The Hulk - Aug 13 - 17

Options

Comments

• Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I dunno about a day later, but at the end of the first sub, brackets were closing like every 20 minutes or so
  • Been lurking a while, but this is my first post, came over here from the Transformers Legends forum (tflunited.com for anyone that plays that game too).

Those Rags and Jugg node with green generating goons are definitely broken, just like a couple Moonstone nodes. The PvE events have a real problem with cheap powers with AP feed to them by goons. I might be wrong but it also seems that higher level goons produce more AP per turn. Deadly shot is also broken, but it doesn't much bother me since I can usually avoid it. I tried posting a topic with my suggestion for a fix, but I guess since I'm new I have a timeout period before I can make new topics (or I just couldn't figure it out), so here it is:

Increase the required AP for a skill by whatever number the goons make per turn.

This either requires the AI to match that color, or at least limits the use to every second or third turn. Goons make 4 green? Rags now needs 10 for godlike power. 4 purple? Moonstone needs 11 for gravity warp. It fixes all colors for all Marvel character skills by simply making them more expensive. It also keeps the easy/hard/deadly balance because goons will still make proportionally more AP for the skill at level 100 than they do at level 30.

I tried searching to see if this has been suggested before, so if it has, my bad.
  • Spoit wrote:
    I dunno about a day later, but at the end of the first sub, brackets were closing like every 20 minutes or so

And it always happens this way. As long as all the people in your main joined during the same sub and you hit the end of the sub hard you will always be within touch. In fact I normally join either 2,3 or 4 refreshes before the close of the first sub, depending on its run time. I see the same people quite often in my mains so I am sure I am not the only one.

Join any main after the first sub has closed and you have got a chance of joining one where a percentage of people have completed an extra sub. They get that much of a head start that is next to impossible to pull in unless you hit every refresh every time and hope they do not.

As the event progresses less and less people join so the chances of this happening increase. There are ways to reduce the chances of this by using two accounts. However this is the gamble for trying to get the top rewards with only doing the last few subs.
  • Been lurking a while, but this is my first post, came over here from the Transformers Legends forum (tflunited.com for anyone that plays that game too).

Those Rags and Jugg node with green generating goons are definitely broken, just like a couple Moonstone nodes. The PvE events have a real problem with cheap powers with AP feed to them by goons. I might be wrong but it also seems that higher level goons produce more AP per turn. Deadly shot is also broken, but it doesn't much bother me since I can usually avoid it. I tried posting a topic with my suggestion for a fix, but I guess since I'm new I have a timeout period before I can make new topics (or I just couldn't figure it out), so here it is:

Increase the required AP for a skill by whatever number the goons make per turn.

This either requires the AI to match that color, or at least limits the use to every second or third turn. Goons make 4 green? Rags now needs 10 for godlike power. 4 purple? Moonstone needs 11 for gravity warp. It fixes all colors for all Marvel character skills by simply making them more expensive. It also keeps the easy/hard/deadly balance because goons will still make proportionally more AP for the skill at level 100 than they do at level 30.

I tried searching to see if this has been suggested before, so if it has, my bad.

Moonstone + purple can be handled easily by having Daken or Spiderman since all you need is a single special tile out to slow down Gravity Warp, but the other cases are indeed pretty broken.

I don't think the villian should get free APs from goons. Sure if the villian is downed the goons can go back to generating AP, but they shouldn't be generating AP while the villian is alive. Imagine you could use only 1 character but that guy gets +4 AP of some color (possibly more than one color), that'd still be much stronger than just about any team of 3, and the goons usually have decent abilities to use and they always have rainbow coverage on match strength, which is not an insignificant contribution to overall damage.
  • It might not be too bad since I appear to be in striking distance of Psylocke.
    It's fair that Fury shouldn't be that easy to get but I was mostly irritated that the leader had 30k already. That's just a humongous number. So that bracket had been open quite long already.
    If I get a Psylocke I am happy enough since the alternative was joining very early and that wasn't going to happen with 2 12 hour subs.
    I'd welcome more open communication regarding which events will have RB and which will not.

