Upcoming Patch R60 Discussion

Options

Comments

• mischiefmaker
    Options
    Nellyson wrote:
    So is this update going to go live anytime soon? We have brand new events right now, so this would be a great time to implement it! You know, start the event with the update rather than wait till the middle or end of it. That'd be great!
    I was also hoping for an update to start the PvE event, since that seems like the lowest impact, but the gating factor may be third-party (Apple/Goolge) approvals, which would mean it's out of Demiurge's hands at this point.
  • IceIX wrote:

PLEASE NOTE: We are planning on making R60 a required update immediately after release so that all players are utilizing the same updated character roster. The current ETA for the patch is unknown until it is approved by first parties, but we are anticipating the patch to go Live no later than 9/5.

It's almost 9/5. Does that mean that the forced update will be released during the MIDDLE of a major pvp/pve event? Lots of people will not be happy. Early starters will be exploiting the Patchneto teams in pvp/pve while the late starters won't be able to.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Options
    IceIX wrote:

PLEASE NOTE: We are planning on making R60 a required update immediately after release so that all players are utilizing the same updated character roster. The current ETA for the patch is unknown until it is approved by first parties, but we are anticipating the patch to go Live no later than 9/5.

It's almost 9/5. Does that mean that the forced update will be released during the MIDDLE of a major pvp/pve event? Lots of people will not be happy. Early starters will be exploiting the Patchneto teams in pvp/pve while the late starters won't be able to.

It would make sense for them to deploy the update after the lightning rounds end tomorrow in which Cmags is a featured character....
  • Thanos wrote:
    IceIX wrote:

It would make sense for them to deploy the update after the lightning rounds end tomorrow in which Cmags is a featured character....

Why not before? The ensuing chaos would be amazing.
  • rabscutle wrote:
    Thanos wrote:
    IceIX wrote:

Why not before? The ensuing chaos would be amazing.

Agreed, the amount of people **** at the same time here would be hilarious
  • orionpeace
    orionpeace Posts: 343 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I was really hoping they wouldn't release that kind of update on a Friday though.

I know it allows them to dodge much of the **** that will ensue, but it also means they have less availability to fix any genuine bugs that dramatically impact the game.

Oh well. Maybe that, too, is part of "The Plan".
  • Demiurge_Will
    Demiurge_Will Posts: 346 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Oldboy wrote:
    "- Countdown tiles placed by Team-Up abilities will no longer be cleared when a character is downed"

Ummm while most ppl are focused on the character changes, i'd just like to comment that Countdown tiles for Team Up abilities SHOULD disappear if one of the characters go down. This applies to normal CD abilities when the character that has the CD ability (eg Mod Hawkeye, MNMag) goes down and should apply to CD Team Up abilities as well. It should be tagged to the opponent character that the player is facing at the point of use/appearance.

When normal opponent Countdown tiles appear, we can deactivate it by either matching it or taking down the opponent character that activated it. Dont see why it should be different for TU CD abilities.

Good questions, Oldboy. We felt it should be different because it doesn't make intuitive sense that downing Storm would get rid of a Team-Up Hawkeye's Countdown tile. It might be tactically interesting, but it's hard to learn and understand and doesn't tell a Marvel story.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Good questions, Oldboy. We felt it should be different because it doesn't make intuitive sense that downing Storm would get rid of a Team-Up Hawkeye's Countdown tile. It might be tactically interesting, but it's hard to learn and understand and doesn't tell a Marvel story.

Sentry starting a World Rupture and then leaving isn't a good story.
    Captain Rogers flinging his shield and leaving without it isn't a good story.
    Human Torch putting down a Flame Jet and leaving isn't a good story. (And it's more powerful than HT's ability since it doesn't cost Green AP)
    Psylocke starting a psychic ability and leaving before it resolves makes no sense.
    Magneto MN building up a magnetic attack and leaving before it resolves doesn't make sense.

On the other hand....
    A Molotov Cocktail that doesn't care if Punisher is alive does make sense
    Hawkeye's arrows blowing up without him does make sense
    Daredevil or Nick Fury putting down a trap and then leaving does make sense, but isn't a good story.
  • Demiurge_Will
    Options
    - Are 2* Daken blue covers going be added to story mode as rewards instead of some of the black/purple ones?
    There was one prologue mission that had 2 Daken Purples and a Daken Black in the rewards. One of those Purples will become a blue. That will only matter to you if you haven't earned the reward in that slot yet.

