**** Thor (Goddess of Thunder) **** [PRE 2015-03]

Options

Comments

• vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm thinking 4/4/5.

You want at least 4 in yellow because anything less and it won't affect CD tiles. 5 in yellow doubles AOE damage but even then it's not that impressive so there's not much reason to go beyond 4.

5 in blue is just to great/interesting to pass up.

That means 4/4/5 is the only viable choice. Seems like she'll be a fun PVE character.
  • TheHueyFreeman
    TheHueyFreeman Posts: 472 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    vudu3 wrote:
    I'm thinking 4/4/5.

You want at least 4 in yellow because anything less and it won't affect CD tiles. 5 in yellow doubles AOE damage but even then it's not that impressive so there's not much reason to go beyond 4.

That means 4/4/5 is the only viable choice. Seems like she'll be a fun PVE character.
    But if you do that, her aoe damage is halved. I do love a good stun though...
  • I absolutely love the Charged Tile mechanic. Keeps the "Thor charges his powers with other powers" thing alive while not being overshadowing. 4* Thor is pretty good character design, which makes it all the more disappointing when they release someone like Doc Ock.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    vudu3 wrote:
    I'm thinking 4/4/5.

It affecting CD tiles is only useful in PvE: you could build her as a PvE character and have her be good in that situation, or you can try to maximize the effectiveness of her in PvP and go for the OHKOs. I also think you're understating the usefulness of 5 yellow in PvE: killing 3 vs 5 CD tiles is the difference between wiping out all the CD tiles on the board vs goons and not, a lot of the time. The increased damage also seems pretty good as well.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    vudu3 wrote:
    I'm thinking 4/4/5.

It affecting CD tiles is only useful in PvE: you could build her as a PvE character and have her be good in that situation, or you can try to maximize the effectiveness of her in PvP and go for the OHKOs. I also think you're understating the usefulness of 5 yellow in PvE: killing 3 vs 5 CD tiles is the difference between wiping out all the CD tiles on the board vs goons and not, a lot of the time. The increased damage also seems pretty good as well.

rank 5 yellow, all maggia enemies can suck it, especially muscle.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just updating the character / team combo list. What are some of her most compatible driads and triads?

Thanks!
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    yogi_ wrote:
    Just updating the character / team combo list. What are some of her most compatible driads and triads?

Thanks!

The main three I believe:
    X Force -> Non overlapping colors, RB is strong with X-Force as shown by cap/cmags, and surgical works with charged tiles (!!!)
    Hood - Twin Pistols + charged tiles = near infinite combos.
    Patch - Zerker rage into GT yellow = profit.

I would say that all other characters don't really synergize with her in any meaningful way: you really want to have characters that don't depending on red/blue/sort of yellow abilities, of which there aren't that many in the game. She also goes well with AP generators that destroy tiles, so Mohawk is a possibility (albeit a really **** one).
  • wymtime wrote:
    I have gotten to do 2 lightning rounds and took 2nd twice. Patch, Daken combo has been a good combo for me. I feel like I should run her with Hood to speed things up though as I wait for 9G, 9B, 10 R to destroy the other team.
    But yeah, her powers are awesome. Thorette with Xforce covers all colors except for purple. I often use Dpool for that, so I'm covered. 3 seasons, (or 90 some days), until we can get all colors. Seems like such a long wait, but she is more than worth it to me.

She will probably be part of the 1300 reward after season 7. She will probably have an offical release in Season 8.

An official release in a PvE, like other characters, just doesn't seem right to me. Don't get me wrong, I would love an official PvE release. But I'm thinking it will be more like Fury's release. One color given to the top 100 alliances for the next 3 seasons.  Then after that, Thorette will be the 1300 reward, or #1 rank award like Fury is now.

Ice confirmed that for the moment her release is going to mirror that of Fury's, who knows may potentially change.
    Edit: Confirmation on page 2 viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17199&start=20

And thanks for keeping tight-lipped JJ. All I will say is this icon_thor.pngicon_e_wink.gif
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    yogi_ wrote:

Thanks!

X Force -> Non overlapping colors, RB is strong with X-Force as shown by cap/cmags, and surgical works with charged tiles (!!!)

