*** Blade (Daywalker) ***

Options

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    After a disappointing result in Coversquirrel (scored 620 and still placed out of the T100). I decided to buy the two covers I needed to max green. Since he is a solid character and the two-three star transition is harder than ever, I didn't mind ponying up the bucks. My question is with all of the "good" two stars maxed, what would be a good pairing for him to help carry my two star team?

Thanks
    Daken and Thor/Ares make a full rainbow team without overlapping active skills.
    OBW likes strike tile generators, but if she only tanks blue she may not be much help.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Does anyone know how much damage Nightstalker at 5 covers will do on a level 89 Blade?

I have a level 40, 5/0/0 Blade I use to send out TUs. It would cost just shy of 30K ISO to bring him to level 89 which is his soft cap. I'm wondering if it's worth the cost for the extra damage--probably not.

I have 3 Thirst covers sitting in my queue right now. I could add those with the plan to eventually bring him to 5/0/5, level 140. At that point the TU would probably do around 1,500 damage. But that's a lot of ISO to spend on a TU and I'm not sure if I really like my alliancemates that much. icon_e_wink.gif
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quebbster wrote:
    After a disappointing result in Coversquirrel (scored 620 and still placed out of the T100). I decided to buy the two covers I needed to max green. Since he is a solid character and the two-three star transition is harder than ever, I didn't mind ponying up the bucks. My question is with all of the "good" two stars maxed, what would be a good pairing for him to help carry my two star team?

Thanks
    OBW likes strike tile generators, but if she only tanks blue she may not be much help.

I'm bored, so you get a full analysis on every single 2* character and how they work with blade! The main points we have to consider are:
    1. Blade purple and green is whats going to be carrying you. You do NOT want any characters that either have a primary red ability (since you won't be matching red to make blade thirsty) or purple.
    2. Blade also has a good black, so it would be a waste if you use a black character with Blade as well.
    3. AoE is a bonus with so many strike tiles.

Going down the list of 2* characters,
    Thor - top tier. Yellow / Green don't conflict and have a ton of strike tile synergy.
    Ares - Great. Yellow / Green don't conflict, red is a low priority.
    C. Storm - Great. Blue is awesome with strike tiles, and green doesn't conflict (although its not the greatest because it conflicts with strike tiles)
    Daken - Good. Blue synergizes with blade strike tiles, but he gets a lot worse when he can't tank for Blade.
    Wolvie - Average. Green doesn't conflict, but red is expensive and conflicts with thirst.
    M. Hawk - Poor. Red conflicts, and blade can't really match 5.
    OBW - Poor - purple conflicts directly, and an OBW without recon isn't really an OBW at all.
    MNM - Poor, purple conflicts directly.
    C Marvs - Eh.... Black conflicts, red and yellow are unexciting.
    Torch - Blech. Black conflicts, red is his best ability.
    Moonstone / Cap / Bullseye / Bagman - who cares because they suck.

Based off of this, I would say the only real contenders for pairings are Thor / Ares / C. Storm / Daken.
    Thor / Blade is probably the best overall duo with Ares probably slightly stronger on defense.
    For the trio in PvE, Thor + Blade + C. Storm is probably the best way to go: strike tiled wind storm seems pretty insane.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2015
    Options
    vudu3 wrote:
    Does anyone know how much damage Nightstalker at 5 covers will do on a level 89 Blade?

I have a level 40, 5/0/0 Blade I use to send out TUs. It would cost just shy of 30K ISO to bring him to level 89 which is his soft cap. I'm wondering if it's worth the cost for the extra damage--probably not.

I have 3 Thirst covers sitting in my queue right now. I could add those with the plan to eventually bring him to 5/0/5, level 140. At that point the TU would probably do around 1,500 damage. But that's a lot of ISO to spend on a TU and I'm not sure if I really like my alliancemates that much. icon_e_wink.gif

It's 1126 at level 89.

Here's the rest of the 5 cover black I can find in my alliance:

Level 70: 926
    Lvl 78: 1018
    L95: 1211
    L100: 1264
    L110: 1363
    L129: 1537

Plotting and grabbing the linear trendline, formula is 217.36 + 10.213*Level, with an R^2 of .996. In case anyone is geeky like that.
    Power 2 polynomial has a better fit (R^2 = .9997), equation Damage = -.0141*Level^2 + 13.139 * Level +84.32
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So, I was actually considering going after Blade's purple in this current PVP with the new reward structure. Alas my hopes were dashed when I realized Blade really doesn't play well with Hulk/Patch. Still don't have a functional XF besides 5 black and only 5 covers of 4hor. No other way to speed through matches before retals unless I wanted to spend about twice as much in shields on my climb from 600-900, which might end up being 1200 hp anyways for how slow my other options would be.

