Prodigal Sun: Dec. 15 - Dec. 22

Options

Comments

• Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    dearbluey wrote:
    Just confirming here, I'm on the last sub and a red Sentry cover is the reward.

My alt will be pleased! ...if they can clear to it. icon_e_confused.gificon_rolleyes.gif
  • DuckyV wrote:
    dearbluey wrote:

My alt will be pleased! ...if they can clear to it. icon_e_confused.gificon_rolleyes.gif

It's a little iffy for me - two of my 5 maxed 3* characters are unusable because they have Thor and Wolverine in the node. Still, could be worse. icon_e_smile.gif
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    dearbluey wrote:
    DuckyV wrote:
    dearbluey wrote:

It's a little iffy for me - two of my 5 maxed 3* characters are unusable because they have Thor and Wolverine in the node. Still, could be worse. icon_e_smile.gif
    I just whales'd it. After 2 days in Hell's Kitchen, it was the most satisfying thing I've ever done
  • ballingbees
    ballingbees Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Slice 1, normalised scaling. Sentry red is the final reward.
    Middle route is definitely the most difficult of the 3, bottom route is easiest. If you're clearing it Gauntlet style just to get Sentry, start by clearing the middle one first, because clearing nodes increases the scaling of all other nodes somewhat. Loki essentials not required to unlock the Sentry reward node.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Slice 1, normalised scaling. Sentry red is the final reward.
    Middle route is definitely the most difficult of the 3, bottom route is easiest. If you're clearing it Gauntlet style just to get Sentry, start by clearing the middle one first, because clearing nodes increases the scaling of all other nodes somewhat. Loki essentials not required to unlock the Sentry reward node.
    By normalized you mean no more non-scaling right, not that they've pulled back a bit on the completely ridiculous overscaling that is having us have 395s before even halfway through the sub
  • ballingbees
    ballingbees Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    By normalized you mean no more non-scaling right, not that they've pulled back a bit on the completely ridiculous overscaling that is having us have 395s before even halfway through the sub

It looked normal when first opened the sub.
    After 2 clears, of the 12 repeatable nodes I now have
    2x trivial
    2x easy
    3x normal (including both essentials)
    5x hard

The two non-repeatable nodes are at trivial and deadly (it was hard when I cleared it)

30hrs left to go, still plenty of time for this to experience the That Escalated Quickly moment.
  • Spoit
    Options
    Ugh fight4thedream, you win. I just can't keep up with your optimal grinding when there are like 2 nodes on the hard sub that aren't 395. You just need to beat this other darned 2* person
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    "Normalized" scaling meaning: yes, there is scaling and it's very hard, not super easy. Sadly.

And yes, this means the final node is stupid hard - it's like a gauntlet node toward the end. Mine was over 20 levels above my most boosted characters, which is higher than even Hell's Kitchen. I advise you do it early and don't grind until it's done. Also don't be afraid to burn boosts: I went in with an all+3 and 2x match damage just to make sure I got it. The only good thing is that the enemy team doesn't do anything with black or pink, so as long as you protect green/red/yellow (and to a lesser extent, blue) you can pull it out.

Also just wanted to say this event is almost actually ok, but the 2nd set of 2 subs just kills it for me. If it were only 5 1/2 days and fewer subs, I think it might even be fun, but 7 days is just disaster. I am sure the reasoning - besides "we can't actually give you covers because that makes the game too easy, right? even tho it's stupid over-the-top impossibly hard and you'll never catch up, we can't give you any sort of reasonable amount" - is that if you make it last a week anyone can play. But that's just **** - if it is, in fact, the reasoning - because it just makes you have to play MORE for LESS. Besides, only the final sub really matters for the extra 3* reward.

7 days is just way too many.
  • loroku
    Options
    Also: I'm really not sure how the ranks are going to shake out for this event. With all the people talking about missing points, it's possible my rank is completely off - and in fact much lower than it should be. I don't know how they are going to settle this, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a last minute adjustment that kicked a bunch of people out of their rank. Only because it seems like the kind of thing they would do.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    With how difficult this last area is I'm close to giving up completely.
    It's not fun, guys. It's a boring, grinding slog where I'm worn down to nothing by the end. This event started out fun but with the ridiculous scaling I can't compete. How three level 180s are "normal" I don't know, I have a few level 166 characters sure, but often they're the ones I'm fighting. So a fight with Wolverine and Captain America knocks out two of my best fighters.

And then suddenly I'm going along, breaking past a level 150 fight...and fight three level 35 minions?

I wish I hadn't started this event in the first place. I *dread* playing this game now. This is Heroic Venom level apathy setting in here.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    loroku wrote:
    "Normalized" scaling meaning: yes, there is scaling and it's very hard, not super easy. Sadly.

And yes, this means the final node is stupid hard - it's like a gauntlet node toward the end. Mine was over 20 levels above my most boosted characters, which is higher than even Hell's Kitchen. I advise you do it early and don't grind until it's done. Also don't be afraid to burn boosts: I went in with an all+3 and 2x match damage just to make sure I got it. The only good thing is that the enemy team doesn't do anything with black or pink, so as long as you protect green/red/yellow (and to a lesser extent, blue) you can pull it out.

