ISO-8 Brotherhood Dec 04 - 9

Options

Comments

• ark123 wrote:
    Fievel wrote:
    Oh nice, icon_caroldanvers.pngblackflag.png will finish off her 3/5/5 spec for me. Not that I expect top 50 to be easy, but I don't have to work toward top 10.

Why. This is an old character that tons of people have maxed, progression is a pretty **** character (if new), and the top reward is xforce's worst color.

This is going to be a leisurely hike of a pve.

Like you mentioned earlier, PVE & PVP are different beasts. Just because the whales aren't gunning for it, the transition players (like me) might actually need the top rewards. Plus I work long hours during the day and it makes sustained progress in PVE an absolute pain.
  • Fievel wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    Fievel wrote:
    Oh nice, icon_caroldanvers.pngblackflag.png will finish off her 3/5/5 spec for me. Not that I expect top 50 to be easy, but I don't have to work toward top 10.

Why. This is an old character that tons of people have maxed, progression is a pretty **** character (if new), and the top reward is xforce's worst color.

This is going to be a leisurely hike of a pve.

Like you mentioned earlier, PVE & PVP are different beasts. Just because the whales aren't gunning for it, the transition players (like me) might actually need the top rewards. Plus I work long hours during the day and it makes sustained progress in PVE an absolute pain.

Problem is that for every fifty transitioning players you have a guy like me, who doesn't really need the covers much but could use them, and always keeps his 2.5h schedule
    I could use the covers though. My first four covers I got from the last CM pvp, so I'm gonna gun for top 5 hard in this one
  • If the subs are still 100 HP for top 10, expect all the best F2P guys to be out in full force. This event has always been one of the best way to make HP for those too cheap to buy it (like me). I remember the last few runs of Iso 8 I pretty much didn't care what the main bracket is but I ended up somewhere around 1-3 because that's what it took to get top 10 in every sub.
  • Phantron wrote:
    If the subs are still 100 HP for top 10, expect all the best F2P guys to be out in full force. This event has always been one of the best way to make HP for those too cheap to buy it (like me). I remember the last few runs of Iso 8 I pretty much didn't care what the main bracket is but I ended up somewhere around 1-3 because that's what it took to get top 10 in every sub.

If you want to roll the dice you can join the last couple hours and there's a decent chance you'll get 1-3rd place. It really shafts your alliance but if you're solo, who cares
  • Ryz-aus
    Ryz-aus Posts: 386
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    If the subs are still 100 HP for top 10, expect all the best F2P guys to be out in full force. This event has always been one of the best way to make HP for those too cheap to buy it (like me). I remember the last few runs of Iso 8 I pretty much didn't care what the main bracket is but I ended up somewhere around 1-3 because that's what it took to get top 10 in every sub.

I joined the first end time, and can confirm it is still 100 hp for top ten on the subs, with 50 hp for top fifty. I am definitely among those who will grind for hp even though I don't need marvel covers.
  • heroguy35
    Options
    Haven't seen this anywhere so just a heads up for those wondering...similar to pvp your main and SUBS begin when you choose your time slice.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    Awww yes time to get back some of the 900 HP or whatever I spent in Fresh Cut for GT.
  • I'm trying to put in the bare minimum into PVE now - would be really helpful if the top-post in these PVE threads could contain details of the sub-event timings (if these are fixed / consistent?).

Is there any more confirmation on the event times? The first sub-event 12 hours?
  • fickle wrote:

Is there any more confirmation on the event times? The first sub-event 12 hours?

They are all 12 hour I think from the reading of

"David wrote:
    Moore"]
    *Update (12/03/14): The plan for this test is to have 5 selectable end times similar to how the Versus end time selection works. To keep variables down on the test, we're leaving the Sub-Event timers the same, which means that they're going to be 12 hour subs. This will help us to nail down any bugs that may appear. Specifically, we can rule out anything related to the changing of sub times.

A reminder - when selecting your end time, choosing a final end time in the afternoon may mean that previous subs end early in the morning.
  • heroguy35 wrote:
    Haven't seen this anywhere so just a heads up for those wondering...similar to pvp your main and SUBS begin when you choose your time slice.

Is this true? I thought it starts when you unlock the sub event from the main-event... ?

What I mean is - if I want the maximum rubberbanding bonus - I need to unlock the sub event 8 hours into the first event.. right?
  • Ryz-aus
    Options
    fickle wrote:
    heroguy35 wrote:

Is this true? I thought it starts when you unlock the sub event from the main-event... ?

What I mean is - if I want the maximum rubberbanding bonus - I need to unlock the sub event 8 hours into the first event.. right?

