Thick As Thieves: Nov 19th - Nov 25th

Options

Comments

• I don't understand how the guy in front of me can go up 4k points every hour when the nodes have a 2 1/2hour refresh rate?
  • j0nats
    j0nats Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Vankysher wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Vankysher wrote:
    Anyone have suggestions for Scotland Yard IX?
    The boosted Juggy is killing any combos I run since Falcon is required making my offensive options a bit limited.
    I've tried AWolv/Thor, MNMag/cStorm and have yet to clear that node even once despite it showing as "Normal" for me.

Without knowing your exact roster I'm guessing you don't have Daken 3* and you don't have Inspiration on a high level, so it's essentialy a 2on3 and the characters that'd appear best out of the available roster would be OBW + whoever is your best damage guy (Thor or Wolverine most likely). Don't worry about special tiles because you need both Daken 3* and a very high level Inspiration to make it work.

My Daken 3* is only 0/2/1 so he clearly needs covers and my Daken 2* is 5/3/5 but only at lvl 59.
    My Falcon is 2/2/2 so yeah Inspiration doesn't do a whole lot for me.
    Thx for the suggestions. I'll give OBW & AWolv a shot.

falcon obw and awolv is my goto team... i took this juggernaut team down with just these 3. The trick is to keep getting the purples and deny his red n greens. Inspire when u get the chance. Then build up adamantium slash. Boost red if u need or pink.
  • Sumilea wrote:
    I just made 11.2K on my first clear of the sub so by the end should be in excess of 35K.
    dazstoke78 wrote:
    I don't understand how the guy in front of me can go up 4k points every hour when the nodes have a 2 1/2hour refresh rate?

There is nothing saying someone has to clear every node at the same time. Clear half the nodes right away, half the nodes in 1 hr 15 minutes. Get 4000 points every hour, since Sumilea is saying there are 11K available per clear.
  • papa07 wrote:
    Assuming the event is the following

156-120 Sub 1
    120-72 Sub 2
    72-24 Sub 3
    24-0 Main Nodes (Repeatable)

If that is the case, each subevent will rubberband off the subevent global leader, but the main nodes will rubberband off the main event global leader. This was an old format for this event that was scrubbed due to ridiculous placement drop in the last 2 hours. Basically, set your alarms, if you aren't playing the last hour (and preferably the clear before that) you could easily drop from 1st to no Rocket/Groot covers.

If that is the format, it tinykitty sucks and was something D3 was, in theory, listening to us and moving away from.

Can anybody confirm the timeframe of Sub 3 or anything else that is currently open? Ready to jump in with a fresh bracket. Thanks.
  • Adam12
    Adam12 Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    Options
    These subs are entirely too long. I only started yesterday morning and I'm already more than tired of it.
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 746 Critical Contributor
    Options
    papa07 wrote:
    papa07 wrote:
    Assuming the event is the following

156-120 Sub 1
    120-72 Sub 2
    72-24 Sub 3
    24-0 Main Nodes (Repeatable)

If that is the case, each subevent will rubberband off the subevent global leader, but the main nodes will rubberband off the main event global leader. This was an old format for this event that was scrubbed due to ridiculous placement drop in the last 2 hours. Basically, set your alarms, if you aren't playing the last hour (and preferably the clear before that) you could easily drop from 1st to no Rocket/Groot covers.

If that is the format, it tinykitty sucks and was something D3 was, in theory, listening to us and moving away from.

Can anybody confirm the timeframe of Sub 3 or anything else that is currently open? Ready to jump in with a fresh bracket. Thanks.

I can confirm the timeframe given for Sub 3, it ends with 24 hours left to go for the event. It is the only thing open at this time, aside from the one node in the Main needed to open any subs of course. Hope this helps.
  • papa07 wrote:
    Sumilea wrote:
    I just made 11.2K on my first clear of the sub so by the end should be in excess of 35K.
    dazstoke78 wrote:
    I don't understand how the guy in front of me can go up 4k points every hour when the nodes have a 2 1/2hour refresh rate?

There is nothing saying someone has to clear every node at the same time. Clear half the nodes right away, half the nodes in 1 hr 15 minutes. Get 4000 points every hour, since Sumilea is saying there are 11K available per clear.

Thats 11K with the rubber band I had. The base total per clear is about 4K. Anyhow with 5 clears to go I am already at 29K so going to get well in excess of 50K this sub.
  • squirrel1120
    squirrel1120 Posts: 492
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Between family things and work, I managed to get pretty behind, but thankfully a head-cold caught me, and I've caught up a bit. '

Barring any tinykitty cascades on the AI side, a.wolvie/falcon/obw do rather well through the nodes. This is the first even where falcon has become useable at 4/5/2, and man do I love that little bird Redwing. Thanks for snatching up tons of sunder countdowns, adamantium bones, and the odd mook countdown that Lcap can't get to.