As for the nodes, Spiderman plus widow to spam protect tiles and a third heavyhitter who uses all the stolen AP seems to work. For the second to last Jugs Rags and Healer Node one should probably take in a Blue Storm Teamup.
  • Phantron wrote:
    PPPlaya wrote:
    So joined my bracket. First one has 30k already and there is no rubberbanding. Doing all the main nodes gives like 2k.

Now I must ask, is this a joke?

RB or no I am fine with either. But not communicating how the scoring is going to work and then putting newcomers into impossible brackets is tinykitty of the highest magnitude. If you don't join the Event during the first couple hours there is no way of predicting where you will end up. I imagine plenty of people who joined a day late were also put in brackets where the first had a 10k or more lead. There is no way to make up for that since the subs are separate.

I'm not angry with you Demiurge, I am just dissappointed.

Joining an event late is supposed to be a risk.

Nonsense. Nobody shot off a starting pistol. The man did not oversleep.

The game is casual f2p. Players who join an event when they have time should not be punished by finding themselves in a day-old shard. There is no excuse for basing brackets on anything but join time in a short event with negligible RB.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:

I don't think the villian should get free APs from goons. Sure if the villian is downed the goons can go back to generating AP, but they shouldn't be generating AP while the villian is alive. Imagine you could use only 1 character but that guy gets +4 AP of some color (possibly more than one color), that'd still be much stronger than just about any team of 3, and the goons usually have decent abilities to use and they always have rainbow coverage on match strength, which is not an insignificant contribution to overall damage.

It's not the increased AI intelligence route, but having the nodes increase in difficulty through auto-feed AP is just as nightmare inducing as having the AI play perfectly. I see no problem with them doing this, though these should be the 500 pt nodes, not the 200 ones.
  • Ghast wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    PPPlaya wrote:
    So joined my bracket. First one has 30k already and there is no rubberbanding. Doing all the main nodes gives like 2k.

RB or no I am fine with either. But not communicating how the scoring is going to work and then putting newcomers into impossible brackets is tinykitty of the highest magnitude. If you don't join the Event during the first couple hours there is no way of predicting where you will end up. I imagine plenty of people who joined a day late were also put in brackets where the first had a 10k or more lead. There is no way to make up for that since the subs are separate.

The game is casual f2p. Players who join an event when they have time should not be punished by finding themselves in a day-old shard. There is no excuse for basing brackets on anything but join time in a short event with negligible RB.

If there are guys with 30K points in his main bracket then he obviously weren't just a day late to join the event because nobody was anywhere close to 30K in the first couple of days.

If they close mains as sub ends like suggested in the Suggestion forum then you'd have to not place anybody in main brackets until a sub ends, otherwise the guys who join at the end potentially can have an extremely small main bracket which would be completely unfair to everyone else. I guess you can do something like say if there are 6300 people that played before the first sub ends, then you can break that into 7 main brackets of 900 each after the sub ends and they'd still be ordered by the time of entry so the first bracket would be 1-900, then 901-1800 and so on. Of course to do that you'd end up not able to know what your standing in the main bracket is until the sub ends and that might be pretty confusing, and this would never work on events that have no subs unless you want someone to never know what place they're currently in. Well, you can just show people's place as if the bracket is formed to 1000 and if the size turns out to be 900 then obviously anyone from rank 900 and down would have it bumped up after the reordering, while everyone above the cutoff point would have a placement that is unchanged.

After thinking about it some more I realized this wouldn't even work, because in the above scenario if #1-#900 (by time) are normal people, #901-#1100 are crazies, and #1101-2000 are normal people, then currently they roughly get distributed 100 each into two brackets. If you reorder the bracket size down to 900 then suddenly 200 crazies are in the same bracket and that'd likely be unfair to those guys and anyone who is unfortunate enough to be in that bracket. You could just never show your expected ranking and then no one would be able to tell if they're screwed or benefited from the system, but it's going to be pretty weird to have no idea what your main bracket placement is until the sub end. If you do show it, that's going to lead to massive complaining when you see you were doing well at #5 and then after the brackets are reordered 100 crazies suddenly bumped you to #105.
  • The could show where you are about right now if they had invisible dynamic brackets until the sub ends and they are broken up. You wouldn't know what bracket you are in but the percentile you are in could be displayed quite accurately. Since you dont see more than 19 people in your bracket at the time, I don't think it would be a huge issue not seeing who exactly is in yours at the beginning.

