**** Thor (Goddess of Thunder) **** [PRE 2015-03]

Comments

• konannfriends
    konannfriends Posts: 246 Tile Toppler
    akiratang wrote:
    It does suck and we just have to adapt. But I've certainly lost motivation to play.

why... because you rich boys cant blow through the ranks as easy any more... laughable
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    You said red's base damage is bad but 4K for 10 is anything but bad.

She's still the second best character in the game. D3 went a bit harder on her than I would've, but even I can admit she needed something.
  • The first thing people do when a strong or overused character is nerfed is blame the people who recognized that their power was a problem.

Listen.

If Thor were not overpowered and a bunch of people called her overpowered, do you really think D3 would have nerfed her?

No.

When a character is used by every top tier player, is a must have on any team that wants to qualify for more than 1k points and has a choke hold on the meta, she's a problem.

You can judge on whether her overuse was based on perception or reality, but the fact of the matter is in a game like this....perception is reality.

If it looks overpowered, plays like its overpowered, and is perceived as being overpowered, then it probably is overpowered.

You can blame the people who pointed this out all you want.

But it's no one's fault but D3's. They are the ones who released an overpowered character. They are the ones who saw this overpowered character take over the meta. They are the ones that allowed people to buy her covers and ascend in PVP. They are the ones that never announced their intention to nerf her. And they are the ones who nerfed her.

Direct your anger at them, not anyone in the player base...
  • Arondite wrote:

She's still the second best character in the game. D3 went a bit harder on her than I would've, but even I can admit she needed something.

compared to Xforce's green AND black it's bad... it does a lot less damage than Fury's blue... it's barely better than Fury's purple and doesn't make a strike tile.... it's bad.
    onimus wrote:
    The first thing people do when a strong or overused character is nerfed is blame the people who recognized that their power was a problem.

Listen.

If Thor were not overpowered and a bunch of people called her overpowered, do you really think D3 would have nerfed her?

No.

When a character is used by every top tier player, is a must have on any team that wants to qualify for more than 1k points and has a choke hold on the meta, she's a problem.

You can judge on whether her overuse was based on perception or reality, but the fact of the matter is in a game like this....perception is reality.

If it looks overpowered, plays like its overpowered, and is perceived as being overpowered, then it probably is overpowered.

You can blame the people who pointed this out all you want.

But it's no one's fault but D3's. They are the ones who released an overpowered character. They are the ones who saw this overpowered character take over the meta. They are the ones that allowed people to buy her covers and ascend in PVP. They are the ones that never announced their intention to nerf her. And they are the ones who nerfed her.

Direct your anger at them, not anyone in the player base...

My irritation is those people mocked other posters who said they would break her and the CONSTANT complaining will egg them on to break her even harder. Pointed out she was OP is fine, just dismissing everyone saying that she'll be overnerfed if you keep constantly complaining as being crazy ppl, then being wrong is annoying. It happens every time as well, every time the general public are told to stop judging the devs on past behavior as if ppl are in the know... then the nerf comes and history repeats.
  • 4Thor needed a nerf but they did it again and over-nerfed. Their buffs are generally good, but their nerfs are almost always overboard.

4Thor just got D3'd.
  • It's simple. They have no idea why she's overpowered, so they made her all around worse.

They have no idea why mystique+mnmags is overpowered, so they made both characters worse.

They had no idea that Xavier yellow and IF purple were overpowered, so they just made them worse.

Notice a pattern?
  • akiratang wrote:
    It does suck and we just have to adapt. But I've certainly lost motivation to play.

why... because you rich boys cant blow through the ranks as easy any more... laughable

lol, no...because the game is broken and 4thor was the only way to get enough 3* to move the meter any. Back to getting 2 of the shittiest colors for a char per pvp. (indv. & alliance). Can't wait!
  • akiratang wrote:

Lol what's funny is you are playing to try and attain the same level of dominance...but now that carrot that has been dangling in front of your face is rotten now. Pretty funny indeed.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sure 4hor was near the top of the power curve but she was never broken by herself. Without a partner to alpha strike down the weakest char on the opponent team she is just a really slowly ticking atom bomb. Sure her health means you'd get the 18 blue and 10 red or 9 blue and 20 red, or whatever combination of other abilities that could take down another character ( plus the 9 blue, 10 red to combo out the rest), but obviously xforce does this best. Without him 4hor is fairly balanced since she is glacially slow. I find it comical everyone just ignores his existence and blames 4hor for being too good.
  • mohio wrote:
    Sure 4hor was near the top of the power curve but she was never broken by herself. Without a partner to alpha strike down the weakest char on the opponent team she is just a really slowly ticking atom bomb. Sure her health means you'd get the 18 blue and 10 red or 9 blue and 20 red, or whatever combination of other abilities that could take down another character ( plus the 9 blue, 10 red to combo out the rest), but obviously xforce does this best. Without him 4hor is fairly balanced since she is glacially slow. I find it comical everyone just ignores his existence and blames 4hor for being too good.

Nah. i was winning with 4thor, Loki, and a worthless loaner.

Start match with weakest/least threatening enemy, have match damage bring them down while you collect Red/Blue AP. Blue stun the 2nd strongest enemy, red kill the strongest enemy. Match charged blue tiles to stun the original weak enemy. Red kill the 2nd strongest, red kill the weak enemy. She could take on all 3 single handedly pretty much.
  • Her surge to smite combo now only does 7k+ ... That's 19ap, Luke cage can do 7k+ with 13ap.Thoress sucks a lot now they over nerfed.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Interesting that the Surge + Smite combo now does the same damage as the new Cyclops health tier characters. That appears to be what they've calibrated it to.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Arondite wrote:

4k for 10 does seem pretty bad, especially for a 4. There are plenty of 3s that deal damage more efficiently with their best power.

And I have a real hard time seeing her as the second best character in the game. I don't even know why I'd want to user her. Yeah, she's still tanky, but hell, Devil Dino is tankier, and his damage to AP is pretty similar to her marquee move of 19 AP for 7k. Does anyone think Ballistic Salvo is a great move? That's basically what you're getting with her now.
  • I'm not defending the nerfs, but about the comparison to XForce, I feel her 19AP combo should be worse. We are talking about a 16k HP character here. That's 5000 more than XForce; her skills should be weaker.

I think if they lowered the combo to roughly 10k damage, it would have been fine.
  • WolfmanX25 wrote:
    I'm not defending the nerfs, but about the comparison to XForce, I feel her 19AP combo should be worse. We are talking about a 16k HP character here. That's 5000 more than XForce; her skills should be weaker.

I think if they lowered the combo to roughly 10k damage, it would have been fine.

Her 16k health isn't enough to avoid being hulk bombed. She also can't true heal. It's really not as useful as you would think.....
  • WolfmanX25 wrote:
    I'm not defending the nerfs, but about the comparison to XForce, I feel her 19AP combo should be worse. We are talking about a 16k HP character here. That's 5000 more than XForce; her skills should be weaker.

I'd be fine if it was about 9k dmg at least, but now its like 402dmg per ap for the Surge+Smite combo for 19ap...
    For comparision Luke Cage uppercut does roughly 7.1k about 546dmg per ap.
    And cyclops black is even higher.

They should change Thor blue to,

Power Surge - New - 9 AP
    Thor raises Mjolnir to the sky, summoning a lightning storm to shock and stagger her foes. Stuns the enemy for 1 turn and converts 3 random Red, Blue, or Yellow basic tiles into Charged tiles.
    Level 2 - Stuns for 1 turn. Makes 4 charged tiles.
    Level 3 - Stuns for 2 turn. Makes 5 charged tiles.
    Level 4 - Stuns for 2 turns. Makes 6 charged tiles.
    Level 5 - Stuns for 3 turns. Makes 8 charged tiles.

Im fine with the one less turn stun from old one. At least that will make her combo do 9.8k. Which is about 517dmg per ap which i think is fine, Not quite enough to one shot Hulk, XF or any character above 10k but at least you get a decent dmg per ap ratio.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Mystique can do about the same damage with 19 AP , stun 2 turns with purple-Black and she's a 3* .... go figure
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    akiratang wrote:
    WolfmanX25 wrote:

I'd be fine if it was about 9k dmg at least, but now its like 402dmg per ap for the Surge+Smite combo for 19ap...
    For comparision Luke Cage uppercut does roughly 7.1k about 546dmg per ap.
    And cyclops black is even higher.

