*** The Hulk (Indestructible) ***

Comments

• Imho the important one is black. The rest can be 3/5, 5/3, or 4/4

I personally would go with green though. Green raise in level will increase the damage, not just tiles destroyed. Think of it as a Juggernaut crash that does far more damage, and costs more as well.

Red is situational. Apart from the tired "there are better red skills to use" reason, and the limited to usage in order to prevent backlash damage, it costs far too much AP to deal enough damage imho.
  • I forgot that the red ability also uses up some green AP (at least I believe it does based on the description and what I think I've been seeing). Hmm...5/3/5 is looking even better.
  • Pretty sure green damage only scales with character level, not power level. I agree that 5 black is the important one, but I'm definitely going 3/5/5. The marginal improvement in green (3 extra tiles destroyed) just doesn't seem nearly as good as the marginal improvement in red (minimum 400ish more damage, maximum 2700 more damage).
  • What about the red power "consuming up to 10 of the team's green AP" though? Consuming 14 red and up to 10 green AP seems to make it pretty costly.
  • Doesn't bother me. On offense, I'll pair Hulk with Rags, in which case I'll be swimming in green (assuming I ever want to use Hulk's red over Rags' red). On defense, I don't expect that 5 green will ever win me a fight, but 5 red, on the other hand, might. Certainly I would much rather go up against a 5/3/5 Hulk than a 3/5/5 Hulk.

I guess 5 green might be a bit more versatile, since the red power is so expensive for teams that don't generate green easily, but I still don't think the marginal benefit of 5 green is worth it. Check the comments from fulu in the "Hulk/Punisher worth leveling?" thread in General Discussion; seems like he's played with a L90 Hulk quite a bit.
  • I'm wrecking with my 3/3/5 Hulk. I actually don't use green/red at all. Anger really helps in that "final showdown" of the Hulk mission...and in fact wrecked face for Punisher to spam Judgement. I'm starting to love him as a tank now. I used a team of Hulk/Punisher/Spidey, all lvl 60-63, and for some reason it worked. You expect an overlap of green/red with Hulk/Punisher, but Hulk tanks green/red matches for Punisher to use his abilities which worked amazingly.
  • TheHood
    TheHood Posts: 107
    The red skill consumes 14 red AP and 10 Green AP at max level?
    If you have 14 AP but not 10 green AP, you can't fire it?
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    Pretty sure green damage only scales with character level, not power level. I agree that 5 black is the important one, but I'm definitely going 3/5/5. The marginal improvement in green (3 extra tiles destroyed) just doesn't seem nearly as good as the marginal improvement in red (minimum 400ish more damage, maximum 2700 more damage).

I guarantee you, Clap increases damage with Power Level as well. It is not stated, but it does indeed increase the damage.

If you don't believe me, compare like a Lv 15 Hulk with 2 green covers to a fresh new Lv 15 cover and see the difference yourself.

Neither his green nor red skill are game-enders. But between a skill I'll most likely never use, and a skill that is not totally ****, I think I'll take my chances with green.

Like I said, think of it has a costly Juggernaut crash that deals more damage. It will cause cascades if yer lucky.
  • TheHood wrote:

You can still use it. It will just take whatever green AP you have if you have 10 or less. The damage will be fixed at around 3k level cap though.

Ideally, you will still want to have as much green as possible, as if you have near 30 green, the damage is phenomenal. If you can get that far.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    mechgouki wrote:
    TheHood wrote:
    You can still use it. It will just take whatever green AP you have if you have 10 or less. The damage will be fixed at around 3k level cap though.

Ideally, you will still want to have as much green as possible, as if you have near 30 green, the damage is phenomenal. If you can get that far.
    Or you could use that 30 AP to fire Thunderous Clap three times, dealing a total of (at max level, unbuffed) 3069 damage plus tile damage for destroying a minimum of 23, 18, and 13 tiles each time, plus any cascades and their AP generation, never have to worry about using it at the wrong time and damaging your team, and still have that red AP to do something else.

As kitties go, Smash is a tiny one. Please raise it to five so I can fight weaker Hulks.
  • nihilium
    nihilium Posts: 242
    Stupid questions, but somehow this discussion lost me a while ago icon_e_sad.gif

My Hulk is 3/0/1 atm and I still have a green cover lying around.
    I dont have any playable *** chars, so him clashing with rags isnt really a problem that concerns me.

That said. Do I add the 4th green cover and go for 5/3/5 or maybe 4/4/5 or something like that or is that an awesome reason why I should not add the 4th green cover?
  • nihilium wrote:
    Stupid questions, but somehow this discussion lost me a while ago icon_e_sad.gif

My Hulk is 3/0/1 atm and I still have a green cover lying around.
    I dont have any playable *** chars, so him clashing with rags isnt really a problem that concerns me.

