bank on Apocalypse Mags, Spectacular Spider-Man, Hulkbuster IM....

The Dark Horse votes would be:
    Juggernaut, Venom, Bullseye (who else can kill Elektra?), DOOM, Red Hulk...........Loki if we're doing a Infinity Gauntlet storyline and he gets the Mind Gem. I would assume 4* Loki, if at all, drops this summer to coincide with the comic release. I would gamble that Doom drops when Secret Wars drops. So similarly would I expect a 3* Venom at that point, since Venom came as a result of the original Secret Wars.

Woman of Marvel Month...Male 4*...hmmmm
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 628 Critical Contributor
    ronin-san wrote:
    bcas76 wrote:
    I'd like Bullseye to get a non-DA version, like Daken, but who gets super excited about Bullseye?

ME. I get excited about Bullseye the detrapper, eg Loki the tile converter. What if Bullseye puts down traps eg Daredevil, Doom, Fury and has the ability to detonate ALL traps, no matter the owner? It fits the character, being the planner; the maniacal psychopath.
    He's also a sniper / sharpshooter. How else is he going to kill Elektra?

ME as well!!! I've brought it up multiple times in other threads - I'd love for them to add a ***Bullseye (Classic) someday. Anyone of a certain age who's read the best-ever Daredevil run (by Frank Miller) would likely rank Bullseye and that classic costume of his among the most iconic, deadly, and cool-as-**** Marvel villains of all time.

bullseye_miller.jpg
  • Sullstar
    Sullstar Posts: 74 Match Maker
    Women of Marvel Month.

Popular Male character already in the game.

Could be getting a Lady Deadpool.

Still hoping the sharpshooter is Domino, but a 3 or 4* Bullseye would be cool
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    I think it makes a lot of sense for the shape-shifter to be Kamala Khan. Especially considering the critical and commercial success of her new series.

They released Squirrel Girl as a response to her new launch, so Marvel might want the new Ms. Marvel in MPQ as an integrated marketing move.
    8ghwHwZl.jpg

Also, considering Agents of SHIELD, I wouldn't be surprised if some Inhumans start showing up here.
  • turul wrote:
    "A telepath. A shapeshifter. This month is getting interesting…"

I can't hold back the information anymore - These are two separate characters.

I thought they were separate. No clue how they combined them. The only ones I knew you combined was female and shapeshifter.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    turul wrote:
    ronin-san wrote:

This makes me wonder - Alt version (so something that exists) that is not likely to be 4*.

Complete re-vamp of IM40, so they can flip switch when he rotates back in, get an iconic character some use?
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Trisul wrote:
    I think it makes a lot of sense for the shape-shifter to be Kamala Khan. Especially considering the critical and commercial success of her new series.

They released Squirrel Girl as a response to her new launch, so Marvel might want the new Ms. Marvel in MPQ as an integrated marketing move.
    8ghwHwZl.jpg

Also, considering Agents of SHIELD, I wouldn't be surprised if some Inhumans start showing up here.
    It is Women of Marvel month
    Alternate 2/3 star versions: Check
    Not obvious 4 Star: Check
  • turul
    Some ability teasers:

shapeshifter:
    - ... Burst of Health™ ...
    - ... select one tile to be green ...
    - ... team damage ...

telepath:
    - i can has free AP