Prodigal Sun: Dec. 15 - Dec. 22

Options

Comments

• There's no chance for me to break the top 50 at this point. I'll keep trying for progressions, but it looks like the next PVE I'm hosed. Hopefully the cover won't be something I need, because unless I get lucky with an Event token, I probably won't be seeing the Essentials.
  • Seasick Pirate
    Seasick Pirate Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    That stinks Nellobee. Hopefully you've got some good 2-stars to back you up.

Yeah, I'm not having a good day with the boards I think. On paper, these nodes don't look particularly difficult for me. But I finished my second clear of ThunderMnt. with al my best guys downed and no health packs remaining. Super frustrating considering I still have the Loki PvP to play still.
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Nellobee wrote:
    Enemies aren't ridiculously tough for me, but they're destroying me nonetheless.
    On Thunderbolt Mnt., the Hulk/B.Panther/Spy node is wrecking me when I don!'to think it should. Just wasted 3 health packs, and a bunch of boosts loosing this one twice in a row. I'll probably stay away from now on, but what's a good plan of attack for this one?

My Hulk and BPanther are my only two maxed ***'s, and no one else is close.
    I think I'm not getting my Sentry cover. icon_e_sad.gif

If it's any use, I have a near-maxed LThor, 114 Blade, 102 LDaken... etc... and I've still been fighting at least half the nodes using 2* Hawkeye/Magneto/Storm. I think they're really overlooked considering the damage they (can) do, particularly with certain covers maxed. Have had Hawkeye do up to 7k damage from speed shot, Magneto obviously rocks cascades, Storm does stun+dmg... if you've got them at decent levels, I'd suggest trying them out.

Same goes to anyone else, really... so many posts here are about how 3*s aren't available, or enemies are too high, but maybe you're just using poorly planned teams. In Hell's kitchen, I crushed level 210+'s with the H/M/S team, all at 94, sooo... y'know. Level isn't necessarily the deciding factor in all matches.
  • Lystrata wrote:
    Nellobee wrote:
    Enemies aren't ridiculously tough for me, but they're destroying me nonetheless.
    On Thunderbolt Mnt., the Hulk/B.Panther/Spy node is wrecking me when I don!'to think it should. Just wasted 3 health packs, and a bunch of boosts loosing this one twice in a row. I'll probably stay away from now on, but what's a good plan of attack for this one?

If it's any use, I have a near-maxed LThor, 114 Blade, 102 LDaken... etc... and I've still been fighting at least half the nodes using 2* Hawkeye/Magneto/Storm. I think they're really overlooked considering the damage they (can) do, particularly with certain covers maxed. Have had Hawkeye do up to 7k damage from speed shot, Magneto obviously rocks cascades, Storm does stun+dmg... if you've got them at decent levels, I'd suggest trying them out.

Same goes to anyone else, really... so many posts here are about how 3*s aren't available, or enemies are too high, but maybe you're just using poorly planned teams. In @#!*% 's kitchen, I crushed level 210+'s with the H/M/S team, all at 94, sooo... y'know. Level isn't necessarily the deciding factor in all matches.

I am intrigued by your comment "I crushed level 210+'s with the H/M/S team, all at 94." Did you use boosts for those matches? I have been focused on the 2* -> 3* transition for months that I have overlooked Hawkeye (He used to be terrible and I didn't want to use a roster slot for him nor dump all the iso required to max him out) but your post is making me reconsider...
  • Lystrata
    Options
    joecoolmd wrote:
    I am intrigued by your comment "I crushed level 210+'s with the H/M/S team, all at 94." Did you use boosts for those matches? I have been focused on the 2* -> 3* transition for months that I have overlooked Hawkeye (He used to be terrible and I didn't want to use a roster slot for him nor dump all the iso required to max him out) but your post is making me reconsider...

