**** Thor (Goddess of Thunder) **** [PRE 2015-03]

Options
1232425262729»

Comments

• KrazyKeylime
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    gamar wrote:

You didn't "note" it, you said it's "sad." And no, the fact that the majority of players in pretty much any game are always going to say they prefer a more powerful version of an ability/character over a less powerful one isn't worth noting or meaningful at all.

Asking player for their opinion on nerfs is like the commercial where they asked a bunch of kids do they want a bigger or smaller version of, well, anything.
    most are taking it seriously, only 6 out of 61 choose the most powerful version. over half 37 voted for 7-8 charge tiles
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Options
    gamar wrote:
    Raffoon wrote:
    Raffoon wrote:
    So far, 2 of 28 votes are for what the devs are actually doing...... pretty sad icon_e_sad.gif
    tanis3303 wrote:
    How much you wanna bet those two votes are from players that don't have her?

Stop shaming people whose disagree with you. The whole point of a poll is to see the general community thoughts, not to be a circlejerk of "they nerfed 4or too hard, clearly it should be a smaller nerf". Unpopular opinions should be able to be voiced as well without everyone jumping on them.

It didn't seem like Tanis was shaming or jumping on those people. If he said "How much you wanna bet those two votes are from players that don't have her? Those people must be terrible people", then that would be one thing.

Right now it seems like he was putting forth the hypothesis that people voting for the currently planned changes are more likely to not have 4Thor. That seems like a reasonable hypothesis, although it seems based on further comments that it wasn't correct for a least 1 of the 2 people.

Edit: And if you were directing your comment towards me, it's the same thing. Those 2 people are certainly entitled to their views, but they sure don't seem to match the majority and that's well worth noting.

You didn't "note" it, you said it's "sad." And no, the fact that the majority of players in pretty much any game are always going to say they prefer a more powerful version of an ability/character over a less powerful one isn't worth noting or meaningful at all.

Again, I voiced my opinion that the developers' choice not matching community opinion is sad. That is in no way shaming anyone else. Please don't project any feelings of shame you might otherwise hold onto my comment.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    For the record, I wasn't trying to be a ****, and personally I voted 3 turn stun, 7 charge tiles. Because that seems fair for what should be a powerful character. My guess was that anyone voting for the over-nerf of only 5 tiles would be players that either havent played with Thor, are tired of playing against Thor, or both. Turns out I was mistaken, my bad. i have played with a version of Thor that only made 5 charged tiles for some time before I broke down and got the rest of her covers, and she's simply not good. Magneto throws around more damage than a 5 tile making Thor, and has board shake on top of it.

But the devs have drawn a line in the sand, they don't want 4* characters to be powerful. That's fine, at least now I know, so I can stop spending resources on them.
  • Generic angry guy response really. You're shouting about a the nerf when she isn't exactly unusable with the changes. I think the blue has taken slightly too much of a hit, someone said 8 charged tiles, I agree. Just because you've spent money on it, doesn't stop it from being bad for the game. Would probably be a larger uproar if xforce was balanced again, but tbh he needs it. For all other characters to be obsolete for anyone who can spend a bit of money on thor/xforce, it makes no sense. They want to get away from that 1 or 2 characters that matter, I'd rather have 5 combinations of characters that would take down a good enemy rather than "If you dont use xforce/thor, you lose"

You want the 'pay to win' method, spend your money, get the nuke team but to what end... using different characters brings a different level of enjoyment rather than constantly doing the same thing over and over. You're fighting a losing battle and threatening to go to apple/google is just pathetic. It's not the worst change ever to hit MPQ, if you like playing the game then you shut up.

Again is not about paying to win I was pisses when they did it to Hood Daken Sentry Magneto the fact they cheat us is the main problem here. Tell me friend if you paid for lets say 10 cover and the ISO would half the ISO and HP for one cover do it ? They say it's for the good of the game but anyone with a brain can see it's for money. They want to sell Professor X over her. As for Apple pathetic treat they reply said they will be investigating it and see what other complaints they got, refunded me ALL THE MONEY I PUT IN TO THE GAME ALL. Ask me not to but any more money into the game so DELETED I did. Just you wait X-Force will be soon mark my words. One thing you have to remember in a fight you have to try Apple and Google have terms too guess what cheating their customers is not one of them. I clearly explain what we pay and what they pay us in the BUY BACK that's all they needed to hear. Have not email Google yet want to build a little more with apple first.
  • KrazyKeylime
    Options
    what if smite's missing damage was added to power surge
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Options

Not a bad idea, and thanks for keeping it constructive!

In terms of power, I think that adding some more of the lost damage from smite could be a step in the right direction.

