[SPOILER] Upcoming characters & contents /2505/

Comments

• DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    However, I would expect to get 4* Miles sooner or later. I have a running theory they are trying to fill in new avengers: http://io9.com/miles-morales-joins-the-avengers-in-marvels-post-secret-1693802926

We have Thoress, Kamala, Vision, Falcon (but 4* cap eventually?) - Miles front and center in the reveal image.

You and me both.

I wouldn't be surprised if this new Spidey was a 2*. I also wouldn't be surprised if it outright replaced Bagman (who could be removed from the game entirely without much disruption or complaint, I think). That would leave a 4* Spidey slot open for Miles.
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    However, I would expect to get 4* Miles sooner or later. I have a running theory they are trying to fill in new avengers: http://io9.com/miles-morales-joins-the-avengers-in-marvels-post-secret-1693802926

We have Thoress, Kamala, Vision, Falcon (but 4* cap eventually?) - Miles front and center in the reveal image.

You and me both.

I wouldn't be surprised if this new Spidey was a 2*. I also wouldn't be surprised if it outright replaced Bagman (who could be removed from the game entirely without much disruption or complaint, I think). That would leave a 4* Spidey slot open for Miles.

But I like it when the AI gets **** with a Bagman TU.
  • DaveR4470

/insert snarky remark

icon_e_wink.gif
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor

Yeah, that last time that happened to me it extended Luke Cage's black and let me hit them harder for longer.

I'm completely hung up on the difference (or lack thereof) between "Classic" and "Original." Spider-Man is a character who always reverts back to his classic look, but it's not like there aren't some significant variations: symbiote/black suit, Iron Spider, the "Other" version with the wrist stingers, to name pure Peter Parker versions. Scarlet Spider and Superior Spider-Man to name versions that are sort of not Peter Parker. And Miles Morales, of course, as a whole separate character.

The difference here is what? The underarm webs? Those always just looked like bad hygiene to me.
  • aesthetocyst
    stowaway wrote:

Yeah, that last time that happened to me it extended Luke Cage's black and let me hit them harder for longer.

Now that is hilarious! Talk about unintended consequences. Points out how outdated Bagman is ... and that CD-affecting powers need to be smarter, shortening those that represent a window (like Cage black), and lengthening those that are a classic countdown to a power execution (just about every other CD in the game (for now))

Thanks for the hint: never take OBW against Cage icon_lol.gif
  • DaveR4470
    I'm completely hung up on the difference (or lack thereof) between "Classic" and "Original."

Original Spider-man was a character introduced in Amazing Fantasy, which was essentially an anthology series. Classic Spider-man is the character as he was in the spun-off, original early Sixties stand-alone Spider-man comic series.

That's how I read it.

If you want to be super-nerdy about it, you could say that Original Spider-man is the initial concept that Kirby claimed he and Joe Simon developed, and Classic Spider-man is the version that Kirby, Stan Lee, and Steve Ditko eventually brought to market....
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    stowaway wrote:

Now that is hilarious! Talk about unintended consequences. Points out how outdated Bagman is ... and that CD-affecting powers need to be smarter, shortening those that represent a window (like Cage black), and lengthening those that are a classic countdown to a power execution (just about every other CD in the game (for now))

I had a whole discussion about this in respect of why Moonstone was losing her ability to steal CD tiles here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29607&start=100#p359120
    Buret0 wrote:
    Part of it is that CD tiles aren't all made the same.

Hood's Intimidation is great if you are trying to get a CD timer to 0. Hood's Intimidation is not as good when you are talking about reducing your own Density tile, Jab tile, or Colossus tank tile.

By contrast, Bagman and OBW can actually help the other team by keeping those tiles active longer.

So there are really three kinds of CD timers:
    1) CD timers that launch an ability at 0;
    2) CD timers that give you an ability until 0;
    3) CD timers that do both (example below).

For instance... I had either an OBW or a Bagman increase the CD tiles on my Furry Friend's tiles. Yes, it was harder to protect them and keep them alive for them to launch their huge assault... however, they also went around gathering a bunch more AP for me before they launched.

Do you use Intimidation on Furry Friends to get to the damage faster or do you want them out there longer?

The problem is, all CD tile manipulation is created with the intent that your CD tiles moving to 0 is good, your enemy's CD tiles moving to 0 is bad.

As I've demonstrated above, this is quite obviously not true in all cases. Part of the issue is that the developers chose to use CD tiles to do all of these things instead of creating a new permanent special tile. Invisibility could have been a CD tile, instead the developers chose to create a permanent. I'm wondering if Colossus, Luke Cage, and Vision's tiles should be "Countdown tiles" in the classic sense, considering the CD abilities are all currently focused on "your CD tiles moving to 0 is good".

Edit:

And how this applies to Moonstone, is that Moonstone 'should' be trying to steal CD timers that reach 0 and then launch an attack or do something else.

The problems likely arose when Moonstone was being asked to steal Jab tiles, Density tiles, Shapeshift tiles, etc.

Essentially, the problem was these "second category" CD tiles. The ones that were abilities or boosts in and of themselves.

Like, if you steal a Jab tile, that's pretty useless unless you have Luke Cage in your party to finish the combo. Then the question is, does that become Moonstone's Jab tile or can Luke Cage use it if he's on your team?

If you steal a density tile, does that mean that your Vision can launch his modified red attack?

If you steal a colossus tile, does that mean that Moonstone should move to the front to tank? What if you already have a colossus in your party... should he move to the front if you steal it? What if you already have a colossus tile in play?

