**** Thor (Goddess of Thunder) **** [PRE 2015-03]

Options

Comments

• IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    kalirion wrote:
    loroku wrote:
    I'll "go nuts" and say her name is not Lady Thor. It's actually specifically not Lady Thor - not even a little. (See the Marvel announcement about her character.)

But yeah, 4* Thor is pretty cool. I also think the double-edged charged tiles are an interesting new twist. And yes: she is 10x better than anyone I can field, so I'm just using her to smash the other teams completely.

Hmm, so what are we gonna call her? We have tinyyThor, LThor, and ... 4Thor?

Thorette, Thorina, Ms. Thor, Thorella, SheThor. Or we could just call her Xena icon_lol.gif .
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm not sure it's really faster than sentry bombing. It seems like that's more like a patchneto speed kill
  • I would not be surprised to see charge tiles get reduced to double AP.

That sounds likely. 3x is insane.
  • Spoit wrote:
    I'm not sure it's really faster than sentry bombing. It seems like that's more like a patchneto speed kill
    Yes, it seems a bit slower but definitely friendlier to health pack usage than sentry bombing. On another note, would the Goddess Thor + Hood combo trivialize any PVE match (especially goon-only nodes), even with level 395 enemies?
  • flnn1 wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    Yes, it seems a bit slower but definitely friendlier to health pack usage than sentry bombing. On another note, would the Goddess Thor + Hood combo trivialize any PVE match (especially goon-only nodes), even with level 395 enemies?

Taking longer to win generally results in a significantly less friendly environment to your health pack. Unlike the Sentry bomb Berserker Rage and Striking Distance must be used in an exact way. That is, if you have only Sacrifice or only World Rupture you can still use them one at a time for reduced effectiveness, but if you use Berserker Rage by itself it's way too dangerous and if you use Striking Distance by itself it's a decent but nothing particularly interesting against the top end characters.

There's also nothing she can do in PvE that'd be any better than the existing guys except possibly against 1 villian + 2 goon combo but unless you have all blue tiles charged you'll still need to make 2 blue matches every 4 turns with Power Surge maxed and that's not really possible just based on the expected rate blue tiles will be replenished, and once your opponent gets out of Power Surge they can easily turn the game around with all the charged tile you left on the board too unless you're fighting against someone who can't make use of RBY. Yes you'll be able to do a lot of damage too but having a significant power multiplier against high level opponent is asking for problems. You'll probably see they hit people for 1K+ by just matching some charged tiles let alone and you can usually count on someone being downed if they got any AP that's useful for them from charged tiles. Yes against some of the extremely powerful enemies you can argue you got nothing to lose if the fight dragged on, but since charged tile also do elevated match damage you're literally talking about an amount that's likely threatening to your characters if a level 395 character just made a match 4 with some charged tile in it and that's a bit too dangerous.
  • Xena ?... why not Xena Thor --> X-Thor icon_lol.gif
  • 4or is the best shortened name I've seen so far. You could also call her GT (Goddess of Thunder).
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    if Thor's health were nerfed, there'd probably be a bunch of conspiracy feminists complaining about weakening a strong female character.
    Did anyone else find it funny that in her in-match character pose Thor's holding her hammer with two hands? The male version only uses one hand. While I hope it was unintentional, it made me laugh.
    Lerysh wrote:
    vudu3 wrote:
    I'm thinking 4/4/5.

You want at least 4 in yellow because anything less and it won't affect CD tiles. 5 in yellow doubles AOE damage but even then it's not that impressive so there's not much reason to go beyond 4.

5 in blue is just to great/interesting to pass up.

That means 4/4/5 is the only viable choice. Seems like she'll be a fun PVE character.

Can you explain why 5 blue is too great to pass up? The Charge tiles make keeping 9 blue between casts pretty trivial, so is a 3 turn stun vs a 4 turn stun isn't THAT big of a deal. Is it the 12 charge tiles? I feel like 12 might give too much away to the AI.
    Others--including you!--have already answered this for me, but I think the reason to go 5 in blue is for the extra charge tiles. To be honest, I didn't even notice that it adds an extra turn to stun so that didn't have any affect on my decision.

The character's all about charge tiles. Without them she's just another heavy-hitting tank. You want to put as many charge tiles down as possible.

For the sake of argument, if Spidey had an ability that doubled the number of web tiles he put out is there any reason you wouldn't want to max this ability? Even in Spidey-on-Spidey fights where the extra web tiles could potentially hurt you, you'd still want them because you're going to be much better at using them effectively.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Charged tiles give an interesting buff to Invisible Woman, The Hood, Storm, and Magneto -- the characters who can collect AP by destroying tiles.

