2AP abilities should be nerfed

Options
Unknown
edited December 2013 in MPQ General Discussion
First let me qualify by saying I have a lvl113 Ragnarok. So this isn't just a jealous rant.

There a 2 characters with 2AP skills , Spidey and Ragnarok. They are my go to characters and there is totally no skill involved playing them. Get reds and keep pressing thunderclap. When enough enough green use godlike power or another characters ability. If no red, find blue.

Not that I am complaining that its too easy but it makes all other 3/4 star characters suck in comparison due to their high AP requirement.

Take ironman model 40. Unibeam cost 13ap. If you were and opponent, I would have hit you 6 times with thunderclap and god knows how many green abilities before you can say "yo mama". And the new Invisible Woman? 18AP (at lvl5) to make someone invisible? By the time you collected that many yellows, you would have been web bandaged and thunder clapped into oblivion
Take IM40 again for another example. Ballistic salvo takes 20AP. Try using that in the jump jet 3 mission. You would be eaten alive by venom

So my suggestion is either up the AP of Rag n Spidey...even making it 3AP would make a big difference. AND/OR reduce the AP needed by other characters. It has just become ridiculous.

Comments

• Agreed. This.
  • I think Gray Black Widow shows a good compromise. It doesn't take that long to activate her purple, once you do you should be getting around 9-18 greens and activating the sniper rifle, which is way more powerful than Rag's TC. Plus you're getting at least 2 criticals out of that purple too.
  • Or try pairing an ap stealing (widow, hood) or generating (Storm, IM 40) with the higher cost character and a mid/low cost guy. Think outside the spidey/rag box
  • People say that 2AP abilities can't be used by AI properly, but it's still better than 13+ AP abilities. Combine 2 AP + an 8 AP ability, and you effectively have a versatile 10/12 AP ability. For example, Rags+Thor is a great defensive team with both their reds. Or even Rags+Mags, combing both their 2AP abilities for a 4AP combo.
  • I agree with this, and more. Many characters have a reduce cost level advancement, and for some, that's fine. As an example, The Hood's yellow reduces cost, but is still within reason even after all the reduction.

However, characters like Thor, who's ability deals a whopping 1k+ damage (and tile creation) for only 6 red seems a bit off, but his green works out for the better.

I don't mind AP reduced per ability level, but at least make the final reduction within reason/comparable to other characters of the rank.
  • Even changing the cost at rank 5 from 2 to 3 would have a significant impact, without completely nerfing it into oblivion.
  • Couldn't agree more. And I want to have a definitive answer by the very friendly devs. If there won't be changes coming, I will put HP into my Rag as I got both covers of him. Just to even out the playing field.
  • I think Gray Black Widow shows a good compromise. It doesn't take that long to activate her purple, once you do you should be getting around 9-18 greens and activating the sniper rifle, which is way more powerful than Rag's TC. Plus you're getting at least 2 criticals out of that purple too.

I actually pair my Rag with Gray Black Widow. But bringing up Gray Black Widow helps my case. Why does her sniper rifle gets more expensive as the level increases making it harder to activate? At level 5 it takes 19AP! Doesn't matter how powerful it is, point for point, Ragnarok will hit you 9 times with Thunderclaps (+x number of Godlike power) before you can do anything. Or spidey would have stunned you so many times you couldn't even move.

All other 3/4 characters have powerful abilities but the developers make it unnecessarily hard to activate them (e.g. why does IM40 - Red and Blue powers sap AP? or his yellow power stun him for 2 turns?).

Rag/Spidey gets a free pass with their 2 AP abilities.
  • how dare the devs have characters capable of different things
  • If these were characters that were easy to get, I would see the problem with it. But these characters are some of the hardest to get and people have spent dozens (maybe hundreds?) of hours getting them and leveling them up.

