*** Captain Marvel (Modern) ***

14567810»

Comments

• yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just been reading over the last few posts here and I think there have been a couple of others elsewhere about her being boosted.

I am currently on 4-4-5 and DDQ is coming up for the 5th Black and while I always thought I would go with 3-5-5, I'm now giving it second thoughts.

As stated a bit earlier, moving to 5th black gives you a little more damage and 1 more turn of stun (which is nice, but may or may not affect the game outcome) while moving to 3 red seems to take it from an average power which is useful sometimes to less than that.
  • lymang
    lymang Posts: 97 Match Maker
    yogi_ wrote:
    Just been reading over the last few posts here and I think there have been a couple of others elsewhere about her being boosted.

I am currently on 4-4-5 and DDQ is coming up for the 5th Black and while I always thought I would go with 3-5-5, I'm now giving it second thoughts.

As stated a bit earlier, moving to 5th black gives you a little more damage and 1 more turn of stun (which is nice, but may or may not affect the game outcome) while moving to 3 red seems to take it from an average power which is useful sometimes to less than that.
    I just completed today's DDQ and got that 5th black cover, and am having this EXACT argument in my head. I, on the other hand was thinking maybe going 4 5 4, and dropping a point out of yellow instead? Is that insane?
  • thanos8587
    thanos8587 Posts: 653
    lymang wrote:
    yogi_ wrote:

I just completed today's DDQ and got that 5th black cover, and am having this EXACT argument in my head. I, on the other hand was thinking maybe going 4 5 4, and dropping a point out of yellow instead? Is that insane?

i wouldnt say insane but 5 yellow makes her really solid on the attack when you can manage her taking hits and generating a load of mana. on defense, she is worked around like hulk.

mine is 4/4/5 and i wont change, though i can understand 3/5/5. i like the extra spammable red damage even though its not the best.
  • lymang
    lymang Posts: 97 Match Maker
    thanos8587 wrote:
    lymang wrote:
    yogi_ wrote:

i wouldnt say insane but 5 yellow makes her really solid on the attack when you can manage her taking hits and generating a load of mana. on defense, she is worked around like hulk.

mine is 4/4/5 and i wont change, though i can understand 3/5/5. i like the extra spammable red damage even though its not the best.

I decided to stick with 4/4/5, it has been working for me. and the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" probably applies.
  • I'm just curious, does anyone else plan on speculation speccing her to 5/3/5 to deal with CaptainFalcon? Would seem to be an easy and cheap way of dealing with his tiles and then preventing red by matching it yourself or though passive generation. Just my thought.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    kentendo64 wrote:
    I'm just curious, does anyone else plan on speculation speccing her to 5/3/5 to deal with CaptainFalcon? Would seem to be an easy and cheap way of dealing with his tiles and then preventing red by matching it yourself or though passive generation. Just my thought.
    I specced her at 5/3/5 from the start, because I have other better black skills in the mix even with hers at five covers. Destruction of all protect tiles for just seven AP along with the ability to generate that color of AP is a niche ability, but a surprisingly good one at the right time. The introduction of 4* Sam Wilson only reinforces that decision for me.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    I maxed her out as my second fully covered 3* at 5/5/3 and I think she's perfect at that. I have never looked back or considered a change. That second turn worth of stun has saved my **** countless times and her red at five is absolutely perfect. There is no overstating the value of being able to destroy every single protect tile. It's even more crucial now with the coming of Falcon America. Ap generation is nice but she has to take a heck of a shot and survive it to generate.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    snlf25 wrote:
    I maxed her out as my second fully covered 3* at 5/5/3 and I think she's perfect at that. I have never looked back or considered a change. That second turn worth of stun has saved my **** countless times and her red at five is absolutely perfect. There is no overstating the value of being able to destroy every single protect tile. It's even more crucial now with the coming of Falcon America. Ap generation is nice but she has to take a heck of a shot and survive it to generate.