I would say that all other characters don't really synergize with her in any meaningful way: you really want to have characters that don't depending on red/blue/sort of yellow abilities, of which there aren't that many in the game. She also goes well with AP generators that destroy tiles, so Mohawk is a possibility (albeit a really **** one).

Wonderful, thank you - will add these now; even though she isn't brilliant, I might put Storm in the list as something for people just to try for themselves. [Given my 3* Storm embarassingly has no black as of this second, I must try Thor and M.Storm icon_lol.gificon_e_confused.gificon_cry.gif ]
  • yogi_ wrote:

Thanks!

Problem is that a team like Hood + X Force + Thor can only be fielded in exactly one typical PvP event: Unholy Outlaw. In all other events, this isn't even possible. If you pair her up with only one of the three, which is typically the case when there's a featured character forced on you, instead you get this:

The Hood: Thor doesn't do quite enough heavy lifting compared to the top PvP character when she's the only source of major damage, and has an identical structure to top PvP teams without any obvious advantage.
    X Force: Strong team but very vulnerable to Hood due to a large number of 4 match moves.
    Patch: Have both of the problems above while being a weaker version of the WR + Sacrifice combo (same colors, more AP to use, and not quite instant game over).

Yes, if you can just choose that third character it addresses all the issues, but you don't get to do that on most events. Perhaps it's time to look at the featured + 2 format, because this format does a very good job at preventing you from getting the third guy you need to cover your weaknesses.
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    GrimSkald wrote:
    I'm going to call her Thora. It's an entirely legitimate Scandinavian name.
    Lol - do feel free. But I will refer to you as "Mrs. Butterworth." Because that is also not your name. icon_e_smile.gif
  • vudu3 wrote:
    I'm thinking 4/4/5.

Can you explain why 5 blue is too great to pass up? The Charge tiles make keeping 9 blue between casts pretty trivial, so is a 3 turn stun vs a 4 turn stun isn't THAT big of a deal. Is it the 12 charge tiles? I feel like 12 might give too much away to the AI.

I voted for 5/4/4 but I could see 4/4/5. 4 to 5 red is what, 700 damage, which if you cast blue first is barely any damage, but if you can't cast blue first it is significant. Ability to affect CDs for Yellow is important, especially as a Sentry counter. I really don't think 12 Charge tiles for blue is a good idea, it accelerates BOTH sides of the fight, not just yours. I know the AI is dumb, but putting that much AP on the board might not end well for you.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    yogi_ wrote:

Thanks!

Problem is that a team like Hood + X Force + Thor can only be fielded in exactly one typical PvP event: Unholy Outlaw. In all other events, this isn't even possible. If you pair her up with only one of the three, which is typically the case when there's a featured character forced on you, instead you get this:

The Hood: Thor doesn't do quite enough heavy lifting compared to the top PvP character when she's the only source of major damage, and has an identical structure to top PvP teams without any obvious advantage.
    X Force: Strong team but very vulnerable to Hood due to a large number of 4 match moves.
    Patch: Have both of the problems above while being a weaker version of the WR + Sacrifice combo (same colors, more AP to use, and not quite instant game over).

Yes, if you can just choose that third character it addresses all the issues, but you don't get to do that on most events. Perhaps it's time to look at the featured + 2 format, because this format does a very good job at preventing you from getting the third guy you need to cover your weaknesses.

So first of all, Yogi simply asked for the best characters that mesh with her, not whether or not it was top tier. If we want to go by your logic, then it's useless to discuss any new character that doesn't beat out Sentry Hood or XF Hood featured (which is pretty much going to be every single character released from now till eternity). I was simply listing the characters that I thought had the most synergy with her, not the ones that I think will actually dethrone XF Hood, and I think those 3 characters have more synergy with her than any other character in the game.

Secondly, yeah. Looking at her a little more closely, you're totally right. Outside of XF LadyThor Hood, she doesn't actually fit into any team comps that are superior to featured / XF / Hood. So I dunno, maybe the hype train has been derailed. Maybe we should just accept the fact that no character released is ever going to be better than XF / Hood or Sentry / Hood, and just stop posting at all on the forums.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:
    Ability to affect CDs for Yellow is important, especially as a Sentry counter.

