Dark Avengers Heroic: June 27 - July 3

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    locked wrote:
    I'm glad there was no rubberbanding on the final leg and no one's hard work for 3 subs was invalidated
    I don't get why people are saying this, because I totally feel like my hard work for the 3 subs was invalidated. I grinded the **** out of them, and had a 3.5k cushion on top 10. Trust me, with rb'ing, it's not trivial to build up that much cushion. Then, due to real life, I couldn't hit the main until 3 hours to go, and there weren't even enough points available for me to reach top 10. Working my **** off for 5 1/2 days, only to have it negated because I'm tied up for one 8 hour stretch, should not be the "working as intended" format of any event.

This is a competition. In all forms of competition it cannot be fully balanced when based around time zones and definitive end times. I am sure everyone can agree that massive banding on the main nodes in the last day is stupid other than getting progression awards.

So in a perfect world how would you do it princess?

The only way I can sees it is if there were a set amount of points available each sub max. Extra grinding benefits no one once you hit your cap other than to maybe get missed rewards. Progression awards only. No competition. The devs don't envision that though. They design their game and make choices based on their vision, not what players world want or like. That's the summary.
  • Deathclaw
    Deathclaw Posts: 59
    Options
    Chimaera wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    locked wrote:
    I'm glad there was no rubberbanding on the final leg and no one's hard work for 3 subs was invalidated
    I don't get why people are saying this, because I totally feel like my hard work for the 3 subs was invalidated. I grinded the **** out of them, and had a 3.5k cushion on top 10. Trust me, with rb'ing, it's not trivial to build up that much cushion. Then, due to real life, I couldn't hit the main until 3 hours to go, and there weren't even enough points available for me to reach top 10. Working my **** off for 5 1/2 days, only to have it negated because I'm tied up for one 8 hour stretch, should not be the "working as intended" format of any event.

This is a competition. In all forms of competition it cannot be fully balanced when based around time zones and definitive end times. I am sure everyone can agree that massive banding on the main nodes in the last day is stupid other than getting progression awards.

The only way I can sees it is if there were a set amount of points available each sub max. Extra grinding benefits no one once you hit your cap other than to maybe get missed rewards. Progression awards only. No competition. The devs don't envision that though. They design their game and make choices based on their vision, not what players world want or like. That's the summary.

Whatever they do, they need to announce it so people can adjust. Rubberbanding isn't a great system, but I see why they do it. And when you play an entire event a certain way, people make their gaming plans based on that system. When you change it up at the end, its not competition, its not balanced, its random "who noticeds that theres no RB in these first six hours".

In a perfect world, cupcake, i'd communicate the way an event is going to be scored so people aren't subject to getting screwed by random changes.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Personally, I liked this pve format. For those that were relying on RB to overtake everyone in the last 12 hours, well that was a little wishful. If you kept your position at the end of each sub, you pretty much secured it. Now I may have been lucky bc in my bracket I secured #2 and did not even have to play last 12hrs and still secured it. 6-10 was a closer dogfight. I prefer that 90% of your pve play is not invalidated by the last 12 hours.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Chimaera wrote:
    Any reason why you're being an ****? It's not unreasonable to ask that an entire event be scored consistently. If it all comes down to who can play all 12 of the final hours, then let's just make it a 12 hour event.

Or better yet, if there's going to be no rb'ing in the main, don't have rb'ing in the subs. That way the subs really DO mean something.
  • Deathclaw
    Deathclaw Posts: 59
    Options
    Personally, I liked this pve format. For those that were relying on RB to overtake everyone in the last 12 hours, well that was a little wishful. If you kept your position at the end of each sub, you pretty much secured it. Now I may have been lucky bc in my bracket I secured #2 and did not even have to play last 12hrs and still secured it. 6-10 was a closer dogfight. I prefer that 90% of your pve play is not invalidated by the last 12 hours.

It was wishful to hope the scoring would be consistent throughout the event?

And my annoyance doesn't come from wanting to overtake anyone. I didn't really care about the Sentry covers, and since I had done well in all the subs, I knew that I'd be able to score top 25. But that last progression reward went out of reach for everyone playing the event the same way they had been for the previous 5 and a half days, and that was a kick in the...neck.

We do agree, at least, that its bad when 90% of your pve play is invalidated in the last 12 hours...but in terms of the final progression reward, mine was invalidated by an unannounced mechanics change at the end of the event. Other than that, it would have been a great event. But i'm left wondering what the point of PvE is when you can run 9 laps, pace yourself, plan your finish, and then be told on the 10th lap you can run faster than X, or now there are hurdles.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Because the majority of the posts are people complaining. It really sours things. If they had banding people complain. Moderate banding, complain, no banding ? Complain. Like lay off.

This is all I can tell you and everyone somehow unfamiliar with D3's pve events but still managed to find the forums and know the layout of the land and mechanics. They change the rules constantly, be prepared for that and analyze accordingly. What it really does in a broad stroke is make people play as much as possible because you need to be prepared for anything. That is what D3 wants (constant player engagement) yet they want to limit people from playing with scaling and healing mechanics. They sound confused? Because they are.

They could tell people how each event is going to be run but then people will only play optionally, and the minimum amount. Are they going to do it on the forums? No they don't care about us. It would have to be ingame on the info screen. If it comes down to having to press a button at 5:34 am on a Tuesday, people will do that and only that. They want people to play and succeed / fail, not tell the players how to win.

Sure there are infinite problems with the way things happen now but complaining to us is not doing anything productive. Full out a ticket and send it in, leave feedback.

I have read more positive things about the no banding in the final 12 hours main nodes than I read about most things so this if anything was a good move.
  • Unknown
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    locked wrote:

If rubberbanding was on your finish would have been 50-100 places lower than this way.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    pasa_ wrote:
    If rubberbanding was on your finish would have been 50-100 places lower than this way.
    If you think rubberbanding is disadvantageous to someone who starts playing late, then you don't understand how it works.
  • Unknown
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    pasa_ wrote:
    If you think rubberbanding is disadvantageous to someone who starts playing late, then you don't understand how it works.

Pasa knows what he is talking about.

Banding does not let you magically show up in the last hour of a 12 hour stretch and suddenly be back where you left off. There is a maximum amount of points you can glean from each node before they are expunged. If you didn't play for the previous 11 hours and there was max banding and we're in top 10 before, I doubt you could still make top 50. Cascades / health packs / scaling aside.

Banding in a main bracket condenses the points to the point where 100 points may seperate 15 ranks, and the last person to finish a match wins the 7 day event. Nobody wants that.
  • Unknown
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    pasa_ wrote:

LOL, maybe I do understand how it works alright. The advantage is there for everyone to take not just you.