*** Blade (Daywalker) ***

1192021222325»

Comments

  • SpiritclawSpiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Spiritclaw wrote:
    While his green power won't properly feed his pink with only three covers, there's more than one solution to that problem. Consider who you want to team him with. If your chosen team has another strike tile generator and no active black, 5/5/3 might be the way to go. If you don't have another strike tile generator and do have another active black, 3/5/5 is probably a better choice.
    Reality of the situation, there are only a few strike tile generators with ANY noticable speed in creating strike tiles...
    Laken who has fallen off due to health...but covers Blade a bit with True Healing
    BP isn't too bad, but they will fight over black...
    Patch works to a point. Due to feeding Blade purple, usually the purple tiles left o nthe board are in hard to reach places, and that's where those purple strike tiles will pop up...hard to match, and takign up sapce that YOUR attack tiles need....
    Gamora, though I admit to not having her...
    RnG...solid synergy, though nothign scary...
    Psylocke bumps heads at 4 strike tiles...and needs red to get those...
    Punisher is cheap, but blows up the board, possible erasing the strikes you already have...and fights for black use...and these days, people put 5 in red for Punisher, so they plan to use it...


    And the rest don't make enough tiles (Sentry) or are slow about it. So it really boils down to Laken, RnG, and possible Patch (worse defense than Laken, will kill quicker though). That's pretty limiting. But if you go 3/5/5 with Blade...it hardly matters...all that's important is that you can get to the I thin kit was 6 strike tiles you want....which is as little as 3 moves.
    - Unreall

    Good points. R&G is my 5/5/3 Blade's main running partner, and Blade's also enjoyed some green patch team ups. Usually Falcon comes along, giving them actives on Black, Purple, Blue, and Green, two passives that can trigger on yellow, and preferring to leave the red on the board. In long matches (such as Enchilada) the AP steal and buffed up special tiles help a lot.
  • Yeah Blade/Falcon are pretty much MVPs of Big Enchilada.

    Throw in Rogers or CMags for 'total Pwnage'
    - Unreall
  • snlf25snlf25 Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    Made the incredibly difficult decision to respec my Blade to 4/5/4 the other day when I finally got my 4th green cover. He was very useful at 5/5/3 now he is much less so and I hope I wont regret it. And I hope I get that fifth green cover without having to wait months for it to come back around in DDQ.
  • TxMooseTxMoose Age Unconfirmed Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    snlf25 wrote:
    Made the incredibly difficult decision to respec my Blade to 4/5/4 the other day when I finally got my 4th green cover. He was very useful at 5/5/3 now he is much less so and I hope I wont regret it. And I hope I get that fifth green cover without having to wait months for it to come back around in DDQ.
    just got my 5th green and its nuts. haven't tried yet, but daken/blade/witch should just eat through people.
  • PhaserhawkPhaserhawk Age Unconfirmed Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    My Blade like most is 3/5/5, however, with the shift to 4*'s and 5*'s, I have been reevaluating my 3*'s to optimize PvP play. So with that, I was wondering what the best PvP build for Blade is in current meta. My thought......

    5/5/3

    Between duos of Greybuster, Icebuster, redclops, redice, greyclops, etc, the amount of red on the board is very, very minimal. In my SHIELD SIM testing, I get Blade's red to trigger maybe twice in a match. I have also been thinking about 5/3/5, but in PvE 5/3/5 is really weak. You can at least compensate a 5/5/3 Blade with Daken or IF to generate strike tiles to get his purple at max efficiency.

    In the last Blade PvP I was able to get his purple going because Cyclops was boosted and he could flood the board with red, but when I ran him with Greybuster, red almost never triggered, and I never found myself using his purple either. There were times I used his black and wished it was at max level, which is where I began thinking about switching him. In current PvP meta his black is more useful then anything else, because if you have Iceman, Jean Grey or RedHulk, there is no reason to use Blade's purple, thus why a 5/3/5 is strong in that situation, but PvE 5/3/5 is really weak because you can compensate for green by running with Daken or IF.

