*** Blade (Daywalker) ***

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ruinate wrote:
    I used to love using Blade. Kyec is game ending. But this heroic Oscorp has showed me that Blade is a complete liability without Daken. I'd estimate there's a 60% chance where he sits there and does absolutely nothing all game.
    Daken doesn't help Blade do anything. Cyc on the other hand...
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    simonsez wrote:
    Ruinate wrote:
    I used to love using Blade. Kyec is game ending. But this heroic Oscorp has showed me that Blade is a complete liability without Daken. I'd estimate there's a 60% chance where he sits there and does absolutely nothing all game.

Don't have Cyc. I'm sure it's wonderful but I can only imagine. Worse case scenario where there's barely any greens or reds, I can at least chase purple with Daken with no fear and maybe get off a 1-2 strike kyec. Without Daken, he just loses health.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've actually found Blade quite useful. Him and Wolverine combining to throw down strike tiles ended matches pretty quickly for me. They went even quicker if I got his purple down too.
  • Ruinate wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Ruinate wrote:

Don't have Cyc. I'm sure it's wonderful but I can only imagine. Worse case scenario where there's barely any greens or reds, I can at least chase purple with Daken with no fear and maybe get off a 1-2 strike kyec. Without Daken, he just loses health.
    don't believe the hype, Daken is nothing but a second health pool for Blade. He takes away from his stronger strikes and forces you to go after green instead of purple, or blue instead of black.

Don't get me wrong, you can team them up for success, it isn't 'trash', but the synergy is just tanking. If doing goon nodes Falcon/Blade/Rogers or CMags will beat pretty much anything.
    - Unreall
  • I know how to run Blade/Daken, it just seems real half-tiny-kitty no matter how I slice it.

No, I really don't think you do. You don't take green (unless you also brought Thor), you take purple and blue. Then when the Thirst kicks in you throw out Keep your Enemies Closer and then you use Chemical Reaction to do massive amounts of damage while watching your strike tiles regenerate. The whole point of Blade/Daken is you don't have to take green to get the most out of Daken's blue. They are far far above 'trash' bordering on 'awesome'.

And the regenerating tanking of Daken doesn't hurt either.
  • Ruinate wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Ruinate wrote:

don't believe the hype, Daken is nothing but a second health pool for Blade. He takes away from his stronger strikes and forces you to go after green instead of purple, or blue instead of black.

Don't get me wrong, you can team them up for success, it isn't 'trash', but the synergy is just tanking. If doing goon nodes Falcon/Blade/Rogers or CMags will beat pretty much anything.
    - Unreall
    I disagree, using daken as a whipping boy lets blade do his thing without the use of health packs, was my intial 3* team and is is very good

wait a sec what the bleep happened in this thread? blade a liability? You never seen a powered up blade in PVP then icon_e_ugeek.gificon_e_ugeek.gificon_e_ugeek.gif
    Ruinate wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Ruinate wrote:

wrong, daken helps blade by what I said above
    Ruinate wrote:

icon_question.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_eek.gificon_e_confused.gificon_neutral.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_question.gif
  • My post didn't post (>_<)'
    Bah!
    Long story short, its not a two man team, its a three man team, and Daken - for ME plays best with a green user also, and usually that green is better than blade's purp, so priorities are just different. I find them to be stronger teams than anytime I used Daken/Blade, whether it was just for strikes, wheterh it was to **** out Daken blue, or when Daken was a body double for Blade. They just overlap in function on 3 man teams.
    - Unreall
  • Almost all PvP is about a 2 man team. You can not select your third. You can use people who work well with the featured, but given weekly buff lists that is less likely to happen than using 2 buffed characters that work well together.

Even on a 3 man team, you can bring any redflag.png / yellowflag.png / greenflag.png character, of which there are a ton, to make a rainbow efficient murderball team with Daken/Blade.

Also, Daken/Blade have about 0 overlapping functions. No over lapping active powers, you actually WANT Daken to tank his colors (which he does at equal level), and since Daken eats strike tiles for damage, you aren't really ever in danger of needed LESS of them, so... make all the strike tiles. Daken's fucntion is to take and regenerate damage and deal blueflag.png damage, both things that Blade can not do. Blade's function is to put out massive attack tiles and win. Yes both make Strike tiles but like I said, you can always make more room for them by using Daken blueflag.png .

