[SPOILER] Upcoming characters & contents /2505/

Comments

• stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    turul wrote:
    I managed to get some info about vault contents, but please consider thismight just be a developer's test version.

175x two-stars
    42x Health Packs (dont know if single or multipack)
    30x 1500iso
    25x Featured weekly DDQ heroes
    12x 250HP
    9x three-stars
    __________________ ^^^^ 293x
    ?x four-stars
    ?x 1000HP
    _________
    total: 300

I hope this is not what they really come up with. Way too diluted, though still better than the odds with tacos now. I wish they would just add all the characters that are either a) boosted that week b) featured in a pvp event that week or c) boosted in any pve that week. This way when you pull something you get the most utility out of it right away. Throw in some health packs, hp and iso and top it off at like 75 items and be done.
  • johnnyzero
    johnnyzero Posts: 97 Match Maker
    175x two-stars =58%
    42x Health Packs (dont know if single or multipack)=14%
    30x 1500iso =10%
    25x Featured weekly DDQ heroes=8%
    12x 250HP=4%
    9x three-stars=3%
    __________________ ^^^^ 293x =98%
    ?x four-stars + ?x 1000HP =2%
    _________
    total: 300=100%

It seems right in line with what I'd expect. It's an improvement over current odds in the DPDQ which from memory returns "3 star or HP" 14 % of the time where as this returns 3* or HP 17% of the time. Not to mention the fact that 1500 ISO and Healthpack(s) are a much better option than the 2*s (or maybe even the 3*s depending on your situation) currently offered from Taco Tokens. And as they stated in the video, your odds will only get better as you pull from the vault.
  • From the patch notes for R78:

"Time: 1961 Place: Space"
  • I guess they got Marvel to play ball. I can't offhand think of how else to interpret that. Unless it's the Skrulls or something.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    I guess they got Marvel to play ball. I can't offhand think of how else to interpret that. Unless it's the Skrulls or something.

Or.... something....
    387011-14223-cosmo_large.jpg

icon_e_smile.gif
  • Also from space and debuted in 1961:

pants9.jpg
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Marvel_Comics_superhero_debuts

Right with you there Ben, I am not sure either. There aren't a lot of options.

Let's ASSUME... it's not a brand new new character.

2* or 3* Sue Storm?

(Even part of me thinks if Marvel are cutting back on everything FF related, that for consistency, devs should actually retire the 3 existing FF's that are in game. I could really use the roster slots).

Unless it's a more historic Groot variant? But that seems unlikely.

Though... I am still not sure.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    johnnyzero wrote:
    175x two-stars =58%
    42x Health Packs (dont know if single or multipack)=14%
    30x 1500iso =10%
    25x Featured weekly DDQ heroes=8%
    12x 250HP=4%
    9x three-stars=3%
    __________________ ^^^^ 293x =98%
    ?x four-stars + ?x 1000HP =2%
    _________
    total: 300=100%

It seems right in line with what I'd expect. It's an improvement over current odds in the DPDQ which from memory returns "3 star or HP" 14 % of the time where as this returns 3* or HP 17% of the time. Not to mention the fact that 1500 ISO and Healthpack(s) are a much better option than the 2*s (or maybe even the 3*s depending on your situation) currently offered from Taco Tokens. And as they stated in the video, your odds will only get better as you pull from the vault.

I very, very, very much hope they remove Health Packs from this equation. We now have 10, and earned packs cannot be used when you need them the most, as they will be used up the first times you need healing wherever. I sincerely would prefer 2*s instead, since those can be sold. 250 ISO >>>> random unsellable Health Pack. Perhaps a better option would be boosts.

The vault is only accessible with Taco Tokens, right? So in theory you'd have to play DDQ 150 days to empty a vault, though obviously if you luck out and get the rarest rewards early you just reset the vault.
  • There are only a handful of Marvel characters who debuted in 1961. The Fantastic Four, of course, plus Mole Man. Skrulls were in #2, but that was cover-dated January 1962 (though it came out in 1961). Some of the monsters (like Elektro, Googam, and Goom), though Fin Fang Foom is the only one I can think of from 1961 that there's even a chance could make it into the game. Groot was 1960 and is in the game. Ant-Man (really just Hank Pym then) came out the same month as the Skrulls. Dr. Druid, called Dr. Droom, and possessing one of the most racist origin stories in comics history. It! the Living Colossus, who has a space connection, but who I have trouble imagining being in the game.
  • One possibility: Guardians of the Galaxy Thing to tie into Secret Wars:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRToQ7xXw30uXFiQrtoZPPVfBG034PGCneavXCX9XI8NtMdcoVcQ
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    One possibility: Guardians of the Galaxy Thing to tie into Secret Wars:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRToQ7xXw30uXFiQrtoZPPVfBG034PGCneavXCX9XI8NtMdcoVcQ

That does appear to be a legitimate workaround the no FF policy.

Though... kinda weird to just randomly have a brand new character from a brand new continuum just appear, though... if this comes to be... I wonder if this is the start of a whole bunch of them now:

The Thing (Secret Wars)
    Spider-Man (Secret Wars)
    Iron Man (Secret Wars)
    etc. etc.

Kinda wish (as Marvel is only going to push them now) that they had their own rostering system or star rating or replaced others or whatever. Eh.
  • TheHood
    TheHood Posts: 107
    SirPhobos wrote:
    From the patch notes for R78:

"Time: 1961 Place: Space"
    4 guys + experimental space voyage goes awry + 1961 = Fantastic Four
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    There are only a handful of Marvel characters who debuted in 1961. The Fantastic Four, of course, plus Mole Man. Skrulls were in #2, but that was cover-dated January 1962 (though it came out in 1961). Some of the monsters (like Elektro, Googam, and Goom), though Fin Fang Foom is the only one I can think of from 1961 that there's even a chance could make it into the game. Groot was 1960 and is in the game. Ant-Man (really just Hank Pym then) came out the same month as the Skrulls. Dr. Druid, called Dr. Droom, and possessing one of the most racist origin stories in comics history. It! the Living Colossus, who has a space connection, but who I have trouble imagining being in the game.

