ISO-8 Brotherhood Dec 04 - 9

Options
1234568»

Comments

• squirrel1120
    Options
    I am slightly confused as I have been doing 2.5 hour complete clears of both these last two nodes since they opened, yet I am steadily falling down the list for both of them, and overall. I'm not really fussed about the rewards in all honesty, but I am intrigued as to how this could be happening.

2.5 hr clears are fine if you are just looking for top 150 (or top 50 even depending on the event). It's just the first part of the story however if you are shooting to outpace others who are doing the same thing. The real trick is to grind out as many nodes as possible in the time after your last normal clear before the event ends.each node can be done 5x until they are only worth 1 pt, which will net the points of approximately 3 full clears. It's on the back of your roster to determine what you can accomplish in that time. Sometimes you can do only a few extra nodes before running out of health packs in tougher events. In the current event, my roster can grind all stacks down to 1 in about an hour. It's the key to placing top2 in the subs. I started later, about 150th after the first sub I cleared ended. I've managed to creep up continually since and I think I have a shot at top 2.

Happy hunting.
  • Thanks much, TooBadUnknown, much appreciated. It's been a good race guys.

Lol, ballingbees, no need to thank me! You look to have top 2 anyways tbh! 1st and 2nd gets the same prize! icon_razz.gif
  • I am slightly confused as I have been doing 2.5 hour complete clears of both these last two nodes since they opened, yet I am steadily falling down the list for both of them, and overall. I'm not really fussed about the rewards in all honesty, but I am intrigued as to how this could be happening.

2.5 hr clears are fine if you are just looking for top 150 (or top 50 even depending on the event). It's just the first part of the story however if you are shooting to outpace others who are doing the same thing. The real trick is to grind out as many nodes as possible in the time after your last normal clear before the event ends.each node can be done 5x until they are only worth 1 pt, which will net the points of approximately 3 full clears. It's on the back of your roster to determine what you can accomplish in that time. Sometimes you can do only a few extra nodes before running out of health packs in tougher events. In the current event, my roster can grind all stacks down to 1 in about an hour. It's the key to placing top2 in the subs. I started later, about 150th after the first sub I cleared ended. I've managed to creep up continually since and I think I have a shot at top 2.

Happy hunting.

Hm interesting. I guess as my roster becomes more ruthless I'll be able to perform better in order to do stuff like this....
  • ark123 wrote:
    I am slightly confused as I have been doing 2.5 hour complete clears of both these last two nodes since they opened, yet I am steadily falling down the list for both of them, and overall. I'm not really fussed about the rewards in all honesty, but I am intrigued as to how this could be happening.
    Doing 2.5 clears doesn't keep you on the top of the subs, it just makes sure you will be when you grind them down in the last minutes.

Well I did 2.5 hits for both of the last two sub events, then a complete clear in the last hour, and dropped from 8th to 39th overall.

So, once again, this game baffles me.
  • I am slightly confused as I have been doing 2.5 hour complete clears of both these last two nodes since they opened, yet I am steadily falling down the list for both of them, and overall. I'm not really fussed about the rewards in all honesty, but I am intrigued as to how this could be happening.

Happy hunting.

As above. If someone can enlighten me as to what went wrong I would be delighted. I dropped from 8th to 45th steadily throughout the day despite hits every 2.5 hours. When I went to do a complete sweep with an hour to go I was 45th, and a total clear of all nodes, down to about 50 points, on both sub events got me up to the heady heights of 39th.

As said before, I'm not that fussed. Will barely use Marvel I think, but with the new end times I thought "finally, I can actually compete" and ended up pretty much in the same spot as when the finish time was 4am an I had missed the last six hours of events icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ark123 wrote:
    Doing 2.5 clears doesn't keep you on the top of the subs, it just makes sure you will be when you grind them down in the last minutes.

Well I did 2.5 hits for both of the last two sub events, then a complete clear in the last hour, and dropped from 8th to 39th overall.

So, once again, this game baffles me.
    "Complete clear" and "last hour" doesn't sound like you grinded the nodes down to 1 in the end. Which was necessary to end up T10 with level 20 enemies in this PVE.
    If we ever get scaling like this again, start with two hours to go and grind everything down to dust, because everyone else is doing it, too.
  • Yeah, I still don't get it. The nodes had 50 points each left, that wasn't going to get me up one place at that point, let alone more. Clearly I have missed a trick here, I just have no idea what.

Just trying to figure it out if/when I actually want to really go for a PVE. With the new PVP stuff I am screwed (have a team of 121 level so get smacked about the moment I go above 500) and my remaining hope for progression is PVE. And top 50 is fine for that but it would be nice to think I can go higher.
  • Finished 50th with as little effort as I've ever put into a PvE thanks to the silly low levelled enemies. I'm not even sure any of my characters (principally Patch, Daken, Blade + Gamora) got killed during the entire event... that's probably not right tbh.
  • 41 Tokens, nearly 2000 HP, who knows how much Iso and Yellow XForce, lots of grinding but damn, I feel like I've raided a vault icon_e_biggrin.gif.
  • ballingbees
    ballingbees Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    what if.. this is the answer to the roster slots dilemma
  • SymmeTrey
    SymmeTrey Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Options
    TooBadUnknown, thanks again, really appreciate you pumping the brakes there. And great job ballingbees as well, it's been quite a race the last few days.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Woo!! Proud owner of a brand new Wolverine. He's green and a 2*, but he's mine, at least until he's sold for 250iso.

