And, no it's nothing to do with xforce.

It's a chromosome thing. icon_e_geek.gif

NERDS!!!

nerds-3.jpg
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Options
    Anyone see this yet? http://www.idigitaltimes.com/marvel-puz ... york-comic

So what about the new Thor: Goddess of Thunder? Well, according to Fletcher she is going to be a game-changer...literally.

“She has three abilities. She uses green, yellow and blue, which are different from what Thor Odinson uses.” Fletcher said. “Her abilities work similar to the other Thor in that they complement off each other but she uses a new mechanic called Charged Tiles.”

This new mechanic in Marvel Puzzle Quest ‘charges’ up normal basic tiles into the aforementioned Charged Tiles. Thor: Goddess of Thunder’s abilities generates these special tiles, which deal more damage and gives the player more AP when they are matched up.

“So when you get a lot of Charged Tiles on the board some of her abilities becomes insanely powerful.” Fletcher gushed. “We [the developers] pretty easily got her to the point where she can start one-shotting people.”

However, the downside to the new Charged Tile mechanic is that it’s not unique to the player who generates it. So your opponent can match them to deal extra damage to YOU. But for now you’ll only have to worry about Charge Tiles with Thor: Goddess of Thunder because there won’t be another character who utilizes them...yet.

“Just like Daredevil and his trap tiles. He was the only one till Nick Fury was introduced and some NPCs now use them. More characters will be using them in the future. “
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ludaa wrote:

“Just like Daredevil and his trap tiles. He was the only one till Nick Fury was introduced and some NPCs now use them. More characters will be using them in the future. “
    Wait, what NPCs use trap tiles now?
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DayvBang wrote:
    Ludaa wrote:

I'd guess it's a misquote or a misunderstanding by the author there are some other less than accurate things in there...but technically the Don has a CD called Trap so it's sorta almost true?
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    FierceKiwi wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:
    Ludaa wrote:

I'd guess it's a misquote or a misunderstanding by the author there are some other less than accurate things in there...but technically the Don has a CD called Trap so it's sorta almost true?

The same article states:
    “We wanted to make Devil Dinosaur play as weird as the character is. He’s a giant dinosaur after all.” Fletcher joked. “He’s going to be running green, red and purple; a different color combination than any other fighter in the game.”
  • Charged tiles, introduced by 4xThor and to be used by other upcoming characters?

That pretty much confirms Gambit I guess
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If a power charges specific colors, it could play very interestingly with powers that create or destroy tiles based on color...
  • Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The same article states:
    “We wanted to make Devil Dinosaur play as weird as the character is. He’s a giant dinosaur after all.” Fletcher joked. “He’s going to be running green, red and purple; a different color combination than any other fighter in the game.”
    assuming you ignore gsbw
  • Pwuz_
    Options
    Jathro wrote:
    The same article states:
    assuming you ignore gsbw

My point exactly. This article already has mistakes in it, so should we really worry about:
    DayvBang wrote:
    Ludaa wrote:

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So, err...there's a Lightning Round with her image on it.
    I hope to God that's not how she's introduced. In a highly competitive lightinging round starting at 6am GMT.
  • Pwuz_
    Options
    So, err...there's a Lightning Round with her image on it.
    I hope to God that's not how she's introduced. In a highly competitive lightinging round starting at 6am GMT.

It will be our first chance to use her. From what I understand it'll be like the normal lightning rounds, except the rental will be a max level 4* Thor.
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Omg she's a beast. 5 Red is a must. Either 5 Yellow or 5 Blue works well as the second major power set
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2014
    Options
    X-Force who?

4or (get it?!? 4* and Thor) is very strong.

I see her forming the backbone of all top tier player rosters. And so begins in earnest the next actual transitional phase of the game.
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Although now i'm wondering if she's overpowered and a nerf will come out...

IW looks like a baby now

Poor guy Thor must feel so emasculated right now...
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Oldboy wrote:
    Omg she's a beast. 5 Red is a must. Either 5 Yellow or 5 Blue works well as the second major power set

Err.... 5 yellow is clearly her best ability. That's 2.8k team damage at max level, aka a yellow RoTP with no drawbacks and upside...
  • TheRealJRad
    TheRealJRad Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Oldboy wrote:
    Although now i'm wondering if she's overpowered and a nerf will come out...

IW looks like a baby now

Poor guy Thor must feel so emasculated right now...

First thing I thought when I saw the charged tiles was "how long till the nerf?".
  • Unknown
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Dug her. Dug her powers. Charged tiles in my face. And to quote a mate "she's kinda hot."
    Season 7 get here now!
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    5/5/3 easily.

It doesn't look like any ability consumes the Charged tiles. So if she gets rolling, Red could be a crazy big finishes, since it damages based off how many Charged tiles are up.

Blue 5 for 12 Charged tiles into Red damage would be a huge combo, but 5 yellow looks too good for team damage.
  • This is a character that's well designed for the wrong game, so either she's going to be fairly useless or there's going to be some major changes to the game in the future.

First, all her moves are expensive. In the current game she'd just be yet another victim to The Hood or always have to be paired with him.

Second, the charged tiles are too dangerous as a mechanism. Nobody who has this character at a high level is going to be operating from a roster disadvantage very often, and the charged tiles are likely to benefit whoever has the weaker team since the weaker team picking up some charged tiles can easily turn a game around. Sure the stronger team will win more, but if you're the stronger team you don't need really need to win more to begin with.

Since the stats in this event is at level 100 and ability damage for 4* only double from 70 to 270, I'm guessing yellow will max out at around 2500 damage to team. This is very good but it doesn't compare to all the game ending 4 match moves at the high end of this game.

In order to do massive damage on a single character usually requires two moves because red requires some number of charged tiles up to do more damage. If you have no charged tile you can use Captain America or HT for just red, and if including other colors there are plenty of 4 match range moves that do incredible damage to a single person. Not only is the setup time long, but charged tiles are dangerous to have it around when your team is stronger. Unless this character turns out to be extremely easy to get, it is simply not worth the risk.

This character seems to be designed assuming there are no easy ways to easily end the game with a 4 match move or less, except there currently is a lot of ways to do this. Even if you don't look at Sentry, X Force can show you plenty of ways end a game with a Surgical Strike. X Force (the move) also does significant damage on a single person for only 3 matches and does not have a high chance of backfiring on yourself, and X Force isn't even that overpowered as a move (it is, but certainly within acceptable bounds).
This discussion has been closed.