(It's possible this particular change will lag the release of R60 by a bit.)
    - Are 2* Daken blue covers going be added to Shield training rewards instead of some of the black/purple ones?
    No change to the placement & progression rewards of currently running events. In future events, blue covers will show up in roughly the same proportion as black/purple ones.
    - Are 2* Daken blue covers going be added to basic/heroic tokens as soon as R60 patch is released?
    Yep!
    - Is a level shift going to happen to already maxed out 2* Daken?
    If you have a level 78 Daken (Dark Avengers Wolverine) in R59, he'll still be level 78 in R60. He just won't be max level anymore. You'll be able to find & train his 3rd power, raise his level cap, and level him up to 94 just like a usual 5/5/0 3-ability character.
  • Demiurge_Will
    Options

Human Torch putting down a Flame Jet and leaving isn't a good story. (And it's more powerful than HT's ability since it doesn't cost Green AP)
    Psylocke starting a psychic ability and leaving before it resolves makes no sense.
    Magneto MN building up a magnetic attack and leaving before it resolves doesn't make sense.

On the other hand....
    Daredevil or Nick Fury putting down a trap and then leaving does make sense, but isn't a good story.

In your first batch of examples, I'd always pictured the Team-Up character getting ready behind the front lines, coming in and doing their thing when the Countdown tile goes off, and then leaving. But yeah, the stories of what a Countdown tile means (is it pulling back a bow? concentrating? preparing? the time it takes for something to fly through the air? fire spreading?) are varied, and there's a tradeoff between respecting the ways those stories differ and wanting mechanical consistency & predictability.

While making things feel as true to the comics as possible is something we consider in every decision about game mechanics, and I think this solution is the most Marvel, the potential for confusion (when your Countdown from a Team-Up goes away due to an apparently random character being downed) is the bigger factor in this particular decision.
  • SunCrusher
    SunCrusher Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hey Will,

Don't know if you're still hanging around the thread, but if it's possible, I would like to ask a question and my question is this:

Where I really appreciate the effort gone into rebalancing and funbalancing the game, I also feel like the game is in a greater state of flux than a greater state of stability.

I understand the purpose (well, okay, generally understand because obviously, I can't understand something that you guys are considering for the future but haven't expressed to us) of buffs and nerfs and gameplay tweaks and the like, but... why so many and why so often?

I guess what I'm asking is, what can a player expect when it comes to 'stability' with this game?

Should I be expecting that all of my favorite characters are going to get tweaked at some point?

Is there any kind of a general guideline or summary that you can give us regarding what to expect for the near and not-so-near future?

Thank you in advance,
    SunCrusher

P.S: I'm so curious I just have to ask; why swap out Magneto's Purple? He and Psylocke are literally the most 'Purple' characters I know of regarding the original X-Men characters.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Oldboy wrote:
    "- Countdown tiles placed by Team-Up abilities will no longer be cleared when a character is downed"

Ummm while most ppl are focused on the character changes, i'd just like to comment that Countdown tiles for Team Up abilities SHOULD disappear if one of the characters go down. This applies to normal CD abilities when the character that has the CD ability (eg Mod Hawkeye, MNMag) goes down and should apply to CD Team Up abilities as well. It should be tagged to the opponent character that the player is facing at the point of use/appearance.

When normal opponent Countdown tiles appear, we can deactivate it by either matching it or taking down the opponent character that activated it. Dont see why it should be different for TU CD abilities.

There are very few strategies to get rid of countdown abilities:
    You can remove the tile with an ability.
    You can match the tile away.
    You can down the opponent that generated the tile.

The first of these is not a solution to consider when countdown abilities are used by Team-Ups, as Team-Ups are chosen randomly. You cannot effectively plan the correct counter-abilities onto your own team for that without compromising effectiveness against your main opponents.

