Options

Comments

• Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Here's a preview of the updated text for Beast

old

Mutagenic Breakthrough - 8 Blue
    Hank has big plans for a genetic experiment that might lead to unpredictable results. Creates a 3 turn Blue Countdown tile that, when activated, converts 4 surrounding basic tiles into random special tiles with strength 22.
    Level 2: Creates special tiles of strength 28
    Level 3: Reduces to 2 turn countdown
    Level 4: Creates special tiles of strength 33
    Level 5: Reduces to 1 turn countdown
    Max Level: 4 strength 105 special tiles

new

Hank apologizes for wasting your AP. He still will create a 3 turn Blue Countdown tile if you choose to fund his experiment, that when activated, will almost never convert 4 surrounding basic tiles into random special tiles with strength 22 because they will all self match or be on the side of the board, thus the experiment fails and it really wasn't the breakthrough he thought and he goes to sit in your unused character area.
    Level 2: Almost will never create special tiles of strength 28
    Level 4: Almost will never create special tiles of strength 33
    Max Level: 4 strength 105 special tiles (extremely unlikely)
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, D3 has some splainin' to do. Beast would actually be pretty okay if his blue actually did something useful.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I love (by which I mean hate) that Mutagenic Breakthrough, which is obviously meant at least in part to enable his other abilities by placing blue special tiles, is more helpful in that role while the countdown is just sitting there inert than after the four attack/strike/protect tiles have been placed, because that's how quickly they're going to disappear.
  • Nellyson
    Nellyson Posts: 354 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    EXACTLY!!! Man, he is the worst character in a long time. Literally just wasted skills. Oh hey icon_beast.png, cool countdown tile you got there. What's it do?? Oh it changes tiles to blue so that they match immediately and do nothing to help me whatsoever. It's pretty cool.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Here's a preview of the updated text for Beast

old

Hank has big plans for a genetic experiment that might lead to unpredictable results. Creates a 3 turn Blue Countdown tile that, when activated, converts 4 surrounding basic tiles into random special tiles with strength 22.
    Level 2: Creates special tiles of strength 28
    Level 4: Creates special tiles of strength 33
    Max Level: 4 strength 105 special tiles

new

Hank apologizes for wasting your AP. He still will create a 3 turn Blue Countdown tile if you choose to fund his experiment, that when activated, will almost never convert 4 surrounding basic tiles into random special tiles with strength 22 because they will all self match or be on the side of the board, thus the experiment fails and it really wasn't the breakthrough he thought and he goes to sit in your unused character area.
    Level 2: Almost will never create special tiles of strength 28
    Level 4: Almost will never create special tiles of strength 33
    Max Level: 4 strength 105 special tiles (extremely unlikely)

I have nothing to contribute to this, other than I literally laughed out loud while reading the clarified description LOLOLOL
  • SunCrusher
    SunCrusher Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Doesn't Marvel Now Magneto have the same problem with blue and red CD tiles dropping unreliably and unpredictably?
  • mnMags now gets reduced effectiveness if positioned poorly. Beast often gets zero effectiveness if positioned well.
  • CrookedKnight
    Options
    Nah. Magneto converts a red/blue tile (depending on the power) to a countdown, so you have to be careful about clearing out all the easy matches of that color before you cast the power. (And when there's no single tile sitting in a corner)

Meanwhile, Beast turns a random tile of any color into a blue countdown, and then when the countdown goes off it turns the tiles diagonal from it into blue specials, again regardless of their original color. Let's think about all the ways this is bad.

1) You can't clear the way for it by getting rid of easy blue matches because it can show up literally anywhere and turn two isolated blue tiles into a match-three waiting to happen.

2) Because it can drop literally anywhere, there's no way to stop it from appearing on an edge, where it will produce just two tiles, or a corner, where it will produce just one.

3) If the tile it picks has blue tiles nearby, then when the corner tiles turn blue, they become an obvious match - very likely a match-4 or match-5 setup that the AI will eliminate immediately.

4) If there is a blue tile directly above, below or to the left or right of the countdown, then the special tiles on that side will match instantly when they're created. So helpful!
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    I"m just hoping that the fact they are even addressing it means they are planning on fixing it. It is as simple as after the CD tile goes off to changing 4 random blue tiles on the board to special tiles instead of surrounding tiles being overwritten to blue. If they did this, he goes from unplayable to decent overnight. As someone said, as is he's actually better at 3/5/5 since you get a better chance at utilizing his other two skills fully, or just run him with BP, which again 3/5/5 is the better build and we all know he was not designed for that.
  • SunCrusher
    SunCrusher Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Nah. Magneto converts a red/blue tile (depending on the power) to a countdown, so you have to be careful about clearing out all the easy matches of that color before you cast the power. (And when there's no single tile sitting in a corner)...

