*** Captain Marvel (Modern) ***

1457910

Comments

  • X-man2000X-man2000 Posts: 49
    What about this team combo for her..

    166 cap / 140 lazy cap / lvl 125 im40 (built 5/5/1)

    Captain marvel tanks 5 colours, feeds red and black. 2 yellow matches feeds im40's recharge for even more red. It's a quirky one dimensional team but I love the idea. Even if lcap is maxed I think she still will tank for 4 colours. That's a lot of shield throwing

    Pretty average defensively, obviously
  • dr tinykittylovedr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm finding that even boosted to high holy tinykitty in Oscorp and now FightFlyWhat, Cap Marvel has been rather underwhelming in practice. Her damage is frankly feeble. I took her against seed teams with my low-level Human Torch and Spidey to see if she can carry her own weight.

    Boosted to 83 for her PVP, her red barely does more damage than my Human Torch at level 45, provided he doesn't touch off a cascade, and they're both at 2 covers on red. The less said of her black the better. I don't even bother using it except as a finishing move, with whatever black I happen to collect along the way.

    It's even more jarring when BP's PVP was just a couple days ago. During Predator and Prey Rage did good AOE damage and could be timed to give ap to a useless ability or a character I could kill right away. CapM just gives little brass knuckles to the enemy to help them use me as a punching bag. High health isn't much use without at least one ok ability to balance it out like Hulk and She-Hulk. Her current purpose in PVE is to tank for everyone else with stronger attacks, including my level 90 IM35. That's really kind of a bummer.
  • scthottie2 wrote:
    So, has it been decided who runs with Cap?
    Patch/Falcon?
    LThor/Fury?
    Daken/anyone?
    I'm imagining HT and Daken. With those two, torch doesn't tank any colors and gets green and red from daken and marvel to fuel his abilities.

    Not having a tough enough HT/Daken, I go with Punisher/Falcon -- rainbow team, all three types of tiles for Falcon's yellow to enhance.
  • I'm finding that even boosted to high holy tinykitty in Oscorp and now FightFlyWhat, Cap Marvel has been rather underwhelming in practice. Her damage is frankly feeble. I took her against seed teams with my low-level Human Torch and Spidey to see if she can carry her own weight.

    Boosted to 83 for her PVP, her red barely does more damage than my Human Torch at level 45, provided he doesn't touch off a cascade, and they're both at 2 covers on red. The less said of her black the better. I don't even bother using it except as a finishing move, with whatever black I happen to collect along the way.

    It's even more jarring when BP's PVP was just a couple days ago. During Predator and Prey Rage did good AOE damage and could be timed to give ap to a useless ability or a character I could kill right away. CapM just gives little brass knuckles to the enemy to help them use me as a punching bag. High health isn't much use without at least one ok ability to balance it out like Hulk and She-Hulk. Her current purpose in PVE is to tank for everyone else with stronger attacks, including my level 90 IM35. That's really kind of a bummer.

    Marvel, in your situation, is not weak by your build, but rather a lack of available covers to create a remotely passable build.

    This brings up a potentially alarming precedent that bears further observation...

    -- In the past, I've brought up a compelling case that 3*** characters require a minimum of 3/3/3, or 9 covers to be functional by intentional design. Below 3 covers in a color inflicts significant penalties that hamper a character's powers in various ways. Alternatively, this framework enabled covers 4 and 5 to grant bonus abilities/damage above a character's baseline powers (which usually leads to a 5/5/3 build to maximize those bonuses).

    -- However, Marvel is different. She is the first character to be released that requires 4 covers in a color (for red/black) to remove all of the baseline penalties for these skills. [Yellow still falls on the old system of 3 covers reaching baseline potential] Increasing Red from 3 --> 4 increases damage output by 40% and for Black 3 --> 4 by 35%.

    -- Thus, Marvel needs a minimum of 4/4/3, or 11 covers to remove all of the penalties to her skills and reach her baseline power level.

    -- Given the new character release schedule of 4 covers per opening PvE, + 4 in opening PvP + 1 cover via 1100 in featured PvP+ 1 cover via max progression reward on subsequent PvE = 10 covers, building a baseline Marvel, without penalties to any of her skills, without sinking cash into her is currently not possible.