How does affecting CD tiles counter Sentry in any way? You don't die when 12 WR tiles go off, you die when 7 WR + sacrifice goes off, at which point affecting CD tiles seems like it actually does the opposite of countering Sentry, since you want to kill the strike tiles, not the CD tiles, and 3 yellow will kill the sacrifice tile for sure whereas 5 yellow won't.
    Lerysh wrote:
    Can you explain why 5 blue is too great to pass up? The Charge tiles make keeping 9 blue between casts pretty trivial, so is a 3 turn stun vs a 4 turn stun isn't THAT big of a deal. Is it the 12 charge tiles? I feel like 12 might give too much away to the AI.

Playing in the LRs, did you ever get a point where you stunned a guy, had 2 charge tiles spawn on blue tiles that you could immediately match, generating enough AP for you to instantly stun the other guy on the team as well? Well with 5 blue, that'll happen like 80% of the time you cast the ability instead of the 40% it does now, since it should cover nearly every blue tile on the board. What do you care if the enemy team gets +3 ap for a turn when you just stun lock/smite them to death?

• So first of all, Yogi simply asked for the best characters that mesh with her, not whether or not it was top tier. If we want to go by your logic, then it's useless to discuss any new character that doesn't beat out Sentry Hood or XF Hood featured (which is pretty much going to be every single character released from now till eternity). I was simply listing the characters that I thought had the most synergy with her, not the ones that I think will actually dethrone XF Hood, and I think those 3 characters have more synergy with her than any other character in the game.

Secondly, yeah. Looking at her a little more closely, you're totally right. Outside of XF LadyThor Hood, she doesn't actually fit into any team comps that are superior to featured / XF / Hood. So I dunno, maybe the hype train has been derailed. Maybe we should just accept the fact that no character released is ever going to be better than XF / Hood or Sentry / Hood, and just stop posting at all on the forums.

It's fine to play this game for something more than just trying to win as fast as possible but if the best characters that goes well with someone is all the top tier characters then you've to look at the context of whether this team is competitive with top tier. It'd be easier to make a list of characters that don't work well with The Hood (Daken and Falcon, that's it). She seems to be designed to go well with the top tier characters but she doesn't quite replace them, so you end up with a slightly weaker version of the top tier team if you sub her out for X Force/Sentry's role (and subbing anyone out for Hood is taking a huge risk). I don't think this means there's no point to release new characters and I think some small tweaks to X Force plus an impending Sentry nerf would make her competitive for the 'not Hood' slot. As for The Hood, I have no idea what's happening to him because his support ability is just unparalleled. I think Surgical Strike is a bit too good since it creates all kinds of crazy combos by itself. If it's tuned down a bit you'd probably be looking at an ability matchup like:

Smite vs X Force - Smite does more damage (usually), but X Force creates better cascades and can double as tile removal.
    Power Surge versus Recovery - Although true healing is quite overpowered, it has no real impact in the middle of a game so Power Surge has a small edge.
    Striking Distance versus Surgical Strike - Surgical Strike is going to be top tier even with a nerf but as long as it's not the current game-ender ability it is, it can be better than Striking Distance (not terribly hard) but not so much to completely make the fact that Recovery is not useful in mid game irrelevent.

Right now Surgical Strike is effectively an instant kill move, sometimes on more than one guy, and Thor 4* or anyone else that isn't Sentry doesn't have anything that can touch that, and the other two moves X Force isn't exactly weak either. If Surgical Strike is no longer an instant kill move you'd have more interesting tradeoffs.
  • Has anone suggested "Thorette" yet? icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Hands down one of the best characters in the game by far. Like its been said, at lvl 100 she is pure fury, and I shudder to think the force she would deal at max. The best application of the game's mechanics by far.
  • Lerysh wrote:
    vudu3 wrote:
    I'm thinking 4/4/5.

I'd agree if I hadn't been playing against the AI controlling Goddess all day. The AI straight up ignores the fact that some tiles are charged. This means it's actually a huge advantage - sometimes you'll be really unlucky and a 4 or 5 in like will get charged after you made your match, but since you can see all the charged tiles before you make your match, that's extremely unlikely.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    I've gone with GT (for Goddess Thor).

It seems like the obvious choice: short, sweet, fits into an existing abbreviation schema (XF, LT, UD, HT, BP, etc.), and conflicts with no one.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've been playing her with 2* Wolverine and 2* Daken. Holy ballsack.

Her + 3* Daken + The Hood is going to be nasty.
This discussion has been closed.