Happy hunting.

I too am trying to figure out how to finish top 2 overall as I can easily hit 2.5 hours the entire PVE but still only manage top 50 overall. I'm thinking I am losing at the start of the matches.

When the first round of nodes ends I have usually been grinding all nodes down to 1 the last hour and am so burned out that by 11pm when the 2nd round starts I only play each one once, and do not clear them down to ~8hr refresh before going to bed that night?
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Switchman wrote:
    I too am trying to figure out how to finish top 2 overall as I can easily hit 2.5 hours the entire PVE but still only manage top 50 overall. I'm thinking I am losing at the start of the matches.

When the first round of nodes ends I have usually been grinding all nodes down to 1 the last hour and am so burned out that by 11pm when the 2nd round starts I only play each one once, and do not clear them down to ~8hr refresh before going to bed that night?

That'll do it if you don't grind the nodes down before bed you give up 1.4-1.8 refreshes (2-3 extra clears) worth of points to people who did...in a longer event with rb you might be able to get away with that but 12hr subs with trivial enemies that leaves you dead in the water.
  • squirrel1120
    Options
    Switchman, that'd definitely make a difference. If a node is worth 100 pts(just for the sake of easy math here), 3 clears before bed is worth 240 pts. Giving that up once a day for a sleep cycle on 10 nodes is bound to add up. In harder events you just push as much as you can on that goal. On an event like this, all the points were basically free once the nodes went to super easy levels, so optimum play as we've described has to net a top 10 at least, if not a top 2. Leave any part of the equation out tho... and you just can't help but drop when someone does everything.

Hermanbloom, there is no other trick. Seriously. Grinding the 50 pt nodes to 1 might not have gained you placement on one set of subs toward the end, but if those points are left on the table every iteration, they are going to add up.

If you look for best placement starting right away with grinding:

*Clear nodes as soon as possible when a sub opens.
    *Clear every 2.5 hrs.
    *Clear quickly: speed has a marginal positive effect.
    *Clear stacks down 3x to accommodate a 8hr sleep or work (a true 2.5 hr grinder still wins here, but better than exclung it)
    *Clear nodes as many times as possible in the last refresh before event end. Focus on points.

The last point is important, and knowing what you can do helps. In harder events an extra clear of essential nodes and the grinding the trivial nodes to 1 will often net more and be less painful than trying to get one bigger lump out of a hard or deadly node in my experience.

As for roster strength... it had little to do with it once the nodes all went to trivially easy. I didn't even break out lcap who I've brought up to 150 just for pve, and who was buffed. My team was generally a.wolvie or patch(lvl125) with obw. Add either daken to add speed, add spidey or bullseye to reduce health pack usage against villians. A full clear was under 15 min on 10 nodes, and they could all be ground into 1 pt in just over an hour.
  • Thanks for the post but my point is that at the start of the final set of sub nodes I was top 10 in the overall event. Then over the next 12 hours, despite an every 2.5 hour hit on all nodes and then grinding down to 50 on each node in the last hour, I steadily dropped down over those 12 hours, and when I started my final grind I was mid 40's and could only get back up to late 30's.

I have been told, by everyone, that if I hit the nodes every 2.5 hours and then grind at the end, I should go up the rankings. At the very least not plummet down.

That is the bit I don't understand. I fully get the concept of "hit every 2.5 and then grind at the end" but I did it, and fell down the list.
  • You might need to grind down all the way to 1. To 50 might not be enough in the most competitive brackets, because 10 nodes at 50 is still 500 points. Were you in the bracket that opened as soon as the event did? Because that's a miserable bracket.

There's also the fact that the low levels meant nobody was getting locked out of nodes.

But dropping that far sounds almost like you missed a sub.
  • That is what I assumed, but there were two subs at the end, yeah? I looked at the players above me at the end and worked out that once my nodes were all 50 points or less, I could basically overtake one or two people if I hit them all, and as that made no difference to the level of rewards I just gave up. Really have no idea what happened this time around.
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    Options
    That is what I assumed, but there were two subs at the end, yeah? I looked at the players above me at the end and worked out that once my nodes were all 50 points or less, I could basically overtake one or two people if I hit them all, and as that made no difference to the level of rewards I just gave up. Really have no idea what happened this time around.

While it's difficult to know exactly what happened without knowing a lot more information about how you played the end of the event and other guys in your bracket played the end it was possible to get a fair number of extra points just by playing the nodes in a more efficient manner.

Example let's assume a node with 1000 base points (not too far removed from reality I think the highest value in the last sub was 980).

Guy 1 just immediately does the node 5 times as soon as the points regen he's going to score 3000 points.

Guy 2 hits the node once as soon as the points regen but then waits a little over an hour to hit it again (something he can do because everything is trivial and clearing everything to one only takes him about an hour) his node has regained about 10% of it's points and he can now get 1000 * (.9 + .7 + .5 + .3 + .1) + his original 1000 points giving him an extra 500 points over Guy 1.

It's hard to imagine 40+ guys all intentionally playing more efficiently than you but it is conceivable a fair number would do it just by shear dumb luck.

EDIT: For clarity hopefully.
  • I guess that explains it, or for some of them anyway. I'll see what happens in the next event, hopefully not the same thing!