    I'm banking that this is intentional by design, and am expecting Deadpool's release later this week to follow a similar build (I would love to be wrong on this one).
  • wymtimewymtime Posts: 3,095 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm finding that even boosted to high holy tinykitty in Oscorp and now FightFlyWhat, Cap Marvel has been rather underwhelming in practice. Her damage is frankly feeble. I took her against seed teams with my low-level Human Torch and Spidey to see if she can carry her own weight.

    Boosted to 83 for her PVP, her red barely does more damage than my Human Torch at level 45, provided he doesn't touch off a cascade, and they're both at 2 covers on red. The less said of her black the better. I don't even bother using it except as a finishing move, with whatever black I happen to collect along the way.

    It's even more jarring when BP's PVP was just a couple days ago. During Predator and Prey Rage did good AOE damage and could be timed to give ap to a useless ability or a character I could kill right away. CapM just gives little brass knuckles to the enemy to help them use me as a punching bag. High health isn't much use without at least one ok ability to balance it out like Hulk and She-Hulk. Her current purpose in PVE is to tank for everyone else with stronger attacks, including my level 90 IM35. That's really kind of a bummer.

    In the event she is feeling like an Anti Bullseye. Her red does not do enough damage and only removes defensive tiles. Her black and yellow are her best colors. If red would just remove random enemy tiles it would be much better. As it is 3,5,5 is the only worth while build for her. I will only use her in PVE as a red battery or an anti Bullseye. At level 5 her black is a solid damage in PVE and when I can stun Daken right before I make a green match for Patch it is not that bad. I am keeping her under leveled in the PVE becuase if I don't she tanks for my Patch and I don't get the full effect of TBTI who I think she is a really pairing with.
  • dr tinykittylovedr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime wrote:
    In the event she is feeling like an Anti Bullseye. Her red does not do enough damage and only removes defensive tiles. Her black and yellow are her best colors. If red would just remove random enemy tiles it would be much better. As it is 3,5,5 is the only worth while build for her. I will only use her in PVE as a red battery or an anti Bullseye. At level 5 her black is a solid damage in PVE and when I can stun Daken right before I make a green match for Patch it is not that bad. I am keeping her under leveled in the PVE becuase if I don't she tanks for my Patch and I don't get the full effect of TBTI who I think she is a really pairing with.

    Even looking at the maxed stats on the first page looks meh. She's an anti-protect tile specialist, primarily, not all-purpose utility like say Punisher.

    For battery purposes, she might not be useful with Patch. Either she tanks some colours and produces red but weakens TBTI, or Patch tanks and she doesn't produce much red. Plus normal matches will not trigger her, and attacks that do will kill her quickly.

    She can spam powers faster than IM40, but I'd use him as a battery over her because if tinykitty happens and the heavy hitter being powered bites the dust, he can still do some serious damage on his own...

    ( for purposes of pvp I'm rotating patch/IM35/cStorm, and perversely firing off their blues much more reliably than black, which may make me biased. Buffed 1* and unbroken 2* are ridiculous.)
  • She is somewhat of a Sentry counter. Each countdown of World Rupture can trigger her yellow passive, so if (big if) someone is still alive after a world rupture, you're looking at 30 red and (probably not quite) 30 black AP.
  • mischiefmakermischiefmaker Age Unconfirmed Posts: 932
    edited July 2014
    Discovered today that she procs Energy Absorption after you've finished cascading -- so if you kill her with your cascade, she doesn't get any AP. I believe Tempest triggers the same way; if that's true then EA will trigger on each countdown tile of world rupture.

    Edit: just tested, World Rupture triggers EA on each tile. Good gravy, that animation on every tile slows down World Rupture a LOT.
  • over_clockedover_clocked Posts: 3,961
    I find it annoying that enemy AP levels do not update when you smack Cpt Marvel with abilities or cascades (without ending your turn). I am finishing games without ever learning how much red (sometimes black) enemy Marvel was able to generate.
  • I was playing against an enemy Ms Marvel in PvP. My team consisted of oBW, Thor and Ms Marvel.