Very tempted to just get the last green and purple covers because the upgrade from 3 to 4 green was amazing and I was 2 of those purple suckers. I am excited about the thought of swimming in both those tiles that much more. Better investment than chipping away at the XF cover issue to go from 2 to 3 green? Those are my options atm with some HP to burn and it doesn't even seem close to just drop them in blade. He's already a pve staple for goon nodes w falcon and daken.

F2P player that has bought only 1 other cover (5th hood blue) ever. So kind of a big decision here icon_e_smile.gif
  • Quebbster wrote:

Thanks

I'm bored, so you get a full analysis on every single 2* character and how they work with blade! The main points we have to consider are:
    1. Blade purple and green is whats going to be carrying you. You do NOT want any characters that either have a primary red ability (since you won't be matching red to make blade thirsty) or purple.
    2. Blade also has a good black, so it would be a waste if you use a black character with Blade as well.

Thor - top tier. Yellow / Green don't conflict and have a ton of strike tile synergy.
    C. Storm - Great. Blue is awesome with strike tiles, and green doesn't conflict (although its not the greatest because it conflicts with strike tiles)
    Daken - Good. Blue synergizes with blade strike tiles, but he gets a lot worse when he can't tank for Blade.
    Wolvie - Average. Green doesn't conflict, but red is expensive and conflicts with thirst.
    OBW - Poor - purple conflicts directly, and an OBW without recon isn't really an OBW at all.

Based off of this, I would say the only real contenders for pairings are Thor / Ares / C. Storm / Daken.
    Thor / Blade is probably the best overall duo with Ares probably slightly stronger on defense.
    For the trio in PvE, Thor + Blade + C. Storm is probably the best way to go: strike tiled wind storm seems pretty insane.
    Hmmm. cStorm+mnMags+blade is awesome. You dont get to fire off blade purple but you get a giant cstorm blue. I'll frequently put in blade when I'm running magstique because of the strike tiles and because he tanks.
  • ruinedcause
    Options
    Quebbster wrote:

Thanks

I'm glad that I can benefit from your boredom. This information is valuable so thank you for taking the time out to help me build a team. My Blade won't be doing any real damage until I can find someone else to level up with him (to mitigate PvE scaling) and until I have the ISO to level him. This is most definitely a good start though.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    When Polarity is bored, everyone wins. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • I think he might be my favorite boosted character ever. At the very least he's top5. Cmags is also a blast when boosted.
  • I'm bored, so you get a full analysis on every single 2* character and how they work with blade! The main points we have to consider are:

My problem with relying on Blade this way is it you can't use him against enemies who like red as they will keep Thirst relatively unusable, and/or you will get hit with their red abilities, eg: Thor, IM35, boosted Moonstone.

Underlevelled Blade blacktile.pngpurpletile.pnggreentile.png with 2*:
    OBW purpletile.pngbluetile.pngblacktile.png - keep Blade under about 105, (or 95 if you use a 2/5/5 OBW) so that OBW still tanks Blue and Purple for double dip espionage.
    Daken blacktile.pngpurpletile.pngbluetile.png : keep Blade under about 104 so that Daken still tanks Black and Purple.

I'm loving Daken/Wolverine/Blade for long play; plus with active abilities in all but yellow (which you save for healing) they work really well in the AP denial game. Purple is pretty much a game over even with boosted enemies.

Moonstone: Horrible, with conflicts in all her colours.
    Cap: Pretty bad as red is his best.

Considering the new data regarding AP steal, I might switch my vote to 5/3/5, as multiple colors steals adds to the complexity. Black's working decent at 4, but could be more useful at 5. Will test more when I get the next black cover.
  • I have actually had alot of luck running Blade with 2* Wolverine (Blade at 5/2/3 due to how covers have come)

I have regularly been able to get 10 strike tiles on the board between the two of them with Purple hitting for over 1k.

It also gives you options for red. If they are scattered, let Thirst pick them up. If the enemey team needs red, or its your only god matches, then you have Wolvie's red to use the AP.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    daibar wrote:

My problem with relying on Blade this way is it you can't use him against enemies who like red as they will keep Thirst relatively unusable, and/or you will get hit with their red abilities, eg: Thor, IM35, boosted Moonstone.

Underlevelled Blade blacktile.pngpurpletile.pnggreentile.png with 2*:
    OBW purpletile.pngbluetile.pngblacktile.png - keep Blade under about 105, (or 95 if you use a 2/5/5 OBW) so that OBW still tanks Blue and Purple for double dip espionage.
    Daken blacktile.pngpurpletile.pngbluetile.png : keep Blade under about 104 so that Daken still tanks Black and Purple.

I'm loving Daken/Wolverine/Blade for long play; plus with active abilities in all but yellow (which you save for healing) they work really well in the AP denial game. Purple is pretty much a game over even with boosted enemies.

Moonstone: Horrible, with conflicts in all her colours.
    Cap: Pretty bad as red is his best.

