**** Thor (Goddess of Thunder) **** [PRE 2015-03]

Options

Comments

• She works pretty well with X-Force Wolvie.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ark123 wrote:
    I'd agree if I hadn't been playing against the AI controlling Goddess all day. The AI straight up ignores the fact that some tiles are charged.
    But doesn't this also mean that on defense, blue5 will be a huge liability?
  • I'm thinking 4/4/5 as well, not really worrying too much about defense.

Also for other combinations: I've found Daken's Chemical reaction doesn't seem to change blue charged tiles. Does anyone know if other techniques like Twin Pistol's or Storm's Lightning Storm collects the triple AP upon destruction, or confirm it if you destroy the tile with a line clear?

I'm impressed with the devs for making the 5th covers matter.
  • There needs to be something in-game describing charged tiles because it isn't obvious that they do anything but boost her powers like web tiles and most people aren't going to tap them and read the description

I've been playing LRs all day and didn't know the tiles themselves were boosted until I read this thread
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Options
    She's a well balanced 4* character in my opinion.

Her combined 5 cover blue with red is only marginally better than Fury's blue but requires more AP investment.
    Her blue skill is incredible when down to one person on the board. Strong stun and lots of AP gain at your disposal.
    Her yellow is solid utility but overcosted. Honestly, it should cost 9 and do a bit more damage while her blue should cost 12.

I still consider X-Force to be the MUCH stronger 4* but she's 'probably' better than Fury.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:
    Ability to affect CDs for Yellow is important, especially as a Sentry counter.

How does affecting CD tiles counter Sentry in any way? You don't die when 12 WR tiles go off, you die when 7 WR + sacrifice goes off, at which point affecting CD tiles seems like it actually does the opposite of countering Sentry, since you want to kill the strike tiles, not the CD tiles, and 3 yellow will kill the sacrifice tile for sure whereas 5 yellow won't.

That is a really strong argument for 5/3/5 right there.
  • simonsez
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:
    Ability to affect CDs for Yellow is important, especially as a Sentry counter.

How does affecting CD tiles counter Sentry in any way? You don't die when 12 WR tiles go off, you die when 7 WR + sacrifice goes off, at which point affecting CD tiles seems like it actually does the opposite of countering Sentry, since you want to kill the strike tiles, not the CD tiles, and 3 yellow will kill the sacrifice tile for sure whereas 5 yellow won't.

That is a really strong argument for 5/3/5 right there.
    I don't know, by the time the AI gets 3 green matches and 3 yellow matches, and you get 4 yellow matches, Sentry could be stunned and/or dead by then. I don't know if I'd make a build decision solely based on this.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think Lady Thor has too much health, at 16440. I understand that she's supposed to have Thor / Ares / Colossus / Venom / Sentry / She-Hulk / Ragnarok level toughness, but with a set of powers that good, she should instead have Black Panther / Captain America / Captain Marvel / Iron Man / Moonstone / Doctor Doom level toughness.

With a slight decrease in her health level, that would give her 13660 health, instead of 16440. She would still have the second best health in the game, after only Devil Dinosaur. With 16440 health, she has too much of an edge over every other character. At 13660 health, she'd still have an edge over everyone, but it wouldn't be nearly as extreme.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Options
    I think Lady Thor has too much health, at 16440. I understand that she's supposed to have Thor / Ares / Colossus / Venom / Sentry / She-Hulk / Ragnarok level toughness, but with a set of powers that good, she should instead have Black Panther / Captain America / Captain Marvel / Iron Man / Moonstone / Doctor Doom level toughness.

With a slight decrease in her health level, that would give her 13660 health, instead of 16440. She would still have the second best health in the game, after only Devil Dinosaur. With 16440 health, she has too much of an edge over every other character. At 13660 health, she'd still have an edge over everyone, but it wouldn't be nearly as extreme.
  • I think she is OP as kitties regardless but there are other 4*s like that too icon_mrgreen.gif
  • I think the problem is that charged tiles themselves are too powerful. They could fix it by giving 2AP instead of 3AP, and increasing the damage to 4X per tile (doubling typical match 3 damage, or tripling it with 2 charged tiles), but not sure how popular that change would be. Plus if Thor's health were nerfed, there'd probably be a bunch of conspiracy feminists complaining about weakening a strong female character.
  • simonsez
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    Plus if Thor's health were nerfed, there'd probably be a bunch of conspiracy feminists complaining about weakening a strong female character.
    I think you're right... when Peter Parker was nerfed, the nerd outrage was unbearable...
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Charged tiles give an interesting buff to Invisible Woman, The Hood, Storm, and Magneto -- the characters who can collect AP by destroying tiles.

Charged tiles give Triple AP. A match of three redtile.png Charged tiles would give 9 redtile.png in collected AP.

Hood's Twin Pistols is an AP generating power. It destroys 2 3×3 blocks, generating 18AP currently.

With Charged tiles, Twin Pistols now has an upper limit of 54 AP. With Power Surge putting 12 charged tiles on the board, careful selection can reliably collect 32 AP, with most of it being yellowtile.pngbluetile.pngredtile.png . This at a cost of 15 yellowtile.png and 9 bluetile.png .

AP collected / times out of 20000 trials. 9 bluetile.png Power Surge followed by 15 yellowtile.png Twin Pistols. (EDIT -- this is with level 5 Power Surge)
    26 AP - 24 times . . 28 AP - 654 times . . 30 AP - 5966 times . . 32 AP - 8574 times . . 34 AP - 3961 times . . 36 AP - 738 times . . 38 AP - 80 times . . 40 AP - 3 times

So, 8574 times out of 20000, Hood's Twin Pistols is able to collect 32 AP from the board after a Power Surge.