    I was in need of some Red AP and had plenty of Purple/Pink to steal what i needed.

    One problem, the enemy Ms Marvel had Zero Red and nothing on the board. So i hit with an ability to activate her
    Yellow and force her to get three Red. Her ability activated, but she gained no Red. Hit her with another power
    activating her Yellow, but she still gained no Red.

    At the end of my turn, she gained the Red all at once.

    If the player is attacked we gain the Red and/or Black just after the power happens, not at the end of the turn.
    This could lead to say the enemy using a power activating Ms Marvel's Yellow and the enemy oBW using her
    Purple/Pink to steal said gain. If it works for them it should work for us.!

    Thank you! Come again!
  • DayvDayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:
    An added bonus to her destruction of protect tiles with red: cascade possibility.

    Also, do the destroyed tiles do damage? It says they don't generate AP....
    Also, what happens first, damage or protect destruction? If damage happens first, it will be disappointing to sometimes cast it as a 1-damage shield destroyer.
    I've verified the following:

    Destroyed protect tiles do not increase damage. Small disappointment.

    Damage from the skill is applied *after* removing protect tiles. Pleasant surprise.
  • KelbrisKelbris Posts: 1,051
    The enemy AP total doesn't update until after your turn, I can confirm this
  • Marty17Marty17 Age Unconfirmed Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    Noticed after the update that her Hypersonic Punch + Photonic Blast sound effect had changed...
  • PhaserhawkPhaserhawk Age Unconfirmed Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    So playing with Captain Marvel I have found her interesting to say the least. Like Hulk you generally want to save her for last. On offense you more than likely want her 3/5/5 however that is probably the worst defensive build. The best defensive build on her is probably 4/4/5. You gain an extra 601 dmg on her red while only losing 336 dmg on black, but...you lose that extra stun turn. That makes the only other defensive build 4/5/4 you still can spam red but you won't be casting black as much. Anyone else find Energy Absorption not super effective? It's nice but not amazing. I don't know. I'm really torn between a 3/5/5, 4/5/4 and 4/4/5 build. As I don't find 3/5/5 as great as I previously thought but not sure the other builds will be any better. To me she is basically a use when buffed character and if that's the case then it probably doesn't matter how you build her. But in order to make her most useful you'll probably want black at max just for the extra turn stun. However, much like Patche's red, in order to make her yellow the most effective you'll need to be tanking 3 colors, and that's going to be super hard in PvP since BP, Widow, Cap, Daken, Torch, IM40, Mags, Psylocke, Sentry, Thor, Patch and some I missed are all going to steal at least 1 color from her meaning Energy Absorption loses it's effectiveness. So if you aren't going to be trigging Energy Absorption very much than I think a 4/5/4 build is the best way to go, it gives you the most effective red with max dmg, black is still lethal and yellow still generates you a ton of red when it goes off, it just doesn't snag you that black
  • And here I am just gonna complain about her art again.. Just skimming through her comics I can find hundreds other better looking cover for inspiration, not to mention some of her look in the comic is just gorgeous, unlike these in game art, especially that standing in front pose, and her art in the token reclaim screen for both oscorp heroic and her PVP is also ridiculous.. Her expression is more akin of a green goblin than a Carol Danvers icon_e_sad.gif what a shame..

    And that her skills suck most time are even worse.. Red is weak, blac is also relatively weak and does not justify giving the enemy a strike tile.. Yellow seems to need too much damage.. The threshold should be (a match 3 damage of her level) + damage of strike tile from her black, so normal match3 shouldn't proc her yellow, but once she use that black she gains an advantage..
  • NellysonNellyson Posts: 354 Mover and Shaker
    Kcwei83 wrote:
    HailMary wrote:
    I really hope they'd focus-test their art more. Never mind her "everything is zappity-sparkling" ability animations. That's relatively great. But, Marv's static in-fight pose looks like she's simultaneously constipated and confused, as if she'd just personally discovered constipation: "Can't s---. WHAT THE S---?!"

