Dark Avengers Heroic: June 27 - July 3

Options

Comments

• over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Isn't this the first time ever DA: Heroic is run? So the structure couldn't be reliably predicted by anyone.
    I'm glad there was no rubberbanding on the final leg and no one's hard work for 3 subs was invalidated (well, I didn't work very hard in subs, but I timed my refreshes and health packs better than usual), and top 50 is definitely a better place to finish at than outside of top 100 if you were unable to play during the last 2-3 hours. Hope the structure sees more play.
    Kudos to my alliance mates again, 10 of us did not have She-Hulk and still put up their pile of points, sometimes better than those with She-Hulk!
  • Unknown
    Options
    I finished at 11th, 400 points behind top 10 icon_e_sad.gif As an Asian player, the last 12 hours of the event was from 12 am to 12 noon in my time icon_neutral.gif
    Still, no rubberbanding on the main means my top 20 did not turn into top 200 during the last 12 hours, which is good.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Well i joined with 3 hours to go, cause pve sucks total balls to me now. I still got my 3 Sentry covers for finishing top 10 so i'm happy.

How's that even possible without the rubberbanding? Oh right... did you manage to join an almost empty bracket by joining late?
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Deathclaw wrote:
    pasa_ wrote:
    Deathclaw wrote:
    That was the problem. There was no rubber banding. So after the last sub event, when you're thinking at the end of the phase the nodes that are 200 or so will be worth 600, like they are in every freaking event ever, and suddenly everything is capped at 400. Its the sudden "oh, no rubber band here" that did me in.

I really don't get it. RB is the thing that does people in, invalidating most of the previous work, the lead they made in subs. If there is RB and you stop grinding, you can be overtaken easily unless you are the global leader. Especially the 10-ish positions become shaky and all the interesting one below that.

Without RB everyone makes the very same point for the same play -- you can calculate ahead and either play on or watch others to move.

Also this time half nodes were goon-only and those were really the high value ones too. Playable easily with little risk. You could just skip the two top nodes with bigger DAs and rag if scared -- but with 2.5h gap even if some problem happened you could be in full shape.

I'm not defending rubber banding as mechanic. Its horribly unfair to those that put the work in. But when it is in, people plan around it. I did. I did because it was in every sub-event. I did because rubber-banding in a sub is bad for the people who put the work in, but it was there. And I planned around it. Then the last 12 hours had no rubber-banding. Yes, the points were achievable had I grinded it out. I don't know if I would have had the time, but I could have tried, and if not, I wouldn't be on here if I had known. But to sit down at the last, and see only a few nodes capped at 400, realizing only then there is no rubber banding, screwed me. Because they randomly decided that, different from the whole event, this last part wouldn't have rubber bands. So its frustrating, and in my opinion it was a bad choice to finish what was otherwise a good event.
    Not trying to pile on cause it sucks to miss out by so little, but you had a very easy solution to your issue: come here and read 3 or 4 posts that all said there was no rubberbanding and a single clear would get you 2210 points. Also, unless you were expecting that you were the global leader, you could just look at the node values in-game and see that there was no rubberbanding. I know I personally thought maybe the hidden nodes had rubberbanding (since those would likely be the hardest ones that made a little bit of sense), but that was easily checked by 1)playing them, and 2)coming here and reading this thread.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I went from rank 12 to rank 4 in last 2 hours, ended with 103963 points. To bad alliance got 106 rank
  • Unknown
    Options
    Well i joined with 3 hours to go, cause pve sucks total balls to me now. I still got my 3 Sentry covers for finishing top 10 so i'm happy. I do feel bad* for those that grinded the whole way through and didn't get them though.

* kinda

I'm guessing everyone in your alliance does not care about PVE or that are you not in one. I'm in a no pressure alliance, but I know if one of our members did that they'd probably get booted for being so selfish, but then our alliance does PVE and tries to get covers for everyone. Sounds like a good way to do it if you don't have others counting on you though.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    He's TU1, his alliance forgives him everything for all the PR he does icon_lol.gif
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Well i joined with 3 hours to go, cause pve sucks total balls to me now. I still got my 3 Sentry covers for finishing top 10 so i'm happy. I do feel bad* for those that grinded the whole way through and didn't get them though.

