[SPOILER] Upcoming characters & contents /2505/

Comments

• Malcrof wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Either it was a deliberate mislead, and it's someone like Fin Fang Foom (who I doubt),

would you have bet on Devil Dino?

I think there's a chance it's Fin Fang Foom, but I'd expect him to be a 4* anniversary character, not a random 3* introduced in mid-summer. He also doesn't fit any of Turul's hints.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    d0nk3y wrote:
    turul wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    Any ideas on stockpiled tokens being usable in the vault?

Dont know about that. But the vault itself might be "resetable".

Reset the vault with a new set of [number] covers to collect?
    Take a reward from the vault?
    OPEN THE VAULT?
    Take [number] rewards from the vault?
    RESET VAULT?

Oh, I can't wait to get thoroughly disappointed by this!

Ha! This was my exact reaction too.
  • bcas76 wrote:
    I get that Marvel is downplaying or outright excluding characters for which they do not own film rights from promotional material, merchandise, and even from comic books. That makes sense: why give free advertising for a rival company's films?

I also understand that Marvel fully utilizes every possible avenue, including games, to market their own films and comics. I also realize that the FF film is coming out soon.

I still don't see how this would prohibit MPQ from using non-MCU characters in the game. The Fantastic Four are in other games. There are mutants and FF characters in MPQ. MPQ has released FF characters since the "Screw Fox" initiative is rumored to have begun.

The hint is so specific they might as well say "the next character is a member of the Fantastic Four." But it can't be, right? Maybe it's Yuri Gagarin.
    they aren't in anything recent or relevant, plz read thru this thread for evidence on anti-fantastic 4
  • bcas76
    bcas76 Posts: 81 Match Maker
    I have, and have been reading about the FF blackout for over a year. I'm not unfamiliar with the evidence or arguments. I'm just not convinced. I still think it's Yuri G. Or Phantom Spaceman.

That said, it totally could be Fin Fang Foom. Alien, 1961, middle finger to Fox. We shall see.
  • bcas76 wrote:
    I have, and have been reading about the FF blackout for over a year. I'm not unfamiliar with the evidence or arguments. I'm just not convinced. I still think it's Yuri G. Or Phantom Spaceman.

That said, it totally could be Fin Fang Foom. Alien, 1961, middle finger to Fox. We shall see.
    if you're not convinced that has nothing to do with the reality of the situation.

MCU is a predictor of MPQ.

Your personal disbelief has no bearings.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    If its not Ben or Reed or Herbie or etc etc etc, it can't be the Skrulls, either.

They are all under the Fox agreement. Mole Man and everyone else, too.

We already made a list.

It's either gonna be all in or all out, at this point.
  • bcas76
    bcas76 Posts: 81 Match Maker
    raisinbman wrote:
    bcas76 wrote:

if you're not convinced that has nothing to do with the reality of the situation.

MCU is a predictor of MPQ.

Your personal disbelief has no bearings.

Really. Thanks for clarifying that icon_neutral.gif

So, the two unconfirmed ones I saw were
    a mutant who used to shoot light at people but is now vampire and Norman Osborn doing some creative Tony Stark cosplay

Anybody else seen or heard anything about the first one? Obviously the second has been in development and might just never be released.
  • bcas76 wrote:
    Obviously the second has been in development and might just never be released.

I suspect the second one is waiting for them to finish up the Dark Reign story, which they said they were going to do at some point. At the rate they're releasing new story PVEs, though, it's likely be 2037 or so before we see it.
  • I can't wrap my head around Marvel black balling the Fox properties. They are NOT getting those rights back. They ARE getting money for these releases as well.

I fully understand not throwing their money at boosting Fox's units, if I saw Fox's news coverage, I wouldn't want to put any money in their pockets either #ShadeThrown, but it seems silly to essentially embargo them.

I think EVERYONE would be better off with Marvel trying to negotiate more creative control in unifying the universes, than the stand-off going on. Both Sony and Marvel will profit from the Spiderman arrangement.
    - Unreall
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    I think that the timing of that Asian Persuasion is a bit too coincidental with the picture of that Ginger Zombie from a month or so, ago.

When are peyote saying that they saw this character in the files or online? If it was AFTER that character got announced for Hollywood Reinvigoration, it's probably just fan fare.
  • I can't wrap my head around Marvel black balling the Fox properties. They are NOT getting those rights back. They ARE getting money for these releases as well.

I fully understand not throwing their money at boosting Fox's units, if I saw Fox's news coverage, I wouldn't want to put any money in their pockets either #ShadeThrown, but it seems silly to essentially embargo them.

I think EVERYONE would be better off with Marvel trying to negotiate more creative control in unifying the universes, than the stand-off going on. Both Sony and Marvel will profit from the Spiderman arrangement.
    - Unreall

They're not getting any X-Men rights back. They might get the Fantastic Four back, like they got Daredevil back. Eventually, they almost certainly will, because there will probably be enough of a downturn in superhero films' box office that Fox won't be willing to throw money at a property they've never made much off of. The studios are pretty much at the open warfare stage, and are both doing petty stuff to undercut each other; for example, Fox only put Quicksilver into Days of Future Past after Marvel announced him for Avengers 2.

I think Marvel's plan - at least their rationalization - is that there's a finite amount of money people will spend on licensed comics stuff, and they'd prefer that all of it go to properties they get 100% of the proceeds for and that only promote their products. I don't think that's actually 100% accurate - the money I'm not spending on Fantastic Four stuff isn't going to Iron Man stuff - but I think that this is less about businesses acting rationally and more people acting like people. And people are not, as a rule, dependably rational.

