***** Chasm (Ben Reilly) *****

Comments

• 658_2
    658_2 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Hit the champed Chasm in Sim twice (Chasm with Crystal and PPSM). Got steamrolled with BRB/Jthor/Pol, which had been steamrolling *everything* else in Sim, including a bunch of D wins. In retrospect that was a dumb team to bring, as it’s completely reliant on BRB’s initial protects, but still a total wipeout, 20+ Abyss tiles. Second time I hit with Hulkoye/3* Thanos, that one went through the Chasm team like a knife through butter. Okoye is obviously well suited for going against Chasm with her heal and her strongest color on a passive.

Rock paper scissors the devs say…
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    @trenchdigger that's mine calc?  :D 

Could someone convince that player to use Chasm with Carbage and Dr Thor/Ikaris?  :D
  • 658_2
    Hit the champed Chasm with Oko/KK/Pol and Oko/Jthor/Thor, both very easy wins. I’m sure he’ll be reasonably nasty at 550, but baby champ is nothing to worry about with the right team. Sorry to guy running champed Chasm for the hits. Just trying stuff out on this interesting character 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2022
    658_2 said:
    Hit the champed Chasm with Oko/KK/Pol and Oko/Jthor/Thor, both very easy wins. I’m sure he’ll be reasonably nasty at 550, but baby champ is nothing to worry about with the right team. Sorry to guy running champed Chasm for the hits. Just trying stuff out on this interesting character 
    I could see that. I think that if he reliably does -3ap per turn, can't be killed first, and almost always has +150% or higher match damage, then he will be a very valuable pvp character. But the absolute floor for him is that he will counter some very popular teams and will therefore have some defensive value as a deterrent.

• 658_2
    Yeah, agreed. One thing I should have mentioned, that you allude to, if your opponent is running him correctly at all, it’s not going to be like his 1/1/1 pvp, and you will have to kill him last every time. So, he’s got some defensive value like Strange (used to) for being super annoying, even if his damage doesn’t ultimately shake out to much and the stun is very avoidable.

Btw, with all the match power dominance in the game now, you’ve gotta think a counter to that is on the table, if not high priority for the devs. If you’re 550ing Chasm, given he’s only got one way to do significant damage, I think you’re taking a big risk given he could get his nuts snipped pdq with a powerful counter
  • Vhailorx
    edited August 2022
    658_2 said:
    Yeah, agreed. One thing I should have mentioned, that you allude to, if your opponent is running him correctly at all, it’s not going to be like his 1/1/1 pvp, and you will have to kill him last every time. So, he’s got some defensive value like Strange (used to) for being super annoying, even if his damage doesn’t ultimately shake out to much and the stun is very avoidable.

Btw, with all the match power dominance in the game now, you’ve gotta think a counter to that is on the table, if not high priority for the devs. If you’re 550ing Chasm, given he’s only got one way to do significant damage, I think you’re taking a big risk given he could get his nuts snipped pdq with a powerful counter
    Well, colossus already exists as a pretty strong counter to many match damage-based strategies. What other sort of counter would you expect to see? a match-damage reflector? That might be an indirect buff to chasm (as running him at 3 in his green would let you  get down to 80% match damage.  It would also make the older 5*s valuable in a weird way (so long as their health can sustain the incoming damage)

• 658_2
    Yep, a passive reflection power, tied to tanking.
  • HoundofShadow
    Scarlet Witch?
  • Vhailorx
    Scarlet Witch?

She does flat retaliation damage per damage tick. I was thinking more of a knull-purple style power that takes some % of match damage received and pushes it back at the damage dealer, thus making high-match-damage characters like colossus or SC or chasm a liability.
  • 658_2
    Exactly. The Bishop mechanic but done passively. Basically, “If She-Hulk takes 6k match damage in a turn, she deals 200% of the damage she took. This damage can not be reduced.”
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2022
    Vhailorx said:
    658_2 said:

Well, colossus already exists as a pretty strong counter to many match damage-based strategies. What other sort of counter would you expect to see?