Speaking of which, I truly understand why forumites call Lcap the king of pve. At his current 4/5/4 build, I can't wait for it to become 3/5/5. Putting Lcap/falcon/ and a 1/2/1 IM40 in a group has cleared the 2 deadly rated mook nodes several times without a hiccup. If I ever get another IM40 yellow, I wonder if I should even add it. Needing three yellow matches instead of two will mean not getting that very helpful recharge off as often. What's the general consensus on that? Assuming I relegate both toons to pve, is Lcap better with a 5/5/1 or a 5/5/2 IM40?

I recall disliking the upcoming hood nodes... but I think my roster has become more capable since the last run. It also seems like the go-to team on most of the nodes might make things go a little easier.

edit: yeah, cant make a 4/5/5 lcap, fixed to 3/5/5. heh
  • I would say 5/5/2, as then you are firing both Cap shields for the rest of the node. Without help, 12 blue takes a while to get to. Double the shield chucking for 2 more yellow.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Barring any tinykitty cascades on the AI side, a.wolvie/falcon/obw do rather well through the nodes. This is the first even where falcon has become useable at 4/5/2, and man do I love that little bird Redwing. Thanks for snatching up tons of sunder countdowns, adamantium bones, and the odd mook countdown that Lcap can't get to.

Speaking of which, I truly understand why forumites call Lcap the king of pve. At his current 4/5/4 build, I can't wait for it to become 4/5/5. Putting Lcap/falcon/ and a 1/2/1 IM40 in a group has cleared the 2 deadly rated mook nodes several times without a hiccup. If I ever get another IM40 yellow, I wonder if I should even add it. Needing three yellow matches instead of two will mean not getting that very helpful recharge off as often. What's the general consensus on that? Assuming I relegate both toons to pve, is Lcap better with a 5/5/1 or a 5/5/2 IM40?

I recall disliking the upcoming hood nodes... but I think my roster has become more capable since the last run. It also seems like the go-to team on most of the nodes might make things go a little easier.

My Falcon is 5/3/5, so I miss out on him taking out CD tiles. I would like to have 14 covers as well, icon_e_wink.gif . My 3/5/5 Lcap is sweet when it comes to throwing shields. In these nodes, I'm even throwing blue, when it'll come back in time to use OBW's blue, and leave behind a protect tile that Inspiration Falcon will strengthen. I am likely keeping my IM40 at 1 yellow, because if I boost red/yellow, I only need 1 yellow match.
  • I heard they were going to run thick as thieves twice in a row... is this true?
  • silverrex wrote:
    I heard they were going to run thick as thieves twice in a row... is this true?

I think we get a new, Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-focused PVE next, and that will run twice in a row (the second time, it will award Gamora), according to that article they posted.
  • I'm praying the new RR/Groot PVE is some kind of new format. This endless grind is maddening but I'm in too deep to quit now.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    SUPERTOM wrote:
    I'm praying the new RR/Groot PVE is some kind of new format. This endless grind is maddening but I'm in too deep to quit now.
    Here is the quote from the Q and A:

Q: Could you share with us some info on the new Story mode or the new game mode? There's no need to tell us the expected date, but sharing some info will get us excited. Maybe like telling us the new antagonist (Apocalypse, Sentinel, etc.)?

A: Just a couple hints on the new Event and game mode rolling out in December:
    1. You’ve seen one of the antagonists in the game already.
    2. There’s a new minion group, with Red and Black abilities.
    3. There are a lot of them.

meet RR and Groot will be run twice and then the new Event and game mode will roll out. I don't think it will be a major shift in game mode as it is a match 3 game, but it should make for a good story at least.
  • squirrel1120
    Options
    lukewin wrote:
    My Falcon is 5/3/5, so I miss out on him taking out CD tiles. I would like to have 14 covers as well, icon_e_wink.gif . My 3/5/5 Lcap is sweet when it comes to throwing shields. In these nodes, I'm even throwing blue, when it'll come back in time to use OBW's blue, and leave behind a protect tile that Inspiration Falcon will strengthen. I am likely keeping my IM40 at 1 yellow, because if I boost red/yellow, I only need 1 yellow match.

Yeah, same idea here with Falcon, except falcon's power doesn't consumer the AP. Make sure to delay the blue Frisbee anytime there is a countdown that Redwing can nab (unless there is already the 5ap in the bank). Of course, Falcon might be easily replaced with another character once I can spec 3/5/5 once that blue shield can over-write tiles.