There are two general purpose strategies that would work; match the tile, or down the owning opponent. By giving Team-Ups no attached owner, you effectively make matching the tile the only general purpose solution and that fundamentally unbalances the power of countdown abilities: you can quite commonly get stuck with a screwed up board layout with an unreachable countdown tile. At that point, you usually stall the tile with stuns or wind back up the countdown (OBW's blue is kind of the poster-boy ability for that) and work on eliminating the opponent instead. Without an attached opponent owner, that doesn't work and one ill-positioned tile with a massive damage effect spells a loss of the match.

I think game balance and gameplay should supercede cosmetics and story correctness here.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Options

On the other hand....

In your first batch of examples, I'd always pictured the Team-Up character getting ready behind the front lines, coming in and doing their thing when the Countdown tile goes off, and then leaving. But yeah, the stories of what a Countdown tile means (is it pulling back a bow? concentrating? preparing? the time it takes for something to fly through the air? fire spreading?) are varied, and there's a tradeoff between respecting the ways those stories differ and wanting mechanical consistency & predictability.

While making things feel as true to the comics as possible is something we consider in every decision about game mechanics, and I think this solution is the most Marvel, the potential for confusion (when your Countdown from a Team-Up goes away due to an apparently random character being downed) is the bigger factor in this particular decision.

This has the effect of making the Team-up powers more powerful than when the same power is used by a team member.

One way to fix that
    1. Detach some of the traps/countdowns from their characters. If the character dies, that doesn't stop the countdown. This would be a minor buff for Daredevil, Punisher, Hawkeye, and Captain America.
    2. Remove a few Team-Up powers. Psylocke's Bewilder, Human Torch's Flame Jet, and Sentry's World Rupture.
    3. Iron Hammer. "Magneto forms a mass of shrapnel to hurl at his enemies." -> "Magneto forms a mass of shrapnel over his enemies." Detach countdown from character.

Magneto MN's Magnetic Flux could go either way. I'd prefer it detached and available as a Team-Up.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I thought sentry was already removed from TUs
  • NateDoggTac
    Options
    In response to the awaited mandatory update and getting permissions, I'm hoping perhaps could you at least send out a warning on the game windows when you open up the app? Something like "Hey guys, the new patch R60 will be rolling out at 12 pm EST" or something like that. I think a lot of people would appreciate it. (Especially the ones running on WiFi) I can recall a number of times I was elsewhere but unable to play because of that :\
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So anyone taking odds on the time the patch if forced through?

1 hour before the subs end?
    3 hours before the pvp ends?
    Both at the same time through some quantum superposition!?
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    So anyone taking odds on the time the patch if forced through?

1 hour before the subs end?
    3 hours before the pvp ends?
    Both at the same time through some quantum superposition!?

But will the patch air today? I am starting to doubt it :S :S :S :S

Common devs I want to try the new Mags and XForce !!! icon_razz.gif
  • Spoit wrote:
    I thought sentry was already removed from TUs

From AI TUs. He still drops them; you just won't see them used by the AI. At least that's how I understood the change.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

The late starters have known the change is imminent. If they didn't take advantage of Patchneto early, that's their fault, not a mid-event launches fault.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Options
    As others have pointed out, there seems to be typos in R60 announcements.
    1. Daken: "Changed color strengths from Black/Green/Purple to Black/Purple/Blue." (Daken's tile strength is Green/Black/Purple)
    2. X-Force: Surgical Strike damage, 5 covers -- starts at 265 damage per tile, maxes out at 270 damage per tile.

Here's what I've scraped together for the character compendium ... any fixes necessary?

