*** Blade (Daywalker) ***

Options

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bdksni1 wrote:
    Hi there. I currently have a lvl 140 5/4/3 blade. was thinking on maxing him to lvl 166 5/5/3 in order to attack pvp, paired with lcap (166 3/5/5) which is my onlymaxed char. My question is if it is worth it to place t10-25 on pvp regularly? Other question will my scalling on pve go over the top by having 2maxed chars?
    There are worse guys to start with. You really want 5 green with Blade though.
    (I've switched to 3/5/5 and will not be changing back.)
  • locked wrote:
    tGsqaP2l.png

I wonder how is it possible, Blade triggering The Thirst against heavy red users (Moonstone, Juggernaut and Ares)?
    Oh right! The AI doesn't always prioritize its best colours!

PS: lvl 260. No boosts or team-ups used.

Uh, the ai could prioritize red all it wants with that board. Only one red match is possible and it's the one that just dropped (the one red that wasn't affected by thirst).

I'm flattered that you played blade against that node just to try and make your horrible argument against mine though. I wonder how many times you got completely dismantled before you found an ideal board and kept green away from juggs so he wouldn't undo a your work with 6 green.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    ark123 wrote:
    locked wrote:
    tGsqaP2l.png

I wonder how is it possible, Blade triggering The Thirst against heavy red users (Moonstone, Juggernaut and Ares)?
    Oh right! The AI doesn't always prioritize its best colours!

PS: lvl 260. No boosts or team-ups used.

Uh, the ai could prioritize red all it wants with that board. Only one red match is possible and it's the one that just dropped (the one red that wasn't affected by thirst).

I'm flattered that you played blade against that node just to try and make your horrible argument against mine though. I wonder how many times you got completely dismantled before you found an ideal board and kept green away from juggs so he wouldn't undo a your work with 6 green.
    Dude. I have been clearing that node with Blade during the entire sub 3. And the other essential, with Ares/Moonstone/Venom, ONLY with Blade/Hood or Blade/Spidey in the beginning. Only whipped out XF on the last clears because Thunder Strike into Surgical Strike into CTS is quite effective and fast compared to even Blade's strong tiles. But then again Moonstone is often higher level than Ares, so if you kill Juggernaut first as is logical, you still want a purple AP outlet in case Nightstalker steals purple.
    How well did I manage? Oh I dunno, topped 1 in sub 3 and am topping main with a good lead. Using Blade every sub heavily. Blade/Grocket/Patch, Blade/Grocket/Falcon are awesome teams for some of those overscaled Hood nodes, too. Of course Blade must be 3/5/5.
    I guess it's not obvious from my screenshot but Moonstone is the last standing enemy, none of my heroes got hit with any red power (Grocket was hurt in a previous node), despite the board being relatively rich with red during the entire round.
    What more can I say. Playing with 3/5/5 Blade requires some thought as to board manipulation, but it's rewarding icon_razz.gif
  • My Blade was 5/5/3 for a long time .... then mpq dropped 2 purple & 2 green & 1 black blade covers on me .... not too sure to respec or not...
    Then fought 1 Blade (3/5/5) in sim.....(season X) ... OMG... the strike tiles come out so fast ... combined with daken (5 blue enuf) ... bam bam ... my 4T was dropped to half life (My team was Hood/XF/4T) .... & for the 1st time... I was slightly worried .. (I matched relatively little green...) Then i realised, it was the scattered red tiles & enemy Blade was using those to create more strike tiles for Daken to use...

I had to target Blade 1st before Daken / LT (usually I would go for Daken by denying blue...)....

It was a close fight as the board did not exactly go my way (even boosted) ... (If not boosted, I would have died)

But not too often I get shock when putting up my A team against anything... but Blade (with 5 green) / Daken combo & if Blade got off his purple .... the match would go south real fast for me...

I respec to 3/5/5.. no regrets ...

NM
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    it's been said before.

If you plan to only use Blade in PvP, then you are better off 5/3/5 because of X-Force

Any other situation you want 3/5/5, and 3/5/5 still works in PvP, you just lose the option of a hard hitting cheap Nightstalker
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    it's been said before.

If you plan to only use Blade in PvP, then you are better off 5/3/5 because of X-Force

Any other situation you want 3/5/5, and 3/5/5 still works in PvP, you just lose the option of a hard hitting cheap Nightstalker
    I would think with 8 AP collected Surgical Strike is just one more black match 3 away. Nightstalker is one and done and needs more turns for benefits to realize, while Surgical can potentially end the game in the same turn.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    hurcules wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    it's been said before.

I would think with 8 AP collected Surgical Strike is just one more black match 3 away. Nightstalker is one and done and needs more turns for benefits to realize, while Surgical can potentially end the game in the same turn.

true, but their are times where you steal black, like when Blade was featured PvP, so having a fully maxed Nightstalker is nice. Plus PvP is about speed and if you don't run X-Force for early matches a 5/3/5 Blade is probably faster because you don't care about purple.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    hurcules wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    it's been said before.

true, but their are times where you steal black, like when Blade was featured PvP, so having a fully maxed Nightstalker is nice. Plus PvP is about speed and if you don't run X-Force for early matches a 5/3/5 Blade is probably faster because you don't care about purple.

