***** Odin (All-Father) *****

15678911»

Comments

• BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,158 Chairperson of the Boards
    @ThaRoadWarrior the Odin/Heimdall/Shang Chi trio you mentioned in another thread is delightful destruction. Both Heimdall and Shang at 5/5/5 is a wrecking machine that keeps going on and on and on and
    That's interesting. I assumed all the fortified tiles would be a hinderance. Is that not the case?
    It does require a fair amount of strategising. A huge benefit is that Shang’s Purple can target fortified basic tiles, which can set up double-dipping if the board is favourable. Some of the aforementioned strategising includes using Shang’s Red to set up Blue matches or his Purple to create Blue charged tiles, so that Heimdall can keep healing and fortifying. I also use Heimdall to fortify Odin’s countdown tiles in a pinch, especially if it’s near a Blue match.

I find that the charged tiles are more of a hindrance to winfinite, since Shang can’t touch those.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    The odds of fortifying a red or purple tile are high, and then Heimdall can take benefit on that, or SC can double dip matching them. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Double-dip matching on fortified tiles, particularly fortified charged tiles, is a very strong match-damage move if you can arrange it. I think people overlook that charge tiles do 300% damage as well as giving extra AP when they are matched.
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Wait. Charge tiles give extra AP when matched? How have I been overlooking that all this time?
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    Akoni said:
    Wait. Charge tiles give extra AP when matched? How have I been overlooking that all this time?
    Yup, 3x damage and 3x AP.  They are like 3 tiles in one.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Akoni said:
    Akoni said:
    So if you match a charge tile with 2 basic tile, you gain 5 ap (3+2). This is also why charge tiles are actually a strong mechanic. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    That's why I love pairing him with Rogue who can triple the damage of matches in chosen enemy's strongest colour. Throw in a critical charged match-3 and Shang-Chi multiplier would be a total of 40.5x.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2021
    This character was so poorly thought out, it is incredible how Odin just does not work. This is the Odin experience in MPQ.

His whole kit revolves around fortified tiles, that's rather neat as it is underutilized in this game. The problem is how you can get those 3 fortified tiles on the board (oh yeah, they also need to be all different colors because why not!). Odin is required to tank his colors, he needs to end up in front when the damage occurs as well, then you get 3 fortified tiles and you can get his passive going, right?

Hold on, 90% of the time the game puts those fortified tiles on 1 or 2 colors, so this doesnt work, try again! Meanwhile Odin lost quite a bit of his health bar from that, thankfully he has that healing power that gives him... a bit above 2000 health every THREE turns. And that won't occur until you have 3 fortified tiles of different colors (and that might heal Odin if only he has the lowest health).

Finally after roughly 20 turns, you might have 3 fortified tiles on different colors. Now you can truly get all of Odin's might in the form of a THREE turn CD that's not fortified, giving you rather weak strike tiles for all of this work. This might keep going if the enemy doesnt randomly destroy a fortified tile since that CD takes so long to fire.

Also, the damage reduction is not very good, because it needs to be a single hit above 5k, that doesnt happen very often unless its a power or a match-5, it takes so much setup anyway you can't even really benefit from it.

Red is OK damage, destroying a specific color can be good but sometimes the AI ends up with 30 AP it cannot use, therefore this ends up being useless.

He's bad, just awful. Yes of course you can pair him with Heimdall but seriously, this character is so bad he NEEDS to be paired with someone else to just become barely functionnal.

Is he worse than Wasp? -_-

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Odin is unique and so his playstile. In this video I recorded it can be seen doing what he does better.
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/85844/exhibition-battle-on-cn-thanks-mr-odin-take-a-break-now
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    I have Odin at 1 cover each color. Just got done fighting a good node with the NPCs that drop countdowns. I had racked up enough red attack lower to have 3 or 4 repeaters out, they enemies couldn't even fire any powers after a few rounds with the repeaters out. 

I feel like currently he's not bad if you use him for protection in harder SCL 10 nodes or challenge node. Or against goons if you get his red repeaters out he can eventually slow down or reduce how many countdowns are dropped by taking destroying enem attack power. 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,802 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm using him extensively with the boost for the first time in this PvE...he's one of the few 5* who gets worse when boosted. Mine is championed around 450.  His threshold goes way too high to be useful.

Is that a new 5* tier?  "Usable unboosted but not boosted?"
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    It is pretty funny that his whole gimmick demands he be outclassed. I think Iceman and Sinister are borderline part of that club with their damage-based damage reductions, but they both have pretty decent other things they can do when you de-prioritize their defense power.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you have Odin at 5/3/5, don't champ him. As of now, if you pair him (champed) with Colossus fighting against another Colossus, he will still jump in front when enemy Colossus makes a yellow match-3.

For the above scenario, an enemy 450 Colossus's yellow match-3 will deal only 6408 x 17% = 1090 match damage, which is way below 450 Odin's trigger point of 5792. However, Odin will still jump in front as if it crosses the trigger point but he still takes the reduced damage of 1090. This also means enemy Apocalypse's red won't trigger his jump in even if Apocalypse's repeaters are on the board.

I'm thinking of filing a bug report but I'm not sure if this "bug" is good or not. Unfortunately, my Odin has a pretty bad build so I have to champ him to respec that.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,802 Chairperson of the Boards
    At lvl452 with no boost the threshold is 5882, which is fine.  He'll jump in front on every power, and also matches for characters with boosted match damage.

With the boost the threshold goes to 14,831. 

I haven't seen him jump in front yet.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I was running him some in Simulator, and it kind of seemed like he was absorbing all 4 hits of Scuttlebutt when enemy BRB would fire that. He didn't seem to be reducing them at all, same as Apocalypse's red, which is hot garbage for a defense power - basically the same as Hammercap's nerfed power in that way.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    I truly don't understand how his damage reduction works, if it does at all, doesnt seem to work most of the time.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    Damage reduction only works when he’s not in front + there’s 3 or more forts. He’ll then jump in front and mitigate the damage done by whatever %+ how many forts are on the field.