I think the game is shifting to the point where this may actually become the more useful optimal CM build and she will she a lot more use. it gives her the full utility of the FU protect tile blow up which is starting to become more prevalent and annoying since protect tiles while you're on the offensive can really bog you down in speed and being fast is so important later on, and keeping the 2 turn stun which can as stated above really save the day vs a target.

the black is cheap enough to where I wouldn't be dying to get the AP for it from the rank 5 passive since 9 cost is very doable and rank 3 is enough to just need one red match to have red up after a proc of it.
  • snlf25
    Virtually every pvp top 100 placement I had up to last seaon was on the backs of Carol and Steve. I'd use the featured and my Captain duo. Two tanks with stun, powerful protect tiles and red shield from Steve. I was able to beat any three star team I faced even if it was a **** team on defence. I even started going after XForce and Lady Thor post nerf. I can't say enough about the 5/5/3 Carol. All those ungodly Heroic **** battles with Bullseye were a piece of cake and super easy wins over Falcon and Magneto nodes in the Gauntlet that everybody always whined about too. She is the perfect foil for sheid tile generators. Great against the Kishu and their smoke bombs too.
  • Minox
    Minox Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    I am currently transitioning to 3* land and I have a tough time knowing when to slot her in (I tend to favor Cyclops in these colors).
    The times I can see using her are:
    - Against a protect tile generator (depending on the case, 5 red could be great)
    - Needing a stun in her color combos to deal with Hulks and other Captain Marvels

If those are going to be her uses, then 5/5/3 makes the most sense in my mind. What am I missing?
  • snlf25
    Minox wrote:
    I am currently transitioning to 3* land and I have a tough time knowing when to slot her in (I tend to favor Cyclops in these colors).
    The times I can see using her are:
    - Against a protect tile generator (depending on the case, 5 red could be great)
    - Needing a stun in her color combos to deal with Hulks and other Captain Marvels

If those are going to be her uses, then 5/5/3 makes the most sense in my mind. What am I missing?

You nailed it. She is great against protect tile generators and the Hulk especially with her two turn stun.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Are people still advocating 5/5/3 over 3/5/5 after she proved to be one of the MVPs for Galactus Rd 1. I could actually see 4/4/5 or 5/3/5 being better as the preferred build over 5/5/3 since there are many other better black abilities in 3* and above.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Are people still advocating 5/5/3 over 3/5/5
    Seems like a silly argument. There are much better ways of getting rid of protect tiles... eg Loki, JG, Antman... but there aren't too many better ways of generating free AP.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Minox wrote:
    I am currently transitioning to 3* land and I have a tough time knowing when to slot her in (I tend to favor Cyclops in these colors)

A few weeks back when both she and Cyclops were boosted, I was actually running featured/Marvel (3/5/5)/Cyclops (5/3/5) as my PVP team. Marvel would basically tank most everything and generate red/black for Cyclops' death rays. While I'm positive there's many, many better teams out there, it was a pretty fun team to use and it gave me more defensive wins than anything else since character boosting went into effect.
    simonsez wrote:
    Are people still advocating 5/5/3 over 3/5/5
    Seems like a silly argument. There are much better ways of getting rid of protect tiles... eg Loki, JG, Antman... but there aren't too many better ways of generating free AP.

While you're not wrong, CM does eliminate the protect tiles for the cheapest cost among the examples you provided, providing some board shake in the process. 5/5/3 may not be the all-around best build, but it's certainly a defensible niche build.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just got another cm cover from the vault that would let me get a thing red from applying it. I was curious if people think they might change cm rewards to Nova or if I should just go ahead and apply the cover.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    I just got another cm cover from the vault that would let me get a thing red from applying it. I was curious if people think they might change cm rewards to Nova or if I should just go ahead and apply the cover.

We have no way of knowing if they will change rewards in the future. Chances are they won't considering how lazy they are when it comes to fixing things already out. They seem to focus on new new new rather than fixing the current state of affairs.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    notamutant wrote:

We have no way of knowing if they will change rewards in the future. Chances are they won't considering how lazy they are when it comes to fixing things already out. They seem to focus on new new new rather than fixing the current state of affairs.

Yeah I doubt they will EVER change current rewards to new chars (maybe if there is something very obvious like if we got a new 4* BP after Civil War movie,then I guess they would change 3*BPs rewards to the new version, but a part from that...)

But anyway, why should they change Cpt Marvel rewards to Nova? I am no expert in Nova comics, but I doubt they have much in common...
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Polares wrote:
    notamutant wrote:

Yeah I doubt they will EVER change current rewards to new chars (maybe if there is something very obvious like if we got a new 4* BP after Civil War movie,then I guess they would change 3*BPs rewards to the new version, but a part from that...)

But anyway, why should they change Cpt Marvel rewards to Nova? I am no expert in Nova comics, but I doubt they have much in common...

They are both space travelers and were both in the Black Vortex crossover event, along with the Guardians of the Galaxy and X-Men.