Planned Updates To Shields - New Start Date

Options

Comments

• Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dauthi wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:

It doesn't take a genius to skip opponents until you have a high point target for all 3 nodes, unshield, attack, and reshield.

The privileged information is that huge conglomerate alliances like x-men were using it to purposefully and intentionally bounce off of each other for easy queuing/point gaining. How exploitative!

OH!!! now I see! You're just mad that you aren't included. Well, now we see what this is REALLY about for you Dauthi. Thank you for clarifying.

As far as "coordinating" hops for points, as someone has already mentioned, that can be done using in-game chat. It is not "privileged information". It just makes a little bit of paying attention. You have just stated that your Alliance is not capable of said coordinated actions. As you have listed yourself as the leader of your Alliance, upon whom does this fault lie?

And lay off of Reckless, her skill level and thought processes concerning this silly little game far exceed what you have shown in this thread. She doesn't need me to defend her, I just wanted to try to stop you from getting into a p***ing contest that you have no chance of winning. Think of it more like I'm defending you, not her.

Oh right, I didn't intentionally find ways to exploit a game. The fault is on me. I am guessing you are apart of a conglomerate alliance then?

A contest? icon_lol.gif Is this what it is to you? And here I was trying to act like an adult and learn/debate! I'll try harder next time, ok? icon_e_wink.gif

I knew all that stuff back when I was in an alliance that didn't even get 100 reliably
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Shield hopping, in its current state, is definitely broken. But as so many have stated, this isn't the answer.

In fact, it doesn't need to be fixed at all - at least not before:
    • Skipping a player completely removes them from the queue. There are 1000's of players who play the game. Stop showing me the same 4 or 5, and stop charging me a skip tax to see the same player I just skipped.
    • Stop putting multiple versions of ourselves in other's queues. There is no reason I should be hit by 4 or 5 people at the same time every time I'm in a match.
    • Once you defeat someone, give them a cooling off period - something like you cannot see them again in your queue for an hour. There are enough opponents out there if you actually give everyone access to them instead of showing us such a tiny few.
    • Make shielded players visible to attacks. Just because they are shielded doesn't mean they aren't there. This only works with the cooling down period though, as this could easily be exploited as it has in the past.

I'm sure there are other things that could be "fixed" first as well - but this is all I could think of off the top of my head at 1am after a long day.....
  • Phantron wrote:
    NOTHING THAT EVER MADE SENSE. EVER.
  • rbdragon wrote:
    Shield hopping, in its current state, is definitely broken. But as so many have stated, this isn't the answer.

• Skipping a player completely removes them from the queue. There are 1000's of players who play the game. Stop showing me the same 4 or 5, and stop charging me a skip tax to see the same player I just skipped.
    • Stop putting multiple versions of ourselves in other's queues. There is no reason I should be hit by 4 or 5 people at the same time every time I'm in a match.
    • Once you defeat someone, give them a cooling off period - something like you cannot see them again in your queue for an hour. There are enough opponents out there if you actually give everyone access to them instead of showing us such a tiny few.
    • Make shielded players visible to attacks. Just because they are shielded doesn't mean they aren't there. This only works with the cooling down period though, as this could easily be exploited as it has in the past.

I'm sure there are other things that could be "fixed" first as well - but this is all I could think of off the top of my head at 1am after a long day.....

FINALLY SOMEBODY MAKING SOME SENSE! And not just whining but offering viable alternatives. These are solid ideas. Kudos!
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:

It doesn't take a genius to skip opponents until you have a high point target for all 3 nodes, unshield, attack, and reshield.

The privileged information is that huge conglomerate alliances like x-men were using it to purposefully and intentionally bounce off of each other for easy queuing/point gaining. How exploitative!

OH!!! now I see! You're just mad that you aren't included. Well, now we see what this is REALLY about for you Dauthi. Thank you for clarifying.

As far as "coordinating" hops for points, as someone has already mentioned, that can be done using in-game chat. It is not "privileged information". It just makes a little bit of paying attention. You have just stated that your Alliance is not capable of said coordinated actions. As you have listed yourself as the leader of your Alliance, upon whom does this fault lie?

And lay off of Reckless, her skill level and thought processes concerning this silly little game far exceed what you have shown in this thread. She doesn't need me to defend her, I just wanted to try to stop you from getting into a p***ing contest that you have no chance of winning. Think of it more like I'm defending you, not her.

