Options
18910111214»

Comments

• atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bad said:
    I don't doubt it's fun.
    But sadly sinister, as many characters, is awful on AI's hands. He is not fool proof like colossus or SW. Also his traps tend to stale the board. With SC or sersi that problem is solved and then is pretty fun, still they will be awful on defense.
    I think elektra will perform way better with a special tiles buffer instead of him, or a charater giving special tiles like colossus, enhancing a third of her toolkit.
    Yay, Sinister is awful on defence. He is annoying to fight against but really not a threat (unless boosted to 550).
    You suggested special tiles buffer? Can you explain more? Like using Polaris?
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Colossus plus kitty, sersi, ultron, and now crystal. For to taking advante of elektra's stealing.
    Still will be slow if the enemy doesn't use special tiles but stronger on defense.
    Specially with crystal if I'm guessing it right.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Is Mr Sinister really awful on defence? I'm getting defensive wins even when he's unboosted. I used him with boosted SW in the last couple pvps and I hardly got attacked. SW/Yellow Jacket and SW/JJ can eat this team easily but I believe that Mr Sinister helps to portray the image that he will be a pain to deal with even unboosted.

As for Mr Sinister being bad at the hands of AI, all three of his abilities are AI proof. If you deal x damage, he creates trap tiles passively(black) and if you fire power, he creates trap tiles again passively (purple). As for his active blue, you fire it and forget it. 

All trap tile based characters are weak against tiles spammers, and he's not fast but he make matches slow for both players and AIs.

I can't wait to try out Crystal, Sinister and Elektra in May.
  • Bad
    Options
    He is awful because AI won't try to match the traps or try up to optimize the different traps.
    In fact boosted is quite bad because behold! damage is just about 20k plus, not x2'5 as usual and he would deal 180k damage meeting conditions.
    Besides all those conditions godboosted sinister and SW is not a team appealing to hit although they are perfectly beatable.
    Without the godboost I get a lot of hits if I dare use him.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    His trap tile triggers regardless of who matches it. When I was using Sinister, I didn't chase his trap tiles too because  Behold will deal the maximum damage more easily. The other weakness of his trap tiles are they don't trigger if destroyed by match-4.

His boosted Behold, with 8 friendly trap tiles on board, deals ~67,900 damage, which is about 1/3 of boosted 5* health.

Anyway, trap tile based characters are not a popular choice for some reason. I guess it's due to to traps dealing low to mid damage.
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think trap tile based characters are less popular because of tile spammers like Polaris. That's the primary reason I don't use them. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    His trap tile triggers regardless of who matches it. When I was using Sinister, I didn't chase his trap tiles too because  Behold will deal the maximum damage more easily. The other weakness of his trap tiles are they don't trigger if destroyed by match-4.

His boosted Behold, with 8 friendly trap tiles on board, deals ~67,900 damage, which is about 1/3 of boosted 5* health.

Anyway, trap tile based characters are not a popular choice for some reason. I guess it's due to to traps dealing low to mid damage.

No, you know why. Trap tiles are slow (they only proc on match) and unreliable (they can be overwritten by tile spammers). They are therefore outside of the meta.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    For Mr Sinister, all his trap tiles process on matches, which is unfortunate. Some other characters' trap tiles process even when destroyed, like Yelena's or Echo's.

I see the point about being overwritten frequently about trap tiles. However, between SAP and trap tiles, wouldn't trap tiles be more advantageous?

1) You can't remove them with power.
    2) You can't see where they are on the board, unless they are created on a particular colour, or unless you use JJ.

The only way you can remove them is to spam them with special tiles, which would require you bring a particular type of characters, like Apocalypse or destroy them with match-4 or greater or use power with board shake ability.
  • Bad
    Options
    I think altough elektra has traps, the sinergy with sinister is not so great: her traps will quickly activate and disappear.
    Sinister secrets traps are totally circunstancial because if you are not playing a rainbow team sinister needs to wait for foe firing a power and then the major random chain triggers:
    -the random traps should be on possible matches
    -the random color traps should be on the colors the player needs and on possible matches
    -the color the player needs should be on possible matches but needs the foe having the AP for to steal.
    Now add sinister clone traps whiches the player usually won't match for having more behold! damage.
    Behold! is great if the foe matches it away when there are a lot of traps. However they are just 3 traps for 8AP and if overwrited or destroyed the disaster is absolute.
    For these total circunstancial reasons I said before that sinister is fun but stales the board and he plays better with characters changing the board like SC or sersi.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2022
    Options
    So a couple of interesting things about Elektra’s passive purple I’ve found…..

- Multiple strikes/Attack/Protects can be stolen in a turn if they are NOT simultaneous. A lot more A/S/P tile makers don’t make simultaneous tiles than you think. Pretty much every CD and repeater that creates one each turn (Knull, Green Goblin, the Muscle goons, Odin, etc) or creates one as they fall from the top of the board (War Machine, gunner sentry). Every shield BRB makes after his CD is on the field will be stolen (got to gather 10 purple to switch Elektra to steal shield, unfortunately). 

- If a strike/Attack/Protect is buffed, Elektra steals it. I guess the game considers it a new tile and Elektra steals it. 

I really like her kit. I really like her with Knull because his black can put more purple on the field to switch her purple to shield/attack tile. 

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Good to hear details about how the passive works. As per my earlier review of her kit, I am not surprised to hear that the purple passive is useful). Too bad the purple active remains terrible, being both way too expensive and underpowered, and the red is still meh (5* tier remains desperate for a good, cheap, spammable stun).
  • MadScientist
    MadScientist Posts: 317 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I played around with Elektra, Shuma and Hawkeye. The Elektras red provided a useful red outlet that even creates a countdown tile for her friend Clint. Her yellow was sometimes nice to buy sume time until the enemy team was dead/stunlocked.