* kinda

I'm guessing everyone in your alliance does not care about PVE or that are you not in one. I'm in a no pressure alliance, but I know if one of our members did that they'd probably get booted for being so selfish, but then our alliance does PVE and tries to get covers for everyone. Sounds like a good way to do it if you don't have others counting on you though.
    Most of us were going for individual T10 placement because we were at 9 covers for Sentry, so 4 from PVE would fully cover him.
    So we made #59 in PVE alliance-wise, even without TU1's mighty contribution.
    And he told us before that he'd be slacking in PVE for the time being, so we're fine with that.

It helps to be in an alliance where most people can win a PVE if they feel like it's worth it, of course.
  • Unknown
    Options
    The Devs got this one spot on. It's nice waking up to discover that I wasn't screwed over in the final hours. Please keep up this format.
  • daveomite
    daveomite Posts: 1,331 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

* kinda

I'm not in TUI's alliance, but that sounds like a jerk thing to say if you don't know who he is, which it doesn't sound like you do. I mean, when you have a 20 person alliance, not everyone in it has to play balls out to get good alliance placement. Not to mention, when most of a team has the covers, would you rather all 20 of them to go all out, blocking another alliance from attaining the covers they may need?

To me though, before you call someone selfish... know who you're talking to, and realize that there are so many different things going on at the same time in this game...not everyone can possibly focus on every single thing 24/7.
  • Unknown
    Options
    That said, I am sure TU1 will grind if Django asked him to... right...? icon_e_confused.gif
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    laoahpeh wrote:
    That said, I am sure TU1 will grind if Django asked him to... right...? icon_e_confused.gif
    As long as it doesn't interfere with his heavy twerking schedule icon_e_wink.gif
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    laoahpeh wrote:
    Last time we did that he said he'd never do it again icon_lol.gif

We might get him to grind his teeth, but I don't think we could get him to grind PVE even if we asked really nicely icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    locked wrote:
    He's TU1, his alliance forgives him everything for all the PR he does icon_lol.gif

You mean that he should grind twice harder than others cause his negative PR? icon_lol.gif
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    laoahpeh wrote:

All I can say is that the grinding joke went down differently in a-force chat.
  • Unknown
    Options
    This was a nice one. Was comfortably in the top 5 pretty much the entire time (I don't think I ever dropped lower than 9), and didn't feel like I had to grind until midnight last night and still got #4. Ended up with for Sentry covers, She-Hulk, and a Lazy Daken I needed, plus a ton of ISO and some HP, and fairly little stress. I'd be just fine with this format in the future.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I get that people are mad because the new format was not announced. I myself have missed out on She Hulk by about 8k.

Look however at the big picture here. With this format you can keep your position no matter your time zone, because your work throughout the event counts, and not the last 2 refreshes.

As an EU player missing top 100 countless times before, thanks to the rubberbanding, I wholeheartedly welcome this change, and really hope that this will apply to events in the future from now on.
  • Unknown
    Options
    This seems like a decent change, speaking as someone from the UK.

Baffled why the developers keep changing things mid-event and not announcing it though. How hard would it be to announce it as the tournament starts. Seems such a basic thing to do icon_e_confused.gif
  • Unknown
    Options

* kinda

Where do i even start with this? Firstly I'm far from selfish, i've been a member of Django from the beginning, along with most others in our group. I warned them all that i would not be doing pve anymore because:
    A- I have a new job
    B- I have a 10 month old baby
    C- Time is precious

I told them if it was a problem i would gladly step down from the alliance so i would not burden them, as i would rather keep my sanity then have to do pve anymore. I play the game how I WANT TOO, not when the game dictates me too. But our alliance was great about it and they wanted me to stay, cause let's face it.....i'm amazing. I still put in my pvp scores and i still communicate and i still recruit newbies. The time when i let the game rule over my schedule is gone, and i'm happier and enjoy it more now. That is all.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    locked wrote:
    I'm glad there was no rubberbanding on the final leg and no one's hard work for 3 subs was invalidated
    I don't get why people are saying this, because I totally feel like my hard work for the 3 subs was invalidated. I grinded the **** out of them, and had a 3.5k cushion on top 10. Trust me, with rb'ing, it's not trivial to build up that much cushion. Then, due to real life, I couldn't hit the main until 3 hours to go, and there weren't even enough points available for me to reach top 10. Working my **** off for 5 1/2 days, only to have it negated because I'm tied up for one 8 hour stretch, should not be the "working as intended" format of any event.