Heh, at 200+, yeah, I used a +3 purple/blue boost. Also used crit match boosts when I remembered because... what the hell else are they good for? icon_e_confused.gif

But until enemies are about 180ish (depending on who/what combination), boosts weren't really necessary. The beauty of that team is everything stems from Magneto having 9 purple. That's ... all you need. Then match up a bunch of blue, causing cascades which are an obvious benefit. Hawkeye's lvl 5 speed shot creates 4 tiles that do 947 damage (often more, as cascades tend to create more 5 matches - that was how I got to 7k, iirc). Aaand obviously with all that blue, Storm stuns/damages.

Then if you have Hawkeye's blast arrow maxed, it's another 1335 dmg to all enemies for 9 red. So for the cost of 9 purple and 9 red, you get... erm.. damage. Lots of damage.

Obviously it's a bit prone to the luck of purple tiles for speed shot, but I've never had it go off without turning purple tiles into countdowns. You just really need to have speed shot maxed, or it takes wayyy too long for them to count down.

I've found it's most useful against high level goons, because you can easily arrange the board for purple (or more easily, than if there's a character involved). But against lower level teams (150ish) of characters, it's also very effective.

TL;DR: Max up Hawkeye. He's awesome with Mags/Storm. (Not so great on defence, though, sooo... I use them mainly in PvE, rather than PvP.)
  • Lystrata wrote:
    joecoolmd wrote:
    I've found it's most useful against high level goons, because you can easily arrange the board for purple (or more easily, than if there's a character involved). But against lower level teams (150ish) of characters, it's also very effective.
    This. They rock mostly vs goon fights, I can win even 300 lvl nodes (not always, but it's possible), you can replace Hawkeye with Patch. In this event, if Spy deal enough damage, you'll get 6k AOE attack from Storm's pasive.
  • Lystrata wrote:
    joecoolmd wrote:

Heh, at 200+, yeah, I used a +3 purple/blue boost. Also used crit match boosts when I remembered because... what the @#!*% else are they good for? icon_e_confused.gif

But until enemies are about 180ish (depending on who/what combination), boosts weren't really necessary. The beauty of that team is everything stems from Magneto having 9 purple. That's ... all you need. Then match up a bunch of blue, causing cascades which are an obvious benefit. Hawkeye's lvl 5 speed shot creates 4 tiles that do 947 damage (often more, as cascades tend to create more 5 matches - that was how I got to 7k, iirc). Aaand obviously with all that blue, Storm stuns/damages.

Then if you have Hawkeye's blast arrow maxed, it's another 1335 dmg to all enemies for 9 red. So for the cost of 9 purple and 9 red, you get... erm.. damage. Lots of damage.

Obviously it's a bit prone to the luck of purple tiles for speed shot, but I've never had it go off without turning purple tiles into countdowns. You just really need to have speed shot maxed, or it takes wayyy too long for them to count down.

TL;DR: Max up Hawkeye. He's awesome with Mags/Storm. (Not so great on defence, though, sooo... I use them mainly in PvE, rather than PvP.)

That is truly amazing! Thanks for the awesome tip! This is a great PvE strategy. I didn't know they were so effective vs such high level opponents. I tend to shy away from those matches but once I get Hawkeye (I've lost count of the number of his covers I've gotten rid of) and max him out, I'll go after those high level matches. Also, great tip on the use of those critical bonuses because they are pretty useless otherwise.
  • Nellobee wrote:

U can beat every node with 2star teams, even if your 3stars make scaling through the roof. I got through every node with storm/mnMags + either Loki, lvl140 hood, or 141 captain america
  • Mattfal wrote:
    Nellobee wrote:

U can beat every node with 2star teams, even if your 3stars make scaling through the roof. I got through every node with storm/mnMags + either Loki, lvl140 hood, or 141 captain america

I haven't even tried getting through this because my heroes aren't strong enough. Now you have given me a glimmer of hope by saying "U can beat every node with 2star teams." I have Storm and Mags but I don't have a lvl 140 Steve Rogers or lvl 140 Hood. Before I get too excited, I have a few questions for you:

1) What level is your Loki? Unfortunately, I have 3 black covers only (which is pretty useless), no purple, no green.
    2) Does your Steve Rogers have 5 red and 5 blue? I have 3 red and 5 blue. I could level him to 153.
    3) How crucial is Hood for getting through all the nodes? Unfortunately, I have 0 blue covers for him and I know blue is what makes him dangerous.
    4) Did you use boosts?
    5) What level were your opponents? In one node I have IM 145, Thor 146, and Hulk 145. Another node has BP 160, Cap 160, and Sniper 160. They seem impossible.

