*** Rocket and Groot (Most Wanted)***

Comments

• 5/3/5 is better. Once the blue countdown is down, you do an average of 500-1k dmg per turn. I don't see anything can live long enough to survive that, though on the PVP defending side, it might not be a wise choice.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am thinking about his yellow and I see a lot of people wanting to put 5 into that skill because it will usually get him back to full health. On the other hand, from a utility standpoint, wouldnt it be preferrable to have his yellow at 3 covers instead?

My reasoning is, you will get more use of the board shake-up from his yellow if you don't get him back to full health with every use of that skill. He loses on sustain but with 10 TU's tiles on the board he will heal back to around 6000 health. Get him to low health again (and quicker than if we he went back to full health), bam, you can use his yellow again to shake things up.

Is it really that important that he can get back to full health? Considering his max HP of 10,200, even at half health he's still hard to down.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    sinnerjfl wrote:
    I am thinking about his yellow and I see a lot of people wanting to put 5 into that skill because it will usually get him back to full health. On the other hand, from a utility standpoint, wouldnt it be preferrable to have his yellow at 3 covers instead?

My reasoning is, you will get more use of the board shake-up from his yellow if you don't get him back to full health with every use of that skill. He loses on sustain but with 10 TU's tiles on the board he will heal back to around 6000 health. Get him to low health again (and quicker than if we he went back to full health), bam, you can use his yellow again to shake things up.

Is it really that important that he can get back to full health? Considering his max HP of 10,200, even at half health he's still hard to down.

Yes, it is that important that he can get back to full health. I thought the same way you did, then I started playing him in PvE at 4 yellow covers. The thing about Groot is that the whole point why you bring him is for his true healing and so he can tank stuff. Here's a typical scenario: Groot hits below 25% HP through random match damage and abilities, you get unlucky and get a heal on 7 tiles. With 3 yellow, he's back up to 5200 HP. With 5 yellow, he's back up to 8k HP. Now in any non trivial PvE node, you can expect Ares / Juggs / Venom to nuke you for roughly at least ~3-5k health. 3 yellow -> 1 hit and you're down to 1k health or close to dead and need another heal. 5 yellow -> you're down to 5k health, and can still tank a ton of hits. I've had plenty of scenarios where I heal to full, a couple of turns later Grocket tanks a ton of damage and needs a heal, but theres only like 5 tiles on board. 5 yellow, this isn't a problem and you're given enough HP to survive until the board refreshes with more yellow. 3 yellow, you're kinda screwed.

After playing with him 5/3/5 is absolutely a no brainer: green is just so much worse than blue or yellow that it's worth throwing it in the gutter to maximize Groot's two good abilities.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Now in any non trivial PvE node, you can expect Ares / Juggs / Venom to nuke you for roughly at least ~3-5k health.
    I agree with what you laid out here, but I don't see Groot being the option you'd want against this sort of node. Aside from Juggs wiping out any strike tiles you're lucky enough to get out, none of the regen characters heal fast enough to keep up with the damage these overbuffed characters deal out, especially if there's a goon feeder. Seems like you need stuns and nukes more than regen.
    I was expecting to go to 5 yellow at the conclusion of his PvP, but while playing it, I found that I was hardly ever needing his yellow. Same thing when using him with Patch and Daken against mid-tier Sim opponents. I held on to those covers for days, and finally decided that the way I was using him, having 5 in yellow didn't seem like it would make any difference.
  • Wobby
    Wobby Posts: 286 Mover and Shaker
    Switched to 5/3/5 before the end of the Patch pvp, and it made a huge difference.
    He was a great shield after a Berserker Rage was fired, and heals all the way back up plus triggers major cascade ...

I won't miss the green at 4 covers one bit. I rarely use anything but X-Force, maybe the occasional Call the Storm.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    sinnerjfl wrote:

Yes, it is that important that he can get back to full health. I thought the same way you did, then I started playing him in PvE at 4 yellow covers. The thing about Groot is that the whole point why you bring him is for his true healing and so he can tank stuff. Here's a typical scenario: Groot hits below 25% HP through random match damage and abilities, you get unlucky and get a heal on 7 tiles. With 3 yellow, he's back up to 5200 HP. With 5 yellow, he's back up to 8k HP. Now in any non trivial PvE node, you can expect Ares / Juggs / Venom to nuke you for roughly at least ~3-5k health. 3 yellow -> 1 hit and you're down to 1k health or close to dead and need another heal. 5 yellow -> you're down to 5k health, and can still tank a ton of hits. I've had plenty of scenarios where I heal to full, a couple of turns later Grocket tanks a ton of damage and needs a heal, but theres only like 5 tiles on board. 5 yellow, this isn't a problem and you're given enough HP to survive until the board refreshes with more yellow. 3 yellow, you're kinda screwed.

