Heroic: Juggernaut Nov 6 - 9

Options

Comments

• I honestly don't mind icon_juggernaut.png and icon_venom.png heroics - when they're not for new characters. They're just an unpleasant slog fest when they release a character.

Joined yesterday with good timing thanks to the great forum thread in General. Ended up taking 2nd by 101 points.

But overall, as I said in alliance chat, I feel like I ate a lot of bad Mexican food. I've never wiped so much in such a short time.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    j12601 wrote:
    I honestly don't mind icon_juggernaut.png and icon_venom.png heroics - when they're not for new characters. They're just an unpleasant slog fest when they release a character.

This. And it's even worse when the end is an hour before the season's end.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    How do you get near the top now? Just grind grind grind and enough roster depth and health packs?

I used to do consistently well in PvE, but since the gradual changes of a few months ago, it's just a struggle now.
  • yogi_ wrote:
    How do you get near the top now?

Just grind grind grind and enough roster depth and health packs?

And liberal use of boosts in hopes of using fewer health packs by ending the matches 2+ turns earlier. Without boosts my Panther would often die just when he collected 12 black ap
  • yogi_
    Options
    And boosts.
  • Thank **** god this event is over. UGH. Top 20 and I'm not even happy.
  • If your placement is at all in doubt you should at least have all your iso 8 boosts for every fight that looks questionable, which is generally everything in a heroic event. That said you also need to recognize when your placement is likely decided, like say if you're #70ish you're probably not storming into top 20 in the last hour for the next tier award and it's really not worth spending all the boosts to move up from #70 to #45 for an extra 50 HP especially when there's a very good chance you won't succeed. Anything with The Hood is a good time to clean out your +match damage boosts that you probably have 30 of them sitting around. Really you should use your +20% match damage all boosts unless you have some kind of shield hopping plan that involves these boosts (which I can't even imagine how). Just make sure you keep at least 5 of them around so you don't accidentally spend more HP to buy more.
  • yogi_
    Options
    All these responses are interesting.

There have been other random threads, where the concepts of boosts have been discussed as "cheats".

In theory, given that it seems to be required to use some of these things (and to a lesser extent, maybe health packs?), is this a problem? Is the game broken?

Should the game be solely able to be played without the addition of anything?
  • yogi_ wrote:

There have been other random threads, where the concepts of boosts have been discussed as "cheats".

In theory, given that it seems to be required to use some of these things (and to a lesser extent, maybe health packs?), is this a problem? Is the game broken?

Well if you look at the game's helpful hints it says something like 'use boosts on a particular hard fight to give you an edge' or something along these lines. Unfortunately in a heroic event it's more like every fight is hard and you can definitely use the edge provided by boosts on every fight.

Remember that originally AP+3 all boosts cost only 200 iso to buy and I think you got a lot more of them per batch. They clearly didn't think people are just going to keep on chug boosts like a drug addict but that's what you do when the game is hard enough that you need an edge on every fight. It's a pretty viscious cycle because I'm sure people are going through a lot of boosts so D3 is looking at the metrics and say 'see these nodes aren't too hard people are still beating them fine' and if more people decide they need to use boosts to keep up this makes the community scaling even higher, or worse yet maybe D3 looks at the metrics and then decide they tuned the nodes too easy and increased their overall difficulty at the start of the next event.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    yogi_ wrote:

Maybe it's my scaling or I got lucky a lot, but I didn't use boosts apart from the first go round when I was feeling a bit scaredy. Joined halfway through the event doing full clears from time to time and hitting essentials and easy nodes when I felt like it. If I wiped too much and was out of health packs, I went away and let the healthpacks regenerate before continuing. Definitely not grinding every refresh.

That was still good enough to keep me comfortably in top 50 and creep upwards even as time went on. If it didn't end so close to the season I might have made an attempt for top 20. I stopped in #21 about 2 hours from the end.

In short, I don't think boosts are absolutely vital unless you're aiming for top10.
  • stryke
    stryke Posts: 107 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Oh you have got to be kidding me...

Yeah I think I might have to take a break from a game after that. Decided to really go for it, got 64k points and 84th at half past midnight on a Sunday before having to stop with four hours to go.

Wake up to find I finished 157th.

Yep, call me back when you fix the bloody end times for the EU.
  • yogi_
    Options
    stryke wrote:

Yeah I think I might have to take a break from a game after that. Decided to really go for it, got 64k points and 84th at half past midnight on a Sunday before having to stop with four hours to go.

I've had some like this including a 151 (i think from the last Heroic Venom) and others near to it, so I feel you. It bites, very hard.
  • stryke wrote:

Yeah, hopefully soon. Woke up at 4am to grind the end, got to 23rd before realising that my available points per node had become to low to get top 20. Can't wait for the end time change...
  • yogi_
    Options
    Don't get too excited yet. From the image, it only seems to be a PvP experiment so far.
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    yogi_ wrote:
    Don't get too excited yet. From the image, it only seems to be a PvP experiment so far.