Thanks for your help.
  • joecoolmd wrote:
    Use Ares, he tanks 3 colors and is simply great.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mattfal wrote:
    Nellobee wrote:

Yeah...let me know how well that works when match 3s are doing 600 damage a turn
  • When people talk about 2* can beat 'high level' just fine is 'high level' 180 or something while your 2*s are boosted to 134? But even then if this was true then you shouldn't have much problem doing PvP because nobody has a character higher than level 166 in general and players sure don't have access to unfair combination of characters like green pump + Juggernaut, or a level 166 Juggernaut for that matter. Sure you won't be able to defend worth anything but there's no shortage of 3* guys worth 40 points if you can actually beat 166s reliably it'd at least mean no 3* should ever be able to sneak ahead since 2*s seems to way outnumber 3*. Sure you can beat anything if you're careful/lucky/boost enough but I just don't see characters like Storm lasting long against guys that can do even 400 damage on match 3, and at a certain point even if you could start the match with 3 consecutive Wind Storms that's not even going to take half of the enemy's HP off and then what do you do?

While people probably exaggerate the difficulty of excessive scaling, there's a rather large difference between level 200, 300, 350, and 395. A lot of strategies simply no longer work when your enemies can shrug off your normally one hit kill moves and kill you by just matching tiles. I always find it funny people mention certain moves do too much damage. To me it'd be easier to make a list of moves you can survive against level 395 enemies, and it'd be a very short list.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    395 is okay in limited doses, like the gauntlet. But when you have to do 8 nodes at it, every 3 hours. For the last 12 hours of a sub? Yeah, Kitty that
  • Moon Roach wrote:
    In Moon Roach's time slice / bracket, it's pretty quiet. Except that I'm #10 with 194k, #11 is keeping pace a couple of thousand behind, #9 is out of reach. Which means if I want to keep #10 I'm pretty much stuck with the 3-hour cycle of clears of the 7 easy / trivial nodes (5k or so), and maybe having a go at the 3 normal nodes (2.5k or so). Hard and Deadly are way too tricky when I can't use X-Force and Cap. I guess this is one place where roster diversity (i.e. having more than 3 decent characters) actually counts. Although only a 2*, Ares definitely punches above his weight here.
    )

This is true, especially when you have more than 10 nodes to do per pass whether in one or multiple subs in simultaneously. The most obvious example is you're not as dependent on heal packs per pass you make as you can just swap out moderately/heavily injured party members. The other as you mention is so you never find yourself in a situation where if you're facing a team which stops you from using your primary teams.

I've seen a lot of people top tens in either my subs or overall who either have one very high character (usually xforce) over the rest of their roster, or just one or two characters significantly higher than the rest of their roster (i.e. a lvl 200 xforce followed by a lvl 60 2 Star Ares). Immediately 4 nodes in Thunderboltz mountain has gone from being potentially doable (had that person had a much evenly more level roster) to very very difficult indeed baring some insane cascade luck because they would not be able to use their xforce and the entire sub will be scaled relative to their high lvl character (lvl 200 xforce) so their normal nodes are already in the 180 to 220 range but they're fighting it with a roster lvl below 60, never mind hard nodes when they appear. Not surprisingly that person disappeared off the top 10 very quickly.

Additionally with this event where you fight the avengers, having a lot of well leveled villains and dark avengers is useful as you won't be fighting them and thus won't have to worry about them being in the nodes. I've very rarely seen anyone with just a high lvl roster of villians, primarily because the game has many more heroes than than villains, although this is gradually balancing itself out.