[anchor=wolverine4]Wolverine (X-Force)[/anchor]
    4 Star Rarity (Legendary) Discussion link. Wiki link
    At Max Level: HP:10960 Tile damage: 64/09/11/10/73/82/4.0
      Surgical Strike - Black 11 AP
      Wolverine attacks with ruthless precision, crippling his enemy's ability to retaliate. Destroys every tile in the enemy team's strongest color, dealing 32 damage per tile. Does not generate AP.
        Level 2: Deals 87 damage per tile. Level 3: Deals 137 damage per tile. Level 4: Also reduces enemy AP in their strongest color by 10. Level 5: Deals 265 damage per tile. Destroyed tiles now generate AP.
      Max Level: 270 damage per tile
        X-Force - Green 8 AP
        Wolverine unleashes his berserker rage, cutting with his adamantium claws. Deals 164 damage and destroys 5 tiles in a 3×3 X-shaped pattern. Does not generate AP.
          Level 2: Deals 465 damage. Level 3: Destroys 9 tiles in a 5×5 X-shaped pattern. Level 4: Deals 1030 damage. Level 5: Deals 1731, then destroys 15 tiles in three 3×3 X-shaped patterns.
        Max Level: 3441 damage
          Recovery - Yellow 9 AP
          Wolverine's healing factor repairs his wounds, and he ferociously lashes out if interrupted. Places a 3-turn Yellow Countdown tile that heals for 1187 damage when activated. If the Countdown tile is matched, Wolverine destroys 6 random tiles, dealing 32 damage per tile. Does not generate AP.
            Level 2: Heals Wolverine for 1662 or deals 45 damage per tile. Level 3: Heals Wolverine for 2137 or deals 58 damage per tile. Level 4: Heals Wolverine for 3086 or deals 83 damage per tile. Level 5: Heals Wolverine for 4985 or destroys 9 tiles and deals 83 damage per tile.
          Max Level: Heals for 9989 or destroys 9 tiles and deals 164 damage per tile.

[anchor=daken3]Daken (Classic)[/anchor]
          3 Star Rarity (Rare) - Gold Character Discussion link. Wiki link.
          At Max Level: HP: 6800 Tile damage: 11/12/61/70/13/79/4.0
            Healing & Heat - Black Passive
            (PASSIVE) Daken’s healing factor allows him to recover 3% of his health every turn. If there are fewer than 9 Blue tiles, the terrible drug “Heat” kicks in, and he loses 3% of his health instead.
              Level 2: Heals 5% per turn. Level 3: 8 Blue tiles to avoid “Heat”. Level 4: Heals 7% per turn. Level 5: 7 Blue tiles to avoid “Heat”.
            Max Level: Heals 476HP/"Heat" 204 damage
              Pheremone Rage - Purple Passive
              (PASSIVE) Daken releases a scent that sets his enemies on edge, using their anger to his advantage. Whenever anyone makes a Green match, add a Red Strike tile to the board with a strength of 11.
                Level 2: 13 Strike tile strength Level 3: 15 Strike tile strength Level 4: 20 Strike tile strength Level 5: Creates 2 Strike tiles strength 14.
              Max Level: 2 Strength 46 Strike tiles
                Chemical Reaction - Blue 5 AP
                Daken springs a trap, but his addiction to "Heat" threatens to push him over the edge. Damages the target for 99, converts two blue tiles to green, and converts up to 2 friendly strike tiles to basic tiles doing 50 damage per strike tile converted.
                  Level 2: Increases cleared strike tile damage to 58. Level 3: Converts up to 3 Strike tiles (730 Base Damage + 420 per Strike tile * 3 tiles = 1990 damage). Level 4: Converts up to 4 Strike tiles (730 Base Damage + 420 per Strike tile * 4 tiles = 2410 damage). Level 5: Increases cleared Strike tile damage to 70 (730 Base Damage + 511 per strike tile * 4 tiles = 2774 damage).

[anchor=magneto3]Magneto (Classic)[/anchor]
                3 Star Rarity (Rare) Discussion link. Wiki link.
                At Max Level: HP: 6800 Tile damage: 79/70/61/11/12/13/3.2
                  Coercive Field - Yellow 9 AP
                  The air crackles as Magneto creates a force field of magnetic energy to protect his allies. Converts 6 random basic color tiles into strength 11 Protect tiles.
                    Level 2: Can convert enemy Protect, Strike and Attack tiles. Level 3: Converts 8 tiles. Level 4: Converts 9 tiles. Level 5: Creates strength 17 Protect tiles and can now also convert enemy Countdown tiles.
                  Max Level: Creates 9 Strength 53 Protect tiles
                    Polarizing Force - Red 8 AP
                    Magnet hurls a massive metal object towards the heart of the enemy team, landing with tremendous force and causing them to scatter. Destroys all Team-Up tiles, dealing 27 damage per tile. Does not generate AP.
                      Level 2: Deals 43 damage per tile. Level 3: Deals 49 damage per tile. Level 4: Deals 59 damage per tile. Level 5: Deals 81 damage per tile.
                    Max Level: 261 damage per tile
                      Magnetized Projectiles - Blue 10 AP
                      Magneto turns metallic objects into deadly projectiles, causing devastation and chaos. Swaps up to 5 random Blue tiles with Red tiles. Does 93 damage for each swap.
                        Level 2: Does 126 damage for each swap. Level 3: Swaps up to 6 tiles. Level 4: Does 169 damage for each swap. Level 5: Swaps up to 7 random tiles and does 224 damage for each swap.
                      Max Level: 713 damage per swap. Max damage of 4991.