It's Shuma Gorath icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • yogi_ wrote:
    That does appear to be a legitimate workaround the no FF policy.

Though... kinda weird to just randomly have a brand new character from a brand new continuum just appear, though... if this comes to be... I wonder if this is the start of a whole bunch of them now:

The Thing (Secret Wars)
    Spider-Man (Secret Wars)
    Iron Man (Secret Wars)
    etc. etc.

Kinda wish (as Marvel is only going to push them now) that they had their own rostering system or star rating or replaced others or whatever. Eh.

My thought process was more that Marvel wanted them to do a Secret Wars tie-in character, and D3 wanted to introduce someone not in the game, and this is how they reached a compromise. My other thought was that Disney stepped in and overruled Perlmutter, since Disney sees licensing as the be-all end-all, even more important than the movies, and didn't want to shut off any avenues. My suspicion about the FF going forward in the comics is that the characters are probably all going to join other teams, more or less, so that they avoid giving Fox anything to work with creatively.

I'm not sure that Thing is from a different continuity (I haven't read any of the Secret Wars stuff yet); I was thinking that the 616-Thing ends up joining the Guardians because the FF disbands. But someone more familiar with the new stuff may want to correct me on that.
  • Malcrof
    edited June 2015
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    (I haven't read any of the Secret Wars stuff yet

Battleworld is amazing fun, and would make an amazing feature for MPQ, end Dark Reign and bring me Battleworld!

This is a little helper guide for you

http://marvel.com/cards/50/secret_wars_battleworld_checklist

Edit: If you have to pick 1 , choose Ghost Racers.. My wife on the other hand, can't wait to read the Rom-Com that is Starlord and Kitty-Pryde (ala Vision and The Scarlet Witch)
  • Malcrof wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    (I haven't read any of the Secret Wars stuff yet

Battleworld is amazing fun, and would make an amazing feature for MPQ, end Dark Reign and bring me Battleworld!

This is a little helper guide for you

http://marvel.com/cards/50/secret_wars_battleworld_checklist

Edit: If you have to pick 1 , choose Ghost Racers..

I'll probably get to them eventually, but I'm waiting for them to hit Marvel Unlimited. There's usually about a six-month delay there.

But, based on what I know about the concept, I'd love to see them do some events based on it. But, then again, I'd love to see more events, period. The PVE hamster wheel has gotten to the point where I'm tired of pretty much all of them.
  • bcas76
    bcas76 Posts: 81 Match Maker
    I get that Marvel is downplaying or outright excluding characters for which they do not own film rights from promotional material, merchandise, and even from comic books. That makes sense: why give free advertising for a rival company's films?

I also understand that Marvel fully utilizes every possible avenue, including games, to market their own films and comics. I also realize that the FF film is coming out soon.

I still don't see how this would prohibit MPQ from using non-MCU characters in the game. The Fantastic Four are in other games. There are mutants and FF characters in MPQ. MPQ has released FF characters since the "Screw Fox" initiative is rumored to have begun.

The hint is so specific they might as well say "the next character is a member of the Fantastic Four." But it can't be, right? Maybe it's Yuri Gagarin.
  • Malcrof
    bcas76 wrote:
    I get that Marvel is downplaying or outright excluding characters for which they do not own film rights from promotional material, merchandise, and even from comic books. That makes sense: why give free advertising for a rival company's films?

I also understand that Marvel fully utilizes every possible avenue, including games, to market their own films and comics. I also realize that the FF film is coming out soon.

I still don't see how this would prohibit MPQ from using non-MCU characters in the game. The Fantastic Four are in other games. There are mutants and FF characters in MPQ. MPQ has released FF characters since the "Screw Fox" initiative is rumored to have begun.

The hint is so specific they might as well say "the next character is a member of the Fantastic Four." But it can't be, right? Maybe it's Yuri Gagarin.

Skrulls were the most important marvel space item from 1961. FF has a series called Eath 1961.. alternate universe..

Maybe they want the FF in the game, so people do not forget them as they phase out the characters.. until they later of course relaunch them .....
  • bcas76 wrote:

There's been some sort of a licensing freeze on the FF film characters for about the last year - it seemed to go into effect last summer, with the 2* Torch in this game being the last thing I've been able to find released anywhere, and it had probably been approved when the 3* Torch was. Newer games have had a total blackout of FF characters - Contest of Champions, for example, doesn't have anybody - no FF members, no Doom, so Silver Surfer. Artists were told not to use FF characters in sketch cards, and Bleeding Cool had a scan of the memo sent out. FF and X-Men characters were being edited out of existing artwork and left off the big 2015 character poster. Something was definitely going on.

That said, the "hint" was so unambiguous that something's changed. Either it was a deliberate mislead, and it's someone like Fin Fang Foom (who I doubt), or the devs got permission to put one of the characters from the FF in the game. And what's not clear to me is, assuming it's the latter, whether that's a minor one-off related to the original contract between the devs and Marvel or something along those lines, or whether there's a major shift in policy regarding the licensing of FF characters.
  • Malcrof
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Either it was a deliberate mislead, and it's someone like Fin Fang Foom (who I doubt),

would you have bet on Devil Dino?
This discussion has been closed.