Oh right, I didn't intentionally find ways to exploit a game. The fault is on me. I am guessing you are apart of a conglomerate alliance then?

A contest? icon_lol.gif Is this what it is to you? And here I was trying to act like an adult and learn/debate! I'll try harder next time, ok? icon_e_wink.gif

I knew all that stuff back when I was in an alliance that didn't even get 100 reliably

Because your alliance experimented with it or because you visited the forums?

I sometimes wonder if everyone here realizes how small of a % they are when it comes to the population of MPQ. Saying you are a drop in the bucket is an exaggeration. No harm intended, it is a fact when looking at the numbers.

I appreciate seeing the problem for what it is though: an exploit gone out of hand, and possibly exacerbated by this change.
  • Accident-eLe
    Options
    WHY DO YOU FEEL LIKE THIS IS GOOD FOR TRANSITIONING PLAYERS? (for those of you who won't read my whole post)[/quote]
    Well theoretically if the score ceiling is reduced, that reduces the distance that transitioners will need to push past the 600 point wall?[/quote]

Thank you Spoit this is a very reasonable argument. In theory if the top scores are closer to 900-1100 (random number guess) then it would be much easier to push there with the new pseudo 8 hour shielding (though as costly or more) then trying to push to 1300+. Regardless of whether or not this comes to pass I am just appreciative to have a conversation that isn't "burn d3 down" or "you guys just hate change and don't get it". Saying it will be great with no support whatsoever is not constructive. I myself can be swayed towards seeing the opposing arguments given enough incentive. Example: Do I think time based PVP sharding has upset some of the balance in the game with death brackets and barren wastelands? Yes, but I also believe that struggling through the process in order to allow people outside of the US (where I reside) have reasonable end times is acceptable.

Whether or not forming a constructive dialogue is of any real benefit is all on the developers and by extension those who monitor the forums on there behalf. If we can't put forward an at least semi unified opinion on how to better the game overall then how can we expect them to make the appropriate decisions. I understand this messages has the stipulation that we must believe that D3 is not only profit mongering, but I ask you all this, If they are profit mongering then nothing we do will have any constructive influence anyway. Therefore the only two logical outcomes I see are us either putting forward valuable proposals to D3 or not posting anything at all as it will have no effect.

Some of you simply want to voice your opinions about certain things and don't wish to open into actual debate on bettering the game. I understand that desire. I myself have recently posted many sarcastic threads in general chat simply in the hope that they make people laugh. This is your right and you should post, just don't be surprised if people don't take you seriously, I know I'm not.
  • ballingbees
    ballingbees Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm led to think this has something to do with OpPayHarder in some way. Now I didn't quite get that operation, and still don't, and may sound offensive, but it's not intended to be. A group of highly dedicated players decided to pool their resources and pay their way to obscene scores, thereby proving a point that the system can be beaten, albeit with cash, and time slice coordination. If I was D3, I'd be delighted. "Could you do that again please?" So I'm a creep, but I'm pleasantly surprised D3 apparantly is not. Making these changes to curb shieldhop spamming does not seem to financially benefit D3 any more than to leave shielding as it is. So I'm led to believe this is a genuine initiation to make the game better for the general community. It may or may not work out as hoped, but I am happy enough in the knowledge that these people have the intention and are constantly trying to improve the game. There are, of course, many things to be fixed, some probably more urgent than this, but one thing at a time.

Suggestion, before incorporating this change, there should be a few days long announcement in game. Those who are outside of forums may be caught out cold.
  • Dauthi wrote:
    For someone who claims to shield-hop, you obviously don't understand the mechanics of it. When you are shielded, people who have queued you before you shielded (or have you in their cache from when you were unshielded) can still hit you. You don't lose points, but they gain points. See the image I posted in my prior post. I lost no points from all those players who scored 40+ points by beating my team. They, however, got those points.

It doesn't take a genius to skip opponents until you have a high point target for all 3 nodes, unshield, attack, and reshield. This was obvious even to non-forum goers that caught on i'm sure.

The privileged information is that huge conglomerate alliances like x-men were using it to purposefully and intentionally bounce off of each other for easy queuing/point gaining. How exploitative. I understood how queuing worked perfectly well, not the devious ways others abused it.

Thank you Northern Polarity.
    Why do you think coordinating your fights with your alliance members is an exploit? I thought that's what alliances were for - teamwork.

