*** Rocket and Groot (Most Wanted)***

Comments

• It goes more like this:

Retreat to 25% health
    Join a real match
    Match Yellow for free cascade at the begining of match.

Not that tedious.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lerysh wrote:
    It goes more like this:

Retreat to 25% health
    Join a real match

Not that tedious.

The steps you described are exactly what I said.

I agree it will be a free cascade, but to use it as free healing? I think it's tough to use it consistently
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    atomzed wrote:
    Lerysh wrote:
    It goes more like this:

Retreat to 25% health
    Join a real match

Not that tedious.

I agree it will be a free cascade, but to use it as free healing? I think it's tough to use it consistently
    How so? I heard it was only 7 tiles for a full heal at 5, which almost all boards should have
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2014
    Spoit wrote:
    atomzed wrote:
    Lerysh wrote:
    It goes more like this:

Retreat to 25% health
    Join a real match

Not that tedious.

How so? I heard it was only 7 tiles for a full heal at 5, which almost all boards should have

Really? Based on the stats given on OP, you will need more than 7 tiles.

HP = 10200
    25% HP = 2550

Required heal to reach 100% HP = 10200 - 2550 = 7650.
    Tiles per heal at max level = 834

No of tiles required for full heal = 7650/ 834 = 9.177 tiles.

So you will need 9 tiles, rather than the 7 tiles you mentioned. 9 tiles should definitely not be "a gurantee for a full heal".
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lerysh wrote:
    It really depends on who you are going to run him with. Their greenflag.png can be pretty good direct damage, especially if you save up 20 AP first. Destroy 18 tiles at whatever damage per tile, and then destroy 13 tiles. But if you are going to run them with, say, Thor, or Patch, or Gamorra (if her green is awesome) then you don't need 5 Green.
    Yeah, I'm getting some Doc Ock syndrome here: Green ain't bad, but it doesn't really seem to measure up against many other Green powers out there.
  • atomzed wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    atomzed wrote:
    Lerysh wrote:
    It goes more like this:

Retreat to 25% health
    Join a real match

Not that tedious.

Really? Based on the stats given on OP, you will need more than 7 tiles.

HP = 10200
    25% HP = 2550

Required heal to reach 100% HP = 10200 - 2550 = 7650.
    Tiles per heal at max level = 834

No of tiles required for full heal = 7650/ 834 = 9.177 tiles.

So you will need 9 tiles, rather than the 7 tiles you mentioned. 9 tiles should definitely not be "a gurantee for a full heal".

There is full heal, and then there is healed full enough. If you go from aprox 2000 health to aprox 8600 health, that's good enough. If you get below 2550 again you can heal again, because it's been rounds into the game at that point and the TUs are back. Hell that's off tank HP (8500). Plenty to start a fight with, plus free cascade AP possibly.

How my list differs from yours is you are prologue healing, I'm not. I just go into a fight with 25% health and take the free cascade and HP, so I'm not spending time retreating and fighting and trying to full heal that you are. I eliminated step 4, which is the tedious part.
  • Unknown
    edited November 2014
    I'm curious to find out if rocket & groot will be pvp viable. It would be encouraging if it pans out.

One thing I especially like are the character animations. The animations for I Am Groot, and the blue strike tiles power are pretty awesome. I laugh everytime I see rocket standing amongst that pile of heavy artillery. Those strike tiles are quite nasty.

My other fave animations are deadpools whales, blade's purple, spidey blue, storm green, cap marvel red (the blast sound effect is awesome on cap marvels red btw) and venom's devour (the artwork is nice).

Anyone else also sense the character power animations are getting better lately, as with rocket & groot?

I tried R&G, Hood and deadpool. It wasn't bad, but I might need max leveled chars to get a real sense. Any effective team combos discovered by anyone?

EDIT: I managed a decent sentry bomb with Rocket's strike tiles. Not too bad.
  • i think there are tones of possibilities for these 2 guys.
    since its true healing you can take him 5 on yellow. plus the board shaker you get if you match yellow. just perfect.
    most of you dont like his blue. but i def love it. sure you have to have some blue tiles on the board to convert them into your strike tiles.
    but you can place the CD tile and the blue strike tiles will appear random. not so close like beast´s.
    his green is ok, but there are better green abillities than theirs.
    so for me its 535 or 445.
  • So far, I don't find them very useful. In PvP they are tankers since they are at max. So, ok.

I don't expect a character to be a tanker.

So, that's another useless character.
  • My biggest complaint so far is his icon looks too close to Daken's. With 1 guy down, saw the enemy had a power ready, so matched a red and the wrong guy jumped to the front!
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    holy **** that blue isn't funny, strongest strike tile generation in the game at 1044 total and you can place the CD tile where you want, this has to be maxed, it would be silly not to. was on the fence about maxing yellow, but then I thought about how strong blue's strike tiles are and how much of a pain in the **** he would be if you don't burst him down and he's suddenly back up to like 8K health smacking you for 1k+ damage. green is kinda meh, feels like a last character standing move while you use something else until then.
  • 4 Blue is definitely a given. 2 turn CD vs 3 turn CD is just too good. I think 4 Yellow is also a given, considering how unstoppable my Grocket is with just 2 Yellow. He's impossible for the AI to kill unless they get very lucky, the AI is just too dumb. He's the perfect bullet sponge to save healthpack.png . Big attack coming? Grocket tanks it, and unless he dies he's totally fine (relatively).

