Upcoming Versus Matchmaking Test - (Updated**)

Options

Comments

• "David wrote:
    Moore"]"Hey all, we're working on our Versus matchmaking algorithm and will be rolling out some tweaks over the next week so we can collect data on the results. To set expectations, this will not be a huge change but we're interested in hearing your unbiased observations of the changes. We also suspect it won't have any effect for some players. If you see anything different, please share your thoughts with us. We'll have more details later, and we'll share the results of the data we collect."

Bad news.... you now look like an incompetent moron mr unnamed dev.......
  • Okay,,, you guys are finally curing me from my mpq addiction.. With this new matchup system, I go out and use up all my lifes and my health packs in about 10 minutes.. Gotta admit,, you made the game great fun....(NOTTTTTTT). The storyline fight I thought was a lot harder then usual, but I could overlook that, but now to have the PVP's wipe you out instantly.. Thanks alot... It use to be bad once I hit the 600 pt. range, all I would match up against is maxed out xforce wolvie.. Now all the villians just kick the **** out of me... Thanks again...
  • Realstuff_NameChange
    Realstuff_NameChange Posts: 64 Match Maker
    Options
    Could somebody give a quick explanation/summary of what the changes supposedly are?

Not trolling but I see loads of complaining, but not sure what the cause is.

For myself, I haven't started NF yet, but I have seed teams for my 3 first nodes and other than Battle Angel who is always a bit scary, there doesn't seem to be anything impressive/special that I notice?

My seed nodes are:
    Battle angel Loki 204 Ragnarok 178 Yelena 80
    Whatflapping 2* daken 34 loki 80 venom 6
    too many pants Doom 86 Venom 60 Jugs 50

I have 0 maxed 3*, just 2 at 153, and a bunch more at around 99-103, no high level 4* at all.

The thing is, not sure if the supposed changes are affecting LRs or maybe there are just less people playing due to being peed off about the changes, but I'm getting pretty fair to easy matches after the seed teams. Finished top 100 and then top 25 in 2 sequential lightning rounds for the first time in forever, so things are definitely seeming easier for me, but not sure if that's just coincidence or from other factors?

Seems to be similar on my phone account too, which has like maybe 4-5 max 2* at best.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,535 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Realcrap wrote:
    Could somebody give a quick explanation/summary of what the changes supposedly are?

For myself, I haven't started NF yet, but I have seed teams for my 3 first nodes and other than Battle Angel who is always a bit scary, there doesn't seem to be anything impressive/special that I notice?

My seed nodes are:

I have 0 maxed 3*, just 2 at 153, and a bunch more at around 99-103, no high level 4* at all.

The thing is, not sure if the supposed changes are affecting LRs or maybe there are just less people playing due to being peed off about the changes, but I'm getting pretty fair to easy matches after the seed teams. Finished top 100 and then top 25 in 2 sequential lightning rounds for the first time in forever, so things are definitely seeming easier for me, but not sure if that's just coincidence or from other factors?

Seems to be similar on my phone account too, which has like maybe 4-5 max 2* at best.

Many people who were not at the maxxed 166 level were seeing just 166s or close to it - I know I was. I believe they backed out the change, as I am now seeing teams that are much more usual for me.
  • Nellyson
    Nellyson Posts: 354 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    GrimSkald wrote:
    Realcrap wrote:

My seed nodes are:

Many people who were not at the maxxed 166 level were seeing just 166s or close to it - I know I was. I believe they backed out the change, as I am now seeing teams that are much more usual for me.

Maybe that was all part of the change?
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your in-game testing and valuable feedback. We've been collecting a ton of data and we'll be sharing results of that data in the future.

In the last hour or so we made another change to the matchmaking system. If you could please continue to play and comment it would be helpful (you may need to skip through a half dozen opponents to see the "new" change more quickly).

Thanks!
  • GrimSkald
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Thanks everyone for your in-game testing and valuable feedback. We've been collecting a ton of data and we'll be sharing results of that data in the future.

