The Gaunlet: Villains, Heroes, & Finale 20 - 23 Sep

Options

Comments

• 5 total wipes, and finally beat it on the 6th try.
    Attempt number 5 was the Bomb Squad - icon_daken.pngicon_sentry.pngicon_hood.png, boosts (no imcoin.png boosts, but iso8.png is neglible).
    It's going really well. Like, beautifully well. Except for green. Yellow heavy board, I've gathered 22 yellowtile.png 13 blacktile.png ...and in all that time only 6 greentile.png . And I started with 3. Finally a 2nd green match (I've made the only one all game) shows up...and the AI takes it. A couple turns later, Muscles flexes and BP details his Battleplans. Each match they make is 3k+ and is a double match. I die quickly.

But I figure, what the hell, I've got nothing to lose except my pride and I've still got 3 healthpack.png left, and 80k icon_deadpool.png points, so I send in:
    icon_daken.pngicon_sentry.pngicon_deadpool.png (110) with 3 each iso8.png color boost. There are 4 purple tiles on the starting board. No more arrive in the first 5 matches from either side. icon_redface.gif

But I manage World Rupture with double Sacrifice (and surprisingly they don't get matched) and I finally am victorious. icon_lol.gif

Ugly, unplesant, unfun.

Now on to my first Deadly - 280 icon_hammer.pngicon_captainamerica.pngicon_doctordoom.png
  • SunCrusher
    SunCrusher Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    ... My Heroics gave me Classic Storm. icon_e_sad.gif

Guess not.
  • I loved this event. I think it is a good step in letting me feel like I can just play the game. I hope these continue. Extra time confused me. I am still not going to repeat the nodes, but if they don't have another lined up why not. I'm a fairly developed player and for me was the most fun the games been in a while.
  • Vankysher
    Vankysher Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    loroku wrote:
    silverrex wrote:
    While alot of players are complaining how difficult the scaling is, especially if you have a good roster. I say this is not a bad thing, after all newer players with a weak roster should be able to complete this event with ease,
    NOPE.

I got halfway through the "heroes" part before the event became impossible for me. The "scaling" is apparently just personal, because I'm fighting like level 40-60 guys - but I cannot win against level 50+ enemies. So no, newbies are probably going to do even worse because we don't have the roster flexibility to take on different types of teams. Basically, if I can't win with my tired old A team, that's it - I can't do it, because I don't really have a B team.

Same here. My 2* roster has no heroes that are fully covered though Cap, OBW & Thor lead the way with 10 covers. Going through my health packs very quickly as I am struggling to make it through this "heroes" portion of the gauntlet.
  • The problem is the deadline. If it was a season, or at least a couple week long event, that's enough time to come to it with no pressure and wipe out on a few of the harder nodes without much lost. But 3 days? So there's no grinding, but there's still the time pressure!
  • One idea (building on kaliron's post) for the next time they do it: Make it bigger, with a slower progression, but also give us an entire season to do it.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Finished the Finale this afternoon. I have 5 characters at level 140 and for me the last node was level 303 icon_wolverine.pngicon_sentry.pngicon_blackwidow.png . Took that down with Punisher/Hood/cMags and 3 yellowtile.pngredtile.png Boosts and 3 Stockpiles. I had a harder time with the BP Essential node ( icon_hood.pngicon_maggia.pngicon_maggia.png @ 279) using BP/Punisher/OBW. Got wiped the first time (with 1 Don left with < 1000 health) but the 2nd try got off a Level 350 Call the Storm left over from the Simulator.

Overall I very much enjoyed the event. After I got the GSBW cover I thought "there's no way I can do this next node" but would give it a try and (usually) find a way to win. Had this been a regular PvE I never would have tried those Hard or Deadly nodes, wanting to keep my team alive so I could hit the easier nodes every 2.5 hours. This format allowed me to push the envelope above where I ever thought my team could succeed. And all of the 3* covers were useful to me, so I had incentive to keep pushing.

I went back and repeated one node, but when I got 20 iso8.png as the reward for that and saw how much damage I took, I realized that wasn't a good use of time.

I would have liked there to be a story line along with the event, as I find the dialog in these to be creative and fun, but maybe that could be added for another event like this one.
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    Options
    RageFace wrote:
    I loved this event. I think it is a good step in letting me feel like I can just play the game. I hope these continue. Extra time confused me. I am still not going to repeat the nodes, but if they don't have another lined up why not. I'm a fairly developed player and for me was the most fun the games been in a while.

I've been doing 280+ nodes since the start of the finale. Final node is 351. Sundays health packs all went to Steel.

