[SPOILER] Upcoming characters & contents /2505/

Comments

• bcas76
    bcas76 Posts: 81 Match Maker
    That's the problem with the big cosmic types. If you introduce Galactus, even Ultron, with his bazillion hp and endless string of self-healing, critical tile-spamming minions would look up and go, "yeah, I got nothing."
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Any inkling that Cyclops will be out soon?

I ask, because with 2/3/4 being the new "Required Characters", I can totally see another character release, albeit with immediate visibility via heroic tokens and character packs.

It looked like Moonstone got some love this week because of her third ability. Otherwise I'd like to think the required star.pngstar.png isn't just a random rotation.

Then again, Modern Magneto was last week. So much for theories, I guess.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    ronin-san wrote:
    Any inkling that Cyclops will be out soon?

I ask, because with 2/3/4 being the new "Required Characters", I can totally see another character release, albeit with immediate visibility via heroic tokens and character packs.

It looked like Moonstone got some love this week because of her third ability. Otherwise I'd like to think the required star.pngstar.png isn't just a random rotation.

Then again, Modern Magneto was last week. So much for theories, I guess.

Probably 2* Bullseye get's attention first, with his new greeen
  • plz D3 next character needs to be Spider-Raptor icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gif
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    raisinbman wrote:
    plz D3 next character needs to be Spider-Raptor icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gif
    OK, you got me, I have to confess... I made a Google search about Spider-Raptor! icon_e_surprised.gificon_e_wink.gif
    (seems he appeared in Hulk & the Agents of S.M.A.S.H cartoon? I didn't find more info)
  • DrNitroman wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    plz D3 next character needs to be Spider-Raptor icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gif
    OK, you got me, I have to confess... I made a Google search about Spider-Raptor! icon_e_surprised.gificon_e_wink.gif
    (seems he appeared in Hulk & the Agents of S.M.A.S.H cartoon? I didn't find more info)

It's hard to say this without spoilers, but you said you wanted to know more about the character SO:

Yes, I have no idea if he has legit comics history, but they just recently aired a Hulk and the Agents of SMASH(great cartoon if you like sillier Marvel without it being strictly kiddie), and The Leader timetraveled and made Dinos the primary race on Earth thusly making Spider-Raptor a thing.
    Also Devil Dino turned into a mechanical arm having Antonio Banderas-sounding Political World Leader.

tinykitty hilarious and I want to play him.
  • drcassino
    drcassino Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Der_Lex wrote:
    Yeah, either Black Bolt or Reed or Ben would be my guess. Maybe Klaw, but I'd guess they'd save him until the Black Panther movie.

Although the Surfer would be a very cool surprise, even if I'm not expecting him at all.

Given that Klaw is apparently making a cameo in Cap 3, it seems somewhat likely. Most of the other characters, like Namor, are tied up in non-Disney licenses, so they wouldn't be likely to be a priority.
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    drcassino wrote:
    Der_Lex wrote:
    Yeah, either Black Bolt or Reed or Ben would be my guess. Maybe Klaw, but I'd guess they'd save him until the Black Panther movie.

Although the Surfer would be a very cool surprise, even if I'm not expecting him at all.

Given that Klaw is apparently making a cameo in Cap 3, it seems somewhat likely. Most of the other characters, like Namor, are tied up in non-Disney licenses, so they wouldn't be likely to be a priority.

Since Disney owns Marvel, what difference should that make? Parent not play nice with its children? Was Marvel Studios somehow exempted from the acquisition? That would seem wise from the standpoint of preserving creative freedom, but a potential cluster rights-wise.
  • drcassino wrote:
    Der_Lex wrote:

Since Disney owns Marvel, what difference should that make? Parent not play nice with its children? Was Marvel Studios somehow exempted from the acquisition? That would seem wise from the standpoint of preserving creative freedom, but a potential cluster rights-wise.

Universal has rights to Namor, though they revert soon, if they haven't already. Marvel sold film rights to several of its characters before the Disney acquisition; some still are with the studios. Some, like Spider-Man and X-Men, will probably never fully revert to Marvel, others might, and some are kind of complicated (Universal still has distribution rights to Hulk solo films, for example).

