***** Odin (All-Father) *****

Comments

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2021
    If he is not tanking some colors he will be good on defense but not on offense where he needs to take hits and to create fortifying. 
    Perhaps in that case he collides with okoye's playstyle.
    Did I say at some time that okoye users are bounded to her and that they cannot fully enjoy a lot of new characters? And that she should be rebalanced?
    Oh yes, I think I already said that in the past.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah because pvp is absolutely full of okoye. Especially since god boost came along. 

Okoye has nothing to do with why I think Odin is going to be poor in pick 2. I don’t enjoy 27 of the 5*s I don’t have champed because they are trash, not because of okoye but because quite clearly I don’t need them to hit goals.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just to kind of refine my stance a bit too - I don't know that i'm going to "like" using Odin in the same way I didn't "like" running Bishop offensively, I just expect my queues to be completely logjammed with Odin-based defense teams, especially if some character who can exploit not being in front comes along to synergize. But even if it's just Colossus/Odin or more likely 5Witch/Odin, I foresee that being the sea we are wading through for a bit.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hmm. I was originally going to hoard my CP and probably wait for Odin to go into latest but I just noticed that Thanos is in Odin's release store and I only need a couple of covers to champ him. Decisions, decisions.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    Hmm. I was originally going to hoard my CP and probably wait for Odin to go into latest but I just noticed that Thanos is in Odin's release store and I only need a couple of covers to champ him. Decisions, decisions.
    I always wanted thanos and only need a few covers myself. But I now play totally in CL10 and really wouldn’t use him ever. Even on his god boost week hitting him in pvp didn’t cause me a seconds hesitation but if you want him for speed in pvp I can see the attraction. I quite like the idea of more doom covers but not with the other two.

I can wait.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2021
    the current latest and now Odin give you a lot of time to keep hoarding.
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    I'm glad I broke my hoard on SW, Colossus, Knull. Prior to SW/Colossus there had been very few 5s worthwhile. I like Odin enough I could pull his LL store if there were a couple other decent 5s, but I'm not interested who's in there now. Hopefully the next couple 5s will be very interesting. If he'd end up being the worst of who's in the LL store down the road then I might open the current hoard I'm restocking.
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    tonypq said:
    I'm glad I broke my hoard on SW, Colossus, Knull. Prior to SW/Colossus there had been very few 5s worthwhile. I like Odin enough I could pull his LL store if there were a couple other decent 5s, but I'm not interested who's in there now. Hopefully the next couple 5s will be very interesting. If he'd end up being the worst of who's in the LL store down the road then I might open the current hoard I'm restocking.

If you go back and look they only release a handful of top tier 5s every year so when you see a couple of them together you better pull.
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    Bravo to whoever came up with the store name: Gods and Ends
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    And what's cool is that all of them are sitting on their thrones.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just don’t get this character. He jumps in front to take the heavy hit but even if it’s a big cascade, he just takes all the damage unless somewhere along the line, the threshold for his yellow is reached AFTER he jumps in front so he makes fortified tiles. If he’s already in front, then he just takes all the damage anyway and makes 3 fortified tiles. 

Yay?

its quite convuluted. You want him to tank early to get the fortified tiles on the board. But after the forts are up, the last place you want him is up front. Because he only mitigates the damage when he’s NOT in front. So I guess you only want him to tank maybe 2, 3 colors max? So you have to try to plan for the next hit to tank be over the threshold for his yellow, while Odin matches his color, then hide. 

Without a guy who quickly fortifies 3 or more tiles, I’m not finding a team for him. Everything he can do well, is based off of him having a board with 3 or more forts on the field. And THEN, he has to NOT tank. 

I’m at a loss. 

• Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just don’t get this character. He jumps in front to take the heavy hit but even if it’s a big cascade, he just takes all the damage unless somewhere along the line, the threshold for his yellow is reached AFTER he jumps in front so he makes fortified tiles. If he’s already in front, then he just takes all the damage anyway and makes 3 fortified tiles. 