Fox and Marvel would both benefit form working together, but it's simply not going to happen in the short term. Long-term, any number of things could happen to bring things closer together.

- Unreall
    If you try REALLY HARD to kill something(Fantastic Four) it'll probably die. Especially if you control all it's non-movie outlets. Sure, it wasn't as horrible as Daredevil/Ghost Rider/etc.(I think there's a link for past horrible Marvel movies even in this thread already).
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    I can't wrap my head around Marvel black balling the Fox properties. They are NOT getting those rights back. They ARE getting money for these releases as well.

- Unreall

They're not getting any X-Men rights back. They might get the Fantastic Four back, like they got Daredevil back. Eventually, they almost certainly will, because there will probably be enough of a downturn in superhero films' box office that Fox won't be willing to throw money at a property they've never made much off of. The studios are pretty much at the open warfare stage, and are both doing petty stuff to undercut each other; for example, Fox only put Quicksilver into Days of Future Past after Marvel announced him for Avengers 2.

I think Marvel's plan - at least their rationalization - is that there's a finite amount of money people will spend on licensed comics stuff, and they'd prefer that all of it go to properties they get 100% of the proceeds for and that only promote their products. I don't think that's actually 100% accurate - the money I'm not spending on Fantastic Four stuff isn't going to Iron Man stuff - but I think that this is less about businesses acting rationally and more people acting like people. And people are not, as a rule, dependably rational.

Fox and Marvel would both benefit form working together, but it's simply not going to happen in the short term. Long-term, any number of things could happen to bring things closer together.

I think the motivation is as simple as 'Fox is doing a sheep job, and we can make good movies now'.

I mean, they reconciled with Sony and even are collaborating now, meaning they're willing to work with outsiders and aren't just trying to ruin everyone else's day.

But who knows, Fox and Marvel could just hate each other.
  • OneenO
    OneenO Posts: 75 Match Maker
    So, the two unconfirmed ones I saw were
    a mutant who used to shoot light at people but is now vampire and Norman Osborn doing some creative Tony Stark cosplay

Anybody else seen or heard anything about the first one? Obviously the second has been in development and might just never be released.
    Jubilee. There was a pic floating around facebook displaying her powers. Not sure how accurate but she is a mutant who shoots light and is now a vampire.
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 806 Critical Contributor
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    I can't wrap my head around Marvel black balling the Fox properties. They are NOT getting those rights back. They ARE getting money for these releases as well.

- Unreall

Ben's explanation is correct in every sense from the way Marvel/Disney is looking at the properties that Fox has the rights to. There is one other big reason that has not been mentioned. What Fox is doing is not representative of the comic and they put the comic people in a weird place. Do you find a way to retrofit the comic to match the movie. Or do you keep it the same. The problem is eithere way is a losing proposition for the Marvel Comics branch. Change the FF to match with Fox's movie and fans would have a fit, I know I would. Keep it the same and those who go see the movie and pick up an issue while at their favorite bookstore think to themselves that's nothing like what I saw in the movie. For all of the business reason Ben Griimm mentioned and the potential creative issues with the comic Marvel took the way out of canceling the comic and allowing Fox to drive the FF mythology wherever they want to take it but they are no longer going to help.

Back on topic, this has to be one of the FF based on the clue and I agree it will be Secret Wars based which seems to be the current way Marvel plans on using the characters in the near term.
    If it's The Thing I do not want to be in Ben Grimm's bracket. I don't think he will sleep for the entire length of the PvE which gives his covers. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Next 4* candidate
    dpQx3sC.jpg?1
  • Sullstar
    Sullstar Posts: 74 Match Maker
    turul wrote:
    Next 4* candidate
    dpQx3sC.jpg?1

I reckon X-Force Deadpool, don't think we'll get a 3rd mags and I don't think any others there should get 4* treatment (except maybe Rogue)

Aside, brilliant art from a brilliant series
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    turul wrote:
    Next 4* candidate
    dpQx3sC.jpg?1
    oh, interesting! ... but there is a lot of characters I don't even recognize and other who are already in the game. My science of comics is limited, I must confess icon_e_confused.gif .
  • turul wrote:
    Next 4* candidate
    dpQx3sC.jpg?1
    I think this is first time in history of MPQ Turul is wrong, I don't see Shuma gorath

Hint: The drawing is X-Force(no, not just Wolverine you sillies) vs (Some mutants?)
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Who's the flying flame guy top right?

Edit: Correct me where i'm wrong, or just don't know who they are (left to right, by row-ish starting top left)
    Edit 2: nevermind, found it I think

Jean Grey, Gambit?, Nightcrawler, Sunfire
    X-23, Mags, Silver Samurai, Psylocke
    Rogue, Wild Child, Sabretooth, Deadpool, Wolvie, Fantomex
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Welp... that's a doozy, Turul.

Helpful research note: that's the variant cover of Uncanny X-Force #11, which is issue #1 of the Dark Angel storyline.

If Turul is referencing the underlying comic involved, then the "oh poop!" character who's a very very logical 4* would be...
    Jean Grey, who appears with Xavier in front of Wolvie et al. at the end of the issue. Alternate universes -- they're faaaaan tastic!

If it's just someone who's in the artwork itself, the best possibilities are....
    Rogue, who's already out there in the rumor mill

or....
    Sabretooth. To get in early on this: Nerf Sabretooth!!!!

Everyone else is either already in the game (X-Force Wolvie, D-pool, Psylocke, Xavier, etc.) or highly unlikely to be a 4* (Nightcrawler, Fantomex, etc.)
This discussion has been closed.