It's not just character diversity you need in your roster too, you need level diversity as well.... To limit the impact of scaling, one needs to realise that scaling goes into overdrive if you ever clear nodes taking minimal to no damage. (e.g. pre nerf cmags/spiderman, or a high lvl 4* combo against lvl 15-40 teams). Here you don't want to be clearing out low lvl nodes with very high level characters.. as you will bumped up your personal scaling through the roof.. If you take a lot of damage in a node, scaling is slower... So using lvl appropriate roster members for node is also important... As a result it actually gives an additional reason to keep 1* star heroes, cause at lvl 50, 1* star heroes have a greater tile match damage than higher tiers, same for 2* stars at lvl 94 and so on...

I seen a lot of people complain about 2* rosters people doing better than 3* star people... The thing is takes longer to lvl cap several 3* star to be relative to someone with six or more lvl 94 2* characters.... From some investigations into people's rosters you see some of the problems I highlighted here, they either have very inbalanced rosters in some form, either with the range of characters or their levels of their characters...

Yeah the bottom line is D3 has the game set up, that you are better positioned to do well in PvE if you have much bigger balanced roster than someone who doesn't. Impact is much smaller in PvP due to the defense nature of the game is all about putting up the most annoying team for other people to fight to limit your points loss.
  • Lystrata
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    When people talk about 2* can beat 'high level' just fine is 'high level' 180 or something while your 2*s are boosted to 134? But even then if this was true then you shouldn't have much problem doing PvP

The Hawkeye/Mags/Storm team is the only 2* team I can think of that is consistently capable of dealing decent damage to significantly higher levelled teams (as previously mentioned, 200+), whilst at 94 themselves (boosted up is a bonus). I imagine vs. 395 teams though, yes, they're useless - though having never faced off level 395 enemies, that's merely speculation on my part.

And of course they're no good for PvP, that's kind of ridiculous to suggest. In the time it'd take to bring down a few teams, a dozen Sentry+Flavour of the Month OP Character teams would crush you with them set up as a defensive team.

But for PvE, and especially all-goon nodes, some 2*s are quite decent if you're still in the 2*-3* transition. And it's worth being aware of that so you can have them lose health on such nodes, while keeping heavy hitting 3*s for character-nodes. Or so I've found. *shrug*
  • Lystrata wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    When people talk about 2* can beat 'high level' just fine is 'high level' 180 or something while your 2*s are boosted to 134? But even then if this was true then you shouldn't have much problem doing PvP

The Hawkeye/Mags/Storm team is the only 2* team I can think of that is consistently capable of dealing decent damage to significantly higher levelled teams (as previously mentioned, 200+), whilst at 94 themselves (boosted up is a bonus). I imagine vs. 395 teams though, yes, they're useless - though having never faced off level 395 enemies, that's merely speculation on my part.

And of course they're no good for PvP, that's kind of ridiculous to suggest. In the time it'd take to bring down a few teams, a dozen Sentry+Flavour of the Month OP Character teams would crush you with them set up as a defensive team.

But for PvE, and especially all-goon nodes, some 2*s are quite decent if you're still in the 2*-3* transition. And it's worth being aware of that so you can have them lose health on such nodes, while keeping heavy hitting 3*s for character-nodes. Or so I've found. *shrug*

It wouldn't matter if your team can't defend because 2*s greatly outnumber 3*s presumably so 2* teams, as a whole, would make up this by their sheer quantity. If every 2* I smashed for 15 points is actually capable of defeating my team I'd never get out of 700 points unless I shield hop at 500 because they'd be taking 35 back each time! It doesn't matter how much they're losing while they're doing this because getting 35 back is still a pretty decent deal if the fight is reasonably winnable. Since I almost never have 2*s fight back I must assume that even when I leave a 40+ retaliation behind it's still not attractive enough to risk 2* fighting my team. Yes my team is probably stronger than the average 3*, but then that scenario would apply to any 3* team that doesn't have the very top characters as long as you smashed any 2* for meager points on your climb.