In the last hour or so we made another change to the matchmaking system. If you could please continue to play and comment it would be helpful (you may need to skip through a half dozen opponents to see the "new" change more quickly).

Thanks!

Aha! So I'm not nuts. icon_e_smile.gif Btw, if you quit out of the game and come back in you may have to "skip" less, quitting out of the game clears your node stacks under the top one (i.e. the top one remains the same, but everything else is reloaded.)
  • GrimSkald
    Options
    More feedback - I'm playing in the LR and I'm seeing teams that are litterally all over the place.

Examples - GSBW 60 (buffed) / CHawks 40 / 2* Cap 46 (Highest level on roster 54)
    - GSBW 60 (buffed) / X-Force 118 / Psylocke 117 (buffed) (roster X-Force and 2*s)
    - GSBW 60 (buffed) / 2* Thor 38 / IM35 45 (normal for roster)

I skipped a 166 Patch / 230 hulk / GSBW of a level I don't recall.

This is weird.
  • Realstuff_NameChange
    Options
    GrimSkald wrote:
    Realcrap wrote:

Interesting, thanks. Maybe I started playing again right as the other change mentioned above happened, because I'm having the best time I've had in lightning rounds in awhile. I've made it past 250 pts like 4 times now, and I usually get to around 100 or so and hit max hulk/sentry etc. teams and stop, but seeing actually reasonable opponents at the moment.

Makes me wonder if I should put off going to sleep and start the main PVP early while I maybe have a chance at earning some real points. icon_e_biggrin.gif

And then you hit me in the lightning round, thanks a bunch ! icon_razz.gif
  • GrimSkald
    Options
    Realcrap wrote:

Sorry. I may have been over-excited by having foes I could beat in the lightning rounds again. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Realstuff_NameChange
    Options
    GrimSkald wrote:
    Realcrap wrote:

Sorry. I may have been over-excited by having foes I could beat in the lightning rounds again. icon_e_smile.gif

It's okay, I then immediately got a defensive victory which gave me back the points. Against a max 166 roster guy. Which never happens. Overall, whatever the change is, I'm enjoying it.
  • "David wrote:
    Moore"]Thanks everyone for your in-game testing and valuable feedback. We've been collecting a ton of data and we'll be sharing results of that data in the future.

Thanks!

Please add to the data that I refused to play during the original mmr test.
  • 0 score and 3 nodes of all 332s. 10 skips all the same results.

Forget this garbage. If this is going live in the next season I doubt i'll play much at all.
  • I started with max Sentry/Daken/Hood and saw tons of the same.

I switched to Dr Octopus (170), Loki (220), and baby Daken (198) and I am now seeing tons of creampuff teams with 1* and 2*'s.

Up to 250 so far and the max teams haven't re-appeared -- perhaps it is basing your field on the team you entered with last?
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yeah, I've been seeing non maxed 1*s to start the lightning rounds. Only been playing a few games each round. Are these meant to replace seed teams? I'm with a good stable of level 135 3*s. Haven't tried nefarious foes yet... Will post when I enter.
  • Ive started the NF event and at the beginning it was pretty random...maxed 3s, mixed bag 3s and 2s, and creampuff 1s...now I am around 280, rank 16 or so, and i am seeing comparable opponents but also higher 3s and some lower leveled rosters, and creampuffs with close to similar scores. My theory is it pits you against other players in the same reward range that you are in based on your current rank.
  • I liked the new change to be honest. It was a step in the right direction. I was put against people who had the same level of characters as me mostly maxed two star characters. The problem was the points were still going off the ranking status. In my opinion the way to keep thing fairer would be to give points based on the way you match people up. For example if you match people because of how many points they have in the event it makes sense to vary the points based on the amount of points the opulent has. If you match people based on the level of characters in the roster then base the points on the level of characters. This way you will get more points for fighting tougher opponents.
  • I too have been fairing better with this change. Even after the tweak.