I've had plenty of cases in Blade's PvP where I would prioritize purple and have it carry to me to victory: turns out 3k damage a turn is good enough to easily win you the game. Sometimes the board just gives you purple, and a maxed 3/5/5 Blade just absolutely wrecks. The ONLY argument for 5/3/5 blade is goon killing, PvP defense, and seed killing. I'm starting to believe more and more that 3/5/5 is the only build if you want Blade to actually do relevant things on a team. As if an extra 700 damage on a nightstalker in PvP even matters: remember that if you cast it after surgical then it's not stealing any AP because you've already surgicalled it away. Not to mention that vs max blade teams, you can't even steal other colors because black is going to be the sole most powerful color on the team. Man 5/3/5 seems worse and worse the more I think about it for PvP offense.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    the Blades that were wrecking me surely weren't built 5/3/5
  • locked wrote:
    the Blades that were wrecking me surely weren't built 5/3/5

Honestly if we're talking pvp the other abilities matter way less than 5 green. You can off blade but his residual giant red strike tiles combine well with anything
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Options
    People really seem to like Blade. Unfortunately mine is garbage right now.

What makes him so fun, despite his non-relevance in PvP? His abilities seem fairly simple in terms of mechanics. Is he up there with XF in terms of fun-factor?
  • I think it's Thirst. His animation feels powerful and leaves strike tiles in their wake. Also, it's not too hard to trigger. With Nightstalker, stealing the opponent's most powerful AP and using it against them is pretty good. If you can keep the tile there it's like denying the opponent their most powerful weapon. KYEC also feels like a gradual game ender most of the time.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Trisul wrote:

What makes him so fun, despite his non-relevance in PvP? His abilities seem fairly simple in terms of mechanics. Is he up there with XF in terms of fun-factor?
    He's all about The Thirst. Pumping out free strike tiles is amazing, and at level 5 it doesn't take long before the board is swamped with strike tiles.
    Keep your enemies close is quite good to, it's not that difficult to get attack tiles doing 1000 damage each turn. Blade wears people out quickly if they are not careful.
  • Salgy
    Salgy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Quebbster wrote:
    Trisul wrote:

He's all about The Thirst. Pumping out free strike tiles is amazing, and at level 5 it doesn't take long before the board is swamped with strike tiles.
    Keep your enemies close is quite good to, it's not that difficult to get attack tiles doing 1000 damage each turn. Blade wears people out quickly if they are not careful.

+1 with a favorable pink friendly board, by the 3rd move you can drop kyec which will hit for 3000+ each subsequent turn... I typically run blade with xforce & daken, and ended up building another one with extra covers since he's the only one of that trio who can't heal... Both are maxed out 166 3/5/5's & I don't regret it for a second
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Salgy wrote:
    ended up building another one with extra covers
    See? People REALLY like Blade. icon_razz.gif

Maybe... it's the vampire effect?
  • Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Trisul wrote:

Blade is amazing with Lcap/Falcon in PVE. I can take down max level goons and rarely take any damage with that combo. Free strike tiles that are boosted by Falcon, countdown tile control from Cap and Falcon and DoT from Blade's purple make them unstopable. I just make sure to take an Ares or Hulk team-up to use all the green ap that doesn't get used and its the perfect goon killing team.
  • Blade is probably not even top tier on average amongst 3* but he's unbelievably powerful when certain things are going your way. I just had a game in Web-Slinger against Blade (166) + 2 weak guys, and Thirst proced every turn and I had 24 red AP by the time the match ended and every red tile on the board was still a strike tile. It was literally raining red tiles on every move and had the two guys besides Blade not been of trivial threat that game would've gone very badly. Of course these cases aren't very common, but they're apparently not that rare either. Had quite a few games in the Gauntlet where it seemed like no matter how many red tiles you matched, there was always more coming to trigger The Thirst.
  • Trisul wrote:

Blade is amazing with Lcap/Falcon in PVE. I can take down max level goons and rarely take any damage with that combo. Free strike tiles that are boosted by Falcon, countdown tile control from Cap and Falcon and DoT from Blade's purple make them unstopable. I just make sure to take an Ares or Hulk team-up to use all the green ap that doesn't get used and its the perfect goon killing team.

I don't like lcap there. He uses blue which stops falcon blue from working, and he matches red which stops blade's green from working. Ideally you have someone who uses yellow and green there. LThor comes to mind
  • ark123 wrote:
    Trisul wrote:

I don't like lcap there. He uses blue which stops falcon blue from working, and he matches red which stops blade's green from working. Ideally you have someone who uses yellow and green there. LThor comes to mind

The trick to using LCap's blue with falcon, is to use it right after redwing swoops in. By the time you get your blue ap back, redwing will be ready to go again. I do agree that LThor is a better outlet for the yellow that fuels Inspiration & the green that's often sapped by Nightstalker... and although Lightning strike sometimes cascades away your special tiles, it usually leads to a match ending Call the Storm.
  • Something struck me odd about Blade today.

He carries a gun. That's fine. That's part of his character.

However...none of his abilities use it. Nightstalker? Sword slash. Keep Your Enemies Closer? Sword pointing dramatically. The Thirst? Nope...

Did he run out of bullets, or is it just to look cool and threatening? icon_razz.gif