Marvel's on good terms with most of the studios it licensed characters to, except Fox, which it apparently has a toxic relationship with, partially because Fox keeps making terrible films with the non-X-Men properties. Marvel has only so far done cross-promotions with MPQ on Marvel Studios films - specifically, Captain America 2, Guardians of the Galaxy (though that was delayed), and Avengers 2. Ant-Man will probably get one too, and Civil War, etc. and expect Thanos in 2017 when Infinity War starts up. Non Marvel Studios films haven't gotten MPQ releases timed to the movies - Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Days of Future Past didn't get any, neither will Fantastic Four or X-Men:Apocalypse in all likelihood.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    I have a feeling we're going to see Nova before very long. Why? He and Morales are the only ANAD Avengers not curently in the game. (Sam's in, and Cap is in, just not as the same person...) As it seems Marvel is positioning that as their "lead' series of the new era, you'd think they'd want to cover all the bases.

They NEED a new, better Spider-man, as the change in true healing abandoned 3* Spidey to irrelevance. Whether it's Morales or Drew or whomever, there needs to be a good 4* spidey as a marquee hero. And I think we'll get one sooner rather than later.

We'll also proably see Drax as a tie-in to some home release of GotG -- a special edition bluray or something like that.

I think the'll eventually finish out the FF, probably in association with the shutdown of the comic and not the film. 2* Thing and 3* Reed. (If you make Ben a 3*, I think, he's too duplicative of Hulk. Put him in as a 2* and he's a logical transition between Juggs and Hulk.)

And we'll see an Ant Man character or two.

That would take care of promotional needs until we get into the 2016 film range and need to start in with Civil War characters, and whatever shakes out of the Battlezone comics.

I think that still leaves slots for "team favorite" chars to be inserted into the lineups. Those will be the interesting ones. Carnage? Would be great. A proper Venom. Silver Surfer and Galactus. More women. Kitty Pryde. Ego the Living Planet. Cosmo the Space Dog. Etc.

Side note: if any of you have smallish kids and are looking for a non-excruciating kiddie-style Marvel show that's okay for very young kids (my daughter is just turning 3), I highly, strongly recommend The Super Hero Squad Show. It's fairly adult-tolerable for a kid's show, and it's got just ENORMOUS levels of inside jokes and references to major Marvel plotlines. The second season is a surprisingly good recreation of the Infinity Gauntlet storyline, for example (with the whole "Thanos keeping Nebula in a half-dead tortured state just to entertain himself" thing being, you know, removed for the kiddies.) A+ recommendation from me. I actually steered my daughter into wanting to watch it because I myself wanted to see what was going to happen. Ridiculously good voice casting, too. Michael Dorn as Ronan the Accuser? Yes please!

Just my $.02. Sorry that they only made two seasons of it.
  • aesthetocyst
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    They NEED a new, better Spider-man, as the change in true healing abandoned 3* Spidey to irrelevance. Whether it's Morales or Drew or whomever, there needs to be a good 4* spidey as a marquee hero.

What do you think Spidey should be able to do that the current one does not?

Looking at the 4*s, it's clear that "marquee characters as legendary characters" is not a thing in MPQ.

Yet?
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    Side note: if any of you have smallish kids, I highly, strongly recommend The Super Hero Squad Show.

My little guy is two and my daughter will be seven in September. We watch Avengers Assemble, Spider-Man Web Warriors, JLA, JLU, and Teen Titans: Go. I know TT:GO isn't as good as the original, but it's fun.
  • DaveR4470 wrote:
    I have a feeling we're going to see Nova before very long. Why? He and Morales are the only ANAD Avengers not curently in the game. (Sam's in, and Cap is in, just not as the same person...) As it seems Marvel is positioning that as their "lead' series of the new era, you'd think they'd want to cover all the bases.

They NEED a new, better Spider-man, as the change in true healing abandoned 3* Spidey to irrelevance. Whether it's Morales or Drew or whomever, there needs to be a good 4* spidey as a marquee hero. And I think we'll get one sooner rather than later.

We'll also proably see Drax as a tie-in to some home release of GotG -- a special edition bluray or something like that.

I think the'll eventually finish out the FF, probably in association with the shutdown of the comic and not the film. 2* Thing and 3* Reed. (If you make Ben a 3*, I think, he's too duplicative of Hulk. Put him in as a 2* and he's a logical transition between Juggs and Hulk.)

And we'll see an Ant Man character or two.

That would take care of promotional needs until we get into the 2016 film range and need to start in with Civil War characters, and whatever shakes out of the Battlezone comics.

I think that still leaves slots for "team favorite" chars to be inserted into the lineups. Those will be the interesting ones. Carnage? Would be great. A proper Venom. Silver Surfer and Galactus. More women. Kitty Pryde. Ego the Living Planet. Cosmo the Space Dog. Etc.

