Dark Avengers Heroic: June 27 - July 3

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    I entered 20m after the last sub closed, was good for 14.5k points and #7 gaining all the covers playing 4x25m and most of the last 1.5h, consider it a really good turnout especially as I was to skip the event entirely.
  • Unknown
    Options
    tbighead21 wrote:
    7500 in the last 12 hours wasn't to difficult.

Yep, if you hit everything once each refresh that would be 6600 over three play through and a little under 7.5 hours. Grind down the top point nodes a couple times afterward and that should do it.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just barely got She-Hulk. Man did I get lucky on points. Could have easily gone the other way.

Ended up in 5th so got all the Sentry covers too. Not a bad PvE.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    99821. Need 10.5k and couldn't start until 7h 30min left.

Tried to time the last grind to get enough from some nodes while letting the others continue to refresh, ended up off by about 5 minutes. Bah.
  • Unknown
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Deathclaw wrote:
    Holy **** did this event screw me.

I've been trying to play as steadily as I could, steady points, getting my refreshes done, needed about 7500 at the end, even a moderate rubber and would get me to 100k...and guess what? Random gameplay change.

So i'm finishing with just over 99k points. No She-Hulk for me.

Don't see the point in playing if the points/rewards are going to arbitrarily change. With no goal, and no way to know how the mechanics work, trying to plan for the long progression rewards is a **** shoot, and I should probably find better things to do with my time than the PvEs.

What change? In the last leg you could make 19k+ points with full play, and 14k reasonably. There wasn't even rubberbanding so it was really easy to calculate.
  • pmorcs
    pmorcs Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Got my SH and two Sentries.. but these scores people are posting.. I had 103.3k in the end and was only #19! Skin of my teeth..

Can I request not to be in Phantron's bracket next time?
  • Deathclaw
    Deathclaw Posts: 59
    Options
    pasa_ wrote:
    Deathclaw wrote:
    Holy **** did this event screw me.

I've been trying to play as steadily as I could, steady points, getting my refreshes done, needed about 7500 at the end, even a moderate rubber and would get me to 100k...and guess what? Random gameplay change.

So i'm finishing with just over 99k points. No She-Hulk for me.

Don't see the point in playing if the points/rewards are going to arbitrarily change. With no goal, and no way to know how the mechanics work, trying to plan for the long progression rewards is a **** shoot, and I should probably find better things to do with my time than the PvEs.

What change? In the last leg you could make 19k+ points with full play, and 15k reasonably. There wasn't even rubberbanding so it was really easy to calculate.

That was the problem. There was no rubber banding. So after the last sub event, when you're thinking at the end of the phase the nodes that are 200 or so will be worth 600, like they are in every freaking event ever, and suddenly everything is capped at 400. Its the sudden "oh, no rubber band here" that did me in.
  • Unknown
    Options
    pmorcs wrote:
    Got my SH and two Sentries.. but these scores people are posting.. I had 103.3k in the end and was only #19! Skin of my teeth..

Yeah he/she is a freaking machine. icon_lol.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    pmorcs wrote:

What? I thought Phantron is in EVERY bracket.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Deathclaw wrote:
    That was the problem. There was no rubber banding. So after the last sub event, when you're thinking at the end of the phase the nodes that are 200 or so will be worth 600, like they are in every freaking event ever, and suddenly everything is capped at 400. Its the sudden "oh, no rubber band here" that did me in.

**** about horrible design (rb in main nodes and mandatory last hour playing) cause you didnt get cover (which you could get if you really want) is hilarious.
  • Deathclaw
    Options
    Malcoran wrote:
    Deathclaw wrote:

**** about horrible design (rb in main nodes and mandatory last hour playing) cause you didnt get cover (which you could get if you really want) is hilarious.

Glad you're amused, but rb the whole event, then changing the mechanics for the last 12 isn't great design either. And mandatory last hour playing is just as bad as mandatory every refresh, isn't it?
    I mean, was there any indication that there wouldn't be rubber banding in the end? Did I miss it? If so, my bad. If not, i'd say I have a reason to be annoyed.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Deathclaw wrote:

I really don't get it. RB is the thing that does people in, invalidating most of the previous work, the lead they made in subs. If there is RB and you stop grinding, you can be overtaken easily unless you are the global leader. Especially the 10-ish positions become shaky and all the interesting one below that.

Without RB everyone makes the very same point for the same play -- you can calculate ahead and either play on or watch others to move.

Also this time half nodes were goon-only and those were really the high value ones too. Playable easily with little risk. You could just skip the two top nodes with bigger DAs and rag if scared -- but with 2.5h gap even if some problem happened you could be in full shape.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Malcoran wrote:
    Deathclaw wrote:

What a nice thing to say.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Well i joined with 3 hours to go, cause pve sucks total balls to me now. I still got my 3 Sentry covers for finishing top 10 so i'm happy. I do feel bad* for those that grinded the whole way through and didn't get them though.

* kinda
  • Unknown
    Options
    Phew. Had some incredibly close finishes in that event. I was leading by two whole points with less than a minute to go and Darkrafe got another game in to take first. Kudos to him/her

Great games, great fun throughout well played everyone. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Deathclaw
    Options
    pasa_ wrote:
    Deathclaw wrote:

I really don't get it. RB is the thing that does people in, invalidating most of the previous work, the lead they made in subs. If there is RB and you stop grinding, you can be overtaken easily unless you are the global leader. Especially the 10-ish positions become shaky and all the interesting one below that.

Without RB everyone makes the very same point for the same play -- you can calculate ahead and either play on or watch others to move.

Also this time half nodes were goon-only and those were really the high value ones too. Playable easily with little risk. You could just skip the two top nodes with bigger DAs and rag if scared -- but with 2.5h gap even if some problem happened you could be in full shape.

I'm not defending rubber banding as mechanic. Its horribly unfair to those that put the work in. But when it is in, people plan around it. I did. I did because it was in every sub-event. I did because rubber-banding in a sub is bad for the people who put the work in, but it was there. And I planned around it. Then the last 12 hours had no rubber-banding. Yes, the points were achievable had I grinded it out. I don't know if I would have had the time, but I could have tried, and if not, I wouldn't be on here if I had known. But to sit down at the last, and see only a few nodes capped at 400, realizing only then there is no rubber banding, screwed me. Because they randomly decided that, different from the whole event, this last part wouldn't have rubber bands. So its frustrating, and in my opinion it was a bad choice to finish what was otherwise a good event.
  • pmorcs
    Options
    joined with 3 hours to go .. still got my 3 Sentry covers for finishing top 10

:/
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Woke up at 5 out of habit, saw I was 4th with 14K on 10th.
    Had no reason to take t2 away from someone who might need the cover so went back to bed for an hour.
    So awesome.

Please keep this format for PVE.
  • Unknown
    Options
    pmorcs wrote:

Please don't hate me. If i could give you a Sentry cover.....I wouldn't. But i do make a mean patty melt.
  • pmorcs
    Options
    pmorcs wrote:

Please don't hate me. If i could give you a Sentry cover.....I wouldn't. But i do make a mean patty melt.

No hate - thanks for saying so. I'm trying your method next time just for the sake of my phone's battery life.