I can see using Storm to trigger the strong version of Raging Tempest to beat some nodes but that's obviously very health pack intensive.
  • squirrel1120
    Options
    Lystrata wrote:
    joecoolmd wrote:

Heh, at 200+, yeah, I used a +3 purple/blue boost. Also used crit match boosts when I remembered because... what the hell else are they good for? icon_e_confused.gif

My scaling is based on ~6 toons near 150 now, and this combo still works wonders on certain nodes. I like to fall back to this team when hulk is in nodes, as wind storming him in the face means no anger proc. Setting up the right target to take the speed shots the turn before they resolve is important. Usually it's enough to drop a target low enough that they go bye bye on the next wind storm anyway. I also try not to cast lightning storm until they resolve also.

Anyway, the real reason I responded to the post here... I tend to prefer magnetic flux over blast arrow. The 1 turn resolve on mag flux makes it mostly reliable, and while it does less damage overall, getting a big chunk out of a high hp target moves to eliminate one guy faster. Also, the 'up to 25 ap' it generates more than makes up for the damage lost on the up front end of not using blast arrow instead.

Once I've polarity shifted my way into a wind storm or two, any random cascades define if I'll be trying to go for a lightning storm or mag flux depending upon what ap I've gotten. Getting one off to gain all that ap allows the chain to propagate easier and seems the crux of trying to win high level matches with the trio. Theyve been my team for many of the final gauntlet nodes.

Just another pov on playing the team in pve for those reading.
  • Moon Roach wrote:
    In Moon Roach's time slice / bracket, it's pretty quiet. Except that I'm #10 with 194k, #11 is keeping pace a couple of thousand behind, #9 is out of reach. Which means if I want to keep #10 I'm pretty much stuck with the 3-hour cycle of clears of the 7 easy / trivial nodes (5k or so), and maybe having a go at the 3 normal nodes (2.5k or so). Hard and Deadly are way too tricky when I can't use X-Force and Cap. I guess this is one place where roster diversity (i.e. having more than 3 decent characters) actually counts. Although only a 2*, Ares definitely punches above his weight here.
    )

This is true, especially when you have more than 10 nodes to do per pass whether in one or multiple subs in simultaneously. The most obvious example is you're not as dependent on heal packs per pass you make as you can just swap out moderately/heavily injured party members. The other as you mention is so you never find yourself in a situation where if you're facing a team which stops you from using your primary teams.

I've seen a lot of people top tens in either my subs or overall who either have one very high character (usually xforce) over the rest of their roster, or just one or two characters significantly higher than the rest of their roster (i.e. a lvl 200 xforce followed by a lvl 60 2 Star Ares). Immediately 4 nodes in Thunderboltz mountain has gone from being potentially doable (had that person had a much evenly more level roster) to very very difficult indeed baring some insane cascade luck because they would not be able to use their xforce and the entire sub will be scaled relative to their high lvl character (lvl 200 xforce) so their normal nodes are already in the 180 to 220 range but they're fighting it with a roster lvl below 60, never mind hard nodes when they appear. Not surprisingly that person disappeared off the top 10 very quickly.

Additionally with this event where you fight the avengers, having a lot of well leveled villains and dark avengers is useful as you won't be fighting them and thus won't have to worry about them being in the nodes. I've very rarely seen anyone with just a high lvl roster of villians, primarily because the game has many more heroes than than villains, although this is gradually balancing itself out.

It's not just character diversity you need in your roster too, you need level diversity as well.... To limit the impact of scaling, one needs to realise that scaling goes into overdrive if you ever clear nodes taking minimal to no damage. (e.g. pre nerf cmags/spiderman, or a high lvl 4* combo against lvl 15-40 teams). Here you don't want to be clearing out low lvl nodes with very high level characters.. as you will bumped up your personal scaling through the roof.. If you take a lot of damage in a node, scaling is slower... So using lvl appropriate roster members for node is also important... As a result it actually gives an additional reason to keep 1* star heroes, cause at lvl 50, 1* star heroes have a greater tile match damage than higher tiers, same for 2* stars at lvl 94 and so on...