Personally, in terms of gameplay and fun, I think that charged tiles are the thing that makes Thor fun and unique. The more charged tiles there are, the more you get to interact with the mechanic, and the more fun the character is to play.

Since the additional damage on Power Surge would have to come out of the skill's budget, I think it would be more fun to have more charged tiles in play, rather than do that damage up front on Power Surge itself.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Raffoon wrote:

Not a bad idea, and thanks for keeping it constructive!

In terms of power, I think that adding some more of the lost damage from smite could be a step in the right direction.

Personally, in terms of gameplay and fun, I think that charged tiles are the thing that makes Thor fun and unique. The more charged tiles there are, the more you get to interact with the mechanic, and the more fun the character is to play.

Since the additional damage on Power Surge would have to come out of the skill's budget, I think it would be more fun to have more charged tiles in play, rather than do that damage up front on Power Surge itself.

Smite's missing damage should be rolled into Striking Distance. It's very clear that the designers wanted to keep the slow, heavy hitter archetype - to be in-line with her 2* and 3* counterparts; but they also wanted to introduce the charged tile mechanic as a way to fuel her expensive abilities. Charged Tiles were meant to replace the outright tile generation of Mjolnir's Might and Thunder Strike - since those abilities can create cascades, but CTs require you to still make the matches to get the bonus AP.

Charged Tiles were undercosted, AND they fell into the same problems as Web-tiles, being a non-AP resource which either team can make use of. I posted my rework previously, and I referenced it above when I said that you need to consider her whole movepool. Charged Tiles should still be used to accelerate damage and AP, but they also need to avoid infinite loops. I think the easiest way to achieve that is to charge colours different to the AP required for the ability (eg. Blue AP doesn't create Blue Charged Tiles).

Reposting, here's my rework on Thor's abilities.
    Note: First, these are presented out of order, since I made a significant change to Yellow. No need to change her strengths, this was just a formatting issue. Secondly, taking another look at these, I think I'd reduce the cost on Red and Blue by 1AP, and increase the cost of Yellow by ~2AP.

TL;DR Version: Make Smite cheaper, less damager, creates up to 6 Blue & Yellow CT. Make Power Surge cheaper, stuns up to 3, converts enemy special tiles to basic red or yellow tiles (up to 4), charged up to 4 red/yellow CT. Make Striking Distance an expensive multi-strike AoE that uses up Charged Tiles.
    :redflag: Smite (Active Red, 7 AP)
    lower damage, no increase based on Charged Tiles, charges up to 6 tiles (Blue and Yellow only)

blueflag.pngPower Surge (Active Blue, 10 AP)
    stun caps at 3 tuns, converts up to 4 enemy special tiles into basic red or yellow tiles, charges up to 4 tiles (Red and Yellow only)

yellowflag.pngStriking Distance (Active Yellow, 12 AP)
    I want to change the mechanics of this ability to something unique, but which mirrors the way in which Thor attacks multiple enemies in the comics so far.

Thor throws Mjolnir and it flies about the battlefield, bouncing from one enemy to the next.
    Deals X damage to target enemy and pushes them to the back of their team. Destroy a random Charged Tile (does not generate AP) and attack again.

Additional ranks would increase damage and the number of charged tiles Mjolnir will ricochet off - up to all (?) charged tiles.

This is a unique way to deal "team" damage, by firing off multiple attacks but switching target each time. I think maybe the first hit should be a big hit (maybe ~4k damage) and then each additional hit at a weaker (~1k) damage value.

Smite and Surge power each other (but not themselves) and build towards Striking Distance. I pushed the special tile removal onto Surge, but you'll still likely get the full effect of the charged tiles even if the opponent has no specials. Smite is a lot more spammable, and you want to use it to fuel Yellow and pump charged tiles so you can unleash team damage with a huge Mjolnir ricochet.

I think you'd also need to consider exactly how to build a Thor with those powers. Smite and Surge at rank 5 will help fuel your damage ability faster, but it'll be weaker/richochet less at Rank 3. Pushing striking distance to rank 5 will maximise damage, etc.
  • nonnel
    nonnel Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It should charge my cellphone every time I cast it. That's what it should do
  • what if smite's missing damage was added to power surge

Um... this would be a really excellent idea actually. If Smite did like 3,000 damage for 9 AP plus the stun and charge tiles Thor would be back on track for me. You can add the damage to Power Surge, or to Smite itself, but she needs that 3k back.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So, while the nerf hammer hasn't officially dropped quite yet, today is D-Day...a moment of silence please for our beloved Goddess, she will be missed.

1irV1BWM.jpg
  • A commemoration to end of Women's month. icon_e_sad.gif
  • ngoni
    ngoni Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Skull! icon_cry.gif