And therein lies the problem. It isn't that Moonstone shouldn't be stealing CD tiles that Countdown to the trigger of an ability, it is that Moonstone shouldn't be using Control Shift to steal these category two "ability until 0" tiles.

That's the underlying issue and what probably costs the developers most of the testing time.
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    turul wrote:
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    Turul -- that's a rework of the existing 3* Spidey, correct? Not a completely new 2* or 4*?

It is a new version: "Original"
    (existing is Spiderman Classic and Bagman)

So I guess new 4*!
    Noooooooo
  • aesthetocyst
    Buret0 wrote:
    stowaway wrote:

I had a whole discussion about this in respect of why Moonstone was losing her ability to steal CD tiles here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29607&start=100#p359120
    [/quote]

Yes, another indicator that the game's basic architecture is not flexible enough to seamlessly accommodate ongoing innovations. Since anticipating all possibilities is never possible, it's always a challenge to make the structure flexible and dynamic enough to accomodate any and all new developments. Clearly, multiple classes of CD tiles are needed, so CD-affecting powers can be more nuanced (and by extension the AI could be more nuanced in its use of and response to CD tiles). Clearly, that was not anticipated.

Not the only example in MPQ. I am sure we'll see more. I wish them luck in retrofitting!
  • TheHood
    TheHood Posts: 107
    There are a lot of SM versions that D3 should add: Back in Black one, Spider-Man 2099, Ben Reilly or Superior Spider-Man (make him a 2* icon_lol.gificon_twisted.gif ).
  • HULKBUSTER REWARD IN GAUNTLET???? IS IT A MISTAKE TURUL!?!??!?!
  • bcas76
    bcas76 Posts: 81 Match Maker
    I'm with stowaway, it's really hard to find much difference between Amazing Fantasy Spider-Man and Amazing Spider-Man. Except I did notice that the AF version had a bizarre Carolina blue spider emblem on the back which they wisely changed to red by Amazing SM #1 (Marvel Unlimited, it's worth it). Either way, exciting!
  • TazFTW
    TazFTW Posts: 695 Critical Contributor
    Enough with the Spider men. Where are the Spider women?
  • TazFTW wrote:
    Enough with the Spider men. Where are the Spider women?
    they can't even get 2*spidermen right, and someone pointed out all the spidey-affliated characters suck...maybe it's best they rest
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    bcas76 wrote:
    I'm with stowaway, it's really hard to find much difference between Amazing Fantasy Spider-Man and Amazing Spider-Man. Except I did notice that the AF version had a bizarre Carolina blue spider emblem on the back which they wisely changed to red by Amazing SM #1 (Marvel Unlimited, it's worth it). Either way, exciting!

I also wonder how will they manage making difference from the two...

btw, Falcon, Cmarvel pvp coming, Hulkbuster will be season reward
  • turul wrote:
    Hulkbuster will be season reward

What? As in, top prize for the Shield Sim?
  • turul
    Kappei wrote:
    turul wrote:
    Hulkbuster will be season reward

What? As in, top prize for the Shield Sim?

The alliance reward
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    ArkPrime wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    ArkPrime wrote:
    it's not rocket science. Yellow needs to do damage based on number of web tiles. Purple protect tiles need to be web tiles also. Done. Interesting character achieved.

Purple protect tiles being web tiles would break his blue in twine, ushering a new era of team perma-stun. It may not be rocket science but it is neither thinking some random cool idea in a few seconds and clicking your tongue at how stupid the devs must be not to come up with something like that. There are a number of variables to consider, ever-increasing with each new mechanic added to the game.
    No it wouldn't. Match purple, get a protect tile. Match blue twice, 2 turn stun. That's 9 ap for a two turn stun. Or 12 ap for a 3 turn stun. Maybe the cap could be three, but that would in no way be broken, and substantially less powerful than most strategies in the game. Hell for 9 blue you can already stun for 3 turns and get charged tiles, and it's a skill that was nerfed into sucking.

Well, it's 3 and 5 which is much easier to achieve than 8-9 of the same colour. The first 2-turn stun costs that much, but afterwards, you get a 3-turn stun for each 5 AP, which nowadays you can achieve only after 15 AP of the same colour. Moreover, replacing lost web tiles would be much easier. As sometimes I have managed to permastun a team with Spidey as it is now, your version would definitely be ripe for abuse.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    turul wrote:
    turul wrote:
    ronin-san wrote:
    turul wrote:
    Speaking of Spider-Man's rework........................

Hopefully a rework and not a 4* iteration.

Unfortunately I dont have my files with me now, to check that, but 90% its a rework.

Pls wait about 8 hrs for more info icon_e_smile.gif

It's Spiderman Original
    Please try to avoid discussing him outside this thread!

- direct damage skill
    - stun skill 1/2 turns, AP cost reducing cover upgrades (base cost=?)
    - random crit placing ability (up to 4)

8TJrRBT.jpg

Am I reading this right? Creating 4 crit? Oh man, if that's the case then it will be very very strong. Will be way more abusive with prof x. Since crit can help you create match 5.
  • turul
    atomzed wrote:

Am I reading this right? Creating 4 crit? Oh man, if that's the case then it will be very very strong. Will be way more abusive with prof x. Since crit can help you create match 5.

He generates 2 + another 2 if enough web tiles present.
    (All abilities generate web tiles, none removes them)
This discussion has been closed.