After playing with him 5/3/5 is absolutely a no brainer: green is just so much worse than blue or yellow that it's worth throwing it in the gutter to maximize Groot's two good abilities.

This and then some. While green isn't a bad ability, it's definitely the weakest of the 3. You could probably get away with a 5/4/4 Grocket, but yellow is where he is a beast. Having my Grocket stuck at 3/3/5 for a bit, he was definetely useable, but I couldn't get him to heal when I wanted, then I just got 2 yellow due to Deadpool Daily and wow. The benefits of Grocket....

Tanks yellow for X-Force and 4hor.
    Tanks yellow and green for 3* Thor, Sentry

Having Grocket tank for 3*Thor though is absolutely boss. You can freely collect yellow and green, while also grabbing blue, which makes CoTS very deadly. These 2 are a very nice pairing.
  • Someone noticed that Deadpool's Daily automatic rewards have all been the first power for each character, so far. If that trend holds up, R&G yellow should be queued up sometime this weekend! (-I have been seeking R&G yellow since their introduction. and it has alluded me at every opportunity).
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Someone noticed that Deadpool's Daily automatic rewards have all been the first power for each character, so far. If that trend holds up, R&G yellow should be queued up sometime this weekend! (-I have been seeking R&G yellow since their introduction. and it has alluded me at every opportunity).
    Definitely looking forward to it since my Grocket is 4/4/4 at the moment. I'll be happy for any color, but yellow or blue would be best.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    5 yellow also lets you take him into a battle right after he revives and have a good chance getting him to 70%+ life and causing a massive cascade.
  • Green hits harder than it looks, but given X Force rules green and that great green powers are dime a dozen, you can probably afford to skimp out on an easily covered color for 5/3/5 instead. I find that for PvP nothing hits hard enough for the heal to matter. The only case it'd matter is if you let X Force do 2 X Forces in a row and you're trying to regen more than 5K between his X Forces, and you really should never let something like this happen. Things weaker than this can't punch through the level 3 heal, and things that stronger than that will probably kill someone outright. Now, for PvE, your enemy most definitely can punch through level 3 heal on a normal scenario so here the extra health definitely matters, especially against goons that still do 1K match 4s.
  • simonsez
    Phantron wrote:
    great green powers are dime a dozen
    That's how it seems, but in the current PvE, with Wolverines locked out, and GT locking out LT, I'm having a hard time finding an exciting green to pair with her.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    That's how it seems, but in the current PvE, with Wolverines locked out, and GT locking out LT, I'm having a hard time finding an exciting green to pair with her.

I'd take Punisher over Groot because he brings a black as well as green. Torch I'd be on the fence with
  • simonsez
    dkffiv wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

I'd take Punisher over Groot because he brings a black as well as green. Torch I'd be on the fence with
    Yeah, I've gone with Pun too, but like I said, not very exciting. Problem with Torch is that his black drains blue, which you're not going to want to do to with GT
  • simonsez wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

Yeah, I've gone with Pun too, but like I said, not very exciting. Problem with Torch is that his black drains blue, which you're not going to want to do to with GT
    I honestly didn't even know that. icon_redface.gif
  • Phantron wrote:
    Green hits harder than it looks, but given X Force rules green and that great green powers are dime a dozen, you can probably afford to skimp out on an easily covered color for 5/3/5 instead. I find that for PvP nothing hits hard enough for the heal to matter. The only case it'd matter is if you let X Force do 2 X Forces in a row and you're trying to regen more than 5K between his X Forces, and you really should never let something like this happen. Things weaker than this can't punch through the level 3 heal, and things that stronger than that will probably kill someone outright. Now, for PvE, your enemy most definitely can punch through level 3 heal on a normal scenario so here the extra health definitely matters, especially against goons that still do 1K match 4s.