I've long wanted a character with a passive that does damage every time the opponent steals / destroys your AP. The passive would do X amount of damage per AP stolen/destroyed with X increasing per cover rank.

In addition to being useful against Chasm it would also counter other annoying characters like Hela, 5* Yelena, She-Hulk, Hood, OBW (these always seem to be team-ups for the AI) and so on so would not just be Chasm specific.

KGB

P.S. His PVP was incredibly annoying in 4* land as it was virtually impossible to get AP to fire powers unless you boosted AP and/or got a lot of cascades. Even with web tile teams like Miles I struggled to get 6 AP to fire powers so I can only imagine what he will be like with more covers. I ended up just using +40% match damage boosts and using Colossus and other 5* and just match damaged my way to wins which is very boring.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:
    658_2 said:

Well, colossus already exists as a pretty strong counter to many match damage-based strategies. What other sort of counter would you expect to see? a match-damage reflector? That might be an indirect buff to chasm (as running him at 3 in his green would let you  get down to 80% match damage.  It would also make the older 5*s valuable in a weird way (so long as their health can sustain the incoming damage)

You mean a match damage reflection power like Knull Purple?  Or maybe like like Elektra yellow power?
  • HoundofShadow
    I used Silk and 2099 to see if it could provide defense. I managed to get + 18 defense points from a multi champed 5* player. The moment I switched to SC, I was getting defense losses.

There are a few characters that reflect certain % damage back in different ways:

Bishop: 55% to 225% of damage he's taken for those 3 turns, cd based. (6 red aps).

4* Ghost Rider: 50 to 200% of damage  targeted enemy has dealt this match. (10 black aps)

Ghostpool: 80% to 150% of damage targeted enemy has dealt this match. (6 black aps)

Knull: 20%-33% of targeted enemy's damage back to a random allies of theirs for 5 turns, cd-based. If the targeted enemy is the last AI left, the damage reflection won't work. 9 purple aps.

A passive one that reflects damage and can't be countered like Wanda's repeater or Knull's cds would likely deal a much more smaller % than Knull or Ghostpool. If not, the two other abilities would be "bad". I think 5 to 8% is probably the max they'll go, else it would be pretty broken.
  • 658_2
    Knull’s power is bad already (it’s like the old Gambit counters) and Ghostpool is a different category since his black is both cumulative and accounts for powers and not just matches. Would that power I just proposed fall outside acceptable power bands for the old devs? Yeah, they were conservative. New devs…

• HoundofShadow
    200% is too high and it's passive. It's literally every boosted characters and those in CN match damage. 6k is easily triggered. All other 4* would either be dead or left with <30% hitpoint. That's 12k damage every turn passively. 

The new dev is more daring and they also introduced the first 2x critical multiplier to the game. And we are talking about 5* She Hulk, right?
  • Vhailorx
    200% is too high and it's passive. It's literally every boosted characters and those in CN match damage. 6k is easily triggered. All other 4* would either be dead or left with <30% hitpoint. That's 12k damage every turn passively. 

The new dev is more daring and they also introduced the first 2x critical multiplier to the game. And we are talking about 5* She Hulk, right?

I think the key question on any damage reflect power is whether or not the damage must be absorbed to register.  The more damage mitigation provided by the power the lower the % of reflection should be.  But even a 20% reflection + 67% or greater damage mitigation would be devastating against SC or anyone else who can do that much damage).
  • 658_2
    edited August 2022
    Hit boosted champed Chasm in pvp. 541 Chasm/540 Okoye. Hit with SC/Carnage so of course I won, but of note, I barely took any damage. That team basically did nothing but annoyingly drain ap.
  • CharlieLima
    CharlieLima Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    658_2 said:
    Hit boosted champed Chasm in pvp. 541 Chasm/540 Okoye. Hit with SC/Carnage so of course I won, but of note, I barely took any damage. That team basically did nothing but annoyingly drain ap.
    Chasm = 5* The Hood
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,158 Chairperson of the Boards
    @fight4thedream could this thread be put in Character Details? It's currently "buried" in page 3 of General. Thanks!
  • Vhailorx
    Now that Chasm has hit the wild,  anyone have any new thoughts about him when champed?