Thick As Thieves: Nov 19th - Nov 25th

Options

Comments

• DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Alexraven wrote:
    I'm having alot of luck running Maxed AWolvie, Maxed OBW, and level 84 Cstorm againt 140ish Mags/IM/Don.

Targeting Mags first and prioritizing Blue/Green/Red in that order. Build up enough for windstorm and switch to IM before firing to stun. Go back and finish off Mags, then back to IM, and save Don for last.

Getting strike tiles out from Wolvie's green makes OBW do ridiculous damage...

Awesome. That worked. I didn't get off windstorm until near the end, but I still beat the node and it's been kicking my butt. Thank you!
  • NP, happy to help. I had tried the first time using Falcon, but since I only have one blue and one purple coer for him currently, he was pretty much dead weight. On another thread, people are suggesting Loki with at least 1 black cover and are having luck with that too.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    optimiza wrote:
    Anyone have a 5 red Cap Marvel by chance??? icon_twisted.gif

As a matter of fact I do! Good thought for when this nonsense starts to scale up.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    For im35, Cmags, Don I used Lcap, Patch, Hood. With everyone saying how brutal it was I boosted 3 RY and took out Cmags first. My ned was normal level 161 and I left with very little damage. Cmags does all the damage in this team. Take him out fast and the rest is fairly easy.
  • That node's difficulty is also very dependent on scaling. I have it at level 260, so Polarized Force will one shot The Hood and Magnetized Particles hits for 7K, so it requires a pretty different strategy compared to if they're only level 160 where you can actually survive a Magnetized Particles.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I"ve had most success boosting green/black and running strong TU"s I've had saved up. and running X-Force/Hood/Hulk. Hulk tanks TU's and red for me. He can at least absorb enough to trigger Anger to get me Green which helps me down Mags quickly. You can also try Human Torch with boosting, he won't last long but he can take C.Mags down fairly quickly between him and X-Force. Then do all you can to take iron man down.
  • I got a 2900 match 3 on the essential nodes. Pretty sure would've hit 3K after my final cascade (hit several yellow) but the opponent ran out of HP to verify. Payback time for all the Threaten abuses!
  • GrimSkald wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    GrimSkald wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    I thought maybe that 3*Mag getting nerfed would make that node easier.

I thought wrong.

Trouble is CMags was never OP as played by the AI. What made him OP was that you could place his blue protect tiles (and thereby create potentially near-infinite chains of crits,) and spam his red. The AI places the blue randomly and never casts the same power twice in a turn. The CMags nerf actually made him a better defensive character because his red packs more punch and his blue is fairly consistent...

I understand all of that.

An OP character is still OP even if underutilized by AI.

All I know is I'm not going to do a node where 3*Mag can output 3k+ dmg so easily

He's not really OP - what made him OP was the way he was used. Since they changed him, he can't be abused. What makes this node so damn tough is that you have a blue/yellow/black feeder and some very high level characters. It's actually kind of ridiculous. I wiped out on twice now.

An OP character is OP even if underutilized by AI.

Sentry is still OP as an AI.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    cMags/Im40/Don were 170ish when I joined. I went Xforce (173, optimal build) Lcap (134, 4/5/3) and OBW. OBW tanks blue with that lineup, so prioritzing that slows down their blue generation and fuels Cap's stun. Stun Don until Mags is dead, then stun IM40 so they stop moving the board. Easy peasy. (on paper, I'm sure I'll wipe on a few of these clears)

If you don't have a usable XForce, then Thor/LCap/OBW should work just as well, since Recon will be stealing a bunch of yellow too. Only thing imperative to any build is a stun to slow down Don, even if it's a MBW TU stun, it will help immensely.
  • Vankysher
    Vankysher Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    I beat Magneto with Falcon, but it involved boosting Red/Yellow/Green/Black for a quick dose of AWolvie strike tiles and then a whole lot of Espionage cascades fueled by Inspiration. Wouldn't have worked with a bad board.

Nothing is impossible but Falcon really excels in a long drawn out match, but you're not going to outlast Magneto backed by Don. It's just the wrong kind of game for him to excel at. Whether Magneto is downed in the first 10 turn or so pretty much decides the whole fight.

Found out the hard way myself.
    Multiple Coercive Fields and Magnetized Projectiles wiped my team that was successful the first time around.
    I have strong doubts that my under-covered LCap, single-cover X-Force will do anything to this node that scaled another 10 levels from the first time I cleared it to 100/101/101 icon_e_sad.gif
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    "An OP character is still OP even if underutilized by AI" is not an axiom. Pre-nerf Magneto did not get infinite turns when controlled by the AI, so removing his ability to get infinite turns does nothing to make fights against the AI easier.