Btw how much AP are those goons actually feeding to Jugs? After just a couple of turns he had 28 Green AP!! If he weren't limited to one green ability per turn he could do it at least 2 times a turn.

Edit: It doesn't have to coincide with the end of a sub. They could time it every 12 or 24 hours. So that's a nonissue. I don't understand your point at the end. The order at which people join is completely random. Right now you can be in a bracket with 500 crazies if you joined at the wrong time (as I understand it). Is there big sharding going on in PVE? I figured it's nonexistent since people are getting those 1 Star Teams in their brackets.
  • PPPlaya wrote:
    The could show where you are about right now if they had invisible dynamic brackets until the sub ends and they are broken up. You wouldn't know what bracket you are in but the percentile you are in could be displayed quite accurately. Since you dont see more than 19 people in your bracket at the time, I don't think it would be a huge issue not seeing who exactly is in yours at the beginning.

Btw how much AP are those goons actually feeding to Jugs? After just a couple of turns he had 28 Green AP!! If he weren't limited to one green ability per turn he could do it at least 2 times a turn.

Edit: It doesn't have to coincide with the end of a sub. They could time it every 12 or 24 hours. So that's a nonissue. I don't understand your point at the end. The order at which people join is completely random. Right now you can be in a bracket with 500 crazies if you joined at the wrong time (as I understand it). Is there big sharding going on in PVE? I figured it's nonexistent since people are getting those 1 Star Teams in their brackets.

Sniper generates 2 green AP a turn and uses 0, so 2 of them gives him 4 green AP a turn. It's almost impossible for Juggernaut to run out of AP this way since Unstoppable Crash usually nets you quite a bit more.

Assuming the bracket later get reordered based on time of joining, let's imagine that we have 6300 people at the time of the reordering, so obviously this should be broken 7 brackets of 900. Assuming we want to preserve the original timebased system then you'd put the guys who joined the event 1-900 into one bracket, and so on.

Suppose we show a percentile and you see that you're in the top 10% overall. However your bracket of 900 is all crazies, so when the bracket gets formed you found out you're placed #450. This will likely lead to a ragequit.

Suppose we show what your ranking would be assuming a 1000 bracket, but let's say you're in the 1001-2000 time of joining, and it's showing that you're doing well at #10, except later the bracket was formed from #901-1800, and #901-#1000 are all crazies, so you fell to #110. This will likely also lead to a ragequit.

Yes all these scenarios could happen to the benefit of the player, and they probably already happen in the game in the sense that you could already join the bracket with 100 crazies that knock you to #110 instead of #10 in a normal bracket. But at least these things aren't things happening behind your back. If we're to implement the reordering system, you'd see your rank change, possibly drastically, after the reordering and nothing good can happen from that. On top of that it'd be more work to implement. While all these bad luck scenarios already exist, currently you know your bad luck is there at the time of joining. I think it'd be far worse if you played and were doing great and then suddenly fall a lot of places after the brackets are reordered.
  • When you join you are put into invisible dynamic brackets that function like they are right now but you don't see your exact placement. The percentile would track your place in your indidivual bracket, not overall. If it was overall you would be deadlast if you joined the latest bracket compared to the first.

I don't see how that extreme case is relevant. You have no control over who joins so it makes no sense to plan for 1000 X-Men Players joining all at once. You have brackets of 100 competitive players right now aswell. Statistically if you are in 10th and you get 100 more players in your bracket, only 1 guy will overtake you. And that's what will happen 99% of the time.