    Thoughts?

    Do you guys think
    5/3/5 is the better PvP or 5/5/3? Again my reasoning for 5/3/5 is that I would almost never use his purple, but the reason for 5/5/3 in PvP is that if you run him with another red user, like Hulkbuster or Cyclops, you aren't leaving enough red on the board for it to trigger.

    All I know is that I have 2 black covers of Blade from this Hulk PvE from tokens, so I know it's fate telling me, but I don't know whether to go 5/5/3 or 5/3/5 to optimize his PvP.

    Again, I do feel 3/5/5 is the strongest standalone build, as well as the best PvE build, but I'm going PvP power.
  • vudu3vudu3 Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Even boosted and at 5 covers Nightstalker just doesn't do that much damage. And the extra 1 AP stolen sure isn't enough to warrant using Nightstalker over a better black ability. Unless Blade has your team's only active black you're just not going to be firing it that often.

    I think you're better off keeping 3/5/5 and ignoring all of his actives unless you get lucky and happen to get a bunch of strike tiles on the board. If this happens, chase 10 purple AP, fire off KYEC, sit back and watch the enemy team die.
  • PhaserhawkPhaserhawk Age Unconfirmed Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    vudu3 wrote:
    Even boosted and at 5 covers Nightstalker just doesn't do that much damage. And the extra 1 AP stolen sure isn't enough to warrant using Nightstalker over a better black ability. Unless Blade has your team's only active black you're just not going to be firing it that often.

    I think you're better off keeping 3/5/5 and ignoring all of his actives unless you get lucky and happen to get a bunch of strike tiles on the board. If this happens, chase 10 purple AP, fire off KYEC, sit back and watch the enemy team die.

    While I do not disagree, there are many times where Nightstalker is better, there are times where going IMHB black to red is overkill and Nightstalker + Repulsor and AP steal is huge, especially in that PVP you could get your black back to go into Overdrive. But in regards to KYEC, why not use JG's and do the dmg all at once instead of 3 turns? Leaving red on the board is bad nowadays and in most of my tests with a good red user it just doesn't trigger very often. Now that being said, purple is the only skill that's just terrible at 3, the others are serviceable , which is where the 3/5/5 or 5/5/3?comes into play
  • GrumpySmurf1002GrumpySmurf1002 Age Unconfirmed Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Do you guys think
    5/3/5 is the better PvP or 5/5/3? Again my reasoning for 5/3/5 is that I would almost never use his purple, but the reason for 5/5/3 in PvP is that if you run him with another red user, like Hulkbuster or Cyclops, you aren't leaving enough red on the board for it to trigger.

    If I'm talking PvP only, 5 purple only makes real sense with 5 green, so I'd never consider 5/5/3.

    With IMHB, Kingpin, XForce, I'd prefer 3/5/5.
    Without, 5/3/5.

    The thing is, most 4* PvP teams include IMHB. RHulk/Cyclops and XDP/Thing are the only combinations you see (ok that I see) that aren't some combination of IMHB and a P/G user.