I know in the NFL having a bunch of **** teams is considered 'parity', but I don't want MPQ to follow that model.
  • I do agree with your point but I don't wanna see them nerfed...because I invested a lot of $$$ in both of them icon_evil.gif
    but I get the feeling that a nerf for 2 ap cost powers is inevitable....dear god...
  • I don't want to see them nerfed either.
    If anything other characters need more synergies between them.
    I think that would help greatly in seeing diversified teams
  • I feel that the devs know they have to nerf Ragnarok because of how incredibly powerful he is compared to all of the other characters and because of the numerous amounts to people who want him nerfed, but they also don't want to upset the player base that paid real money to get him maxed out. They are in a sticky situation, but a sensible nerf should keep everyone happy, such as making his red power cost 3 AP and only put out 3 green tiles, but I know they probably have other ideas.
  • GT-47LM wrote:
    I feel that the devs know they have to nerf Ragnarok because of how incredibly powerful he is compared to all of the other characters and because of the numerous amounts to people who want him nerfed, but they also don't want to upset the player base that paid real money to get him maxed out. They are in a sticky situation, but a sensible nerf should keep everyone happy, such as making his red power cost 3 AP and only put out 3 green tiles, but I know they probably have other ideas.

lol 3 red AP for 3 green tiles...good thing you're not a dev
  • GT-47LM wrote:
    they also don't want to upset the player base that paid real money to get him maxed out

They also don't want to upset the player base that will continue to pay good money to get him icon_e_wink.gif
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    If these were characters that were easy to get, I would see the problem with it. But these characters are some of the hardest to get and people have spent dozens (maybe hundreds?) of hours getting them and leveling them up.

I know in the NFL having a bunch of tinykitty teams is considered 'parity', but I don't want MPQ to follow that model.

I have an almost maxed our Rag (lvl 113), and I have lost total interest in any other new characters because it takes so damn long to activate their abilities.

Invisible Woman is so darn hard to get as well, but 14AP to create a force bubble, and 12AP to pop them? Ragnarok would thunderclap you 7 times while you chew your gum.

My other suggestion - reduce the AP requirement for other 3/4 star characters by 3AP.
  • morphy wrote:
    Toxicadam wrote:
    If these were characters that were easy to get, I would see the problem with it. But these characters are some of the hardest to get and people have spent dozens (maybe hundreds?) of hours getting them and leveling them up.

I know in the NFL having a bunch of tinykitty teams is considered 'parity', but I don't want MPQ to follow that model.

I have an almost maxed our Rag (lvl 113), and I have lost total interest in any other new characters because it takes so damn long to activate their abilities.

Invisible Woman is so darn hard to get as well, but 14AP to create a force bubble, and 12AP to pop them? Ragnarok would thunderclap you 7 times while you chew your gum.

My other suggestion - reduce the AP requirement for other 3/4 star characters by 3AP.

3 AP for magneto's blue? lmfao
  • I think buffing other characters instead of nerfing rag and spidey is very sensible.
    RIght now, rag and spidey are extremely powerful but not invincible. I still get my **** kicked by a lot of players who don't have them. so buffing other heroes gives poeple even greater chance to beat rag and spidey. It kinda...makes everyone happy...or at least less unhappy.
  • DumDumDugn wrote:
    3 AP for magneto's blue? lmfao

Nah, purple.

Hey that reminds me. Magneto has a 2 AP skill but the OP doesn't even mention it.

Personally, as convenient as it is, I'd like to see characters abilities that don't support their own abilities. Otherwise the stategy is too simplified. With characters whose abilities support other characters' abilities, it encourages creative team building.

For example, if Grey Suit's purple generated blue instead... Then the team building possiblities are huge...and using here is a trade off between supporing other characters (i.e. going for purple), and focusing on her own (i.e. going for green).

Misguided wrote:
    Hey that reminds me. Magneto has a 2 AP skill but the OP doesn't even mention it.

That's because his red sucks, except to (mildly) shake up a stagnant board. If it generaged some other color tile like Rags, it'd be a whole nother story... And for that matter, if kept at low 2AP, Rags' thunderclap could simply not generate green...