Also just wanted to say this event is almost actually ok, but the 2nd set of 2 subs just kills it for me. If it were only 5 1/2 days and fewer subs, I think it might even be fun, but 7 days is just disaster. I am sure the reasoning - besides "we can't actually give you covers because that makes the game too easy, right? even tho it's stupid over-the-top impossibly hard and you'll never catch up, we can't give you any sort of reasonable amount" - is that if you make it last a week anyone can play. But that's just **** - if it is, in fact, the reasoning - because it just makes you have to play MORE for LESS. Besides, only the final sub really matters for the extra 3* reward.

7 days is just way too many.
    I just threw whales at it
  • thanos8587
    Options
    it almost looks like everyone is my group has stopped playing. i started over an hour after the last sub began, didnt grind at all the previous night before bed and did 1 play through of this final sub to get sentry. my position has gone from 58 to 59, which is perfect since i want dd. hope i dont have to play anymore through tomorrow afternoon to get top 150.

too bad my token pulls have stunk icon_rolleyes.gif

gl to everyone who wants elektra!!
  • over_clocked
    Options
    The normalized scaling kicked in at the perfect time for me since I couldn't clear optimals of Hell's Kitchen and Washington subs thanks to traveling, but the scaling prevented most people from earning best points in Hell's Kitchen. Now only minor clearing left to do, most rosters get the short end of the stick when locked out of using Captain America, Thor, Hulk and Wolverine.
    Although boosted Ares is still better than a good third of 3*s.
  • Spoit
    Options
    locked wrote:
    The normalized scaling kicked in at the perfect time for me since I couldn't clear optimals of Hell's Kitchen and Washington subs thanks to traveling, but the scaling prevented most people from earning best points in Hell's Kitchen. Now only minor clearing left to do, most rosters get the short end of the stick when locked out of using Captain America, Thor, Hulk and Wolverine.
    Although boosted Ares is still better than a good third of 3*s.
    Sure he is. But you can't use 3/4 of the 3*s effectively against 395s.
  • loroku
    Options
    loroku wrote:
    This even is a marathon, not a sprint. It will be won by those who are willing to sleep the least and click the most. A few extra seconds at the start doesn't mean anything when people are getting fatigued 5 days in.
    Quoting myself because I was right. icon_e_smile.gif I managed to stay in the top 50 this whole event, and my hand literally hurts from playing this game, but I have finally slipped out of the top 50 just today and I can't find the willpower to care. It's just not worth another ~24 hours of grinding, especially since I got the final progression reward 2 days ago. I stuck around to get Sentry again but that's all I can do. Enjoy the extra roster slot! icon_e_smile.gif
  • Seasick Pirate
    Seasick Pirate Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Enemies aren't ridiculously tough for me, but they're destroying me nonetheless.
    On Thunderbolt Mnt., the Hulk/B.Panther/Spy node is wrecking me when I don!'to think it should. Just wasted 3 health packs, and a bunch of boosts loosing this one twice in a row. I'll probably stay away from now on, but what's a good plan of attack for this one?
  • Enemies aren't ridiculously tough for me, but they're destroying me nonetheless.
    On Thunderbolt Mnt., the Hulk/B.Panther/Spy node is wrecking me when I don!'to think it should. Just wasted 3 health packs, and a bunch of boosts loosing this one twice in a row. I'll probably stay away from now on, but what's a good plan of attack for this one?

None of the enemies in Thunderbolt Mountains are particularly tricky. They don't even have unfair AP acceleration unlike the usual combinations. This is a pretty by-the-book Captain America fight. Defend against Silent Strike with Captain's abilities and kill BP and stun Hulk for the near guaranteed instant win, and put whoever two guys you think will either complement Captain best or kill BP faster. Silent Strike can do massively amounts of damage if you're unlucky with the tile placement so you might want to think about having extra guys who can do board shakeup.
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Enemies aren't ridiculously tough for me, but they're destroying me nonetheless.

My Hulk and BPanther are my only two maxed ***'s, and no one else is close.
    I think I'm not getting my Sentry cover. icon_e_sad.gif
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In Moon Roach's time slice / bracket, it's pretty quiet. Except that I'm #10 with 194k, #11 is keeping pace a couple of thousand behind, #9 is out of reach. Which means if I want to keep #10 I'm pretty much stuck with the 3-hour cycle of clears of the 7 easy / trivial nodes (5k or so), and maybe having a go at the 3 normal nodes (2.5k or so). Hard and Deadly are way too tricky when I can't use X-Force and Cap. I guess this is one place where roster diversity (i.e. having more than 3 decent characters) actually counts. Although only a 2*, Ares definitely punches above his weight here.

Wolveroach's time slice / bracket is also quiet. There I'm #12 with 110k. #1 is only 162k, and I (Moon Roach) wish I could swap brackets. #10 is only 2k ahead, #13 4k back. I'm tempted to call it a day on that account, as I think it's almost impossible in 16 hours to be overtaken by 40 others, especially when the only sub left is Thunderbolts Mountain, and I don't want to work hard for another Elektra cover when for that account it will be useless for months. But I'll probably do a few clears during the day, just to be sure. (We had one alliance member grind like crazy for Mystique, and he was top 10 almost all the way through, but he slept the last 6 hours and dropped so far he didn't get a single Mystique cover. And then he went off in a sulk and I ended up kicking him after a month's absence.)