Thick As Thieves: Nov 19th - Nov 25th

Options

Comments

• Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    man, I burnt all my medpacks on that essential node. Couldn't even try to attempt those lvl 300+ hood nodes
  • While I think that this event has been pretty okay in terms of sub rewards and no ridiculous scaling, I think I've experienced some outrageous sharding shenanigans. I started playing the pve with less than 24 hours to go before the end of the third sub, and after doing one node I was #989 in my main bracket. The leader of my bracket had almost 100k points, which was in the ballpark of the scores of the top players in top alliances at that time. So with less than a day left in the third sub I was sharded into the same main bracket as people who played from the very start? Well that's just great icon_evil.gif
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For those not named Sumilea and wondering about the rubberband, my score is unchanged from before (28677) and my 3 essentials are worth 1103, 1297, and 1492. Additionally the bracket is up to 111. It's been open for 3 hours now so I wouldn't really count on a new one opening unless it picks up from a lot of people waiting.
  • mohio wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    I don't understand why they changed the model where the main nodes are not repeatable. I wouldn't mind having an early day off, but if they want people to have something to do they can just run a 24 hour sub again. There are way too many nodes and way too many points. It's pretty much a 24 hour Heroic Jugg/Venom in terms of node density.
    I just joined 30 minutes before the end of that last sub and I'm already dreading this need to grind for the next 24 hours cause there are so many points. Hoping some of these guys in my bracket take it easy and I can grab a big enough lead so I don't have to kill myself.

I think you will be pretty safe due to 30mins of extra points from that last sub over anyone who joined after it finished. A full clear of the nodes just now put me in 20th with 13.5k points. I don't see how I could catch you up even hitting every refresh for 2.5hrs if you are doing the same even with rubberbanding.
  • mohio wrote:
    For those not named Sumilea and wondering about the rubberband, my score is unchanged from before (28677) and my 3 essentials are worth 1103, 1297, and 1492. Additionally the bracket is up to 111. It's been open for 3 hours now so I wouldn't really count on a new one opening unless it picks up from a lot of people waiting.

My two lowest essentials are 680/800 and I assume that's no rubberband since that's awfully nice round numbers, so you get a bit more than 150% of base points while being behind by more than 100K.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    flnn1 wrote:
    While I think that this event has been pretty okay in terms of sub rewards and no ridiculous scaling, I think I've experienced some outrageous sharding shenanigans. I started playing the pve with less than 24 hours to go before the end of the third sub, and after doing one node I was #989 in my main bracket. The leader of my bracket had almost 100k points, which was in the ballpark of the scores of the top players in top alliances at that time. So with less than a day left in the third sub I was sharded into the same main bracket as people who played from the very start? Well that's just great icon_evil.gif
    That's the risk of joining late
  • Spoit wrote:
    flnn1 wrote:
    While I think that this event has been pretty okay in terms of sub rewards and no ridiculous scaling, I think I've experienced some outrageous sharding shenanigans. I started playing the pve with less than 24 hours to go before the end of the third sub, and after doing one node I was #989 in my main bracket. The leader of my bracket had almost 100k points, which was in the ballpark of the scores of the top players in top alliances at that time. So with less than a day left in the third sub I was sharded into the same main bracket as people who played from the very start? Well that's just great icon_evil.gif
    Yeah I know, there's that risk. It's just that I thought the worst that could happen is I get into a bracket with people who did the second sub. I didn't expect there to be people from the start icon_cry.gif
  • I'd have no issue with this event if it wasn't for all the subs and the main finishing at 5am (GMT) / 6am (CET). That means that anyone in Europe needed to wake up 4 times during this event at stupid o'clock to play for a minimum of 45 minutes, if they wanted to place in the top 50... let alone top 10.

Even with pretty regular (avg 3hrs apart) grinding and waking up for the end of every sub, I'm still only ranked 28th. I knew I wasn't going to be top 10 due to having a busy week but those 5am finishes have been just ridiculous.