Yay?

its quite convuluted. You want him to tank early to get the fortified tiles on the board. But after the forts are up, the last place you want him is up front. Because he only mitigates the damage when he’s NOT in front. So I guess you only want him to tank maybe 2, 3 colors max? So you have to try to plan for the next hit to tank be over the threshold for his yellow, while Odin matches his color, then hide. 

Without a guy who quickly fortifies 3 or more tiles, I’m not finding a team for him. Everything he can do well, is based off of him having a board with 3 or more forts on the field. And THEN, he has to NOT tank. 

I’m at a loss. 

Shang-Chi will tank everything after a few combo points. I think the idea could be let Odin tank until some fortified are on the board, then build your combo. Heimdall might be an interesting 3rd. Of course, Shang-Chi will go winfinite if played efficiently so there is that.
  • HoundofShadow
    You get this guy to tank in the beginning and once his fortication is rolling, he'll be sitting at the back waiting for opportunity to take one damage.

You can put him with characters who can fortify, like Hawkeye, Goblin, Heimdall, Shuri, Lizard, Human Torch.

These are the teams I have tried with him.

Wanda/Silk

Ronan/Wanda
    Ronan/Misty Knight
    Ronan/Goblin

Lizard/Wanda

Goblin/Iceman
    Goblin/OMD

OMD/4* Human Torch
    OMD/Cable

I find OMD and Human Torch really awesome with Odin. They are one hell of an ap-denial + death by repeaters team. Misty Knight and Ronan was pretty fun with those extra healings from Misty Knight. I like Ronan and Goblin too.

• Tiger_Wong
    Ronan/Goblin is the team I think he’s best with (that I’ve tried). But it’s really dependent on getting Ronan’s blue repeaters out and hoping Odin can tank early, but not late. That team is fragile, even for a 5* team. 

I’ll see if I can do something with him and Misty and/or Monica. 

I thought at first, Odin would be the a good counter to 5* Colossus and maybe Switch. But Odin’s strange defensive mechanics on offense are making me doubt it now.

• HoundofShadow
    Odin's jump in seems to be a little buggy. It doesn't take into account of Apocalypse's repeaters (and some other damage increment.) 

OMD feeds Odin's red power and when you fire it, Human Torch fortifies three friendly repeaters. You can put Odin's repeater on any colour.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    The way I see him, odin is not a character for to build a team for him.
    In pvp he will protect dangerous partner characters, in pve he will be of great support to his team against heavy damagers until the team gets enough AP for to finish it.
    I think it's not a character created for to survive, however in pve can be equipped yaro root and then his time support will be increased.
    With him it is possible to attempt challenge nodes that before him always were relying on a lucky board.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Bad said:
    The way I see him, odin is not a character for to build a team for him.
    In pvp he will protect dangerous partner characters, in pve he will be of great support to his team against heavy damagers until the team gets enough AP for to finish it.
    I think it's not a character created for to survive, however in pve can be equipped yaro root and then his time support will be increased.
    With him it is possible to attempt challenge nodes that before him always were relying on a lucky board.
    This outlook helped me out a lot. I now understand I was using him incorrectly by trying to build a team around him. Odin+Heimdall is a duo that helps pump up one character. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Odin/Heimdall/Shuri is a really fun team actually, where you prioritize Heimdall's red once you have some fortifications out.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,158 Chairperson of the Boards
    @ThaRoadWarrior the Odin/Heimdall/Shang Chi trio you mentioned in another thread is delightful destruction. Both Heimdall and Shang at 5/5/5 is a wrecking machine that keeps going on and on and on and
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,909 Chairperson of the Boards
    @ThaRoadWarrior the Odin/Heimdall/Shang Chi trio you mentioned in another thread is delightful destruction. Both Heimdall and Shang at 5/5/5 is a wrecking machine that keeps going on and on and on and
    That's interesting. I assumed all the fortified tiles would be a hinderance. Is that not the case?