They should change Thor blue to,

Power Surge - New - 9 AP
    Thor raises Mjolnir to the sky, summoning a lightning storm to shock and stagger her foes. Stuns the enemy for 1 turn and converts 3 random Red, Blue, or Yellow basic tiles into Charged tiles.
    Level 2 - Stuns for 1 turn. Makes 4 charged tiles.
    Level 3 - Stuns for 2 turn. Makes 5 charged tiles.
    Level 4 - Stuns for 2 turns. Makes 6 charged tiles.
    Level 5 - Stuns for 3 turns. Makes 8 charged tiles.

Im fine with the one less turn stun from old one. At least that will make her combo do 9.8k. Which is about 517dmg per ap which i think is fine, Not quite enough to one shot Hulk, XF or any character above 10k but at least you get a decent dmg per ap ratio.

1000% agreed. Blue should make 7-8. The rest is fine, except yellow ****. Dumb ****
  • Arondite wrote:

No, 4k for 10 is "somewhat good" but it's miles from "OMG OMG THIS POWER OMG".

IF purpleflag.png 5 AP, 4113 damage 822.6 damage per AP (balanced slightly by the fact it's more like 10 AP because you need 12 black)
    L.Thor greenflag.png 14 AP, 9036 damage, 645.43 damage per AP
    Starlord purpleflag.png 10 AP, 9326 damage, 932.6 damage per AP (balanced slightly by being a placeable CD that goes of 90% of the time)
    Starlord redflag.png 8 AP, 6998 damage, 874.75 damage per AP (balanced slightly by being a random red CD that goes of probably 75% of the time)
    X-Force greenflag.png 8 AP, approx 5,000 damage, 625 damage per AP
    Nick Fury blueflag.png 10 AP 10,530 damage if enemy trips the trap, 1,053 damage per AP minimum damage 5,264 if you have to match all the traps yourself, 526.4 damage per AP

(a few other powers I am not going to look up right now)

Thor (Goddess of Thunder) redflag.png 10 AP (or 19 AP with a blueflag.png lead in)
    4025 damage, 402.5 damage per AP OR 7650 damage, 402.6 damage per AP.

So, clearly, 4* characters are intended to be damage dealers who have their wheelhouse power in the range of 600 damage per AP. Thor is about to go from being this to being not even close to this and much worse than several 3* choices.

As you can see, TGT is now WAAAAAY down the list of effective characters (behind Star Lord for pete sake), her biggest asset being shock absorbing bumpers in the form of 16k HP I guess. Also, it's plain to see Blue into Red is no longer a thing. Does not increase base damage per AP, the only reason to collect blue is if you really need to stun that guy. So, why not take that to it's logical conclusion and make Smite do the damage per AP the old Power Surge -> Smite combo had, (3049 + 12*725)/19 = 618 damage per AP baseline, only went up the more you used it thanks to more charge tiles.

I get you want to rebalance charge tiles and their speed output relative to power cost. Fine, take away the 12 charge tiles that was fueling most of Thor's damage, but ffs give some of that damage back. If they changed Smite's base damage to be 6100, plus 725 per charge tile (or even slightly more per charge tile, like 1025, so Smite and Power Surge -> Smite maintain similar damage to AP ratios, namely 600+ damage per AP) then this would feel less like a ritualistic murder of a beloved character whose cover sales have dropped off and more like a game balance tweak. Also, the main weapon against XF, who is the undisputed heavyweight champion of PVP, was to use a Power Smite against him and kill him off before he got rolling. Now we are left with nothing.
  • woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    For me, the best part of 4Thor was getting down to 1 opponent, power surge, and throw out a healing tile for XFW. With the longer stun, I would be able to surge first if I didn't have enough yellow and (hopefully) get enough AP in 1 match and still have turns to wait out the countdown. Not so much anymore
This discussion has been closed.