Also Also Wik, by "stronger team" you mean "Daken/Green User"? Because as you said, 3 man team. Daken/Green User is only improved by bringing Blade as your third.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    raisinbman wrote:

wait a sec what the bleep happened in this thread? blade a liability? You never seen a powered up blade in PVP then icon_e_ugeek.gificon_e_ugeek.gificon_e_ugeek.gif

icon_question.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_eek.gificon_e_confused.gificon_neutral.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_question.gif

Apparently heroics and pvp are the same thing to you. Limited roster, against Juggernaut, Blade does not do any work. Maybe you're pairing him with Cyc, but I can't and I don't know what that's like. All I implied was that he is not a good stand-alone hero and if you want to argue that then I have no words for you. In the very first sentence I said that I loved using him. Also he was featured very recently icon_rolleyes.gif

@Lerysh - I saw you mention this twice so I want to ask you: when you run Blade/Daken, do you chase blue and spam CR regardless of how many blues are on the board? Is your Daken in heat all the time and you just prologue heal him?
  • Unknown
    edited June 2015
    Ruinate wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

Apparently heroics and pvp are the same thing to you. Limited roster, against Juggernaut, Blade does not do any work. Maybe you're pairing him with Cyc, but I can't and I don't know what that's like. All I implied was that he is not a good stand-alone hero and if you want to argue that then I have no words for you. In the very first sentence I said that I loved using him. Also he was featured very recently icon_rolleyes.gif

@Lerysh - I saw you mention this twice so I want to ask you: when you run Blade/Daken, do you chase blue and spam CR regardless of how many blues are on the board? Is your Daken in heat all the time and you just prologue heal him?
    rofl, my blade works fine against juggernaut, insert zoidberg meme

53126836.jpg

my blade works fine in PVE and PVP standalone, insert shen long meme

videojuegos-street-desmotivaciones.jpg

why do everyone wanna trash on Blade when we got plenty of **** characters to go around, I'll never understand....

Wait a sec....you asking about daken/blade yet you say blade can't cut it? oh boy, NOW I know what the problem is...smh
  • Ruinate wrote:
    Yea I chase bluetile.png pretty aggressivly. I also have a 5/3/5 Daken for extra murdery fun time blueflag.png . He does sometimes OD on Heat and fall (and require a health pack) but that is much less of an issue now with 10 health packs and also with the speed he runs at (especially with Blade).

My outlook is even if I take some Heat damage, that 2774 damage plus strike tiles will likely result in the match being over before I take an opposing power to the face, net saving in HP lost even if Daken is melting as we fight.
  • fnedude
    fnedude Posts: 374 Mover and Shaker
    So I've been using Blade a lot lately (who wouldn't), and when his nightstalker activates he's stealing 0AP from the opponent (who has a few colors w/ 0 AP). But he has other colors with 8+ AP. What's the deal?

It says "steals from the greats pool" (paraphrased).

Is this buggy?

I'm on a PC.
  • The precise text is draining X AP from the enemy's strongest color, where "strongest" refers to match strength.
  • I'm a straight forward guy - and give credit where due.

I still am not a fan of Blade/Daken, but for kicks I did try Black Panther/Daken/Blade, and it was 'fun'. Took too much dmg and no board shake-up, but it was 'fun'. Who else can spit out a high volume of non-red strike tiles? I didn't like Blade being just a strike generator as the focus was on Blue/Black/Yellow, so I never got enough purple, and BP used the black.
    - Unreall
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    You dont want board shakeup with blade and daken. They excels with stale boards
  • Too a point. Having some form of controllable shake-up is always a good thing, you aren't the onyl one who can put down tiles...and running out of useful matches is still running out of useful matches...especially with that team, since it didn't use red at ALL, didn't use green at all (outside of passive), and barely used purple. Pairing someone with those two, they should use more of the colors...I'm not big on 'rainbows' if you will, but this team CRAVES a Green/Yellow/Red strike tile maker - like Patch...but lack of board shake up means those purple strikes will eat you alive.
    - Unreall
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm a straight forward guy - and give credit where due.

I still am not a fan of Blade/Daken, but for kicks I did try Black Panther/Daken/Blade, and it was 'fun'. Took too much dmg and no board shake-up, but it was 'fun'. Who else can spit out a high volume of non-red strike tiles? I didn't like Blade being just a strike generator as the focus was on Blue/Black/Yellow, so I never got enough purple, and BP used the black.
    - Unreall

One of my favorite PvE teams is 3Thor-Grocket-Blade. Grocket gives you the non-red strike tiles, and you can use his green to shake up board if you really want. (obviously using 3Thor's is preferable). Grocket also eats a lot of the damage because he covers Thor on yellow/green, and obviously his heal can board shake as well.
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    I guess you could always bring some jugg teamups. Almost everyone should have a juggs on their roster by now to send to you
  • Elleby
    Elleby Posts: 64 Match Maker
    Vynyv wrote:
    The precise text is draining X AP from the enemy's strongest color, where "strongest" refers to match strength.

So how would that work with goon mobs? All of the colors are of equal strength.
  • You can determine the strongest color for goons by their first power. For example, the Maggia Muscle's first power is Threaten, so yellow would be his strongest color.

Edit: After some testing, it appears that Blade's Nightstalker may treat all colors in which goons have a power in as the "strongest color" of the goon. These limited tests have only been performed on goons with strictly active powers so far.

If you have to break a tie between characters with equal match strengths in different colors, Blade's Nightstalker will choose randomly between the colors. This isn't always the case for "strongest color" abilities however (e.g. Surgical Strike supposedly breaks ties by character order).

There may be some conflicting information floating around, since the behavior of "strongest color" abilities appears to have shifted in the past. We will probably have to test these again at some point to verify all the past information.