**** Thor (Goddess of Thunder) **** [PRE 2015-03]

Options

Comments

• Phantron wrote:
    I must have missed the part where PvP now starts with your opponent only having two characters so you can immediately end the game with a Power Surge + Smite without worrying about how you're supposed to deal with the third guy.
    With surgical strike + whatever move SS feeds you, duh
  • monica123 wrote:
    Some things to bear in mind:

She's not that fast in attack. She'll take a while to 'get going' and that's IF you prioritise her over the quick lethality of X-Force if you pair them up. Time spent waiting to unleash is time you're taking damage...

She has no healing ability, so unlike X-Force she'll need heath packs for sustained use. That means using her mainly for end-game shield hops... and then see point 1 in that she's not the fastest necessarily for that task.

If you want to speed her up you'll probably want to bring Mr Squishy (Hood) which means that you become a target for attacks due to focused fire on Hood. Her high Health will deter people to a point, but when you're up around 1300pts+... everyone's a target.

Honestly, she's very very strong but I'm not convinced she needs nerf queing until we see how she plays out under 'normal' use (i.e. not +3 Yellow/Red AND +3 all AP).

Business is business.
    X force and 4hor will be nerfed one by one. It is equal to the case of rag cmag spidey. Also sentry + hood. I also got 3 cover of this character but i will regret my decision if i use money to level her up.
    This business model is congruent to that of league of legend. I believed in the reason of funbalance. But now i admit that i was simple and naive.
    Slight difference between Sentry, Hood, Rag, Cmag, Spidey and Xforce/4hor...

one group are 3 stars and the other group are 4 stars.
  • You guys should really include Loki in that "op then nerfed" list because he was by far, so so far, the worst example.
  • Lerysh wrote:
    Maybe, but then you can have your Mirror add Charge Tiles for you while you collect all the red. Just take the stun on your X-Force and counter-murder Thoress with Smite.
    why not leave her for last so you cant take advantage of more charged tiles she puts while you collect the red AP and one shot them one at a time?
  • ark123 wrote:
    Have you guys actually been playing against her? Have you seen what happens when you let her land her blue on the support and proceed to collect like 12+ ap the following turn?

I've just seen that I got far more defensive losses than before with her...

She's definitely too slow.
  • She's not just slow (though she is). Charged tile is a mechanism that favors the underdog. If you're fighting against a level 395 PvE encounter, does it really matter if you whiffed your Power Surge combo and the opponent picked up 30 AP? No because they can kill your guys with any of their normal moves so it'd hardly matter how much overkill you're taking but a successful Power Surge would greatly increase your odds of winning. But in PvP, I'd hope if you've a maxed Thor then your team is not the underdog. But if your opponent is the underdog then the charged tile favors them. If instead of Thor you're running X Force and you're attacked by a 3* team your team is obviously favored in terms of team strength. Well, your team is still favored running Thor, but a badly used Power Surge can easily turn the game around for the underdog team. On the other hand, using it well doesn't help you much because your team is already favored and should be winning anyway. Now, against X Force, who should be favored over Thor, it doesn't work because X Force's moveset completely dominates Thor's moveset when Thor is the defender. Unless you got a Power Surge before X Force has either X Force or Surgical Strike ready, your defense is just handing a very large amount of AP to the other team after a Power Surge, and your best case scenario would be if a move like X Force merely destroyed all your charged tiles as opposed to collecting a large number of them.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    league of Legends repeats this process over and over and peeps still buy in. Release a new OP character, wait 6 weeks till the sales go down, hit them with the nerf bat. Seems to work.

There hasn't been a truly "OP" Champion released since Yasuo (and really, he's not that bad), and before that the likes of Tresh/Nami, which were supports and not broken at all, or Diana, which was...a year ago? More than that I think.

Riot's schedule has basically been completely rework one old Champion, release a new Champion, and tweak a handful each month. It's a good, healthy pattern, if you keep up on it like they have.
  • Phantron wrote:
    She's not just slow (though she is). Charged tile is a mechanism that favors the underdog. If you're fighting against a level 395 PvE encounter, does it really matter if you whiffed your Power Surge combo and the opponent picked up 30 AP? No because they can kill your guys with any of their normal moves so it'd hardly matter how much overkill you're taking but a successful Power Surge would greatly increase your odds of winning. But in PvP, I'd hope if you've a maxed Thor then your team is not the underdog. But if your opponent is the underdog then the charged tile favors them. If instead of Thor you're running X Force and you're attacked by a 3* team your team is obviously favored in terms of team strength. Well, your team is still favored running Thor, but a badly used Power Surge can easily turn the game around for the underdog team. On the other hand, using it well doesn't help you much because your team is already favored and should be winning anyway. Now, against X Force, who should be favored over Thor, it doesn't work because X Force's moveset completely dominates Thor's moveset when Thor is the defender. Unless you got a Power Surge before X Force has either X Force or Surgical Strike ready, your defense is just handing a very large amount of AP to the other team after a Power Surge, and your best case scenario would be if a move like X Force merely destroyed all your charged tiles as opposed to collecting a large number of them.

I agree with you that she may be useful in PvE more than in PvP.

She needs a friend/friends with the charge tile ability, and there will be some synergy. Before then... She will be a skip tax friend for a few weeks until people find out she's just a pain in the **** to kill.