True enough!

Does this same method work for Modern Hawkeye's Speed Shot? If your Purples aren't all clustered, you have a better chance of them being selected to be SS tiles and not immediately matched away/critical tiled away?
  • CrookedKnight
    Options
    It does, but because Speed Shot involves a match-five there's very likely going to be cascading and board shake happening that wrecks your setup before the end of that move, much less two turns later when Speed Shot resolves. Best to just take your opportunities as you find them and hope really hard.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    An easy fix for all of the "places a tile" problem would be let the player chose where it's placed
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Here's a possible fix.
      Mutagenic Breakthrough - 8 Blue bluetile.png
      Hank has big plans for a genetic experiment that might lead to unpredictable results. Creates a 3 turn Blue Countdown in one of the 12 corner tiles that, when activated, converts 2-3 tiles a knight's move away into random special tiles with strength 22.
        Level 2: Creates special tiles of strength 28 Level 3: Reduces to 2 turn countdown. Tile appears on central edge, converting 4 tiles a knight's move away. Level 4: Creates special tiles of strength 33 Level 5: Reduces to 1 turn countdown. Tile appears off the edge, converting 4-8 tiles a knight's move away.
      Max Level: 8 strength 105 special tiles
    • babinro
      babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
      Options
      I leveled beast up to 120 today and it's embarrassing to say that Cstorm completely outclasses him at this stage.
      Her 11 blue does more damage and has a more useful kicker than level 120 Beasts 8 blue+ 9 green combined.

Beast is a complete joke of a character and that's really sad.
      I really like the synergy built into his abilities but the numbers are WAY off.

If you're going to keep Beast as is then at least give him 20,000 hp so the players know he's supposed to be a gag character like Devil Dino.
    • Lystrata
      Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
      Options
      babinro wrote:
      I leveled beast up to 120 today ...

You... why?

Not trying to be dismissive. Am seriously interested. Are all your other chars fully levelled/as far as they can go with current covers? I honestly cannot see any other reason to put iso into Beast. icon_eek.gif
    • ballingbees
      ballingbees Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
      edited November 2014
      Options
      maybe with the introduction of charged tiles it could be more useful.

Blue countdown tile converts surrounding 4 tiles into blue charged tiles that match themselves and generate more blue to.. fund another mutagenic breakthrough.
      mm, nevermind.

Hank is quite underated. I've sent him on my DP point farming squad in prologue ep1 and he's never let me down.

Edit: I take back any praise I had for Hank. Used Mutagenic breakthrough, generated enough blue for AI to miracle cascade me to death. And out of T100. Thanks Hank.
    • Pylgrim
      Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
      Options
      My fix:

Mutagenic Breakthrough 9 blueflag.png
      Hank has big plans for a genetic experiment that might lead to unpredictable results. Converts a chosen tile into a blue countdown tile that activates every 2 turns transforming a random blue basic tile into a strength 25 Attack, Strike or Protect tile. If the countdown tile is matched by an enemy, an enraged Beast lashes back, dealing 140 damage.
      Level 2: Creates special tiles of strength 33
      Level 3: Damage if the countdown is matched increased to 250 (Max 1200)
      Level 4: Creates special tiles of strength 40 (Max 120)
      Level 5: Countdown activates each turn.
    • Phaserhawk
      Options
      babinro wrote:
      I leveled beast up to 120 today and it's embarrassing to say that Cstorm completely outclasses him at this stage.
      Her 11 blue does more damage and has a more useful kicker than level 120 Beasts 8 blue+ 9 green combined.

If you're going to keep Beast as is then at least give him 20,000 hp so the players know he's supposed to be a gag character like Devil Dino.

Spot on, if they fixed his blue so the tiles actually got out and stayed out, he would be semi-problamatic to deal with. Putting 400+ worth of damage or protection or combo of the two out on the board would alter the game, right now, well, we all know.
    • Phaserhawk wrote:
      babinro wrote:

Spot on, if they fixed his blue so the tiles actually got out and stayed out, he would be semi-problamatic to deal with. Putting 400+ worth of damage or protection or combo of the two out on the board would alter the game, right now, well, we all know.

And in a perfect world he has that coveted attack tile + strike tile combo in one move, on paper it looks quite fun and good, reality makes it awful.
    • So this was great. AI's Mutagenic Breakthrough went off. Midscreen. Two corner tiles were covered by my strike tiles, and were ignored. I'd like to stop for a moment to point out: why the hell is this a thing? Overwrite 'em! The skill sure is weak enough for that! The other two had a blue between them and matched immediately.

Beast is so ****...