    Totally agree with you...


    Hahahaha...I was just thinking that!! She looks so constipatedly confused about what's going on! Other than that, the animations are great. The other dumb looking character in static mode, Johnny Storm....look at him. Looks slightly like he might have a mental problem.
  • PhaserhawkPhaserhawk Age Unconfirmed Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    iPulzzz wrote:
    And here I am just gonna complain about her art again.. Just skimming through her comics I can find hundreds other better looking cover for inspiration, not to mention some of her look in the comic is just gorgeous, unlike these in game art, especially that standing in front pose, and her art in the token reclaim screen for both oscorp heroic and her PVP is also ridiculous.. Her expression is more akin of a green goblin than a Carol Danvers icon_e_sad.gif what a shame..

    And that her skills suck most time are even worse.. Red is weak, blac is also relatively weak and does not justify giving the enemy a strike tile.. Yellow seems to need too much damage.. The threshold should be (a match 3 damage of her level) + damage of strike tile from her black, so normal match3 shouldn't proc her yellow, but once she use that black she gains an advantage..

    good god if here yellow proc'd on a normal match 3 she would be so broken even pre-nerf Rags would be gasping. I agree though the yellow doesn't trigger as much as I would want which is why I'm kinda leaning towards 4/5/4
  • jojeda654jojeda654 Posts: 1,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    good god if here yellow proc'd on a normal match 3 she would be so broken even pre-nerf Rags would be gasping. I agree though the yellow doesn't trigger as much as I would want which is why I'm kinda leaning towards 4/5/4

    C.Storm would be so jelly. icon_lol.gif
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    iPulzzz wrote:
    And here I am just gonna complain about her art again.. Just skimming through her comics I can find hundreds other better looking cover for inspiration, not to mention some of her look in the comic is just gorgeous, unlike these in game art, especially that standing in front pose, and her art in the token reclaim screen for both oscorp heroic and her PVP is also ridiculous.. Her expression is more akin of a green goblin than a Carol Danvers icon_e_sad.gif what a shame..

    And that her skills suck most time are even worse.. Red is weak, blac is also relatively weak and does not justify giving the enemy a strike tile.. Yellow seems to need too much damage.. The threshold should be (a match 3 damage of her level) + damage of strike tile from her black, so normal match3 shouldn't proc her yellow, but once she use that black she gains an advantage..

    good god if here yellow proc'd on a normal match 3 she would be so broken even pre-nerf Rags would be gasping. I agree though the yellow doesn't trigger as much as I would want which is why I'm kinda leaning towards 4/5/4

    It would if the opponents were high enough level or maybe had a little bit of help from some Hypersonic Punch strike tiles in reaching that damage threshold...

    5 Black Hulk places 5 Green randomly on the board for 5% of his max health. 5 Yellow Marvel places 5 Red and 3 Black immediately into that team's AP pool for 8% of max health. For that 3% additional health loss, that is quite a significant benefit in terms of AP gain (the 5 Green tiles from Hulk carries risk that some of these tiles may benefit the opposing team instead of yours; direct deposit via Marvel into a player's AP pool removes that risk completely). At a theoretical 12 Energy Absorptions per full health bar (in a perfect world), I wouldn't expect the other side to survive the resulting onslaught from 60 Red and 36 Black fueling attack abilities. Then again, I'm pretty sure that even at 50% efficiency (30 Red + 18 Black), the battlefield would be still nothing left but a smoking crater. In most situations, 25% efficiency (15 Red + 9 Black) should be sufficient to defeat the other team, should the player's team be built to take advantage of Energy Absorption.
  • SpoitSpoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    jojeda654 wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    good god if here yellow proc'd on a normal match 3 she would be so broken even pre-nerf Rags would be gasping. I agree though the yellow doesn't trigger as much as I would want which is why I'm kinda leaning towards 4/5/4

    C.Storm would be so jelly. icon_lol.gif
    Nah, there's no pre-nerf thor or rags to feed it into anymore, so it wouldn't get THAT bad

    Question: does she also have the faster heal times like hulk/wolvie/daken?
Sign In or Register to comment.