The "conglomerates" you speak of really only consists of a few alliances. And guess what, these guys fund the game for the F2Pers. They are the ones that allow you to sit at 900 unshielded. They give everyone else in the entire game worthwhile targets to hit in PvP. They provide the points which prevents transitioners from hitting a 166 wall before even reaching 400. Why are you so bitter about them utilizing teamwork, something that is inherent and expected of any team, club, clan, guild, or alliance?
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    rbdragon wrote:

The first 2 are really just 2 sides of the same coin, and yeah something that has always been a problem.

That last one leads to rampant point inflation, even if it is completely random people
  • Spoit wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:

I am in a single group Alliance. I joined a group of like-minded individuals who have the desire to exceed expectations. I am not in a conglomeration of alliances. Check your leader board, we are at the top. We don't even have a full alliance yet. We just enjoy being good at what we do.

It is neither cheating nor unethical to use gameplay to my advantage. The same rules apply to everyone.

I do not use cheat codes. I do not change the programming of the game. I do not have a special device that is available only to myself. I do not use illegal or ill-gotten credits to gain up used in gameplay.

Exploit the game? OOHH, you mean you didn't want to use certain aspects of the established rules and policies that applied to everyone in the game? You're just mad that we try harder to succeed than you do.

Wow. Hate much?
    No wonder Francky thought you were related to phantron....
  • Whatever the outcome of this, there will be no balancing of players. The top will remain the top. The meta might shift, but whatever the new winning strategy involving hero points becomes, that's what the top players will use. I imagine it's going to be health packs plus a 3hr 8hr 24hr sheild rotation.

If the idea is "more targets means more players can reach higher scores" then I don't see this idea getting off the ground. Anyone who's ever gotten to 900 points knows once you are worth 40 points to someone, you will be hit, and there's no coming back, since the retaliation node will be worth 12 points or something.
  • theshadeofopal
    theshadeofopal Posts: 93 Match Maker
    Options
    Ultimately, it doesn't matter what we say. I really don't know why they even bothered to ask in the first place.

The developers are going to do what they want to do and we can play their game or we can not play their game.

Either way, they consistently remind us that
    it is THEIR game,
    THEY make the rules, and
    if we don't like it - we can go away.

None of our griping will make a difference. Watch time prove me correct.

I think the 1000+ replies on true healing discussion post have already proved this. But hey, not like every character with a fake healing ability is a garbage character. There's obw and uh...
  • Dauthi
    edited December 2014
    Options
    gobstopper wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:
    For someone who claims to shield-hop, you obviously don't understand the mechanics of it. When you are shielded, people who have queued you before you shielded (or have you in their cache from when you were unshielded) can still hit you. You don't lose points, but they gain points. See the image I posted in my prior post. I lost no points from all those players who scored 40+ points by beating my team. They, however, got those points.

It doesn't take a genius to skip opponents until you have a high point target for all 3 nodes, unshield, attack, and reshield. This was obvious even to non-forum goers that caught on i'm sure.

The privileged information is that huge conglomerate alliances like x-men were using it to purposefully and intentionally bounce off of each other for easy queuing/point gaining. How exploitative. I understood how queuing worked perfectly well, not the devious ways others abused it.

Thank you Northern Polarity.
    Why do you think coordinating your fights with your alliance members is an exploit? I thought that's what alliances were for - teamwork.

Why are you so bitter about them utilizing teamwork, something that is inherent and expected of any team, club, clan, guild, or alliance?

Before I go to bed this should be fun to respond to. According to Wikipedia "In video games, an exploit (colloquially sploit) is the use of a bug or glitches, game system, rates, hit boxes, or speed, etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers." Pay extra attention to the bolded part. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploit_%28video_gaming%29

Did the developers create alliances so you coordinate hitting eachother. Doesn't exactly sound like any definition of an alliance I have ever heard. Did they create shields so you could coordinate hitting each other while shielded? You can spin it any way you want, but it is what it is. Sorry.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2014
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Greetings,

Coming up soon after the introduction of R67 we are planning to make some changes to Shields.

Shields may now have cooldowns depending on the Event. The cooldown is displayed below the amount of time the Shield lasts. Specifically, after you purchase a Shield, there's a cooldown period (in our testing, it's currently set to 8 hours) before you can buy another Shield of the same duration in the same Event.

• This change helps level the playing field. Players that don't have the Hero Points to spend on Shields, either through being in a top 100 Alliance or purchasing currency, will not need to worry about someone simply outspending them by using hundreds of Hero Points to Shield hop for a win.