EDIT -- just tried this in game, in the Lightning Rounds. I was able to use Twin Pistols 4 times in a row, and cast Power Surge 5 times. Ran out of opponents to stun, so I re-stunned them to avoid killing them. I wanted to try to get 30AP in all colors, but I used Power Surge too many times. Had 20+ AP in all other colors, and all opponents were in 3 turns of stun. This is the next easy win. With buffs, 3 bluetile.png + 9 yellowtile.png gives an easy win for a Hood / Lady Thor combo.

EDIT 2 -- I see the quick game as follows. Buff +3 all AP, +3 YR, +3 PU.
    Turn 1. Match blue.
    Turn 2. 9 bluetile.png for Power Surge. Match yellow for 5-9 yellowtile.png .
    Turn 3/4 Twin Pistols to collect Charged Tiles. Stunlock / Smite / Power Surge / Twin Pistol enemy team in infinite cycle.
    It's even faster than Sentry for fast / trivial win, and doesn't hurt your own team in the process.

EDIT 3 - Northern Polarity spotted this first.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Options
    Charged tiles give an interesting buff to Invisible Woman, The Hood, Storm, and Magneto -- the characters who can collect AP by destroying tiles.

Charged tiles give Triple AP. A match of three redtile.png Charged tiles would give 9 redtile.png in collected AP.

Hood's Twin Pistols is an AP generating power. It destroys 2 3×3 blocks, generating 18AP currently.

With Charged tiles, Twin Pistols now has an upper limit of 54 AP. With Power Surge putting 12 charged tiles on the board, careful selection can reliably collect 32 AP, with most of it being yellowtile.pngbluetile.pngredtile.png . This at a cost of 15 yellowtile.png and 9 bluetile.png .

AP collected / times out of 20000 trials. 9 bluetile.png Power Surge followed by 15 yellowtile.png Twin Pistols.
    26-24 . . 28-654 . . 30-5966 . . 32-8574 . . 34-3961 . . 36-738 . . 38-80 . . 40-3

So, 8574 times out of 20000, Hood's Twin Pistols is able to collect exactly 32 AP from the board after a Power Surge.
    13356 times out of 20000, Hood's Twin Pistols is able to collect 32 or more AP from the board after a Power Surge.
    19322 times out of 20000, Hood's Twin Pistols is able to collect 30 or more AP from the board after a Power Surge.

EDIT -- just tried this in game, in the Lightning Rounds. I was able to use Twin Pistols 4 times in a row, and cast Power Surge 5 times. Ran out of opponents to stun, so I re-stunned them to avoid killing them. I wanted to try to get 30AP in all colors, but I used Power Surge too many times. Had 20+ AP in all other colors, and all opponents were in 3 turns of stun. This is the next easy win. With buffs, 3 bluetile.png + 9 yellowtile.png gives an easy win for a Hood / Lady Thor combo.

EDIT 2 -- I see the quick game as follows. Buff +3 all AP, +3 YR, +3 PU.
    Turn 1. Match blue.
    Turn 2. 9 bluetile.png for Power Surge. Match yellow for 5-9 yellowtile.png .
    Turn 3/4 Twin Pistols to collect Charged Tiles. Stunlock / Smite / Power Surge / Twin Pistol enemy team in infinite cycle.
    It's even faster than Sentry for fast / trivial win, and doesn't hurt your own team in the process.

EDIT 3 - Northern Polarity spotted this first.
  • ... You lost me there, Nonce. icon_e_confused.gif
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Wow, Nonce.
    So basically, if I +3 all AP, +3 YR, +3 PU - I am 1-Blue and 3-Yellow matches away from a high percentage of perma-stun, instant death for the enemy team running GT/Hood.
    Basically charged tiles + twin pistols = near infinite AP.
    The tests you were doing, Nonce, that was with GT's blue only set to the free '4' level... boosted to 5 the number of charge tiles dropped goes *way* up.

(The key difference between this and the old Spidey stun-lock is that GT has a murderous offensive power in the Red... especially with the number of charge tiles you will have laid down after turning your new wheel a few times..)

Yikes!
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2014
    Options
    That is a frightening catch, Nonce/NorthernPolarity.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just might be able to do triple stun lock now. If I can get enough blue Ap, maybe I can finally manage to keep all 3 enemies stun locked indefinitely. Most I've ever managed was 2 enemies at once. Especially if I use Venom and Cpt. Marvel. That way I have a blue, purple(or pink for some), and black stun powers. Using Thorette's blue and Venom purple might be best, so I don't kill them off to quick. Or if I used MN Mags with Hood. Now that might work better.

side note: I called her Thorette for a while now in previous posts, but I thought about Thorina, Ms Thor, SheThor, and a few others, but Thorette just sounds better to me. That or Ms. Thor icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 692 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I would not be surprised to see charge tiles get reduced to double AP.
  • loroku wrote:
    I'll "go nuts" and say her name is not Lady Thor. It's actually specifically not Lady Thor - not even a little. (See the Marvel announcement about her character.)

But yeah, 4* Thor is pretty cool. I also think the double-edged charged tiles are an interesting new twist. And yes: she is 10x better than anyone I can field, so I'm just using her to smash the other teams completely.

Hmm, so what are we gonna call her? We have tinyyThor, LThor, and ... 4Thor?
This discussion has been closed.