I tried Lcap/IM40/MnMags last run on the hardest goon node (Scotland Yard VII), and it ran just as easily, since gathering enough purple means crits, extra blue for stuns, as well as matching up blue to directly remove sniper shots. I had to delay a few abilities toward the end so I didn't have more than 30 blue AP coming in so it wouldn't be lost. It feels really weird to not fear those lvl 306 enemies right now (be time to make a clear in 20 min), even though my highest unbuffed characters are ~140. I end up taking more damage on the 3x mucsle node, since almost everytime a threaten countdown resolves to drop a match into place.
  • Rusalka
    Rusalka Posts: 155
    Options
    Gotta love MNMags and CStorm. My last goon node is at level 306, and they still rip right through it. It's especially nice now that we can tell who owns which CD tile, so that I always know which goon to stun next. Just once in my life, though, I'd like to use Mags's red and not have the CD tile placed in a corner.

Aside from the two crazy-level goon nodes, Patch/Falcon/Psylocke have carried me through everything except that last essential Jugs node. For that one, I break out LCap and Hood.
  • Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Rubber Banding is completely wonky for me. I've been playing roughly every 12 hours and still only have 30k points compared to other people with almost 100k. What the hell is going on here :/

I feel like I'm playing too much and getting punished for it or something. None of the nodes really stay high after I clean through them.
  • Vankysher
    Vankysher Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Katai wrote:
    Rubber Banding is completely wonky for me. I've been playing roughly every 12 hours and still only have 30k points compared to other people with almost 100k. What the hell is going on here :/

I feel like I'm playing too much and getting punished for it or something. None of the nodes really stay high after I clean through them.

I think the rubber band effect has been fairly weak this entire event.

When I started this current sub last night, I was top 10. I did a single clear and attempted a second clear but failed by a few nodes before going to sleep. Overnight I fell to upper 50s and have only been able to get into the upper 20s/low 30s by semi-consistently clearing all the nodes I can - skipping the 2 deadly Scotland Yard VI & VII - every refresh. My few attempts of the 2 deadly goon nodes resulted in wipes without my team downing a single goon so I skip them to conserve health packs.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Katai wrote:

Quite the opposite: RB is low so you need to grind as much as possible: the people with 100k are grinding every 2.5 hours, or close to it.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My grades so far for Thick As Thieves PVE through 3 subs.

#1 Buffed Characters: Falcon, Psylock, Storm, OBW, 2*HT, Wolvie- B+ rating. None of the 3* are OP, but they have some very nice synergy. Falcon can buff strike tiles and Attack tiles made from Psy, Storm, HT and OBW can double dip, extend CD tiles and steal AP. I am personally running a huge amount of LDaken, Falcon, Psylock and it has worked really well. Storm has gotten very little run even though she has an active Green. Her powers are just too expensive compared to Psylock. Falcon is the key to this team though. If you don't have a good amount of yellow and 4+ blue you need to bring OBW along. If you have a correctly built Falcon you are in really good shape. Also none of the buffed characters other than OBW are main stays in PVP.

#2 Difficulty: A So far none of the subs have had a OMG the AI is cheating. IM35, Cmags, Don is the closest, but once people figured it out it was not that bad. For all the subs maybe 1 node has required boosts to beat and that feels about right. Yes each sub has had a node you can wipe out on, but it was not all of them requiring boosts. Being able to come out positive ISO is a huge plus in this PVE.

#3 Rubberbanding: A So far it has been consistant and that is good. I have not been able to just jump up into the top 10 in the main and I have not dropped dramaticly overnight. You cannot just do a couple of clears play at the end and score really well.

#4 rewards: A This would be an A+ if the subs gave out alliance rewards, but that is just asking for a lot. Top 50 in each sup earns HP and Top 50 in the main gets 2 covers. Can't complain about that.

#5 length: B This is still a long event. I have cleared all the rewards from each sub and still had a lot of time before the end. 6-7 days for a PVE is just too long. The subs do a good job of breaking things up, but the length of PVE still needs to be shorter.

Overall: I would give this event a B+ potentially an A depending on the rubber banding of the main. The Sub's have not been OP and cheep, but they have had some difficulty to them. The rubberbanding feels right, and getting rewards in the subs really helps with progressions. D3 you have done a nice job with this event. The buffed characters are solid and with the right partners really show off how good they can be. The last character release was a Heroic and even though this is not a new event (that is comming very soon) it has been done very well. Thanks for giving us a good event for the new character D3.