Side note: if any of you have smallish kids and are looking for a non-excruciating kiddie-style Marvel show that's okay for very young kids (my daughter is just turning 3), I highly, strongly recommend The Super Hero Squad Show. It's fairly adult-tolerable for a kid's show, and it's got just ENORMOUS levels of inside jokes and references to major Marvel plotlines. The second season is a surprisingly good recreation of the Infinity Gauntlet storyline, for example (with the whole "Thanos keeping Nebula in a half-dead tortured state just to entertain himself" thing being, you know, removed for the kiddies.) A+ recommendation from me. I actually steered my daughter into wanting to watch it because I myself wanted to see what was going to happen. Ridiculously good voice casting, too. Michael Dorn as Ronan the Accuser? Yes please!

Just my $.02. Sorry that they only made two seasons of it.
    First, you read my mind:

4*Spider Raptor plz D3

They've got a Lego...show now(for kids), that being said I haven't actually watched more than 10 minutes of it but it seemed to be the Teen Titans Go(insert Memes. Lots of Memes.) of Marvel. Marvel's Disney XD lineup is pretty good for kids. Maybe not 3-year-old, but yeah.
    ronin-san wrote:
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    Side note: if any of you have smallish kids, I highly, strongly recommend The Super Hero Squad Show.

My little guy is two and my daughter will be seven in September. We watch Avengers Assemble, Spider-Man Web Warriors, JLA, JLU, and Teen Titans: Go. I know TT:GO isn't as good as the original, but it's fun.

Hulk and the Agents of SMASH, yo. and the above-mentioned Lego show maybe.
  • bcas76
    bcas76 Posts: 81 Match Maker

Damage.

I disagree that Spidey is irrelevant post-true healing. I won't rehash; there's obviously a huge difference between stun-locking/leaving a match with full health and spamming protect tiles, but those protect tiles got me through Ultron twice with a little help from GSBW (or BWGS, I'm agnostic on the abbrev). He has value still, but he's really niche when he used to dominate. Daredevil, Kamala, and Luke Cage make him mostly irrelevant.

Why? Because those characters deal damage. True, none of them heal, stun, and create protect tiles, but he takes a roster spot and ap away from characters who can end matches instead of merely prolonging them. Are you going to use those yellow ap on web bandages or righteous uppercut? Or blue on magnetized projectiles?

Plus, it's not true to the character. The proportional strength of a spider...means nothing in reality, but it's intended to mean he's stronger than average humans. Spider-Man doesn't just jump around and shoot webbing at opponents until they get tired or bored and quit, he fights them. Then he webs them up for the police.

Fixing him: at this point, changing his abilities yet again might provoke the least response ever for MPQ, maybe a collective shrug at best. You have to introduce a variant, and if you read the comics or play Spider-Man Unlimited (this is not an endorsement of that game, in fact is a huge waste of time and money keep playing MPQ) you know there's a ton of other Spider-Men and Spider-Women to choose from. You don't have to create a 4* version if you, say, make Scarlet Spider, or Miles Morales, or Jessica Drew, Anya Corazon, Spider-Gwen, Spider-Ben, Spider-Man 2099, the list is almost endless.

TL:DR introduce a new 3* non-Peter Parker Spidey that deals damage.
  • DaveR4470 wrote:

I suspect we'll see them whenever the comic gets relaunched; when that is probably depends on how the movie does. If the movie's a disaster, the comic will probably come back next year; if the movie does well enough for a sequel, it may be a while.

And they're not going to make a new 2* that isn't also a 3* anytime soon. If/when they make a Thing character, he'll probably be more defensive-oriented than the Hulk and not do team damage like the Hulk does. He'll almost certainly be a 3*, and, if he isn't, a 4* is more likely than a 2* (unless they do him as a 2*/3* like Captain Marvel, Human Torch, and Cyclops).
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    DaveR4470 wrote:

I suspect we'll see them whenever the comic gets relaunched; when that is probably depends on how the movie does. If the movie's a disaster, the comic will probably come back next year; if the movie does well enough for a sequel, it may be a while.

And they're not going to make a new 2* that isn't also a 3* anytime soon. If/when they make a Thing character, he'll probably be more defensive-oriented than the Hulk and not do team damage like the Hulk does. He'll almost certainly be a 3*, and, if he isn't, a 4* is more likely than a 2* (unless they do him as a 2*/3* like Captain Marvel, Human Torch, and Cyclops).