Since you are worried about the possibility of somebody ragequitting. As it is right now people get put into day old brackets that have people at 30k. Ask me how it feels.
  • Ghast wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    PPPlaya wrote:

This and opening a one hour subs is a joke. I knew I wasn't going to stay in the top 10, since I don't play a ton on weekends, but couldn't figure out until now how I went to bed Friday night in 6th and woke up in 38th, 10,000 points behind. Missing a four one hour subs will do that.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ppplaya, I joined maybe 8 or 10 hours before you so I saw leaders at like 22k or so. I was maybe #545 and our bracket was filling glacially slowly. Needless to say it's frustrating to join and immediately know you can't place at the top, but I've managed to climb up to ~25th so I could potentially finish decently well.
  • It is weird. I did manage to climb to 50th but I also know that I can never catch up to the people in front. So if I snag Top25 I am a happy cookie. Especially since I gave up on so many event tokens and the Spidey Cover.

I wonder what was up with the 80 point main nodes. Why even put up a 80 point node if you put a 35000 progression reward. The TaT main felt a lot better with its 15k points.
  • Raezen
    Raezen Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Options
    While I appreciate the chance to win a Fury cover in a PvE event, this Hulk story event has been horrible. The amount of sub events, the short length of some of them, some god awful start and stop times, and missing a refresh here and there can spell your doom in terms of getting a Fury cover. Too far behind the Top 2, but still hopefully able to get one of the Top 10 covers. This event has felt more like a job than anything else.
  • Unknown
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I've borderline abandoned this thing. I didn't play at all between last night and about an hour ago, except for the main map missions, and dropped maybe 20 places. I did the easy sub one of each (one twice, since you needed to to do the last one), and a few of the hard missions, and figure I'll do a handful before bed if I feel like it, but I'm probably getting top 100 regardless of what I do, probably including nothing, and I'm tired of fighting goon-feeding nodes.

This was just a terrible event all around. Subs really need to be a minimum of 24 hours, so that everyone gets a chance to play them. When they're an hour long in the middle of the night, they're just going to get people to lose interest.
  • djsquillz wrote:
    Sumilea wrote:
    So its make my mind up time. Obviously this event is top 10 or nothing. But the number of subs this event has is just painful is it really worth the effort.

This...i might just pay the 2500 hp for a Fury cover and kick myself in the groin....it will be less painfull than what will most likely be required to snag a fury cover.

marc

Just following up on my quote from a few days ago. I ignored this PVE after the 1st day and i don't regret it one bit. I'm finishing S4 on a high note and I'll be fresh and rearing to go when S5 starts.

Super Props to everyone who sacrificed Life, Limb, Sleep, sleep and possibly sanity to keep up with this one. You truly deserve those Fury covers.

marc
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    I've borderline abandoned this thing. I didn't play at all between last night and about an our ago, except for the min map missions, and dropped maybe 20 places. I did the easy sub one of each (one twice, since you needed to to do the last one), and a few of the hard missions, and figure I'll do a handful before bed if I feel like it, but I'm probably getting top 100 regardless of what I do, probably including nothing, and I'm tired of fighting goon-feeding nodes.

This was just a terrible event all around. Subs really need to be a minimum of 24 hours, so that everyone gets a chance to play them. When they're an hour long in the middle of the night, they're just going to get people to lose interest.
    I've left it alone too - did the easier of the two subs yesterday to get my blue Spidey cover and walked away. One run through the harder sub (and that can go to hell!) this morning popped me back into the top 50 in my main so I'm happy. I'm only after the black Psyduck so anything more is a bonus.
  • I'll put it into perspective. Server crashes are bad, but are understandable to a degree. I would categorize it as accidental or unplanned.

Having a pve with this structure--sub lengths and no fury alliance reward--is inexcusable. The reason is that this was totally on their control and was done with purpose. To do so on the last pve of the season and with fury rewards just makes the failure in judgment stand out that much more.

There is no, none, nada, nil, zero justification to run this pve in this format.

I understand these are strong(ish) words. But, I have nothing positive to say of this incarnation of this pve. They even managed to mess up the free hulk node. Last run, it was 50% green, 25% red, and 25% black. This run, 100% green.
  • Looking at the top 10 scores I'm pretty sure I could've gotten top 10 without having to restructure my life schedule around it. They probably could've dial back the hardcore meter on this event some though, but as long as Magneto is around for PvE it'd be pretty hard to not have every event with a weak rubberband turn into some kind of insane grindfest.