I think people are giving the devs an easier time because the time slicing is being rolled out (in pvp of all things) but this event has been a real kick in the balls to the folks in GMT/CET.
  • I have reached an amicable compromise with D3. Whilst they continue to give me, as a UK user, finish times that make the rewards unobtainable, I don't give them a penny.

If/when they change it properly, I'll spend some cash again (as I did at the start before I realised the finish times were basically blowing raspberries at me 90% of the time).

Until then, they are actively putting me at a disadvantage over other players, simply because of where I live, so why would I give them money?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mohio wrote:
    Hoping some of these guys in my bracket take it easy and I can grab a big enough lead so I don't have to kill myself.
    You're totally safe already, I think you should just stop playing completely now *

*so I can make up the 14K difference.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It does not look like there will be much rubber banding in the Main so if people play the nodes a couple times everyone will probably finish where they are at.
  • I'm in like #4 now, with about a 16k lead on #10. I figure doing about 6 of the nodes every three hours should make top 10 pretty safe. If the other two people I"m competing with for #2 slack off, that might be viable; there's three of us bunched up within about 500-1000 points and then a big drop.
  • Like the lucky SOB that I am, I managed to pull a Falcon cover from my event token, so now I sacrificed some sleep last night in an effort to combat the work-day absence. I left at #78. If I'm in top 200 when I get home, I think I should have a chance at 1 cover.
  • I'd have no issue with this event if it wasn't for all the subs and the main finishing at 5am (GMT) / 6am (CET). That means that anyone in Europe needed to wake up 4 times during this event at stupid o'clock to play for a minimum of 45 minutes, if they wanted to place in the top 50... let alone top 10.

I am not going to have to wake up at stupid o'clock for a top 10 finish. Currently 31.5K over tenth and slowly extending the advantage. (I am sure Lukewin happy to hear this as I flown passed them after they held second spot for the past 4 days)
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Fun is Sentry bombing Hood-Magneto with Hulk-Daken-Falcon. (TUs do have a use occasionally.)
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bowgentle wrote:
    mohio wrote:
    Hoping some of these guys in my bracket take it easy and I can grab a big enough lead so I don't have to kill myself.
    You're totally safe already, I think you should just stop playing completely now *

*so I can make up the 14K difference.
    I don't really care about first/second, but I've got my daughters thanksgiving pageant, then feast, then I'm donating platelets (another 2 hours) later today so I'm gonna miss a few resets. Gotta get the points when I can.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sumilea wrote:
    I'd have no issue with this event if it wasn't for all the subs and the main finishing at 5am (GMT) / 6am (CET). That means that anyone in Europe needed to wake up 4 times during this event at stupid o'clock to play for a minimum of 45 minutes, if they wanted to place in the top 50... let alone top 10.

I am not going to have to wake up at stupid o'clock for a top 10 finish. Currently 31.5K over tenth and slowly extending the advantage. (I am sure Lukewin happy to hear this as I flown passed them after they held second spot for the past 4 days)

So happy to hear this. I don't have any IW Green. I thought I was going to kiss that cover goodbye. I will still be playing, as my alliance needs a push to get into Top 100. Real classy move, as you could stay up and grab that IW Green for the 1000 ISO, or start a new IW.
  • Sumilea wrote:
    I'd have no issue with this event if it wasn't for all the subs and the main finishing at 5am (GMT) / 6am (CET). That means that anyone in Europe needed to wake up 4 times during this event at stupid o'clock to play for a minimum of 45 minutes, if they wanted to place in the top 50... let alone top 10.

Congrats on the easy bracket then I guess? My one has been ultra competitive from the start. Frankly though, I can't see how anyone from Europe could achieve top 10 without grinding out the end of at least 3 of the 4 finishes.
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    Options
    flnn1 wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    flnn1 wrote:
    Yeah I know, there's that risk. It's just that I thought the worst that could happen is I get into a bracket with people who did the second sub. I didn't expect there to be people from the start icon_cry.gif

100K was very doable with just the 2nd and 3rd subs.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I wonder how much of a lead is sufficient for me to get an 8hr sleep. 7k sufficient?