[SPOILER] Upcoming characters & contents /2505/

Comments

• jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    bcas76 wrote:
    Plus, it's not true to the character.

Unfortunately, 3* Spidey is entirely TOO true to the character he is labeled as ("Classic Spiderman"). He webs up opponents and wears them down, insults them and photographs them. He has to special attacks. Not the most fun in the MPQ architecture, not on offense. Useful, but not fun.

Since the game's launch, I always found his yellow skill out of place. Blue is a no-brainer, and when purple was finalized, I thought it was a neat way to introduce his trademark tingling. I've never really thought of Spidey as a medic though. Granted, most of my exposure has been from the films and animated series, but I doubt that they would leave that out if it were so central to the character.
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    jojeda654 wrote:
    bcas76 wrote:
    Plus, it's not true to the character.

Unfortunately, 3* Spidey is entirely TOO true to the character he is labeled as ("Classic Spiderman"). He webs up opponents and wears them down, insults them and photographs them. He has to special attacks. Not the most fun in the MPQ architecture, not on offense. Useful, but not fun.

Since the game's launch, I always found his yellow skill out of place. Blue is a no-brainer, and when purple was finalized, I thought it was a neat way to introduce his trademark tingling. I've never really thought of Spidey as a medic though. Granted, most of my exposure has been from the films and animated series, but I doubt that they would leave that out if it were so central to the character.

In a serious interpretation of the character, sure. In a Saturday morning version of the character, it's spot on. Ironically, just this morning I was imagining MPQ with sounds and background music from those trippy Marvel cartoons from the early '80s LOL.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    They NEED a new, better Spider-man, as the change in true healing abandoned 3* Spidey to irrelevance. Whether it's Morales or Drew or whomever, there needs to be a good 4* spidey as a marquee hero.

What do you think Spidey should be able to do that the current one does not?

Looking at the 4*s, it's clear that "marquee characters as legendary characters" is not a thing in MPQ.

Yet?

Look. At this rate I'd accept a Spider-Man 2099 with claw fingers, a Ben Reilly with Concussive Webbing, a Miles with "eletro shock webbing", an Agent Venom, etc.

They've done an absolute **** job implementing Spider-Man's ethos into this game. Period. Name one good Spider-Man derived character in this game. Doc Ock? Nope. Venom? Bag-Man?

Spider-Man needs a web-sling. He needs to be able to web a sewer grate into an enemy's face. He needs a web SWING. He needs rapid reflexes. If ANYONE deserved Hawkeye's old avoid, it's Spider-Man. Nope. What we got is an absolute farce.

If we're going classic Spider-Man; you know, the old early 80s one, then fine. A web shield is fine. But give me the tandom web cutlass and let me fight pirates. Because if you're going to make a real joke of him, at least make him worth spending coins and iso.

Who wouldn't want a 2* Bobby and Firestar to go along with a revamped 2* Spider-Man that uses a web cutlass and shield? I'd buy roster slots for that.
  • it's not rocket science. Yellow needs to do damage based on number of web tiles. Purple protect tiles need to be web tiles also. Done. Interesting character achieved.
  • ronin-san wrote:
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    They NEED a new, better Spider-man, as the change in true healing abandoned 3* Spidey to irrelevance. Whether it's Morales or Drew or whomever, there needs to be a good 4* spidey as a marquee hero.

What do you think Spidey should be able to do that the current one does not?

Looking at the 4*s, it's clear that "marquee characters as legendary characters" is not a thing in MPQ.

Yet?

Look. At this rate I'd accept a Spider-Man 2099 with claw fingers, a Ben Reilly with Concussive Webbing, a Miles with "eletro shock webbing", an Agent Venom, etc.

They've done an absolute **** job implementing Spider-Man's ethos into this game. Period. Name one good Spider-Man derived character in this game. Doc Ock? Nope. Venom? Bag-Man?

Spider-Man needs a web-sling. He needs to be able to web a sewer grate into an enemy's face. He needs a web SWING. He needs rapid reflexes. If ANYONE deserved Hawkeye's old avoid, it's Spider-Man. Nope. What we got is an absolute farce.

If we're going classic Spider-Man; you know, the old early 80s one, then fine. A web shield is fine. But give me the tandom web cutlass and let me fight pirates. Because if you're going to make a real joke of him, at least make him worth spending coins and iso.

Who wouldn't want a 2* Bobby and Firestar to go along with a revamped 2* Spider-Man that uses a web cutlass and shield? I'd buy roster slots for that.
    Maybe carnage will be good though. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    ArkPrime wrote:
    it's not rocket science. Yellow needs to do damage based on number of web tiles. Purple protect tiles need to be web tiles also. Done. Interesting character achieved.

I like that. Even better than simply boosting his tile damage like I suggested. Sounds fun to play!

I always thought what they intended with Venom and Spidey was that they would feed each other in an escalating web frenzy. Well, that never panned out. And both are very old designs. Almost all the old designs have been overhauled. Spidey and Venom are loooooong overdue, both way behind the meta.
  • ArkPrime wrote:
    it's not rocket science. Yellow needs to do damage based on number of web tiles. Purple protect tiles need to be web tiles also. Done. Interesting character achieved.

