Nefarious Foes - Matchmaking Test - Discussion

Options

Comments

• You might get better scale out of trying again with a loki event or something similar.... Just saying icon_e_wink.gif
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]**UPDATE: (11/14/14)

A quick addition to let everyone know that Beta testing will be ending shortly with the close of the Nefarious Foes Versus Event. Thanks very much for participating and for providing your valuable feedback. We got some great info that will help us moving forward. The current plan for now is that Season VIII matchmaking will be the same as Season VII.

is reset of mmr going to happen before or after start of mystique pvp?
  • quadiak
    quadiak Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I vote against this MMR change. please revert back or continue tweaking until the game is playable once again.
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    Options
    1911901_860314193987151_5138230794917072289_n.jpg?oh=0eababf1aaeab33808ccb1f0ece8a60b&oe=54EBD26F&__gda__=1428078630_cf5b1712273052bbfc5921ae0b48f01d
    Jesus.. The nightmare is about to end..
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    Options
    There was an event some time ago where something went awry (not very specific I know) during the event, but what made this glitch different was that, as a make-good for whatever error had gone wrong the prize award bands were expanded by 50%...

So the top-10 prizes were awarded to the top-15, top-50 prizes went to top-75 and so on down the line. (I'm not the only one who remembers this, right?)

Instead of, or in addition to (always anchor high in a negotiation, right), giving a 'token' in the next event which has a chance of Mystique, how about widening the prize bands a little in Foes?
  • LoreNYC wrote:
    Another comparison to this MMR issue might be the food chain.

Removing the plants which kills the rodents which then kills the predators then the top of the food chain has nothing left to eat but themselves and we end up in the Walking Dead!!

We actually detailed the PvP food chain in Django chat about a week ago. Almost spent effort doing it. If look it up and post it here, but that also might require effort on my part. I do remember seed teams were plankton... IIRC.
  • There was an event some time ago where something went awry (not very specific I know) during the event, but what made this glitch different was that, as a make-good for whatever error had gone wrong the prize award bands were expanded by 50%...

So the top-10 prizes were awarded to the top-15, top-50 prizes went to top-75 and so on down the line. (I'm not the only one who remembers this, right?)

Instead of, or in addition to (always anchor high in a negotiation, right), giving a 'token' in the next event which has a chance of Mystique, how about widening the prize bands a little in Foes?

You sir/ma'am are a genius. I hope you get 100+ up votes.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    There was an event some time ago where something went awry (not very specific I know) during the event, but what made this glitch different was that, as a make-good for whatever error had gone wrong the prize award bands were expanded by 50%...

That was Oscorp Heroic for lazy Daken covers. The point values were cut short early in the event, screwing later joiners.
  • Nivrax wrote:
    Well, it was nice for once to actually compete. Back to scoring top200 and getting tokens that can't even contain needed characters.

Heh, yeah. I'm sitting in top 25 and have been since the beginning. Don't know if I'm going to be able to hold my place as I can't afford an 8 hour shield and the end time for me is 6 am, but what can you do?

Might be nice to place higher than top 100 at best, but dear god it's been a slog to get here. I don't think I've faced a single match in the entire thing that hasn't had max (or near enough) Daken and Ares. Takes soooo long to win and every match needs at least one health pack.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    i guess we don't get any seed team in mystique pvp since the reset was after pvp started
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There was an event some time ago where something went awry (not very specific I know) during the event
    To anyone wondering, they nerfed the point values of the pve nodes after a lot of people had already started, so the early starters had a huge head start that was extra difficult to catch up to
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    Nivrax wrote:
    Well, it was nice for once to actually compete. Back to scoring top200 and getting tokens that can't even contain needed characters.

The thing is you probably should NOT be competing. In this event those who "compete" best are either the P2W players, or those without a good roster. If that remains the case, the game will die. There needs to be a balance of progression as you move up in points and the leader board. Linking the progression to one, but not the other, wont work.
  • cmj6432
    Options
    Yeah just crazy in my bracket, 1st has 1757 and second has 1612 both xmen. 716 gives me 9th. I am facing all sentry/hood/daken team. Defense team seems to get a lot more AP than i Do..Anyone see this? After getting pass 700 I can see teams points worth 30-35 before 700, I have points between 20-27. This is just crazy. I have max sentry/daken/hood team as well. Without boosts, I am winning 2 out of three. With boost winning 4 out of 5.

