The Hulk - Aug 13 - 17

Options

Comments

• Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'll put it into perspective. Server crashes are bad, but are understandable to a degree. I would categorize it as accidental or unplanned.

Having a pve with this structure--sub lengths and no fury alliance reward--is inexcusable. The reason is that this was totally on their control and was done with purpose. To do so on the last pve of the season and with fury rewards just makes the failure in judgment stand out that much more.

There is no, none, nada, nil, zero justification to run this pve in this format.

I understand these are strong(ish) words. But, I have nothing positive to say of this incarnation of this pve. They even managed to mess up the free hulk node. Last run, it was 50% green, 25% red, and 25% black. This run, 100% green.
    It was 100% green the first time
  • Duckyv, its been a pleasure grinding with you. I shall sleep well tonight
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Looking at the top 10 scores I'm pretty sure I could've gotten top 10 without having to restructure my life schedule around it. They probably could've dial back the hardcore meter on this event some though, but as long as Magneto is around for PvE it'd be pretty hard to not have every event with a weak rubberband turn into some kind of insane grindfest.

Id be scared to see what a pve would look like without cmags: would people start spending hp to buy health packs?
  • I was camping for a good chunk of the weekend so I decided to wait until the last day, suck it up that I'd not get anything good due to a day old bracket, and resign myself to some ISO and maybe a free Hulk cover.

Started once I got home today and was delighted to find myself in a brand spanking new main. I was player 20. We ended with 271 players.

In spite of eking out the win, I can honestly say this is the least fun I've had in a PVE in a long time. I did a couple clears, and a last hour grind. And it was miserable and made me want to not play the game. I can't imagine how anyone is still sane if they did the 2.5 hour schedule for the last few days with this.

I liked team-ups when they were introduced, but they've gotten to be oppressive. Since it's a hassle to keep equipping them to use them up, and we can't get rid of bad ones, I've played maybe 3 fights in the last couple weeks with them. But the AI has 3 of them every fight. And with the limited pool that they're pulling from (Dark Avengers) for the PVE, it's just nasty skill spam every fight. I know it's getting fixed in the next patch, but that patch can't come soon enough.

MXsFN6K.jpg

Here's to looking forward to hopefully a light week where the game can just be enjoyable.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I joined with ~45 minutes left to go. Managed #86 in the main, and that Black Psylocke cover is the last one I need to finish my build - so it's probably more useful than a Fury. I think I also managed somewhere in top #50 for the two subs that were open.
    Finished my Hulk a long time ago, but picked up that 500 ISO.
    Only "reward" I really missed out on was the Token, since I totalled only 4094 points.

Just to clarify: Not trying to boast or brag. I figure there's more than enough data around top ranking for players that put in the hard yards, but it's probably also valuable to know what can be earned for less than an hour's effort and getting to enjoy the weekend.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    j12601 wrote:
    I can't imagine how anyone is still sane if they did the 2.5 hour schedule for the last few days with this.
    I don't know either.

I hit every node once, apart from the stupidly short subs where I had to cherry-pick the high point ones and an extra go at the hard essentials in the last 15 minutes. That was enough to put me top 50 and still have time to do other things. Like have a life icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm going to wait to see if fury is featured in the next event, but now that we've finally had his release event I can retire in peace icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Spoit wrote:
    I'll put it into perspective. Server crashes are bad, but are understandable to a degree. I would categorize it as accidental or unplanned.

Having a pve with this structure--sub lengths and no fury alliance reward--is inexcusable. The reason is that this was totally on their control and was done with purpose. To do so on the last pve of the season and with fury rewards just makes the failure in judgment stand out that much more.

There is no, none, nada, nil, zero justification to run this pve in this format.

I understand these are strong(ish) words. But, I have nothing positive to say of this incarnation of this pve. They even managed to mess up the free hulk node. Last run, it was 50% green, 25% red, and 25% black. This run, 100% green.
    It was 100% green the first time

That's why I said last run (not first), they had all the covers.
  • j12601 wrote:
    I was camping for a good chunk of the weekend so I decided to wait until the last day, suck it up that I'd not get anything good due to a day old bracket, and resign myself to some ISO and maybe a free Hulk cover.

Started once I got home today and was delighted to find myself in a brand spanking new main. I was player 20. We ended with 271 players.

I needed to spruik the idea of "start in the last two hours for Fury!" more on the forums. I joined the event with about 45 minutes on the clock, hoping to get into a shiny new bracket, and instead ended up as like the 250th player in a bracket where the lead had over 20,000 points. Epic fail. Needed more people doing it.
  • Rusalka
    Rusalka Posts: 155
    Options
    Well, this event was no fun at all. I'm impressed by the devs' ability to make a PVE that simultaneously moves way too fast and feels like a grindfast that never ends.