As soon as you unlock the subs, you will find you will already have been bracketed and that both the easy and hard subs will have the same number of players. This means you are put in the sub brackets as soon as you join the pve, even if you haven't unlocked them for play. I expect after you've completed a sub it will go back to the normal "bracketed when you first complete a node in the sub" method.
  • Ryz-aus wrote:
    fickle wrote:
    heroguy35 wrote:

As soon as you unlock the subs, you will find you will already have been bracketed and that both the easy and hard subs will have the same number of players. This means you are put in the sub brackets as soon as you join the pve, even if you haven't unlocked them for play. I expect after you've completed a sub it will go back to the normal "bracketed when you first complete a node in the sub" method.

If I dont start playing till maybe 5-6 hours into the this event though, will I still get a rubberbanding bonus?
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    So if ppl care about a character they'll play in PVP or PVE, and last CMarv PVP was bloody, I know how I'm betting
    I'll take that bet. With the season ending, and the no-break PvE schedule, this one is going to be the break people have been looking for.
  • Ryz-aus
    Options
    Ryz-aus wrote:
    I expect after you've completed a sub it will go back to the normal "bracketed when you first complete a node in the sub" method.

I got this one wrong. For the second set of subs, they were bracketed immediately even though I haven't played any nodes in them. This eliminates the join the sub late and grind method - you will still be bracketed with people who might grind all 12 hours. I'll still join most of them fairly late - I'm not willing to grind all subs for 12 hours for 100 hp, and I think rubber banding might get me top 50 anyway. It also might weaken the subs overall - anyone who joined the pve is bracketed into a sub, even if they are casual and skip playing for the whole 12 hours.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ryz-aus wrote:
    Ryz-aus wrote:
    I expect after you've completed a sub it will go back to the normal "bracketed when you first complete a node in the sub" method.

I got this one wrong. For the second set of subs, they were bracketed immediately even though I haven't played any nodes in them. This eliminates the join the sub late and grind method - you will still be bracketed with people who might grind all 12 hours. I'll still join most of them them fairly late - I'm not willing to grind all subs for 12 hours for 100 hp. It also might weaken the subs overall - anyone who joined the pve is bracketed into a sub, even if they are casual and skip playing for the whole 12 hours.

Easier to place in a sub, harder to win one strikes me as the immediate result.

If you have a grinder in your main then you're behind him even if he's in a different sub, so if your main=sub throughout the event then there's no real difference other than he'll probably beat you for all the rewards now instead of just the main. So from that angle, this change stinks for the casual player.
  • Nefesh
    Nefesh Posts: 82 Match Maker
    Options
    2 subs every 12 hours??? really? How are we supposed to play those subs at night? Is this some kind of a bad joke? Then return back 12 hour refresh interval!
    I thought this game is sick.. no.. devs are the sick ones...

And, folks, be careful when selecting your time slice...
  • Ryz-aus
    Options

Easier to place in a sub, harder to win one strikes me as the immediate result.

If you have a grinder in your main then you're behind him even if he's in a different sub, so if your main=sub throughout the event then there's no real difference other than he'll probably beat you for all the rewards now instead of just the main. So from that angle, this change stinks for the casual player.

I won't play the current subs until the last two or three hours - I'll post how it goes and whether rubber band gets me anywhere close. For comparison I was first in both of the first set of subs and I would normally expect to get top 10 if I can grind at the end of a sub. Being with a group of people who chose this end time, I wouldn't be surprised if I did a bit worse than the past.

I agree that it shouldn't impact the main bracket, other than it encourages grinding when the sub rewards are good so if you don't go along with that a few more players might beat you. It's more that it's an unexpected change in bracketing that might catch people by surprise, and reduces an edge in sub rewards that knowledgeable late joiners could take advantage of.
  • PeterGibbons316
    Options
    So if I pick the normal time, when does the first sub end, tonight at midnight? I don't have a lot of time to play today so I'm thinking I just wait til 10, pick that time slot, and take down as many nodes as I can for the last 2 hours. Is that completely stupid?
  • With 12 hours sub unless the rubberband has been changed significantly there isn't even enough time for the leader to accumulate a meaningful lead and I think recently you don't even get past about 2X even when the leader is ahead by some ridiculous number like 100K.

Having the jackpot iso missions open immediately is a nice gesture, but it may lead to some shocking discovery for those playing the hard bracket since that's also supposed to be the hardest mission in the pack too. I was really afraid it'd be repeatable. Thankfully, it was not.

The initial scaling on this event seems to be extremely aggressive. I guess this is because with subs being so short there isn't enough time for community scaling to kick in.
  • orionpeace
    orionpeace Posts: 343 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I agree. The initial scaling is definitely higher than normal.

Rubberbanding may be a non-factor in this event if it based solely on sub-leader. The subs are just too short for the lead to open up to a high enough margin to make rubberband a viable strategy.

I'll know by tomorrow morning.