That said. Do I add the 4th green cover and go for 5/3/5 or maybe 4/4/5 or something like that or is that an awesome reason why I should not add the 4th green cover?

Between my last post on page 6 and yours everyone has more or less been discussing this question (thanks all!) so check those out to catch up.
  • Doesn't bother me. On offense, I'll pair Hulk with Rags, in which case I'll be swimming in green (assuming I ever want to use Hulk's red over Rags' red). On defense, I don't expect that 5 green will ever win me a fight, but 5 red, on the other hand, might. Certainly I would much rather go up against a 5/3/5 Hulk than a 3/5/5 Hulk.

Good points. However, for me I think if I paired Hulk with Rags I would much rather spam Rags' red than wait for it to build up for Hulk. Regarding defense, I think if someone were to go after my team they would regardless of my Hulk build. I would have him with Rags anyway (well, most likely) so I'm thinking the AI would spam Rags' red before Hulk's anyway. And maybe the green would trigger some cascades? (I know, pretty pathetic to have to pin my hopes on luck. But at least there's a chance. lol) I know it sounds like I'm totally and completely towing the 5 green line, but I'm just sharing my thoughts and am still not sure.

KholdStare88, your comment about pairing with Punisher sounds great, and I hope to be able to experiment with that team once I get more Punisher covers. (Stuck at 1/2/2 which is driving me insane; I have no idea how people were able to get so many Punishers through the events. I just got a megaton of Caps and Wolvies. lol)
  • I am going 5/3/5 for the simple reason that on offense I can use 14 red and some amount of green better then a single Smash. On defense Smash will likely never be used. There are only 4 characters that are 3*** that do not have a red ability, they are Spidey, Doom, Loki, and The Hood. If Hulk/Doom/Spidey is your dream team then 5 in red is great. If you use any other 3*** character, they have a red power and guess what, it costs less then 14 red. So Smash will never be used on defense.
    IM-40 13 red
    Rag 2-6 red
    Mag 2-6 red
    Punisher 8 red
    Grey Widow 12 red
    In fact I think that Hulk has the second most expensive red skill after X-force Wolvie, so any other red skill character will trump Smash.

EDIT: Grey Widow's red usage is actually 12-17 red, but almost everyone is going to stop at level 3 which costs 14 red. It then becomes a toss up between Widow and Hulk who gets to use the red.
  • Good points. For sure on offense you're unlikely to ever use Smash. But I'm thinking that in a Rag/Spidey/Hulk team, everyone is going to save Hulk for last, in which case Smash might get used.
  • Good points. For sure on offense you're unlikely to ever use Smash. But I'm thinking that in a Rag/Spidey/Hulk team, everyone is going to save Hulk for last, in which case Smash might get used.

That's exactly the scenario that has me contemplating going to 4 with red. But still, as I see it the mentality behind it is "if everyone else dies/if nobody else has a red skill, then Hulk can step in". I'm not sure if that's enough to make me want to sell the 5th green cover that I have waiting. As it stands I'm at a max level of 77 with 4/2/2 and 22k ISO left. I may just end up going 5 green, spend the 22k leveling him up and be done with it. lol Still hoping to somehow get those additional 3 black covers though (not to mention all the Punisher ones I need).

This is an excellent discussion though. Thanks for all the constructive feedback thus far.

That is true, but it's another edge case. I would like to try and make him useful in as many situations as possible. And to me in a Rag/Hulk/Spidey team, on offense I will wait for the extra 4 green for Hulk's green ability instead of Godlike Power. On defense there is even the possibility of hitting 10+ green AP with the green generating machine that is Rag.
  • Kauai wrote:
    I'm not sure if that's enough to make me want to sell the 5th green cover that I have waiting. As it stands I'm at a max level of 77 with 4/2/2 and 22k ISO left. I may just end up going 5 green, spend the 22k leveling him up and be done with it. lol Still hoping to somehow get those additional 3 black covers though (not to mention all the Punisher ones I need).

I feel ya; I'm 3/2/2 with a green cover and considering the same. I still think red is better but I think it's kind of like Wolverine's green (or Spider Man's blue, etc) -- as long as you have 5 black, it probably doesn't matter a whole lot whether you go 3/5/5, 4/4/5, or 5/3/5.
  • So I bit the bullet and used that last green cover to make him 5/2/2, and maxed his level to 89. Tried using him in Double Shot (paired with IM 40 lvl 100 5/5/3 and Rags lvl 102 5/5), and just had fun with Rags and Hulk hitting anything in front of them. (IM is basically just taking up space. lol) The Hulk green is good for shaking up the board, and in many matches once I got 6 or so red for Rags it was pretty much over. On several occasions the Hulk green would trigger some decent cascades.

Not regretting going 5 in green. We'll see as time goes by if it was the right call or not.
  • hum hum ....
    hulk's best compagnion is more simple than we are thinking :
    Modern Hawkeye and his purple ability of course