Yeah about that purchasing currency thing. This is also a form of limited electronic currency now. Currency can be used to buy 6 things. Covers, roster slots, comic packs, health packs, boosts, and shields. Many of us who bought Stark salaries, did this with the intention of shield hopping. You have change the product and lowered our perceived value of this currency? If this change is implemented, will you be refunding the money now and buy back this devalued currency?
  • Shield's Chill out and Shards are bad jokes. IMO, won't be possible to hit 1.3k, because Big Q >+30 won't be available and shard limits. It's gonna be mess like LR are, where you can't cross 600. Every high score, will get snipe. To put Shields amount limits is not bad idea.
  • Dauthi wrote:
    Before I go to bed this should be fun to respond to. According to Wikipedia "In video games, an exploit (colloquially sploit) is the use of a bug or glitches, game system, rates, hit boxes, or speed, etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers." Pay extra attention to the bolded part. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploit_%28video_gaming%29
    I know what an exploit is. I'm asking why you are so against something that is so beneficial to the playerbase.

Also, the notion that alliance members cannot hit one another is shaky at best. This game doesn't have true PvP. If it did, you might have a point. But as it stands, coordinating hops harms ZERO players. Through teamwork, which, I repeat, is a natural byproduct of a functioning alliance, each participating alliance member is mutually benefiting.
    Did the developers create alliances so you coordinate hitting eachother. Doesn't exactly sound like any definition of an alliance I have ever heard. Did they create shields so you could coordinate hitting each other while shielded? You can spin it any way you want, but it is what it is. Sorry.
    There is no need to make assumptions about why the devs created alliances or shields. 1) Devs need money. 2) Alliances and shields provide alternative avenues to get money. It's as simple as that. What this change boils down to - and I believe Polarity said this on page 1 - is that the devs have decided to make it more difficult to obtain 3* and 4* covers at a discount through shielding.
  • reckless442
    reckless442 Posts: 532 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2014
    Options
    WHY DO YOU FEEL LIKE THIS IS GOOD FOR TRANSITIONING PLAYERS? (for those of you who won't read my whole post)
    Well theoretically if the score ceiling is reduced, that reduces the distance that transitioners will need to push past the 600 point wall?

Thank you Spoit this is a very reasonable argument. In theory if the top scores are closer to 900-1100 (random number guess) then it would be much easier to push there with the new pseudo 8 hour shielding (though as costly or more) then trying to push to 1300+. Regardless of whether or not this comes to pass I am just appreciative to have a conversation that isn't "burn d3 down" or "you guys just hate change and don't get it". Saying it will be great with no support whatsoever is not constructive. I myself can be swayed towards seeing the opposing arguments given enough incentive. Example: Do I think time based PVP sharding has upset some of the balance in the game with death brackets and barren wastelands? Yes, but I also believe that struggling through the process in order to allow people outside of the US (where I reside) have reasonable end times is acceptable.

Whether or not forming a constructive dialogue is of any real benefit is all on the developers and by extension those who monitor the forums on there behalf. If we can't put forward an at least semi unified opinion on how to better the game overall then how can we expect them to make the appropriate decisions. I understand this messages has the stipulation that we must believe that D3 is not only profit mongering, but I ask you all this, If they are profit mongering then nothing we do will have any constructive influence anyway. Therefore the only two logical outcomes I see are us either putting forward valuable proposals to D3 or not posting anything at all as it will have no effect.

Some of you simply want to voice your opinions about certain things and don't wish to open into actual debate on bettering the game. I understand that desire. I myself have recently posted many sarcastic threads in general chat simply in the hope that they make people laugh. This is your right and you should post, just don't be surprised if people don't take you seriously, I know I'm not.
    Why do you think it will be easier to get to 900-1000 if that is the top-end score? If there aren't high scorers available, each match you fight will be worth less. I assume you understand that the scoring differential between that attacker's score and the target's score establishes the amount of points you'll get per battle. So right now, if you are at 600 and you have a target at 1000 points, that match will be worth close to 50 points. But as you and that target reach equal scoring levels, the value drops to 25 points. Attack someone lower than you and the value of the match drops below 25 points.