I had conceded I was not going to clear all the nodes. I had simply intended to try for the last ISO progression rewards with the number of health pack regenerations remaining. The extra day gives me a chance to clear the remaining 8 essential nodes, all over 250.
  • BrandonE
    Options
    Where are folks hitting the "hard"/"deadly" transition? I had my first deadly on #33. Lvl 160 goons for me on that level. My roster is 6 lvl 94 2*, 1 lvl 94 3* (softcapped Patch at 1/1/5), lvl 86 2Daken and a bunch of undercovered 3*.
  • Nighthawk81
    Nighthawk81 Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I just finished the last node on the Finale. Level 341 Xforce/Sentry/OBW. Whew. I just boosted +3 all, +3 b/p, +3 g/b. I got some lucky cascades too. I was going to stop at the green GSBW and figured what the hell. Glad I was able to accomplish it. Now to finish the essentials in Finale.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    wow! I just reached node 42... but didn't fight it yet.
    So I have still this final node 42 and the 6 essentials to do enemystrike.pngecountdown.png

I can't be sure I'll manage to complete this event but this extra day is much appreciated.
    I really enjoy this event and I focussed so much that I almost forgot PvP and season 6 icon_e_surprised.gif
    I found that this event motivated me to try different teams much more than the Simulator event
    Indeed, I tried and killed ( icon_evil.gif ) each of my well-covered 3 star.png, twice for the luckiest, and adding 2 star.png cStorm and MNMag.

One thing bothers me: I fought the last nodes with some boosts. As boosts don't drop anymore I will have harder times when this event will be re-run (I bet it will become a classic).
  • Uber Whales does wonders on node 42.

Only trick is surviving long enough to accumulate 14 purple, but boosts help with that.

Best 28000 DP points I've ever spent!
  • Nighthawk81
    Options
    DrNitroman wrote:
    So I have still this final node 42 and the 6 essentials to do enemystrike.pngecountdown.png

I can't be sure I'll manage to complete this event but this extra day is much appreciated.
    I really enjoy this event and I focussed so much that I almost forgot PvP and season 6 icon_e_surprised.gif
    I found that this event motivated me to try different teams much more than the Simulator event
    Indeed, I tried and killed ( icon_evil.gif ) each of my well-covered 3 star.png, twice for the luckiest, and adding 2 star.png cStorm and MNMag.

One thing bothers me: I fought the last nodes with some boosts. As boosts don't drop anymore I will have harder times when this event will be re-run (I bet it will become a classic).

Drop some iso on boosts. That was money well spent. The HP I spent on +3 all boosts also provided a great return on investment for two 3* covers I needed.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Jdberia wrote:
    DrNitroman wrote:
    <snip>

Drop some iso on boosts. That was money well spent. The HP I spent on +3 all boosts also provided a great return on investment for two 3* covers I needed.
    Maybe, we'll see when my stock will be depleted
    and this could happen quickly than I thought: I died three times in a row at node 42 (level 322 for me) icon_cry.gif
    I need a better strategy and also more luck.

For now, I'm off to bed...
  • wafflefries
    wafflefries Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    Options
    So, does anyone have any ideas on the best way to get a BP cover so I can finish this event???

My guess is that it's probably time for me to move on...
  • I'm so glad they're extending this event. I'm having so much fun, but even with a diverse roster, it can be really challenging. On a couple nodes, a bad cascade will put you down 3 healthpacks right away. Again, I'm not complaining, I'm having a lot of fun, but I'm just glad I have more time to try to finish. icon_e_smile.gif I'm at about 40 or so, so it's getting pretty challenging, especially with the scaling. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    Options
    They should power up our guys to match the level of some of these enemies. A lvl337 LThor is dumb, at least match my Punisher and BP.

I was previously stuck at Sim39 and was going to give-up but decided that since there's no other event going on I might as well try. It took me about 5 tries but good ol' MNMags + CStorm win in the end. The key is to get very very lucky with a purple/blue board and some cascading to get Wind Storm off again and again and keep the team stunned.

I have managed to get to Sim41 with this same tactic. If anybody wants to share alternative methods that aren't Sentry/Hood + 3x boosts please do.
  • Nighthawk81
    Options
    They should power up our guys to match the level of some of these enemies. A lvl337 LThor is dumb, at least match my Punisher and BP.

I was previously stuck at Sim39 and was going to give-up but decided that since there's no other event going on I might as well try. It took me about 5 tries but good ol' MNMags + CStorm win in the end. The key is to get very very lucky with a purple/blue board and some cascading to get Wind Storm off again and again and keep the team stunned.

I have managed to get to Sim41 with this same tactic. If anybody wants to share alternative methods that aren't Sentry/Hood + 3x boosts please do.

Pun + magnestorm with AP boosts. If you get a decent board, you can blow up bullseye without a lot of his protect tiles coming out.
  • Some people have been pointing out that LazyCap is really a champ in this event. That's been working for me. Patch, LCap, and Hood are carrying me through most of the nodes.
  • I have managed to get to Sim41 with this same tactic. If anybody wants to share alternative methods that aren't Sentry/Hood + 3x boosts please do.

I used Sentry a total of 0 times. I used Stormneto + my best RGY (sometimes an underleveled Lthor sometimes Ares), or Lcap/Hood/IM40, or Patch/Daken/Falcon, or sometimes 3 random warm bodies just to see if I got lucky. Pun/Spidey/OBW won me more than one match.