Charged tiles give Triple AP. A match of three redtile.png Charged tiles would give 9 redtile.png in collected AP.

Hood's Twin Pistols is an AP generating power. It destroys 2 3×3 blocks, generating 18AP currently.

With Charged tiles, Twin Pistols now has an upper limit of 54 AP. With Power Surge putting 12 charged tiles on the board, careful selection can reliably collect 32 AP, with most of it being yellowtile.pngbluetile.pngredtile.png . This at a cost of 15 yellowtile.png and 9 bluetile.png .

AP collected / times out of 20000 trials. 9 bluetile.png Power Surge followed by 15 yellowtile.png Twin Pistols.
    26-24 . . 28-654 . . 30-5966 . . 32-8574 . . 34-3961 . . 36-738 . . 38-80 . . 40-3

So, 8574 times out of 20000, Hood's Twin Pistols is able to collect 32 AP from the board after a Power Surge.

EDIT -- just tried this in game, in the Lightning Rounds. I was able to use Twin Pistols 4 times in a row, and cast Power Surge 5 times. Ran out of opponents to stun, so I re-stunned them to avoid killing them. I wanted to try to get 30AP in all colors, but I used Power Surge too many times. Had 20+ AP in all other colors, and all opponents were in 3 turns of stun. This is the next easy win. With buffs, 3 bluetile.png + 9 yellowtile.png gives an easy win for a Hood / Lady Thor combo.

EDIT 2 -- I see the quick game as follows. Buff +3 all AP, +3 YR, +3 PU.
    Turn 1. Match blue.
    Turn 2. 9 bluetile.png for Power Surge. Match yellow for 5-9 yellowtile.png .
    Turn 3/4 Twin Pistols to collect Charged Tiles. Stunlock / Smite / Power Surge / Twin Pistol enemy team in infinite cycle.
    It's even faster than Sentry for fast / trivial win, and doesn't hurt your own team in the process.

EDIT 3 - Northern Polarity spotted this first.

I credit bubbleboy to this discovery, he was talking about it in alliance chat and I stole the idea from him icon_e_biggrin.gif.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    vudu3 wrote:
    Others--including you!--have already answered this for me, but I think the reason to go 5 in blue is for the extra charge tiles. To be honest, I didn't even notice that it adds an extra turn to stun so that didn't have any affect on my decision.

besides how awesome going from 5 to 12 charge tiles would be, I think that extra turn of stun actually has good value on her for locking down 1-2 characters since it gives you more time to gather up charged blues to quickly use power surge again to rinse and repeat.

that aside I agree that maxing blue is a must for this character since charged tiles are the lifeblood of the character and 12 is just too big a boost to red or potential AP generation in general to pass up.

side note, has anyone else noticed that this character actually has a lot of board control between being able to do a 4 turn stun and taking away up to 5 enemy special tiles with yellow?
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    scottee wrote:
    5/5/3 easily.

It doesn't look like any ability consumes the Charged tiles. So if she gets rolling, Red could be a crazy big finishes, since it damages based off how many Charged tiles are up.

Blue 5 for 12 Charged tiles into Red damage would be a huge combo, but 5 yellow looks too good for team damage.

Just wanted to say that this post was before I understood how Charged tiles work.

Now I think the main build most will use is 5/3/5, though I could see an argument for 4/4/5 so that yellow takes out countdown tiles as well. But 5 blue is a must.
  • Nellyson
    Nellyson Posts: 354 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    This character is gonna be hard for me to figure out. I like the 5 yellowflag.png and after mulling over her blueflag.png skill, I'm liking the extra stun at 5. The 12 charged are insane, but it seems like everything she does charges tiles! Hahaha of course this means nothing cause I'll just be taking whatever I get, but I also like each of her powers. So I'm very happy with this new 4 star.png. You know they're good when you have trouble making up your mind!
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I say play her like Patch, balls to the walls go 5/3/5 and have fun. If I want a 12 AP AoE I have RoTP, and if I want an even better AoE I can run Deadpool or Thor. The stuff you will be able to do with Hood and her will be too fun to pass up
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    I say play her like Patch, balls to the walls go 5/3/5 and have fun. If I want a 12 AP AoE I have RoTP, and if I want an even better AoE I can run Deadpool or Thor. The stuff you will be able to do with Hood and her will be too fun to pass up

