Upcoming Versus Matchmaking Test - (Updated**)

Options

Comments

• David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Options
    **UPDATE: (11/14/14)

A quick addition to let everyone know that Beta testing will be ending shortly with the close of the Nefarious Foes Versus Event. Thanks very much for participating and for providing your valuable feedback. We got some great info that will help us moving forward. The current plan for now is that Season VIII matchmaking will be the same as Season VII.
  • Sleepy72
    Sleepy72 Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Ok glad to hear mmr is going back to what it was will be back ignoring the missus in no time scratch that just checked new pvps no seed teams straight to maxed 3* teams guess I will be talking to that strange woman at home again
  • "David wrote:
    Moore"]**UPDATE: (11/14/14)

A quick addition to let everyone know that Beta testing will be ending shortly with the close of the Nefarious Foes Versus Event. Thanks very much for participating and for providing your valuable feedback. We got some great info that will help us moving forward. The current plan for now is that Season VIII matchmaking will be the same as Season VII.

I hope we get the Mystique cover for the money we spent in extra shield hopping.
  • "David wrote:
    Moore"]**UPDATE: (11/14/14)

THANK YOU
  • user311
    user311 Posts: 482 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    arktos1971 wrote:
    I hope we get the Mystique cover for the money we spent in extra shield hopping.

I think he said you would be getting another Captain America.
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]...sending everyone that plays in the Event an Event Token for the next Versus Event.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Hi everyone,

Here's additional info on the current Versus test from the team at Demiurge:

*UPDATE (11/13/14)

"Firstly, to everyone that provided feedback on their experience so far: THANK YOU. We're not just saying we're thankful, we're showing it by sending everyone that plays in the Event an Event Token for the next Versus Event. You'll receive it at the end of Nefarious Foes.

Secondly, we want to apologize for a mistake we made in the first few hours of this change.

We were too aggressive in setting a parameter that limits the extent to which strong teams will be matched with weaker teams. In a test environment, where there are fewer teams, you'd still see a good variety of matches, but on the live server, the band was too small, and players were matched exclusively with opponents very close to their level. We corrected this roughly three hours in, but a lot of folks had a sub-par experience and that's our fault.

We also apologize for running this test on an Event with a newer cover as the reward. We prioritized making sure that the test didn't affect a Season over other considerations, and wanted to make sure you had the chance to earn Mystique before her featured spot in the Simulator had passed.

Third, please keep playing Nefarious Foes and providing feedback! This is a live test, rather than on a test server because Versus matchmaking can perform very differently at scale, and its behavior can be sensitive to the way that players interact with it. We needed a test with lots of real players actively competing to understand the full impact. A test with a few forum players wouldn't have helped us understand how the changes affect new players, and likely wouldn't have caught the mistake we made in the first version of Nefarious Foes' matchmaking.

In news going forward, we released another update to the matchmaking today, but it looks like feedback has died down significantly. We're going to leave this change up until the end of Nefarious Foes because we need to know what the full impact throughout a Versus Event looks like. Once it wraps, we'll do an update with our findings. Let us know how this version compares to your experience in previous Versus Events!

One of the big problems we're trying to eliminate with these changes: at times under the old matchmaking system, low-level players (some with their best characters as low as level 40) could get into a situation where they were being matchmade mostly against high-level 3* teams (we'd expect that to happen if they had climbed to the top of the rankings, but this was happening before that point). So we're particularly interested to hear if you're seeing opponents that are much higher level than your best team (taking the Event buff into account). We're also trying to smooth out the difficulty curve, so that as you advance up the leaderboard, the difficulty of your opponents increases more evenly than before.

We realize we're extremely lucky to have such a dedicated, vibrant and attentive community. We absolutely do not take that for granted. We hope you'll join us when we make changes that improve the game for everyone. We fundamentally cannot improve Marvel Puzzle Quest without making changes. Versus matchmaking deserves to be better, and we want to work with the community to improve it.

Thanks again for your feedback, and thanks for playing."