I like that. Even better than simply boosting his tile damage like I suggested. Sounds fun to play!

I always thought what they intended with Venom and Spidey was that they would feed each other in an escalating web frenzy. Well, that never panned out. And both are very old designs. Almost all the old designs have been overhauled. Spidey and Venom are loooooong overdue, both way behind the meta.
    to be fair, a long time ago before I played MPQ, Venom and spidey were actual threats. It sounds like you're talking about that/aware of that, though.

That being said, nerfing spidey into the ground and never touching him again isn't a solution.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Speaking of Spider-Man's rework........................
  • ronin_san
    turul wrote:

Hopefully a rework and not a 4* iteration.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    ronin-san wrote:
    turul wrote:

Unfortunately I dont have my files with me now, to check that, but 90% its a rework.

Pls wait about 8 hrs for more info icon_e_smile.gif
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    turul wrote:
    ronin-san wrote:
    turul wrote:

Unfortunately I dont have my files with me now, to check that, but 90% its a rework.

BEST.NEWS.EVER!!! Thank u mate:)
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    turul wrote:
    ronin-san wrote:
    turul wrote:

BEST.NEWS.EVER!!! Thank u mate:)

Wow that will be great if it comes true! I always like spidey but he is no longer useful in this meta. The protect tiles has been useful... Before cage came out. Now cage protect tile is just way better than spidey. His stun was not bad... But now we have many other characters that stuns as well and do damage (GT, CM, even gamora). He is really no longs useful.
  • ronin_san
    This adds to my speculation that demiurge had good spider-man ideas that were poo-poo'd because licensing.

Now if we could just change out that brown bag for plastic, bagman can finally suffocate and rest in peace.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Now which spidey? Bag-man or 3* ?
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 628 Critical Contributor
    turul, you have made my day! icon_e_smile.gif Spidey was my 3rd maxed ***, but these days he doesn't see much play outside of Punisher/Spidey/Falcon defensive-play on tougher Gauntlet nodes.

The arrival of this upcoming villain would be a perfect time to balance ol' webhead.
  • Malcrof
    Buret0 wrote:
    I didn't see a 4* Uncle Ben coming. I really didn't.

He would be easy to one shot...
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    More thoughts on Spidey:

The problem with Spidey is that he's niche in MPQ. He needs to be a front-line, obvious choice. Why? Because if you take a random person off the street and ask them to name 4 superheroes, the odds are 99% that one of them will be Spider-man. (I'd say it would be Batman, Superman, Spider-man, and Wonder Woman in some order. Maybe Wolverine and the Hulk sneak in there, too.) While Spidey isn't the most important character within the Marvel comics universe, he is BY FAR their most important character in the real world. And if you're putting out a Marvel superhero game where Spidey is a seldom-used afterthought, you're doing something seriously, seriously unwise.

Think about it -- if you went to a random person and said "There's this game where I can use Spider-man and Hulk and Iron Man to beat bad guys", they'd think "yeah, that sounds right." If you said "There's this game where I can use Ares and the Hood and Daken to fight bad guys"... they'd think "**** is a Daken?" That, to me, is a big-**** marketing fail.

Having said that... If I were revamping Spidey, I'd just give him the Hood's skills and up his health. Twin Pistols becomes his web shooter; Intimidation becomes Angsty Comment or something, and Dormammu's Aid is something tied to spider sense. Boom, good character that everyone will use. Hood could be converted into a low budget kingpin or something.

I'm super interested to see how they're going to revamp Spidey, though!
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    ArkPrime wrote:

Purple protect tiles being web tiles would break his blue in twine, ushering a new era of team perma-stun. It may not be rocket science but it is neither thinking some random cool idea in a few seconds and clicking your tongue at how stupid the devs must be not to come up with something like that. There are a number of variables to consider, ever-increasing with each new mechanic added to the game.

Nevertheless, yay for rework, though I believe that his blue and purple were quite fine. I hope those do not change too much. Also, following on the footsteps of the improvements to Moonstone and 2* Bullseye, this may be a hint that we have indeed entered the next phase of character balancing, now that all 3*s have three powers. Hopefully Hulk and IM40 will follow soon.
  • Malcrof
    Pylgrim wrote:
    ArkPrime wrote:

Purple protect tiles being web tiles would break his blue in twine, ushering a new era of team perma-stun. It may not be rocket science but it is neither thinking some random cool idea in a few seconds and clicking your tongue at how stupid the devs must be not to come up with something like that. There are a number of variables to consider, ever-increasing with each new mechanic added to the game.

Nevertheless, yay for rework, though I believe that his blue and purple were quite fine. I hope those do not change too much. Also, following on the footsteps of the improvements to Moonstone and 2* Bullseye, this may be a hint that we have indeed entered the next phase of character balancing, now that all 3*s have three powers. Hopefully Hulk and IM40 will follow soon.

They better not touch my Hulkbombs... i need them for KK!
  • Malcrof wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:
    I didn't see a 4* Uncle Ben coming. I really didn't.

He would be easy to one shot...

He'd have one power: when Uncle Ben dies, the other characters get +10 AP in their strongest colors.
This discussion has been closed.