Season just started so lets see what happens.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My first node in Identity Theft was 60 Mystique, 20 Iron Man, 11 Juggernaut (or 11 IM35 20 Jugg?)

Glory glory hallelujah!
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]
    One of the big problems we're trying to eliminate with these changes: at times under the old matchmaking system, low-level players (some with their best characters as low as level 40) could get into a situation where they were being matchmade mostly against high-level 3* teams (we'd expect that to happen if they had climbed to the top of the rankings, but this was happening before that point). So we're particularly interested to hear if you're seeing opponents that are much higher level than your best team (taking the Event buff into account). We're also trying to smooth out the difficulty curve, so that as you advance up the leaderboard, the difficulty of your opponents increases more evenly than before.

In re-reading this quote, the goal of this change seems to be to knock down the 166 wall for players. That's an excellent goal.

If that's the case, then the change should've been indistinguishable for high-level players. They saw the wall just like everyone else, they could handle it. Now, seemingly every high level player is explaining that they're seeing the wall from the word go. That's a failure to achieve the goal, regardless of any improvement that lower players may have achieved.

Collect the data for the rest of N. Foes, but please don't let this spill into Season VIII. You'll see participation plummet, and that affects everyone.

Completely agree. I had climbed back up into the 600 point range and got to 6th in my bracket and everything was 20-25 points and maxed out Sentry, Hood Teams. I since have been hit and dropped to 11th. I know have some matches worth 28-30 points that are not maxed teams. For me it looks like top 10 does play a part in getting maxed teams. I do have a Maxed Sentry Daken with Hood close to maxed level so my wall hits when I am in top 10. This new MMR still needs some major tweeking before being final. I would also say becuase this MMR is making scores so low that scores are probably really clumped together. This will cause 2* and transition teams to hit the 166 wall earlier probably around 300-400 points as it was 600 before becuase big teams were scoring around 800-900 points at that time. The wall has gone backwards. In this MMR format I would really look at the difficulty curve as players move up the leaderboard. I am thinking that is a major factor in the 166 wall.
    Hard to tell, when you've been seeing those exact same maxed sentry/hood/laken teams since 0
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    <SNIP>
    Hard to tell, when you've been seeing those exact same maxed sentry/hood/laken teams since 0

Seriously. I started off, got the 3x 332 wall. Then they tweaked things and I found a few teams (worth **** points) that were non-maxed 1*s, then straight back into 3x 332s.

How they have any legitimate data is beyond me.
  • I concur with the fact that D3 is really showing themselves to be unfair in player treatment and INCREASINGLY miserly and tight-fisted with general gameplay and anything beneficial to players. After upsetting the vast majority of MPQ community without considering us in their planning evidently, they seriously think its acceptable to give us a highly probable worthless token? It isn't rocket science we are being profited off of nicely so how about doing the right thing starting today to instill a little faith in D3? Yeah, we know its a business obviously but we shouldn't collectively feel like the developers/owners are ONLY thinking about any and everyway to make it harder and we can only get anywhere by annoying gameplay or ridiculous expenses. My whole alliance chat and several others I am participating in constantly have accurate points about our unfair treatment past and present. Would it really break the piggy bank to give a few rare stim packs everyone could use to further their INVESTMENT in the game? Get some cool points back with your fan base D3 shot callers cuz its ugly out here and most of us can't afford to have fun in your game anymore. Hope this helps and my account doesn't get deleted. House of El - (FALLOUT crew is awesome! )
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    After upsetting the vast majority of MPQ community without considering us in their planning evidently,

Ummm.....viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18784
  • Sleepy72
    Sleepy72 Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    My mistake in the vote thought I was voting for keep the new mmr and I quit not its fine after the tweak as I have been getting a wall of maxed 3* teams in new sim and pvp will be choosing the play once a day check in if they keep the new mmr will be going back to wow/dota
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I hate to be "that guy", but I'm failing to see what the issue with MMR was in the first place. I found that the game was appropriately difficult at appropriate stages of points progression for my roster and win/loss record. That said, I don't tank, my roster is fairly robust, and I have a strategy that works for me most of the time.

That said, maybe tanking is the problem. Maybe it's the players that tank regularly that are throwing it off for everyone else. Maybe the only tweak we need is a slight adjustment to how losses impact your MMR. I think it's worth investigating.

My other suggestion is to just flat out tell us how MMR works now. Give us the math used and let us come up with something better. I'm sure we have at least a few big-brain math geeks that could come up with an optimal formula.