Have to agree on Thing not doing team damage, he still has him mind, while green hulk is pure rage.
  • bcas76 wrote:

Damage.

I disagree that Spidey is irrelevant post-true healing. I won't rehash; there's obviously a huge difference between stun-locking/leaving a match with full health and spamming protect tiles, but those protect tiles got me through Ultron twice with a little help from GSBW (or BWGS, I'm agnostic on the abbrev). He has value still, but he's really niche when he used to dominate. Daredevil, Kamala, and Luke Cage make him mostly irrelevant.

Why? Because those characters deal damage. True, none of them heal, stun, and create protect tiles, but he takes a roster spot and ap away from characters who can end matches instead of merely prolonging them. Are you going to use those yellow ap on web bandages or righteous uppercut? Or blue on magnetized projectiles?

Plus, it's not true to the character. The proportional strength of a spider...means nothing in reality, but it's intended to mean he's stronger than average humans. Spider-Man doesn't just jump around and shoot webbing at opponents until they get tired or bored and quit, he fights them. Then he webs them up for the police.

Fixing him: at this point, changing his abilities yet again might provoke the least response ever for MPQ, maybe a collective shrug at best. You have to introduce a variant, and if you read the comics or play Spider-Man Unlimited (this is not an endorsement of that game, in fact is a huge waste of time and money keep playing MPQ) you know there's a ton of other Spider-Men and Spider-Women to choose from. You don't have to create a 4* version if you, say, make Scarlet Spider, or Miles Morales, or Jessica Drew, Anya Corazon, Spider-Gwen, Spider-Ben, Spider-Man 2099, the list is almost endless.

Spidey is irrelevant. with OBW weekly buffs and Kamala.....he might as well be Bagman.

As I've said many times, he needs a green damage/tile removal ability to replace his yellow. It can do lots of damage to be similar to Hood or do no dmg to be similar to Loki.
    Malcrof wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    DaveR4470 wrote:

Have to agree on Thing not doing team damage, he still has him mind, while green hulk is pure rage.
    Colussus has a mind and Thing shares an ability with him icon_e_geek.gif
  • raisinbman wrote:
    Colussus has a mind and Thing shares an ability with him icon_e_geek.gif

I think it's 50/50 Colossus was designed as Thing - the red and yellow abilities, at least - and the black replaced what would have been a different third power if he had been released as the Thing.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    I didn't see a 4* Uncle Ben coming. I really didn't.
  • aesthetocyst
    bcas76 wrote:

Damage.

That's exactly the answered I expected! Players are never crazy about characters with no offense, unless....they have some other advantage. Pre-nerf, Spidey had two massive ones, heal and a stun both off the chain. Preventing/repairing all damage is even better than massive attacks from a player's perspective. It's immortality in a game in which that wasn't supposed to bee possible.
    bcas76 wrote:
    I disagree that Spidey is irrelevant post-true healing.

Glad you agree, he's still useful for all the same reasons, just not to the same degree. I use him often, when endurance is preferable to quick killing.
    bcas76 wrote:
    Daredevil, Kamala, and Luke Cage make him mostly irrelevant.

Sort of, but neither of them offer heal, stun, and protect in one slot. You just implied it takes a whole team to replace Spidey! Spidey + a tank + a stealer for the win.

bcas76 wrote:
    Plus, it's not true to the character.

Unfortunately, 3* Spidey is entirely TOO true to the character he is labeled as ("Classic Spiderman"). He webs up opponents and wears them down, insults them and photographs them. He has to special attacks. Not the most fun in the MPQ architecture, not on offense. Useful, but not fun.
    bcas76 wrote:
    The proportional strength of a spider...means nothing in reality, but it's intended to mean he's stronger than average humans. Spider-Man doesn't just jump around and shoot webbing at opponents until they get tired or bored and quit, he fights them. Then he webs them up for the police.

The scads of spider-variants reflects on just how bland a character classic Spidey is. Absolutely gives us new Spidermen and -women.

BUT, there is a really easy fix for the current Spidey. A way to reflect that strength of a spider, keeps his current abilities, without making him OP.

Way back when 3*s were new and rare, Classic Spidey was noted for having high tile damage. It isn't high anymore because his #s have turned out to be standard for 3*s.

So, increase his tile damage numbers. Not sure how much, and only his three colors of course. 25%? 50%?
This discussion has been closed.