Thick As Thieves: Nov 19th - Nov 25th

Options

Comments

• Vankysher
    Vankysher Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    2nd run through and I have only used one health pack. IM35, Cmags, Don only at 164 now. This is the only node I am using Hood for. Everything else has been Ddaken, Falcon, Psylock. They are just strike tile people to death!! I know in 3 days my life will be tinykitty with this event.

I must just suck at this game as I have used up all my health packs trying to finish Family Reunion VII. I rarely make it through a single clear without using all my healthpack.png which contributes to my inefficient playing style waiting for healthpack.png to regen up to 3.
  • Since folks can't read here's the last time I'll comment on it:
    I thought maybe that 3*Mag getting nerfed would make that node easier.

I thought wrong.

This is a contained statement. I said I was wrong, I don't see why its such a hot topic.

OP is OP.

Others are having trouble with the node. This isn't as ridic as the last Juggernaut Heroic, but folks are obviously still having trouble with it.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vankysher wrote:
    wymtime wrote:
    2nd run through and I have only used one health pack. IM35, Cmags, Don only at 164 now. This is the only node I am using Hood for. Everything else has been Ddaken, Falcon, Psylock. They are just strike tile people to death!! I know in 3 days my life will be tinykitty with this event.

I must just suck at this game as I have used up all my health packs trying to finish Family Reunion VII. I rarely make it through a single clear without using all my healthpack.png which contributes to my inefficient playing style waiting for healthpack.png to regen up to 3.

My Falcon is lower level and Psylock is 140. Daken is 166 beast who takes all the damage for me. They are all cover maxed correctly which helps.
  • wymtime wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    papa07 wrote:

Can someone update these times as they become available? With 26 hour subs, I intended to enter about the midpoint of Sub5 on Monday, but since Calvinball rules are in effect this time, I have no idea when the right time to get in will be. Appreciate all help. Thanks.

The subs are 36H not 26H like usual, at least based on a sample of one sub so far. It sure doesn't look like another sub is going to run concurrently since it's 8H left for the first sub and nothing else has popped up yet. Looking at the time it'd be impossible to squeeze 6 36H subs in the remaining time staggered by 24H, so either there will be less subs, or later subs will be shorter, or the later sub will be staggered closer together.

Also doesn't the main board open at the end?

Used to open after a certain total point threshold is hit globally, but I see no such progress bar this time around.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wymtime wrote:

Just finished my 2nd. Zero health packs used thus far, though I have alternated OBWs. Don and company are at 198 now.

Also, what a terrible, terrible bracket this is. SItting in 38th, surrounded my forumites, almost all different than the first screen shot I posted. Going to be a 5-day war for the top prizes.
  • Re: That cmags/im35/don node

For some reason, sometimes the Don starts pushing out his tiles, sometimes Cmags starts destroying me. If the Don keeps placing countdown tiles, I usually tend to do pretty well. Although frankly, at this point, I'm just sentry-bombing it because why the heck not.

Since IM35 has the highest blue power, it is random whether the AI saves up for IM35, and this decision is made independently. That is, suppose they're sitting at 15 blue AP, they can choose to use Magnetized Particles (10), or skip it and use Cook the Books (8), or none of the above. If possible, keep Magneto stunned some of the time will obviously eliminate any chance of him deciding to use Magnetized Particles and hopefully you get the far less devastating Cook the Books instead.

Likewise you have the same issue with yellow, as Don has a relatively weak yellow (generate AP, but they already have a boatload of it) compared to what the other two can do with yellow.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,532 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    I beat Magneto with Falcon, but it involved boosting Red/Yellow/Green/Black for a quick dose of AWolvie strike tiles and then a whole lot of Espionage cascades fueled by Inspiration. Wouldn't have worked with a bad board.

Nothing is impossible but Falcon really excels in a long drawn out match, but you're not going to outlast Magneto backed by Don. It's just the wrong kind of game for him to excel at. Whether Magneto is downed in the first 10 turn or so pretty much decides the whole fight.

That's it in a nutshell. With the Don feeding Magneto blue and yellow (and IM35 yellow too,) you have to down Magneto quickly or you'll be incapable of harming his team as he "Magnetized Projectiles" you to death. With a lucky cascade he one-shotted my 155 Psylocke with that...
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    GrimSkald wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    I beat Magneto with Falcon, but it involved boosting Red/Yellow/Green/Black for a quick dose of AWolvie strike tiles and then a whole lot of Espionage cascades fueled by Inspiration. Wouldn't have worked with a bad board.