So let's say you start your serious climb at 600 and the shard leaders are at 1000. Now maybe you get lucky and get one in a node while unshielded (because to stay at 1000, the leader will have to be shielded). So you get a 50 point match. Now you are at 650. But who are you going to attack? How many targets of high value will you be able to find who are worth 40 or more points, when they have to shield for 3 or 8 hours? So instead, you hunt around. Maybe you find a 35 point match of someone just hitting 900. You attack. Now you're at 685. Maybe you find someone else around 900 for another 35. (I'm not counting how much you must be spending on ISO to skip to find these targets.) At 720, things start to slow down. Now for your climb to 900, you can only find 20-30 matches (and have to skip a lot). Let's say your average match from 720 to 900 is 25-30 points ( a fairly optimistic assumption), it takes 7 matches to get to 900. However, once you pass 800, you are the target for the players down at 600. So for every two 25-30 point match you win, you lose at least one 40 point match. (I'm being generous.) And remember those guys you sniped along the way? They come calling for retaliations. So that climb from 600 to 900 is not particularly pleasant. If you're lucky, it takes around 12 matches. If you get nailed for -100 during a match, it will take considerably longer.

Compare that to now when you can get players in the 40 point range for that entire climb and you are not so high comparatively that the hordes will descend on you for being one the few available high-scoring targets. 600 to 900 points can take 7 or 8 matches. Maybe you get an occasional snipe, but mostly there are other, more lucrative targets so they can ignore you.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Dauthi wrote:
    Did they create shields so you could coordinate hitting each other while shielded? You can spin it any way you want, but it is what it is. Sorry.

Actually, they did. Otherwise people would not be hittable while shielded. D3 has been fully aware of this since it was implemented.
    Dauthi, you are the only one that seems to be in favor of this, and it seems to me that a lot of what you have been saying is relying on fallacies and logic gaps.

A more obvious reason why D3 wants to make this change, is because 5 to 6 coordinated hops at 75 HP a piece, can net a person a 1300 point prize, that would cost somebody a lot more HP if they wanted to buy it.
  • Dauthi
    edited December 2014
    Options
    gobstopper wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:
    I know what an exploit is. I'm asking why you are so against something that is so beneficial to the playerbase.

Also, the notion that alliance members cannot hit one another is shaky at best. This game doesn't have true PvP. If it did, you might have a point. But as it stands, coordinating hops harms ZERO players. Through teamwork, which, I repeat, is a natural byproduct of a functioning alliance, each participating alliance member is mutually benefiting.

I wouldn't say it harms zero players, those not in the specified alliances won't have a chance in hell to score 1st or 2nd etc. I will say it doesn't harm me, as I am not a player interesting in scoring 2k to get a reward. Curious though, I obtained my X-forces back when there was a chance, back when I only had to score 1k or so (reasonable scores) and with some luck could obtain something amazing (1st place).
    There is no need to make assumptions about why the devs created alliances or shields. 1) Devs need money. 2) Alliances and shields provide alternative avenues to get money. It's as simple as that. What this change boils down to - and I believe Polarity said this on page 1 - is that the devs have decided to make it more difficult to obtain 3* and 4* covers at a discount through shielding.

I love the spin and sugar coating, but if we both agree it is an exploit, then it is what it is. Like tanking, it wasn't intended and should be fixed, however it is viable to use until then. I won't agree that it is working as intended though, or as it should be working as a practical game system.
    whitecat31 wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:
    Did they create shields so you could coordinate hitting each other while shielded? You can spin it any way you want, but it is what it is. Sorry.

Actually, they did. Otherwise people would not be hittable while shielded. D3 has been fully aware of this since it was implemented.

No, this is an inherent problem in the queuing system like others have stated. To think they intended others to bounce off of each other's shield using their system is quite the jump in logic. Or perhaps it is a "glass is half empty" mentality? Creating a system that creates inequality and instability isn't very profitable though, and tends to collapse.
  • Accident-eLe
    Options
    To put it simply reckless I don't think it will make it easier. I think transitioning players will be attacked a lot more and not have a reasonable apvanue (spending 225 pts on 3 hops) to earn themselves an extra cover or 2 if extremely lucky. I just wanted some of the people posting it will be positive (which I don't think Spoit necessarily believes, instead I think he was just trying to give potential reasonings) to provide support for there beliefs. I think the model you have posted is very accurate for how transitional players will be affected. The game will not change substantially for them, and especially not in a positive direction. I believe those in the 3 to 4 star trAnsition will likely suffer the most as the top tier progression rewards will be harder to Attain. D3 can obviously adjust the reward levels, but I think the new age hopping is what will still get players to this level.

I do not believe d3s reasons given hold any real weight, and like many others feel this is an effort to prevent distribution of cheap 3 and 4 stars.