Still, I got the two Psylocke covers I wanted, so at least it wasn't entirely useless.
  • Managed the hang in for a top 10 finish without losing any sleep. Did very little other than blitz sub end up until the last day, then hit three of four refreshes on the last subs and finished strong. I'll take a Fury cover and some Iso for that. I'm more annoyed they shorted the HP rewards for the subs. 50 for top 2, 25 for top 10, and not a damn thing for everyone else is ****. If they're going to compress events and machinegun subs at us the least they could do is reward us appropriately for putting in the effort to keep up.

Also, I'm going to go ahead and repost this little gem here from the post-True-Healing fallout conversation, because...well, just because.
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    When unlimited healing is available, the playing field shifts away from strategy and towards sheer number of matches finished. Before the change, we heard a lot of folks say that they felt forced to play too many hours in a day to be competitive.

I'm curious then how you justify the move to 2.5 hour refreshes in PvE. You might be able to rubberband up into contention at the end, but if you're not hitting every refresh you're falling behind the guy who is. How is this not exactly what you claim to be trying to eliminate with the healing change?

That's a fair point and a good question.

In that case, the need to make the points refresh mechanic as clear and understandable as possible outweighed the fact that it adds additional time pressure for top-scoring players. (Only the top ~0.2% or so of players seem to be changing the way they play to hit the refreshes precisely. For most folks, playing a few more missions is a more efficient way to improve their standing than timing refreshes.)

I had a conversation earlier this week about ways to make this better. Nothing in progress about that right now, but we're floating some ideas.
  • Phillipes
    Phillipes Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    After some crazy grinding I finished 6th in main.
    My Fury is 1-0-1 now, so useless as before. icon_neutral.gif
  • Videocrazy
    Videocrazy Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I grinded a lot, and even though I missed the subs that were only up for an hour or so, I still managed to finish second with 92289 points. Now I /finally/ have Nick Fury (and at least one cover of every single character), and his two best powers to boot.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Looking at the top 10 scores I'm pretty sure I could've gotten top 10 without having to restructure my life schedule around it. They probably could've dial back the hardcore meter on this event some though, but as long as Magneto is around for PvE it'd be pretty hard to not have every event with a weak rubberband turn into some kind of insane grindfest.

Id be scared to see what a pve would look like without cmags: would people start spending hp to buy health packs?

If they didn't do so for the limited roster event which I don't think has ever included CMag, why would they start now? At least for a normal reward PvE I don't see anything really changing. Now if Nick Fury shows up in a limited roster event that doesn't have Magneto on the roster, that'd be quite interesting.
  • 11th place. Hurts.

Had three insane runs against a juggernaut half my level, three headbutts in ONE turn in two games and four in two turns in the next. Bought health packs after the second stupid game, didnt have enough for more, lost to tenth by 300 points...

I knew I shouldn't have left the house on saturday.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Videocrazy wrote:
    I missed the subs that were only up for an hour or so
    There were subs that were only up for an hour??
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm surprised at how high I've placed (#45), considering I just did one pass on each node (except the last 2, where I repeated them for ISO's).
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Videocrazy wrote:
    I missed the subs that were only up for an hour or so
    There were subs that were only up for an hour??
    Yup.

We hit the global target for Hulk to appear with about 1:15 left to run on the 3rd(?) set of subs so that opened the first pair of Hidden Stash subs at the same time. It really was blink and you'll miss them.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Not only did those two subs go up with just over an hour left in the day, but that was the same night that the grey suit Widow PvP ended, and there were two existing subs that were *also* set to close that night, so if you were trying to do everything there were five events to juggle at once. To put it lightly, that was not planned well.
  • For 100% my bracket was one where you had to pretty much hit each node every 3-4 hours over the four days in order to comfortably rank top 10. The guys at #1 and #2 in my bracket were so far ahead I'm not sure they could have missed more than one or two optimal refreshes.

I got my top 10 placing but with hindsight of the amount of effort needed I wouldn't have bothered, but once you're in deep enough to know it's too late to stop (or so it feels). I didn't need Psylocke covers so it was very much 'all or nothing' and when I slept through the end of one of the subs on Saturday I thought I'd be out of contention, but re-established my position with about 12 hours to go in the event.

The devs really need to rethink this 2.5hrs refresh thing, especially if Nick Fury type rewards are limitted to the top 10 because it isn't healthy to expect people to disrupt their sleeping patterns in order to play a mobile game. 6 or 8 hours would allow people time to have a life.