(Hypothetical: an ability that destroys a chosen tile, dealing no damage unless that tile is in the top left corner, and if it is you instantly win the fight. That power would be an automatic win when used by a player, but since the AI targets abilities randomly its use of the power would fail 99% of the time, and thus not OP.)
  • mouser wrote:
    It's doable. Event is 156 hours long.

Hours / Sub
    0-36 Sub 1a
    24-60 Sub 2a
    48-84 Sub 3a
    72-108 Sub 1b
    96-132 Sub 2b
    120-156 Sub 3b

That would have all subs ending at the same time of the day though which D3 doesn't usually do with that many subs. So there would probably be a 12 hour shift in the start times between the 2nd and 3rd or 3rd and 4th. Could have the last sub end with 12 hours left and only leave the main bracket nodes for the end.

Can someone update these times as they become available? With 26 hour subs, I intended to enter about the midpoint of Sub5 on Monday, but since Calvinball rules are in effect this time, I have no idea when the right time to get in will be. Appreciate all help. Thanks.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Captain Marvel does really well against Mags/Don/IM40. She can spam red like crazy although 5 in red would be sweet this time, and Hypersonic Punch is nice. Or have her feed L.Cap
  • papa07 wrote:

Can someone update these times as they become available? With 26 hour subs, I intended to enter about the midpoint of Sub5 on Monday, but since Calvinball rules are in effect this time, I have no idea when the right time to get in will be. Appreciate all help. Thanks.

The subs are 36H not 26H like usual, at least based on a sample of one sub so far. It sure doesn't look like another sub is going to run concurrently since it's 8H left for the first sub and nothing else has popped up yet. Looking at the time it'd be impossible to squeeze 6 36H subs in the remaining time staggered by 24H, so either there will be less subs, or later subs will be shorter, or the later sub will be staggered closer together.
  • wymtime
    Options
    2nd run through and I have only used one health pack. IM35, Cmags, Don only at 164 now. This is the only node I am using Hood for. Everything else has been Ddaken, Falcon, Psylock. They are just strike tile people to death!! I know in 3 days my life will be tinykitty with this event.
  • Unknown
    edited November 2014
    Options
    JVReal wrote:
    Family Reunion VII sucks.

Don, CMags, IM35

Don feeds mags and IM who spam defense tiles before I'm halfway done with Don. My Falcon is only 0/1/1 and when I finally get his own defense tiles on the board, it's a 1 pt battle for AP, where Mags and IM are double dipping by being fed by Don and moving the board. Both spam more defense tiles, IM sets off all his attacks because he's got nothing better to do.

Feels unbalanced to me, what do you guys think? This is my first time playing Thick as Thieves. Recommended team for taking them down? I'm still a fairly new player.

I know I have to take Don first, then IM, then Mags, but I can't spam AP attacks as fast as they can.

I kill Don last. I don't care how much AP he can generate if no one is there to use it.

I kill Mags first, IM second, Don last. Works everytime with a basic 2** team for me with weak low scaled opponent lvls. If you can, Kill magneto before anyone on enemy team gets off special power. Once Magneto gets defenses up you're done son.
  • double post
  • wymtime
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    papa07 wrote:

The subs are 36H not 26H like usual, at least based on a sample of one sub so far. It sure doesn't look like another sub is going to run concurrently since it's 8H left for the first sub and nothing else has popped up yet. Looking at the time it'd be impossible to squeeze 6 36H subs in the remaining time staggered by 24H, so either there will be less subs, or later subs will be shorter, or the later sub will be staggered closer together.

Also doesn't the main board open at the end?
  • Re: That cmags/im35/don node

For some reason, sometimes the Don starts pushing out his tiles, sometimes Cmags starts destroying me. If the Don keeps placing countdown tiles, I usually tend to do pretty well. Although frankly, at this point, I'm just sentry-bombing it because why the heck not.
  • Vankysher
    Vankysher Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Alexraven wrote:
    I'm having alot of luck running Maxed AWolvie, Maxed OBW, and level 84 Cstorm againt 140ish Mags/IM/Don.

Targeting Mags first and prioritizing Blue/Green/Red in that order. Build up enough for windstorm and switch to IM before firing to stun. Go back and finish off Mags, then back to IM, and save Don for last.

Getting strike tiles out from Wolvie's green makes OBW do ridiculous damage...

Awesome. That worked. I didn't get off windstorm until near the end, but I still beat the node and it's been kicking my butt. Thank you!

I, on the other hand, was unsuccessful and wiped out with this team.
    Got close but when OBW went down early with cMags firing off Magnetized Projectiles - essentially one-shotting her at about full health - I knew it was probably a no go.
    Even with 2 Windstorms, I couldn't take down IM35 down fast enough and his Repulsor Beam & Ultra Freon Beam took out AWolv.
    With a bad board lacking any blue or green, match damage took out cStorm.

The only positive is that the node scaling dropped to 90/91/91.