It's only for PVP???!!! icon_e_surprised.gificon_e_surprised.gificon_e_surprised.gif
  • Oldboy wrote:
    yogi_ wrote:

It's only for PVP???!!! icon_e_surprised.gificon_e_surprised.gificon_e_surprised.gif

That would be a cruel, cruel joke.
  • SunCrusher
    SunCrusher Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Had horrible luck with getting very Juggernaut-happy boards towards the middle of my refreshes (lots of Reds and Greens that left plenty for both myself and the AI to collect) and it was so bad I just kind of threw my hands into the air and said, "Screw this!" because I didn't think I could get anywhere after so many 'bad' runs. The fact that I started out without Black Panther did not do me any favors, either, as the non-Essential Hardest nodes - though not visibly scaled as atrociously as they sometimes are - were plenty stupidly dangerous already.

But I finally got some slightly better boards and managed to collect a Black Panther cover and both of these things helped me to recover some lost ground which eased up some of the pressure and helped me to just barely snag the last tier Mystique cover.

That said, I vote for, "Sleeping was way too dangerous for this event," because sleeping nearly cost me that cover despite the fact that pre-sleep, I had a decent-sized lead/buffer room.

My work schedule and taking care of other work projects got me totally sidewinded and turned around in completely socially unacceptable ways in terms of my sleep-wake cycles over the last few months (in accordance to the timezone I live in) and if it weren't for the fact that I was crashing at a friend's house and was vigorously woken up by them to take care of other time-sensitive Real Life stuff re: collaborative work project, I would have missed the last refresh because I was happily dead to the world (alarm clocks don't work on me anymore if I'm wiped out - not even the Big Ben style ones) and had fallen out of the reach of the last tier of covers.

As it was, I barely clung on and it was basically down to node clear versus node clear in my bracket - me versus everyone else who was struggling for the same last tier of covers - and I ended up power-Boosting just to clear them faster to earn the points faster so I could hopefully put down my device and get back to work ASAP. Didn't happen. I ended up having to play until the last 5 minutes to ensure I could cling onto top 150. My last node - a power-Boosted and fingers-crossed last attempt at the most difficult non-Essential node with the most amount of points possible - was enough to finally shove me past the 'worry' range.

I made it, but barely, and when I was done, I was ready to sleep some more because the hectic race to the finish made me even MORE tired and this was after I had hogged an entire pot of black blond roast coffee for myself (I did brew my friend their own pot!).

I feel for the people who lost their covers owing to sleep or other Real Life obligations; it's happened to me before owing to my oftentimes wacky work schedule putting me at odds with my timezone's more 'normal' sleep-wake cycles and though I didn't lose my cover this time around, I've definitely lost them before because I've missed the last refresh.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Oldboy wrote:
    yogi_ wrote:

That would be a cruel, cruel joke.
    I wouldn't put it past the devs to change PVP - which nobody has been asking for - and leave PVE as it is, completely misunderstanding our complaints about end times. But there's still hope.

On topic:
    Started with 12 hours to go with the intention of only getting t150.
    Grinded my way up to 55k (20something), went to bed at midnight, woke up to 104th and the cover I was shooting for.
    I refuse to compete for t10 as long as the devs insist that I have to play PVE blind, with one arm tied behind my back, just because I live in a CET time zone.

Unless it's for Dr. Strange. I would grind the everlasting tinykitty out of that event.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Nice sharing suncrusher, glad you got your cover!considering you didn't have a BP, that's all the more impressive!

For me, as my schedule on Fri, sat and Sun allows me to grind, I have decided early that I will grind as Much as possible and aim for top 10. The worry was the travelling on sat, and work schedule on Mon.

I managed to get into top spot in the first 24 hours, and at one time was 7k ahead of second spot. The travel cost me 2 refresh cycle and I dropped to 5th. I continued to grind as Much as I can, even waking up in the middle of the night to clear nodes.

Towards the end, the nodes were tough. I was boosting with 3 b/g and 3 r/y every game, and still it depends on whether I got that 9 yellow and 12 black. Sometimes that was not enough and I get wiped out by daken blue or ares green.

I wasn't able to play in the last hour, but I thought I should be safe being in top 10 with a 3k lead.

10 mins before end, I check the game and found that I was in 11th! Tinykitty I immediately tried to get a few games in, and the first 2 games I got wiped by incredible AI cascades. I ran out of health packs, but I was determined to get back into top 10. I bought my health packs (200 Hp gone), healed my Bp and wolvie and managed to clear 2 nodes.

I ended the game at 9th spot. Phew! If the other 2 fellas have gotten a node at the end, I would have missed my last cover.

The 3 covers were hard to come by, as I rarely rarely grind pve.just a Huge sigh of relief after the pve ended.
  • bdksni1
    bdksni1 Posts: 103
    Options
    Ranked #14 with 81k. After a weekend dedicated to Mpq and allmost no real life i was aiming for top10. Didn'get there but as i am on the wrong side of the earth -Portugal- after all it wasn't such a bad result.