I'm still working on standard partners for him, but right now I'm running BP/Thor/Grocket in the PvP, which is pretty good offense, amazing HP, and has literally no use for Grockets Green. On this team you want 5/3/5.

There are other teams out there, where his green can be a source of good damage. For example, Grocket, Deadpool, Black Panther. Or Grocket, Deadpool, IM40 (like the PvE would have us play atm).

At max level for 10 AP you get 13 tiles at 185 = 2405 damage plus 185 per 2 greentile.png over 10. 240 damge per AP. Not great. Hulk greenflag.png is the closest comparison power, does 1199 plus tile destruction damage of 8 + 1 per 2 greentile.png tiles, so at max covers they are destroying the same number of tiles. Grocket does SLIGHTLY more damage, with the edge expanding as you get more AP. I think no one would suggest that Thunderous Clap is a BAD green power, it just happens to be fueled by Anger.

CotS is 645 damage per AP, Berserker Rage is 330 damage per AP even if all the strike tiles (somehow) get destroyed the very next turn. Blammo! gets up to 330 damage per AP if you have 20 greentile.png, plus then you can cast it again. Note all these Blammo! numbers totally fail to take into account average cascade damage.

It all depends on who you will run him with. If he's your only green user, and because denying green to the enemy is usually better than denying blue, then 4/5/4 makes sense. Take the green, do damage with it, prevent the CotS going off on your head. If you plan to regularly run him with Thor/Patch/XForce/Gammora (if her green is awesome) then 5/3/5 begins to make sense.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    djsquillz wrote:
    unbemator wrote:
    With ppl starting to abuse the retreat prologue a nerf will come for RG. I d ont think the devs toughted bout that..

Bro...thats the understatment of the year. The Devs NEVER think about anything. They just push **** out quickly and then push out more **** quickly again...and then guess what they do after that?

i also totally agree that they will nerf this prologue retreat thing ASAP.

get it while the getting is good.

Eh, D3 doesn't care. They'll let people shell out money to build him up, nerf him later, and bring out another character to make you forget how much you are butthurt. I assumed months ago, that Colossus could change tanking, and how nerfs are essentially planned so as to keep you hungry for new characters.
  • Assuming you have him maxed then he'll probably be getting at least 2 colors but if you do the retreat 3 times you could be in a nasty surprise if there isn't an available yellow match but there is another match that puts him in front while you only have 100 HP because you retreated 3 times. He's quite hard to kill but he's also pretty slow and that seems about right for a character with that kind of durability.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    Assuming you have him maxed then he'll probably be getting at least 2 colors but if you do the retreat 3 times you could be in a nasty surprise if there isn't an available yellow match but there is another match that puts him in front while you only have 100 HP because you retreated 3 times. He's quite hard to kill but he's also pretty slow and that seems about right for a character with that kind of durability.
    I mean, what are the odds that you'll not have any yellow matches, and at the same time, not have any non-groot matches to stall for one coming up
  • High enough that I'd rather retreat twice on a less than full health Groot (closer to 25%-30% health) than retreat 3 times on a full health Groot and have 300 health.
  • Quebbster wrote:
    Lerysh wrote:
    It really depends on who you are going to run him with. Their greenflag.png can be pretty good direct damage, especially if you save up 20 AP first. Destroy 18 tiles at whatever damage per tile, and then destroy 13 tiles. But if you are going to run them with, say, Thor, or Patch, or Gamorra (if her green is awesome) then you don't need 5 Green.
    Yeah, I'm getting some Doc Ock syndrome here: Green ain't bad, but it doesn't really seem to measure up against many other Green powers out there.
    Yeah, I actually really like RnG green but unfortunately XForce, you know, exists
  • It's so funny to me that his blue is a straight up fixed version of Beast's blue.
  • Yea... Even if you left the Attack and Protect tile options in, Beast's Blue being placeable and the tiles spreading out instead of mashing together would go a long way to fixing that character.

Having used Rocket and Groot fairly extensively in this PvE (Boosted to level 210), I'm finding he's practically immortal on offense with even 2 Yellow covers. 3/5/5 is PROBABLY workable. On a decent 3* team where his is the featured green skill you would do alright. I'm personally going to go for 4/5/4 because I want to guarantee survivability. There are better X-Force partners, so I'm taking that out of the equation for PvP. 4/5/4 makes him an unstoppable offense tank who you could run for basically as long as you wanted to play.
  • Yeah he's like blade to me in the sense that he's good enough and fun enough to play that I want to have him maxed. I haven't fought a maxed one yet but it feels like if yellow fire off after a blue it's probably lights out, and green can do a LOT of damage.

Also It seems to me like the only big leap from 4 to 5 is on the blue skill, and that there's no clear cut best build for yellow and green. Though maxed yellow probably has the biggest chance for a "throw phone against wall" reaction since even if he's the only character left alive his abilities gel well enough that he's a definite threat by himself.