She leads to a high use of medpacks for the whole team...
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MikeyMan wrote:
    Half of the Xmen main group already has a fully covered Thor. icon_e_surprised.gif

Cracks me up how many X-Men alliances there are. What are we up to now, 10? Bonus points for originality, guys!
  • gamar wrote:
    noisnam wrote:
    league of Legends repeats this process over and over and peeps still buy in. Release a new OP character, wait 6 weeks till the sales go down, hit them with the nerf bat. Seems to work.

yea but league of legends rework on their underpowered old champ and sometimes buff other champ that doesnt see much light. i dont see d3 doing it.
    in here, they just simply dont care about.
    You don't see d3 reworking or buffing old champs. Like Xforce. icon_question.gif

Sir, i m gonna open your eye, x force was underpowered by design when the norm only maxed 2 star, it was crippled(IW still at this stage). the version you are playing now is the original x force. it symbolize we are now entering the 4star phase. its a unlock not a buff. u can call whatever it is but i do not think its a buff.
    we must have more than 50 charactor by now. 70% of them are underpowered.

i still think they simply dont care. if you find m hawkeye worth mention. alright, i have nothing to say.
  • Lame Thor needs a buff, not a nerf...
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Options
    arktos1971 wrote:
    Lame Thor needs a buff, not a nerf...
    I take it the 4.5 days of 2.5 h grind wasn't worth it?
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    4* Thor is nothing scary. There were already maxed Thor's showing up at the 4am bracket of the last PvP. I just proceeded to rip right into her. She's nothing scary and the only issue you'll have is the same issue you'll have with any other decent character, a bad cascade.
  • woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    arktos1971 wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    Have you guys actually been playing against her? Have you seen what happens when you let her land her blue on the support and proceed to collect like 12+ ap the following turn?

Yup. I'm not proud to admit it, but I lost on that first PVE node with Juggs/goon/hood where they mandated 4 Thor and 2 other folks (2* HT and Cap America I think). I couldn't get any matches for any of their powers and kept getting hit with twin pistols
  • hurcules wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:
    Lame Thor needs a buff, not a nerf...
    I take it the 4.5 days of 2.5 h grind wasn't worth it?

The grind in itself was bad for everyone. Whether the character would be good or bad.

I think she definitely needs some more characters to have synergy with her. Like one producing Charged Tiles. Then she will be better.

That will probably happen when a larger part of the community has maxed her. Which will take some time...

I've never had so many defensive loss and attacks since I've played her.

I tried her in all situations : sim, PvE, and PvP. She was at best "average". What she's very good at is eating Health Packs for the whole team.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wow o wow, I used some stored HP to raise blue from 1 to 3 and she is starting to shine (she is just 1/0/3). I thought in the past that 5/5/3 was the best build, but now, I think that x/x/5 is the way to go. 5/3/5 is probably the best one (specially for PvP), but I think 4/4/5 could be a good build too (more versatile). 5 in blue is so damned good, you can stun lock the other team very, very fast (boosts can be a problem again).

Right now, I still think XForce is faster killing the other team but she is a beast too. And I see them together in the near future in A LOT of teams. I see myself even paying for a 4/0/5 Thoress (!!!!)

The only thing good about her is that she depends a lot to blue so she can be fighted just canceling her any blue, the bad is that boosted only needs a blue match to call Power Surge, and if the other team doesn't have a Thoress, they have lost the match (and if the other team has one, she will probably be stunned for 5 rounds).

PS: Red should not put more charged tiles on the board, it should consume them! I am starting to think that she could be nerfed in the near future :S :S :S
    PS: Boosts are again a cancer to this game.
  • ark123 wrote:
    You guys should really include Loki in that "op then nerfed" list because he was by far, so so far, the worst example.

I don't know about this. Please explain. When was Loki OP?
  • woopie wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:
    ark123 wrote:

Yup. I'm not proud to admit it, but I lost on that first PVE node with Juggs/goon/hood where they mandated 4 Thor and 2 other folks (2* HT and Cap America I think). I couldn't get any matches for any of their powers and kept getting hit with twin pistols

I took like 9000 damage on that fight before winning, and I've been saying that mission needs to be available permanently for people who thinks Thor is going to be the new overpowered character. Yes you're fighting 3 guys that fight way above their level and your 2 support sucks, but come on, it's a level 269 Thor vs 3 level 100 guys. It shouldn't have even been close but throughout most of that fight I was just trying to match stuff to get any moves off and ended up resorting to using Power Surge for match damage to get rid of The Hood because that's the only color I can collect that wasn't stolen, and you can't just add the Hood because The Hood synergizes poorly with Thor (green coverage would be dependent on featured).
  • I did not have that impression when I played the LRs. It seems I am playing a totally new character.

She seemed more powerful back then.

Could it be she had been nerfed meanwhile ?
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Does anyone know what kind of damage 3 red can do followed by 5 blue at high levels or max level?

I get that 535 is overwhelmingly popular but the damage from blue+red is over 12k and often overkill.
    I'm hoping the damage with 3 red followed by 5 blue might be close to 8k. If so...I could see 355 being a fun all around build.
    You won't one shot hulk but you will one shot most characters by the time you generate the necessary AP.

If anyone can tell me or give me a general estimate I'd appreciate it!
This discussion has been closed.