*** Rocket and Groot (Most Wanted)***

Comments

• eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Yeah it's interesting that his (their) yellow would be better if it was NOT true healing-- think about it, you get down to < 25% health in a match, get a yellow match and get a huge shield. Next game your <25%, but just match yellow get your huge shield again and cascades on a new board.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Depending on how his green levels, it may provide enough board shake up to make that yellow usable more than once per game. Now, the other question is if on a dry board Groot can't heal to over 25%, can he continue to match yellow for small boosts of healing?

While there is some overlap, they may pair well with Boy-Thor since yellow generation could help out in a pinch. He would also Tank yellow & green for Boy Thor, which we all know how fragile he is icon_lol.gif

I suppose you could also bring along Captain Merica, but 19AP to have a free match to heal Groot on demand doesn't sound like a feasible plan to rely on.
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    While there is some overlap, they may pair well with Boy-Thor since yellow generation could help out in a pinch. He would also Tank yellow & green for Boy Thor, which we all know how fragile he is icon_lol.gif
    I was thinking along similar line. If RG tanks yellow for LT, then that's the best scenario. RG eats all the damage while collecting yellow for Thunderstrike. Throw Blade in there for Shield SIM / PvE and that's a formidable rainbow lineup.
  • Unknown
    edited November 2014
    Remember when IceIX used to give us the stats for these characters?

I'm beginning to think we should start putting him on milk cartons. Apparently, lots of people that prefer oatmeal also like milk any way.

Edit - added oatmeal
  • Pwuz_ wrote:
    Depending on how his green levels, it may provide enough board shake up to make that yellow usable more than once per game. Now, the other question is if on a dry board Groot can't heal to over 25%, can he continue to match yellow for small boosts of healing?

I suppose you could also bring along Captain Merica, but 19AP to have a free match to heal Groot on demand doesn't sound like a feasible plan to rely on.

Huh. Nice outside the box thinking there.

Like most people, but especially R&G, his bestest buddy will be Hood. Destroy all TU and suddenly DU is in overdrive. Also active yellow and black, so you add any green user you want and have pretty good color coverage.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hope they start making TU's worth something over what it is now. Like a boost/skill hybrid. Example

Skill

10 TU: you gain +2 AP of Green and Black

That way at least TU holds some weight, as is now it's just a tile you don't attempt to match and if you happen to fall into enough to use a TU then cool, if not, well you didn't plan on it anyway.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pwuz_ wrote:

The problem is if you want to use his yellow, you need to get him to 25% health in the first place. This either seems incredibly annoying since you need to force him to take damage (since most battles is almost never gonna bring him down to 25% unless you're probably doing something wrong), or just isn't going to happen in practice. This might be a character for the guys that actually try to optimize teamups, because I'm far too lazy to deliberately spend time in each match, meticulously counting damage and putting groot in front so I can get yellow triggers for the next match.
  • He looks like a good character for PvE where you wouldn't need any help getting to low health against level 250+ enemies.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    He looks like a good character for PvE where you wouldn't need any help getting to low health against level 250+ enemies.

not to mention you could open the game with a massive cascade assuming you start RG below 25% and there is a decent amount of TU on the board.
  • That's why I'm wondering if it's actually true-healing - if R&G are below 25% after a battle, couldn't you just go hit up the prologue and get them healed?
  • NorthernPolarity
    That's why I'm wondering if it's actually true-healing - if R&G are below 25% after a battle, couldn't you just go hit up the prologue and get them healed?

Yeah, but you have to get them below 25% in the first place.
  • That's why I'm wondering if it's actually true-healing - if R&G are below 25% after a battle, couldn't you just go hit up the prologue and get them healed?

Yeah, but you have to get them below 25% in the first place.

Shouldn't be that hard - team them with Sentry or Hulk.

I'm just saying - I'd be surprised if this is true healing. Unless the power doesn't heal them anywhere near maximum.
  • Sandmaker
    Sandmaker Posts: 208 Tile Toppler

I'm just saying - I'd be surprised if this is true healing. Unless the power doesn't heal them anywhere near maximum.

It would be super broken if it wasn't true healing... You would just get him to 25% health, and then every fight afterwards you would make a yellow match first move and start the round off with a 100% heal + cascade.
  • Sandmaker wrote:

It would be super broken if it wasn't true healing... You would just get him to 25% health, and then every fight afterwards you would make a yellow match first move and start the round off with a 100% heal + cascade.
    Can't you just retreat a couple times and get to 25% health anyway? Like using 2 other guys you're not running?
  • Pwuz_
    ark123 wrote:
    Sandmaker wrote:

Can't you just retreat a couple times and get to 25% health anyway? Like using 2 other guys you're not running?

That is an interesting theory. Though if the board is dry of TU's, it may not be as effective as you may hope. Certainly a risk if you can't get to full health.
  • Pwuz_ wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    Sandmaker wrote:

That is an interesting theory. Though if the board is dry of TU's, it may not be as effective as you may hope. Certainly a risk if you can't get to full health.

That's true enough, but if the board is indeed full of TU tiles, this could make for some pretty obscene turn 2s
  • Pwuz_
    ark123 wrote:
    That's true enough, but if the board is indeed full of TU tiles, this could make for some pretty obscene turn 2s

Depending on how insane that 1st turn cascade, it could be a pretty obscene turn 1! icon_lol.gif
    A cascade setting off a match 5, other random matches, leading to a lot of AP gain. You could potentially be able to pull of some pretty big moves before your opponent even gets one turn...

Very risky, but it could be a big reward. As long as R&G are under leveled, it may not be that risky though if you have someone tanking all their colors.
  • don't forget how they'll play out on defense. the computer is going to prioritize getting enough colors for whatever ability it's trying to fire off. so grocket could be sitting at 25% and instead of a yellow match it'd make a TU match just because that's how the ai roles. in many situations this could spell win or lose, especially if you're beat up enough to the point that grocket is at 25% or lower. ecountdown.png
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    So is their TU ability going to be extra powerful, considering that it's actually a team-up's team-up? icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • NorthernPolarity
    don't forget how they'll play out on defense. the computer is going to prioritize getting enough colors for whatever ability it's trying to fire off. so grocket could be sitting at 25% and instead of a yellow match it'd make a TU match just because that's how the ai roles. in many situations this could spell win or lose, especially if you're beat up enough to the point that grocket is at 25% or lower. ecountdown.png

Defense is irrelevant for Rocket and Groot: the enemy player will be smart enough to burst Groot down from above 25% to 0.