Grocket patch is a great climbing team for pvp. It's the only team that let's you get out an early berserker Rage and not regret it.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    Green hits harder than it looks, but given X Force rules green and that great green powers are dime a dozen, you can probably afford to skimp out on an easily covered color for 5/3/5 instead. I find that for PvP nothing hits hard enough for the heal to matter. The only case it'd matter is if you let X Force do 2 X Forces in a row and you're trying to regen more than 5K between his X Forces, and you really should never let something like this happen. Things weaker than this can't punch through the level 3 heal, and things that stronger than that will probably kill someone outright. Now, for PvE, your enemy most definitely can punch through level 3 heal on a normal scenario so here the extra health definitely matters, especially against goons that still do 1K match 4s.

Agreed, if I was specing him for PvP I would go 3/5/5 as you want full offense, but as you said there's a lot of threat in PvE where the 5 yellow matters more, and Grocket doesn't have the offensive firepower of some other top tiers to warrant high level PvP play.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    I have to disagree with the status quo on this, except if you are using your R&G regularly for PVE. I find myself occasionally looking for a decent green to replace X-Force when Wolverine is locked out, and there are few options. If you drop R&Gs green to 3 it is completely unusable, since from 3 to 5 it receives over 5 times the damage or more depending on your green according to the data given (the data seems confusing, as base and maxed are the same). As others have said, it can hit enemy special tiles while sparing your own, creating that much more utility.

His yellow on the other hand is completely circumstantial, and you would only need it if you are getting unlucky in PVE. This of course is subjective depending on the players skill, if you find yourself dying often to henchmen, maybe you should use R&G as a tank. Seasoned MPQ players can eliminate most countdown tiles, which is why I say unlucky.

I think a diverse roster should max his blue and green to cover colors needed when top tier colors are taken, as R&Gs green is pretty good at 5, and he covers blue to boot. I still think his yellow heals an amazing chunk of life at 3 for free regardless, and the utility from destroying all TUs on the board is extremely useful, so having him low hp often can be more useful than you being unlucky in PVE now and then.
  • Disagreed. What kind of scaling do you have that facing Gorgon allows you to keep Grocket at 3 yellow?

PS: on my preferred team for essential nodes in the current event, Cyclops/Grocket/Falcon, Grocket is predictably the only green user. Green is nothing spectacular, but it gets much better with strike tiles, and having it destroy a smaller area helps protect friendly strike tiles.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    His green might not do as much damage as X-Force's but like it was said before, it doesn't remove friendly special tiles which is a huge boon. Add in strike tiles and board shuffle, it becomes quite powerful. At level 4, it has the chance to remove CD tiles which makes it even better.

I'd rather have the chance of removing the CD tiles than just him tanking damage when you can actually avoid it.
  • locked wrote:
    Disagreed. What kind of scaling do you have that facing Gorgon allows you to keep Grocket at 3 yellow?

PS: on my preferred team for essential nodes in the current event, Cyclops/Grocket/Falcon, Grocket is predictably the only green user. Green is nothing spectacular, but it gets much better with strike tiles, and having it destroy a smaller area helps protect friendly strike tiles.

This is pretty much not true. Since BLAMMO does not destroy friendly strike (or charge btw) tiles unless they are in the center blast, the blue strike.png get shuffled down towards the bottom where they are harder to match. It helps protect in the small way of removing 4 possible tiles where they would be destroyed, but that's 4 in 64, only a 1 in 16 chance of actually being helpful.

If you have tons and tons of strike tiles (Daken, Blade) in a color using BLAMMO helps cascade because none of those get destroyed and then start to chain. If you have tons and tons of charged tiles the same thing is true. TGT/Grocket are a pretty decent pair, and XF being locked out of 80% of Enemy of the State (not to mention all the Wolverine Nodes in Prodigal Sun and Deadpool) is enough reason for me to have 5 green.

The recent DDQ Rocket yellowflag.png let me finally get 4/5/4 for his build and I don't regret it for a second. He does everything I want him to do in PvE and I don't miss that 4th strike tile. Also 4/5/4 conforms to my new building strategy of "What if XF gets killed". In a Grocket PvP I'd rather have more green damage than blue damage.