Nefarious Foes - Matchmaking Test - Discussion

Options

Comments

• GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I hate to be "that guy", but I'm failing to see what the issue with MMR was in the first place. I found that the game was appropriately difficult at appropriate stages of points progression for my roster and win/loss record. That said, I don't tank, my roster is fairly robust, and I have a strategy that works for me most of the time.

That said, maybe tanking is the problem. Maybe it's the players that tank regularly that are throwing it off for everyone else. Maybe the only tweak we need is a slight adjustment to how losses impact your MMR. I think it's worth investigating.

My other suggestion is to just flat out tell us how MMR works now. Give us the math used and let us come up with something better. I'm sure we have at least a few big-brain math geeks that could come up with an optimal formula.

The issue (based on the Devs comments) is that there were early pockets where early-mid rosters were no longer able to see their own level any more, the '166 wall.'

My hypothesis is that they tuned something such that you were considerably more likely to see rosters in your own range, with the thought being this would help 1-2* players hitting a wall at 600 to find other 1-2* opponents at that approximate score level (500-700).

This then tuned all the heavy hitters to find only their equivalent (3x332) and only players in their score range, which is why all the matches were brutal matches worth 15-24 pts tops from the word go.

The intent was good, but the execution was brutal.

and +1000 to seeing the MMR algorithm.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My first node in Identity Theft was 60 Mystique, 20 Iron Man, 11 Juggernaut (or 11 IM35 20 Jugg?)

Glory glory hallelujah!
    Good for you.
    Mine is Gipsy Danger at 0 Points.
  • noobprime
    Options
    FYI all, looks like a stealth tweak to the matchmaking again.
    Refresh your nodes, lower teams now.
  • Demiurge_Will
    Demiurge_Will Posts: 346 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    is reset of mmr going to happen before or after start of mystique pvp?

Matchmaking is currently running exactly the way it was before Nefarious Foes started, in all events.
  • is reset of mmr going to happen before or after start of mystique pvp?

Matchmaking is currently running exactly the way it was before Nefarious Foes started, in all events.

Apparently not, I'm facing 2* teams worth 2-3 points (I'm over 1100), even if I skip. Something is not working properly.

With all due respect, you better be kidding. I am genuinely peeved this time. After me and others clawed our way up in this PvP the past 2 days, you are going give everyone else a free ride for the last 10 hours?

Im lost for words.
  • noobprime
    Options
    unhelpful-high-school-teacher-mistake.jpg
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Freaking 5am finish AGAIN! so not everybody.

Fed up of skipping max Sentry, LDaken, Hood,X-Force 8 times to find something more manageable. Only to then get hit 5 times by max Sentry, LDaken, et-al and drop 100 points.

This experiment needs to be filed under Fission Mailed.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options

With all due respect, you better be kidding. I am genuinely peeved this time. After me and others clawed our way up in this PvP the past 2 days, you are going give everyone else a free ride for the last 10 hours?

Im lost for words.

Yeah, I thought NF was going to finish out with this test, and they were going to go back to regular just for Season 8 stuff.
    So now all the people that join late as they usually do are going to get an easier ride?!

Hahaha! That was a joke right? Seriously you are not saying someone that joins now, gets the normal MMR system and as they played in the event, the "sorry you had to experience this test" token? I thought that 250 ISO was supposed to be payment for this pain and suffering caused to those willing to test it out.

Atleast, if they complain I guess we'll know if it was actually the event or the MMR that made it so painful in the early stages...

Edit: Just to be clear, the above is just in good fun. I dont' care if people have it easier now, as I knew what I was getting into when I started earlier than usual. I made a choice, to test the changes, there was no one forcing me to do so.
  • I'm definitely seeing lower enemies before - about what I would have expected before all this.