If you consider it like patch 5 green, then it's definitely an easier call to do 5 blue on Thor 4* since there is a better chance the charged tiles help you than the enemies. Enemies gain the strike tile benefit on all matches and cascades, but not so for charge tiles (and they don't explicitly go for them). Plus, usually you have the benefit of the charge tiles for your thor red.
  • Give infinite stun lock back and people don't want to abuse it. I don't get. Stun em and all the charge tiles are yours.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    theapropos wrote:
    Give infinite stun lock back and people don't want to abuse it. I don't get. Stun em and all the charge tiles are yours.

because that will take a long time to set up. Remember Hood's yellow would still cost 14, and you need at least 9 blue to get the charged tiles going, and there is no guarentee that it will put charges on a yellow tile, (although highly likely) and even more that those tiles are able to be matched. Then you still need to obtain 14 yellow again which is requring you to blast at least 5 charged yellow tiles or enough of a combination. Sure you can probably snag enough blue to cast again, but you need the yellow to get it to work.

Assuming a perfect board of 9 of each color, and a perfect distribution of charaged tiles when cast. You will have 4 blue, 4 red, 4 yellow charged tiles. You can destroy 18 tiles with Hood, perhaps more with cascade. But lets again assume no cascade because of it being an unknown variable. That means you in theory net 2 of each tile with a Hood Twin Pistol, and if 4/9th's of the yellow, red and blue are charged you would average 4 AP of yellow, red, blue and 2 AP of black, green, purple and TU. Obviously 4 yellow AP is not enough to cast Twin Pistols again.

Then stunlock really only works after you have downed one of their characters, because you could then cast blue, to charge up tiles which stuns one of the guys, and use twin pistols to get blue to cast another Power Surge. But to be able to pull it off 3 times is highly unlikely due to the board layout. In order to completely wipe a team you would need 10 red AP, 14 yellow AP, and 9 Blue AP.

Power Surge--->1 guy stunned
    > Smite
    >one guy downed ----> You have 16 charged tiles on the board ---->Twin Pistols into enough blue to cast Power Surge again hopefully you can finish them off in 4 turns while they are stunned.

Thor/Hood --Total needed AP---42
    Sentry/Hood -- Total needed AP ---24
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    I'm confused, why 14 yellow for Hood? Maxed Pistols are 15 AP.
  • And who says anything about hood? You don't have to grab EVERY charge tile to fire something off. Cascades after that will net a few. Even if they do come out of stun, the damage is already huge. You can still stun after that. And red is still deadly
  • Unknown
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Playing in the LRs and in the Season node, I really, really like her pairing with Patch. Striking Distance takes almost all the downside out of Berserker Rage (all if their team has weak/no purple skills) and Berserker Rage greatly boosts Striking Distance. This combo puts a big dent in 2*s and the lower health 3*s. Power Surge to stun for 4, and it's game over. Smite and a second Striking Distance takes out the tankier guys. Patch/Goddess also means you can bring someone with a strong black or use the charged purple tiles you just made. Turning all those enemy strike tiles into Whales? Yes, please. Or you can Berserker Rage -> Striking Distance -> Rage of the Panther.

I think it's a bit early to say what her abilities really cost after you get some charged tiles out. We need some math analysis (most of these combos are 40-42 AP on paper) but Power Surge adds 24 AP to the board in RYB. 12 charged tiles created in only 3 colors, especially after matching a blue or two, means they are going to be mostly red and yellow. I think you have a good chance of match-4s there. Charging enemy tiles also makes formerly expensive skills like Whales so much more usable. Deceptive Tactics won't overwrite charged tiles, but Polarity Shift fills the gaps and collects enough AP to stun the whole team for 4 in most cases and should charge almost all the RYB one the board. Might not be as fast as Sentry Bombing for shield hops, but definitely easier on your health packs for climbing.

I'm voting the best build as 445. Sure it gives up decent damage on red, but overwriting 3 CD tiles in one go is big and I've got plenty of other red skills I can bring along. I could even see a 355 for PvE, since 5 CDs will usually make goons a non-factor and those goon tiles are often on green. Turning a flamethrower tile you can't match in time into a charged tile worth 3 green is worth it since you'll probably be bringing someone to use that green. Getting rid of a bunch of threaten tiles is also awesome, especially since that yellow feeds into more striking distance.
  • Isay_Isay
    Isay_Isay Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Or you can Berserker Rage -> Striking Distance -> Rage of The Panther/Surgical Strike/etc.

Can't Surgical Strike since you can only use one Wolverine at a time, but I get your point.
This discussion has been closed.