Nothing is impossible but Falcon really excels in a long drawn out match, but you're not going to outlast Magneto backed by Don. It's just the wrong kind of game for him to excel at. Whether Magneto is downed in the first 10 turn or so pretty much decides the whole fight.

That's it in a nutshell. With the Don feeding Magneto blue and yellow (and IM35 yellow too,) you have to down Magneto quickly or you'll be incapable of harming his team as he "Magnetized Projectiles" you to death. With a lucky cascade he one-shotted my 155 Psylocke with that...
    Don't forget that Iron Man has the blue Ultra-Freon Beam power too. It isn't as likely to go off given the high cost, but it definitely happened to me last time I played the node.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It amazes me how much some people are willing to grind.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It amazes me how much some people are willing to grind.
    Hey with 5 days left I was in first place..... For s minute. Let me bask in my glory
  • Rusalka
    Rusalka Posts: 155
    Options
    I give up. Family Reunion VII at level 235 has wiped my entire roster, boost or no boost. I went in with fully boosted Sentry/Daken/Hood, and fired WR on the second turn. Magneto promptly one-shot Hood with his blue, matched away my Sacrifice tile, then put down his protect tiles on the next turn. I might as well have gone in with Bullseye/Bagman/Yelena for all the good it did me.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    GrimSkald wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    I thought maybe that 3*Mag getting nerfed would make that node easier.

I thought wrong.

Trouble is CMags was never OP as played by the AI. What made him OP was that you could place his blue protect tiles (and thereby create potentially near-infinite chains of crits,) and spam his red. The AI places the blue randomly and never casts the same power twice in a turn. The CMags nerf actually made him a better defensive character because his red packs more punch and his blue is fairly consistent...

And the goon is feeding yellow
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Rusalka wrote:
    I give up. Family Reunion VII at level 235 has wiped my entire roster, boost or no boost. I went in with fully boosted Sentry/Daken/Hood, and fired WR on the second turn. Magneto promptly one-shot Hood with his blue, matched away my Sacrifice tile, then put down his protect tiles on the next turn. I might as well have gone in with Bullseye/Bagman/Yelena for all the good it did me.

I just got creamed on that node as well. No mas for me.
  • Shadow
    Shadow Posts: 155
    Options
    optimiza wrote:
    Anyone have a 5 red Cap Marvel by chance??? icon_twisted.gif

Me. icon_lol.gif And people thought that my 5/3/5 wouldn't come in handy. With so many characters, building her for specialized duty was the way to go imo. I had to bring her to 166 for this event though. Running cap marvel, lcap, xf for that node. Node started out ok at level 203 but is now a bit ridiculous at level 245.
  • Shadow wrote:
    optimiza wrote:
    Anyone have a 5 red Cap Marvel by chance??? icon_twisted.gif

Me. icon_lol.gif And people thought that my 5/3/5 wouldn't come in handy. With so many characters, building her for specialized duty was the way to go imo. I had to bring her to 166 for this event though. Running cap marvel, lcap, xf for that node. Node started out ok at level 203 but is now a bit ridiculous at level 245.

although i havent stared this kittyshow of an event, i can echo the utility of a 5 red captain marvel. I built mine @ 553 from the jump bc i saw more value in being able to clear the board of all those annoying and sometimes ubet buffed protect tiles than the AP generation from her tellow passive

best of luck staying sane tbrough this event

marc
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Fun times, grinding everything to zero and praying to hold on to top 10 for dear life.

Thank god the subs should at least get a little easier, even if the main bracket is a bloodbath.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Second sub is open.
    Duration: 48 hours
  • Fun times, grinding everything to zero and praying to hold on to top 10 for dear life.

Thank god the subs should at least get a little easier, even if the main bracket is a bloodbath.

finished 11 in first sub, blarg!
  • Seems like we won't have any repeat on sub at this rate. I'm guessing the next sub is going to be 48H and we get 24H to wrap up the main bracket, and depending on whether they're repeatable or not it's either going to be a victory lap or a bloodbath in the last 24 hours.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So after I play the main which establishes my bracket, then play the first sub. Does it matter when I join the second sub? In theory wouldn't I be rubberbanded to my own main bracket? Or does it matter when I join the new sub?