[anchor=daken2]Daken (Dark Avengers Wolverine)[/anchor]
                      2 Star Rarity (Uncommon) Discussion link
                      At Max Level: HP: 3280 Tile damage: 08/09/32/37/09/41/4.0
                        Healing & Heat - Black Passive
                        (PASSIVE) Daken’s healing factor allows him to recover 3% of his health every turn. If there are fewer than 9 Blue tiles, the terrible drug “Heat” kicks in, and he loses 3% of his health instead.
                          Level 2: Heals 4% per turn. Level 3: Heals 5% per turn. Level 4: 8 Blue tiles to avoid “Heat”. Level 5: 7 Blue tiles to avoid “Heat”.
                        Max Level: Heals 196HP/"Heat" 117 damage.
                          Pheremone Rage - Purple Passive
                          (PASSIVE) Daken releases a scent that sets his enemies on edge, using their anger to his advantage. Whenever anyone makes a Green match, add a Red Strike tile to the board of strength 5.
                            Level 2: 6 Strike tile strength. Level 3: 7 Strike tile strength. Level 4: 8 Strike tile strength. Level 5: 9 Strike tile strength.
                          Max Level: 46 Strike tile strength.
                            Chemical Reaction - Blue 5 AP
                            Daken springs a trap, but his addiction to "Heat" threatens to push him over the edge. Damages the target for 100, converts two 2 Blue tiles to Green, and converts up to 2 friendly Strike tiles to basic tiles, doing 50 damage per Strike tile converted.
                              Level 2: Increases cleared Strike tile damage to 54. Level 3: Increases cleared Strike tile damage to 58. Level 4: Converts up to 3 Strike tiles. Level 5: Up to 4 friendly Strike tiles converted for 73 damage.
                            Max Level: 515 base damage, 373 per strike tile, up to 4.

[anchor=hawkeye2]Hawkeye (Modern)[/anchor]
                            2 Star Rarity (Uncommon) Discussion link
                            At Max Level: HP: 3280 Tile damage: 11/43/49/55/09/10/4.5
                              Electric Arrow - Blue 9 AP
                              Hawkeye fires an arrow that delivers a high-voltage electric shock when it hits. Changes a chosen basic Blue tile into a 3-turn Countdown tile. When it activates, stuns the target for 2 turns and reduces enemy AP in a random color by 4.
                                Level 2: Reduces enemy AP in a random color by 6. Level 3: Reduces enemy AP in two random colors by 4 each. Level 4: Creates a 2-turn Countdown tile. Level 5: When it activates, stuns the target for 3 turns.[/u]
                                Blast Arrow - Red 9 AP
                                Clint lines up the perfect shot. When it hits, it creates a massive explosion. Changes a chosen basic Red tile into a 4-turn Countdown tile. When it activates, deals 200 damage to all enemies.
                                  Level 2: 221 damage. Level 3: Reduces countdown to 3 turns. Level 4: 238 damage Level 5: Reduces countdown to 2 turns.
                                Max Level: 1225 damage
                                  Speed Shot - Purple Passive
                                  (PASSIVE) Hawkeye nocks multiple arrows and lets them fly. Is on now, bro. Whenever you match 5 or more tiles, converts up to 3 Purple tiles to 3-turn Countdown tiles that deal 154 damage when activated.
                                    Level 2: Each arrow deals 169 damage. Level 3: Each arrow deals 183 damage. Level 4: Places 4 Countdown tiles. Level 5: Places 2-turn Countdown tiles.
                                  Max Level: 947 damage per arrow