Considering the new data regarding AP steal, I might switch my vote to 5/3/5, as multiple colors steals adds to the complexity. Black's working decent at 4, but could be more useful at 5. Will test more when I get the next black cover.

If you're keeping Blade underleveled then he's not going to be that much better than an equivalent 2*. The difference between 3 and 5 purple is so big damage wise that you would be crazy to not go 3/5/5. 700 damage on black and the ap steal is almost never going to be as good as +1.5k damage per turn on your purple if you're a 2* player relying on purple to carry you through games.
  • Still trying to work out my 3* team with Blade. Patch & Laken can sustain pretty well. Falcon & LThor are strong. Hood & LThor?
  • SirPhobos wrote:
    Still trying to work out my 3* team with Blade. Patch & Laken can sustain pretty well. Falcon & LThor are strong. Hood & LThor?

Using him with any red user means the ai will be constantly matching red. If your blade is undercovered and/ or underlevelled this is fine, but if you want him to actually do stuff, it's not
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Using Blade with red users is fine. He has a lot of good partners but XF tends to destroy the board a lot, unfortunately, and 4or doesn't benefit at all from Blade's red tile hogging. So his best running mates are indeed lazy Thor, lazy Cap, lazy Daken, Patch, Hood, Spider-Man, Fury, Falcon, Grocket, the likes. Anyone who doesn't smash the board or friendly tiles too much. My fav full rainbow teams with him are (insert red/green hitter)/Spider-Man, lazyThor/Grocket, Daken, Spidey or cMags, Patch/cMags.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Playing with him in PvP wasn't really all that fun for me. There weren't a whole lot of opposing formations where I was comfortable leaving a board full of red. And people seemed to realize this, since there seemed to be more HTs and DPs out there than usual. I love him in goon PvE nodes, but in PvP, it felt very constraining, and he didn't really contribute a whole lot. If anything, it seemed like a better idea to keep reds off the board so NEITHER side got their strike tiles out. That way you limit the match damage you end up taking before you get your nukes off.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    If you have trouble vs pure goon nodes, you can think about maxing Blade black. But that would mean you lack such characters as lazy Captain America, cStorm, Mohawk and modern Storms, oBW, MMN, Falcon, mBW and cHawkeye (???). Not to mention many others that only excel in PvE and goon PvE to be specific (hello Octopus and She-Hulk and Bag-Man and IW).
    For real fights, 3/5/5 is the ultimate kitty. I run 3/5/5 Blade, Hood and lazy Thor against one of those essentials with Ares, Moonstone and Venom, lvl 232, and have to fake taking damage by the end since between Hood's denial, Blade's match damage and Thor's attacks I often kill the enemies too fast. I am not targeting Nightstalker since it drains the enemy's strongest colour quickly if it survives at all, so it's sitting there useless for long periods of time, whereas Blade purple and green do a ton of work. I am very confident when running 3/5/5 Blade/a core heavy hitter against non-trivial PvE nodes because I know that even if the heavy keels over, Blade can finish the job just fine if not faster than the heavy. That's compared to lazy Thor, the strongest 3* out there, who's currently buffed by 90 levels in the PvE!
    And 3/5/5 Blades were obnoxious in his event as expected. Often I was better off targeting a maxed 3/5/5 Blade over a maxed X-Force! Who I usually target over everyone else (except oBW, Hood and Loki). One of the very few 3* characters to merit attention in their featured events even in the 4* meta.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2015
    Options
    locked wrote:
    I am very confident when running 3/5/5 Blade/a core heavy hitter against non-trivial PvE nodes because I know that even if the heavy keels over, Blade can finish the job just fine if not faster than the heavy. That's compared to lazy Thor, the strongest 3* out there, who's currently buffed by 90 levels in the PvE!

I fully agree with that assessment on blade. I ran a 355 max blade, max lthor and 120 falcon against the all goon node, and it worked better than expected. Leave red on board, go for yellow and inspiration buff up the strike tiles. Gather enough yellow to cast thunder strike.

In fact, 355 blade is so effective and fun that I found myself running daken/ blade instead of the old combo of Lcap/ Hood!
  • over_clocked
    Options
    tGsqaP2l.png

I wonder how is it possible, Blade triggering The Thirst against heavy red users (Moonstone, Juggernaut and Ares)?
    Oh right! The AI doesn't always prioritize its best colours!

PS: lvl 260. No boosts or team-ups used.
  • bdksni1
    bdksni1 Posts: 103
    Options
    Hi there. I currently have a lvl 140 5/4/3 blade. was thinking on maxing him to lvl 166 5/5/3 in order to attack pvp, paired with lcap (166 3/5/5) which is my onlymaxed char. My question is if it is worth it to place t10-25 on pvp regularly? Other question will my scalling on pve go over the top by having 2maxed chars?