I seen a lot of people complain about 2* rosters people doing better than 3* star people... The thing is takes longer to lvl cap several 3* star to be relative to someone with six or more lvl 94 2* characters.... From some investigations into people's rosters you see some of the problems I highlighted here, they either have very inbalanced rosters in some form, either with the range of characters or their levels of their characters...

Yeah the bottom line is D3 has the game set up, that you are better positioned to do well in PvE if you have much bigger balanced roster than someone who doesn't. Impact is much smaller in PvP due to the defense nature of the game is all about putting up the most annoying team for other people to fight to limit your points loss.

Roster diversity is not meaningful unless you're trying to do PvP and PvE at the same time using two different teams (mostly because otherwise health pack can't possibly work out). For PvE my team is pretty much picked in the order of availabilty of:

X Force
    Captain America
    The Hood
    Others

And unless the node requires you to fight Wolverine and Captain America this is usually as far as you need to dig into your roster. I bring out Blade/Falcon/Daken for the trivial nodes but it's not like X Force + any two guys can't beat it safely and even if you did bring The Hood or Captain America there, there's no real danger of being worn down by trivial nodes unless you're really sloppy, and if you are that's why you should have some kind of 'match damage only' team instead. In this event sometimes I threw in The Punisher for the 'match damage only team' when Falcon isn't available, Thor for X Force, or Magneto for Captain America due to roster lockout issues. That's still only 3 more characters and if I'm lazy I could've just used Thor instead on all 3 cases instead of trying to put the right colors and it would only be marginally harder. For that matter most generic red/green guy could've filled the spot of Thor when one of your usual guys isn't available.

The roster with nobody higher than level 100 or so takes advantage of scaling, not because the roster is balanced. It probably helps that +40 levels on a 2* is more useful than +30 levels on a 3* and that +90 levels on a 3* in a well developed roster usually just leads to massive health pack usage. For example I have Loki maxed and he gets +90 but I only use him in essential nodes, not because he sucks but he'd be tanking at least 4 colors otherwise and I can't keep up with that kind of damage compared to the usual method of letting X Force absorb most of the damage and then use Recovery. When your enemies are in the level 200+ range, not even Thor (4*) has a meaningful amount of HP compared to the attrition they put out. You need true healing for a sustained push. Now if all the nodes are Gauntlet type difficulty where they are so hard you can barely beat them then it's again advantageous to use the +90 level guy again because winning at all beats not winning, but usually scaling doesn't get quite this bad. Even at level 395, most Avenger lineup isn't exactly the same as Daken Daken Patch or whatever insanity they have in the Gauntlet.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ooh, exciting, 6 hours 10 minutes to go and after a clear Wolveroach is #8 on 130k, with #11 way back on 122k, so top 10 is almost a lock. I couldn't resist, it's the first day of my holiday break so why not play and see what happens. A clear is almost trivial, the Loki nodes are 87 and 90, Defend V is Deadly and 200 and not touched.

Moon Roach is having a harder time, at #10 with 211k, #11 is 30 points behind. #11 - #8 are separated by only 6k, so a single clear can take someone from #11 to #8. We've been leap-frogging all day. #12 is 14k further back and looks to have given up. It's a shame it's top 10 and not top 11. Loki nodes are 96 and 112, Defend V is 232, oh dear.

For me it's a 3 am finish, shall I stay up, why, yes, I think I shall.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Moon Roach wrote:
    Ooh, exciting, 6 hours 10 minutes to go and after a clear Wolveroach is #8 on 130k, with #11 way back on 122k, so top 10 is almost a lock. I couldn't resist, it's the first day of my holiday break so why not play and see what happens. A clear is almost trivial, the Loki nodes are 87 and 90, Defend V is Deadly and 200 and not touched.

Moon Roach is having a harder time, at #10 with 211k, #11 is 30 points behind. #11 - #8 are separated by only 6k, so a single clear can take someone from #11 to #8. We've been leap-frogging all day. #12 is 14k further back and looks to have given up. It's a shame it's top 10 and not top 11. Loki nodes are 96 and 112, Defend V is 232, oh dear.

For me it's a 3 am finish, shall I stay up, why, yes, I think I shall.

Hope you get your top 10!