Now that is the hallmark response of on-the-ball community management.
    Nicely done!
  • I climbed to 400 harder than I used to because of the plentiness of the low point matches (below 20). Every now and then there would be a 30-40 points worth of match. While climbing I think I got 2 or 3 of these at most. And I lost against one of them. One thing I noticed, not sure if it was coincidence or not, when I changed my team and played a match with it, server was incredibly quick to adjust my opponents accordingly. I was using Ares, Daken and Bullseye, all maxed. They were downed. I didn't have health packs. I changed to maxed CStorm, Mags and Mawkeye and won a match with it. Following nodes had clearly easier opponents on them compared to when I had event buffed characters in my team.
  • nimvin
    nimvin Posts: 81
    Options
    KevinMark wrote:
    I climbed to 400 harder than I used to because of the plentiness of the low point matches (below 20). Every now and then there would be a 30-40 points worth of match. While climbing I think I got 2 or 3 of these at most. And I lost against one of them. One thing I noticed, not sure if it was coincidence or not, when I changed my team and played a match with it, server was incredibly quick to adjust my opponents accordingly. I was using Ares, Daken and Bullseye, all maxed. They were downed. I didn't have health packs. I changed to maxed CStorm, Mags and Mawkeye and won a match with it. Following nodes had clearly easier opponents on them compared to when I had event buffed characters in my team.

I noticed this as well. Not sure if it was RNG or working as intended. Also my potential opponents in the mystique pvp seem to be noticeably harder. I know they said rolling back to same as last season but was it tweaked at all? I took a lot of losses just trying to climb to 150 points so far and I'm already out of health packs.
  • Tyronepowers
    Options
    Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere but it would be interesting to see this new matchmaking on a regular, single buff PVP. With 8 buffed characters ( or more?) it was an odd event anyway. The matchmaking change made it more so.
  • Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere but it would be interesting to see this new matchmaking on a regular, single buff PVP. With 8 buffed characters ( or more?) it was an odd event anyway. The matchmaking change made it more so.
    Yes, I wouldn't mind testing it in Season if it is going to make the game and experience of the players better in the end. People need to shut up and let D3P test stuff. It is called testing for a reason. Fudge ups should be expected and tolerated.
  • KevinMark wrote:
    Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere but it would be interesting to see this new matchmaking on a regular, single buff PVP. With 8 buffed characters ( or more?) it was an odd event anyway. The matchmaking change made it more so.
    Yes, I wouldn't mind testing it in Season if it is going to make the game and experience of the players better in the end. People need to shut up and let D3P test stuff. It is called testing for a reason. Fudge ups should be expected and tolerated.

No problem at all for the testing. This PvP costed me more than 2000 HP. Do I have to pay more so that D3P tests the game ?

During beta testing, healing should be automatic, like loaners and AI. So we should not have to pay for health packs.
  • user311 wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:

"David wrote:
    Moore"]...sending everyone that plays in the Event an Event Token for the next Versus Event.

Has anyone received a Token of some sort ? I've received nothing yet.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    arktos1971 wrote:
    During beta testing, healing should be automatic, like loaners and AI. So we should not have to pay for health packs.
    Changing healing would change play behavior, which would impact the test...
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    arktos1971 wrote:
    user311 wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:

"David wrote:

No, but I'm still waiting on most of my Alliance HP Refund as well.
  • arktos1971 wrote:
    No problem at all for the testing. This PvP costed me more than 2000 HP. Do I have to pay more so that D3P tests the game ?

No, of course not but I think it's your own fault spending that in an event with MMR testing involved. Sorry for your loss. I mean it. Like I said in my previous post, people shouldn't expect it to go smoothly in any testing.
  • KevinMark wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:

No, of course not but I think it's your own fault spending that in an event with MMR testing involved. Sorry for your loss. I mean it. Like I said in my previous post, people shouldn't expect it to go smoothly in any testing.

Still, they decided to test during an event that gave away covers for a just-released character.
  • GrayOne
    Options
    arktos1971 wrote:
    user311 wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:

"David wrote:

I was about to post a separate topic for this, but I thought I'd start by bumping this one first... has anyone received this token yet?
  • MikeHock wrote:
    Still, they decided to test during an event that gave away covers for a just-released character.
    They wanted it to test before season started and they didn't want to stop their usual reward rotation for there was a PvE with that new character featured. I think if they didn't give Mystique in Nefarious Foes and started the Mystique PvE more people would complain considering she was given first in a much hated Heroic Juggs PvE. Couldn't they just postpone Mystique essential PvE? I dunno. Not sure how they make these decisions.
    GrayOne wrote:
    I was about to post a separate topic for this, but I thought I'd start by bumping this one first... has anyone received this token yet?
    There was already a topic for it yesterday. There might be more now.
  • GrayOne
    Options
    KevinMark wrote:
    GrayOne wrote:
    There was already a topic for it yesterday. There might be more now.

Yup, I see it now. It wasn't obvious to me at first since it's called the "Where's My Moonstone token?!" topic. Thanks.
  • _RiO_ wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:
    Changing healing would change play behavior, which would impact the test...

That's right... The snake bites its own tail as we say in French.