I think. The buff makes it kind of hard to tell.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options

I thought there couldnt have been a worse way to muck with MMR than was done during the initial 3 hours FUBAR. So let me get this straight: you managed to TOP that by giving late joiners a easier climb? S...l...o...w......c...l...a...p. And I get a Moonstone for my trouble? Bravo, bravo.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

So I spent money on shields why?
  • Unknown
    edited November 2014
    Options
    arktos1971 wrote:

Apparently not, I'm facing 2* teams worth 2-3 points (I'm over 1100), even if I skip. Something is not working properly.

Your not the only one I am seeing exactly the same thing in Nefarious Foes after I crossed the 1K line. Makes finding high points targets to get to the Doctor Octopus cover a pain.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    Sumilea wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:

Your not the only one I am seeing exactly the same thing in Nefarious Foes after I crossed the 1K line.

Probably because MMR was reset, such that you see a MUCH broader set of opponents, most of whom are way lower than you.
  • wymtime wrote:

So I spent money on shields why?

This event was a beta test - so to speak

I doubt they'll refund us hp we wasted trudging through max sentry daken hood despite the fact that people starting now have the normal working system.

Perhaps they could refund those shields but if not, it's not that big of a loss. - most likely you're talking about 1 cover

Would e good PR move though . . . *wink**wink*
  • The MMR system has always handed out random opponents when it cannot find one that's within whatever is defined as reasonable. With the greatly depressed score overall (so much fewer high score guys) and that whoever is highly scored surely is aware that their score is a lot more valuable compared to past and thus even more likely to be shielded it's not surprising to see the system unable to give you any meaningful high PvP rating opponent.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I couldn't care less if late joiners have an easier climb. I'm just happy to have a playable PvP again. I'm not going to get back any of the ISO I wasted having to max boost everything, so given the choice between completely undoing that nonsense, or having to deal with it for another 8 hours, there's no way in hell I wouldn't choose the former.
  • I didn't care to lead of my first match of having to Sentry Bomb Slobofix, but had to handle it. Then my next match was fairly easy teams up to about 400 points. Then the nasty wall hit. From 400 to 500 points I was sentry bombing almost every match. I usually dont do that until I hit 900 and start shield hopping. I also have major problems with the AIs brilliant ability to cascade an atrocious amount to get all thier power moves in one shot. So I managed to make it over 1100 but getting there was a painful task. I know even these high scoring guys spent a pretty Penny on shields. So honestly its not the greatest, but at least us Elite scorers have to hash it out with each other and not the junior people with developing rosters. Im on the fence about the new system.
  • I hate to be "that guy", but I'm failing to see what the issue with MMR was in the first place. I found that the game was appropriately difficult at appropriate stages of points progression for my roster and win/loss record. That said, I don't tank, my roster is fairly robust, and I have a strategy that works for me most of the time.
    When I joined event after first tweak, I was hitting enemies slightly weaker than me for first 200 points. After that, up to 600, I was slugging through same level teams (maxed Ares/Daken/2* x). During climb, I was hit from time to time, but I also had fair chunk of defensive wins. I go for break, meanwhile mmr is getting back to usual and I'm getting hit down to <500. Do you know what I'm seeing now? Junk teams. 3 cover Mystique, Hawkeye, Wolv. <100lvl Ares/Daken. Non maxed 2* without boosted chars. So I'm obliterating them one by one, and after some time they are replaced by 166 + boost wall. If I skip enough times, I may find a team between 500-600 points that is same strength like me, something I was fighting whole time before. But more often than not just Sentry, Hood and co.

That's the problem with mmr. Every single person who is transitioning in the bracket is cramped in 500-600 slot. This space is so tiny people are constantly pushing each other out of it. If you cannot play during last hour, you will get throwned out of top100 placement, usually down to 450 (this is working as intended according to few people, after all there is nothing wrong in requiring 3* to score any 3*). New mmr, broken or not, have been given me opponents on my level. Old mmr is giving me oppoents that are never in my league, either pushovers, or undefeatable for me.