    Add in OML (who obviously also favors black) and I think you're much safer with 3/5/5, even if you never use Blade's purple either. It may not be better than RHulk/JG's purple persay, but it's a more viable alternative in its color than using Blade's black ahead of Overdrive/Finger of Death/Surgical
  • TxMooseTxMoose Age Unconfirmed Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    before I finished my green on him I had 5 black and found it most useful in pve with multiple goons that made lots of ap on one color (snipers and put ares or torch with him). back then I wasn't pvp heavy and was a 3* player and 3*s strongest colors don't always match up with powerful abilities (i.e. thor red, kk yellow, fist green, cap yellow, etc) so I found it much less usefull in pvp. in 4* play, strongest color is much more often a stronger ability (hb, jean, 4thor, carnage, thing, xpool, ice, etc...) so denying that has more function. I haven't found a great high-end use for blade yet so mine isn't even maxed - still at 140, but I do use him in pve some. not sure how much help that was, but there it is.
  • MalcrofMalcrof GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    TxMoose wrote:
    before I finished my green on him I had 5 black and found it most useful in pve with multiple goons that made lots of ap on one color (snipers and put ares or torch with him). back then I wasn't pvp heavy and was a 3* player and 3*s strongest colors don't always match up with powerful abilities (i.e. thor red, kk yellow, fist green, cap yellow, etc) so I found it much less usefull in pvp. in 4* play, strongest color is much more often a stronger ability (hb, jean, 4thor, carnage, thing, xpool, ice, etc...) so denying that has more function. I haven't found a great high-end use for blade yet so mine isn't even maxed - still at 140, but I do use him in pve some. not sure how much help that was, but there it is.

    Boosted in PVP, the last thing you use if you have 4*s is his purple. 5/3/5 if you are pairing with JG or Rulk
  • lukewinlukewin Age Unconfirmed Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    My Blade like most is 3/5/5, however, with the shift to 4*'s and 5*'s, I have been reevaluating my 3*'s to optimize PvP play. So with that, I was wondering what the best PvP build for Blade is in current meta. My thought......

    5/5/3

    Your timing is impeccable. I'm in the same position myself and came to the same conclusion. I had a 140 and a 120 3/5/5 Blade. Since my 120 3/5/5 would be sufficient for PVE, and like your reasoning, bringing Daken along with the PVP Blade would make him viable in PVE, I changed to 4/5/4 on my 140. Then I saw the damage increase (at 140, 4 black - 1197, 5 black - 1657 + extra AP drain), so I wanted to go to 5/x/x, but wasn't sure where to drop the next cover. The drop from 5 to 4 green wasn't as bad, but a drop to 3 means 1 less strike tile and a drop to 4 purple means 1 less attack tile. I also came to the conclusion of a 5/5/3. I've got a purple and 2 green covers, in case I change my mind, but I do think I'm going to wait until I get another black, and drop it to 5/5/3.
  • PhaserhawkPhaserhawk Age Unconfirmed Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    The more I test, the more I find myself torn, but I have determined 1000% that 5 black is where I need to be. I'm just torn on where to drop. I was leaning 5/5/3 but after PvP testing 5/3/5 is the way to go. 5/5/3 only works with Daken as I do get some strike tiles with 5 green, but I never use KYEC
  • vudu3vudu3 Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    But in regards to KYEC, why not use JG's and do the dmg all at once instead of 3 turns?
    Because if you have one high-priority target to take out and he has 6,000 health JG's not going to do the job. KYEC will.
  • Rick_OShayRick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    mexus wrote:
    I finally overcome my hard feelings for Blade's silly appearance and he's my latest champ and I love him,
    he's great in this Luke Cage PVP tournament along with Falcon. What a trio for a 3* player.
    Blade can be an absolute beast. Ensure you spec him at 3/5/5.
    You need to be placing 2 strike tiles each turn if possible, and his purple attack tiles are enormous. Setting black to level 3 is plenty when stealing 2 AP per turn (as opposed to stealing 3, that's just overkill). The damage component of his black is not worth setting this higher when you get so much damage with the other powers.
  • hopper1979hopper1979 Posts: 561 Critical Contributor
    Frankly I think the answer to this depends on what stage of the game you are in. If you are in 3 land go with the 5 pink, 3 black but if you jump into 3/4 transition or 4+ I would reverse it. That AP drain is great for slowing down opponents and you will probably have somebody else doing the majority of the damage. So look to see which group you think you are in try both and decide what works but anything to slow down a team in pvp is a bonus. The great thing is once championed you can switch depending on who he is partnered with as well, he is a great support character either way.
Sign In or Register to comment.