Pre Tweak I managed to get up to 3rd place before having to take a break due to health Packs. Higher than Ive even reached before, given im only just now fully leveling 2*s. Yes, the opponents were harder, even the seed teams, but no where near as impossible and formidable as the 166 wall. Since the tweak I got hammered pretty hard initially, but after that it seems I have been getting attacked less often, thus losing less points, and making it easier to come back. I've been able to hold a top 100 slot for near 24 hours with only occasionally having the time to go through my retaliations.

I think its going to take some getting used to for people, but over all I think its been a good change.

Personally I like the challenge as it adds more fun to the game for me. Yeah, its be great to skate past the first serveral hundred points and get the awards, but I think it would become boring for me after a time. Maybe I'll think differently once I'm into 3*s...

It seems points are not climbing as high, so maybe they need to take a look at progression reward structure should they keep these changes.

Other then that, my only recommendation before the change would have been to implement the game giving each player a free three hour shield if they were attacked by another player and lost. This would have prevented those times when you get nailed overnight and lose alot of your progress. But considering that I have ben attacked less often currently, maybe its not needed...unless they pull the changes.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Maybe the whole thing was calculated? Bring out a big change, call it a small one. Then say whoops and bring out the actual small change you wanted to implement. Most people are so relieved the big change is gone they don't even notice the small change and will just play merrily along.

/conspiracy
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Here's additional info on the current Versus test from the team at Demiurge:

*UPDATE (11/13/14)

"Firstly, to everyone that provided feedback on their experience so far: THANK YOU. We're not just saying we're thankful, we're showing it by sending everyone that plays in the Event an Event Token for the next Versus Event. You'll receive it at the end of Nefarious Foes.

Secondly, we want to apologize for a mistake we made in the first few hours of this change.

We were too aggressive in setting a parameter that limits the extent to which strong teams will be matched with weaker teams. In a test environment, where there are fewer teams, you'd still see a good variety of matches, but on the live server, the band was too small, and players were matched exclusively with opponents very close to their level. We corrected this roughly three hours in, but a lot of folks had a sub-par experience and that's our fault.

We also apologize for running this test on an Event with a newer cover as the reward. We prioritized making sure that the test didn't affect a Season over other considerations, and wanted to make sure you had the chance to earn Mystique before her featured spot in the Simulator had passed.

Third, please keep playing Nefarious Foes and providing feedback! This is a live test, rather than on a test server because Versus matchmaking can perform very differently at scale, and its behavior can be sensitive to the way that players interact with it. We needed a test with lots of real players actively competing to understand the full impact. A test with a few forum players wouldn't have helped us understand how the changes affect new players, and likely wouldn't have caught the mistake we made in the first version of Nefarious Foes' matchmaking.

In news going forward, we released another update to the matchmaking today, but it looks like feedback has died down significantly. We're going to leave this change up until the end of Nefarious Foes because we need to know what the full impact throughout a Versus Event looks like. Once it wraps, we'll do an update with our findings. Let us know how this version compares to your experience in previous Versus Events!

One of the big problems we're trying to eliminate with these changes: at times under the old matchmaking system, low-level players (some with their best characters as low as level 40) could get into a situation where they were being matchmade mostly against high-level 3* teams (we'd expect that to happen if they had climbed to the top of the rankings, but this was happening before that point). So we're particularly interested to hear if you're seeing opponents that are much higher level than your best team (taking the Event buff into account). We're also trying to smooth out the difficulty curve, so that as you advance up the leaderboard, the difficulty of your opponents increases more evenly than before.

We realize we're extremely lucky to have such a dedicated, vibrant and attentive community. We absolutely do not take that for granted. We hope you'll join us when we make changes that improve the game for everyone. We fundamentally cannot improve Marvel Puzzle Quest without making changes. Versus matchmaking deserves to be better, and we want to work with the community to improve it.

Thanks again for your feedback, and thanks for playing."